Forums

Topic: Why Would Wii U Owners Be Burned if NX Home Console Launches In 2016?

Posts 101 to 120 of 170

NinChocolate

TingLz wrote:

I still remember my tiny TV back when I had a Gamecube. I still wonder how the heck I played on that thing

To this very day my favorite TV to game on is my 7" CRT. I just love it's mini CRT-ness. I even hook my Wii U up to it and play games like MK8. It makes no sense but I just like it

NinChocolate

Therad

Also, to even get the benefit of the 4k resolution you need to sit close to the TV. Something like 4 feet (1.2m) from a 55 inch (if I remember correctly). Most living room have their couch further away, which means you need to have an even bigger TV.

Only if you are a PC-gamer, 4k might be ok.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

skywake

NinChocolate wrote:

I also don't see a need for gaming to quickly go 4K. 4K photography is a great thing but computer graphics for gaming just don't need that detail as fast as we can get it, which is still a ways off because pushing full 4K in real time for games that take advantage of photorealistic presentation requires some serious power. I'm not convinced that even games with photorealistic styles need 4K anytime soon.

A lot of the best looking pre-rendered 1080p content is rendered at 4K. Because if you have the horsepower running the game at a higher resolution and downscaling it is better than any other AA technique. If you can render it at 4K natively? Well you get all of the benefits of super sampling but you don't have that downscaling penalty and you can actually display a higher level of detail.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

NinChocolate

skywake wrote:

NinChocolate wrote:

I also don't see a need for gaming to quickly go 4K. 4K photography is a great thing but computer graphics for gaming just don't need that detail as fast as we can get it, which is still a ways off because pushing full 4K in real time for games that take advantage of photorealistic presentation requires some serious power. I'm not convinced that even games with photorealistic styles need 4K anytime soon.

A lot of the best looking pre-rendered 1080p content is rendered at 4K. Because if you have the horsepower running the game at a higher resolution and downscaling it is better than any other AA technique. If you can render it at 4K natively? Well you get all of the benefits of super sampling but you don't have that downscaling penalty and you can actually display a higher level of detail.

I'm talking about timing, not the inevitability or benifits of 4K. I don't think consoles need to promise 4K before other things come into place (not that I'm saying that is presently the case with platform holders). In the meantime there are other technologies that can be explored for the sake of the gaming experience that would benifit from lower output resolution that, I feel, shouldn't be limited or remain unexplored by the priority of 4K console gaming above all else (again, not saying that I'm seeing this, I would just like to see more innovation with other technologies when it comes to console gaming)

NinChocolate

NinChocolate

skywake wrote:

NinChocolate wrote:

I also don't see a need for gaming to quickly go 4K. 4K photography is a great thing but computer graphics for gaming just don't need that detail as fast as we can get it, which is still a ways off because pushing full 4K in real time for games that take advantage of photorealistic presentation requires some serious power. I'm not convinced that even games with photorealistic styles need 4K anytime soon.

A lot of the best looking pre-rendered 1080p content is rendered at 4K. Because if you have the horsepower running the game at a higher resolution and downscaling it is better than any other AA technique. If you can render it at 4K natively? Well you get all of the benefits of super sampling but you don't have that downscaling penalty and you can actually display a higher level of detail.

I'm talking about timing, not the inevitability or benifits of 4K. I don't think consoles need to promise 4K before other things come into place (not that I'm saying that is presently the case with platform holders). In the meantime there are other technologies that can be explored for the sake of the gaming experience that would benifit from lower output resolution that, I feel, shouldn't be limited or remain unexplored by the priority of 4K console gaming above all else (again, not saying that I'm seeing this, I would just like to see more innovation with other technologies when it comes to console gaming)

NinChocolate

shadow-wolf

@cwong15 I understand your point about Super Paper Mario, but two things:

First of all, it's possible the servers for Wii U and 3DS would be up for longer. Apparently the Wii and DS servers were third-party, which costed $ and wasn't worth to keep after a certain point. The Wii U and 3DS servers are first-party, which means theoretically they should be around for longer (especially considering the release of games like Super Mario Maker and Splatoon in 2015).

Second, I know you were using it to make a point, but if you were actually considering buying Super Paper Mario, there is a refurbished version on Nintendo's website for $15: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizeP...

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

Octane

@smm1: The company that owned the Wii's and DS' servers went out of bussiness.

Octane

Octane

Therad wrote:

Another rumour, Foxconn apparently believes their operating profit will increase in the second half of the year thanks to iPhone and NX. If this is true, NX might very well come out this holiday.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1193847

Be careful with your wording. Foxconn hasn't said anything; investors believe operating profit will increase. That's quite different.

Octane

rallydefault

Are we really still debating if NX is coming out in 2016? It is, people! Accept it and move on lol

The real discussion is now dealing with the form factor and launch titles.

rallydefault

DefHalan

@rallydefault: Not sure if people are debating when the NX is releasing, but we have been debating on what it is lol

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

NintendoFan64

rallydefault wrote:

Are we really still debating if NX is coming out in 2016? It is, people! Accept it and move on lol

Until Nintendo themselves say that it's being released this year, that's just speculation.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

rallydefault

NintendoFan64 wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Are we really still debating if NX is coming out in 2016? It is, people! Accept it and move on lol

Until Nintendo themselves say that it's being released this year, that's just speculation.

@DefHalan: Uhm... do you want a few more examples? lol

There are lots of people in this thread still deluding themselves.

rallydefault

DefHalan

@rallydefault: Well, @NintendoFan64 isn't wrong. I just think most of the conversation is about what the NX is, not when it will release.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

rallydefault

@DefHalan: You're right - technically he's not wrong right now. But he will be soon.

Anyway, your initial post was, "Not sure if people are debating when the NX is releasing..." So... yea...I answered that by posting somebody who IS debating it lol.

I mean, you typed those words, not me. Don't try to take them back now haha

rallydefault

DefHalan

@rallydefault: I think you need to calm down. You seem to want to fight about anything and everything people say. We are just having a discussion.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

NintendoFan64

rallydefault wrote:

@DefHalan: You're right - technically he's not wrong right now. But he will be soon

We don't know for a fact that I'm wrong. Maybe I am, maybe I'm not, but to be completely honest, I really don't like this "Everyone who says something I don't is wrong" attitude of yours.

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

shaneoh

NintendoFan64 wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

@DefHalan: You're right - technically he's not wrong right now. But he will be soon

We don't know for a fact that I'm wrong. Maybe I am, maybe I'm not, but to be completely honest, I really don't like this "Everyone who says something I don't is wrong" attitude of yours.

Technically the statement you made couldn't ever be wrong (at least as far as I can see).

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

Are we really still debating if NX is coming out in 2016? It is, people! Accept it and move on lol

The real discussion is now dealing with the form factor and launch titles.

It seems more likely given the amount of stuff coming out. And by stuff I mean talk from places like Foxconn and not the rumour mill. I think we're looking at a launch within the next year or so but I don't think 2017 is completely impossible. I could see them potentially doing a March 2017 launch especially if they want to give some current gen releases (Zelda U, Pokemon) a bit of clear air.

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DjLewe78

On Sunday night I was looking at neogaf and a post came up with lots of pictures of what I think were E3 application forms for developers and hardware manufacturers briefly asking for information on what they were showing and embargo dates. Regrettably I didn't look at them all as most of them were just the questions with no answers. However I read 1 that had info about the NX and 2 games (the bit with games on was a separate box with a scroll bar so it could only show 2 games as it was a still picture but there were more).
The games were beyond good and evil 2 and earthbound HD.
There was a description of the NX, I can't remember the exact words but it was along the lines of "Nintendo Is releasing an insanely powerful console and has immense 3rd party support" there may have been more buy it's all I can remember.
I wasn't really convinced by it at first as it just didnt sound like Nintendo using words like "insanely", but then the comments underneath were basically saying, "take this down, you shouldn't have shown this, your in trouble dude!"
I went to bed as it was late but I was interested.
In the morning the post was gone.
Is this interesting as I don't know what to think?

1 up !

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic