Forums

Topic: Why Would Wii U Owners Be Burned if NX Home Console Launches In 2016?

Posts 1 to 20 of 170

WebHead

Legitimate question. Why would it be the end of the world? Why would you feel wronged?

Yes it's not the usual life cycle but circumstances. Anyone complain when DS launched 3 years after GBA or Xbox 360 launch 4 years after Xbox?

I mean it still got big high quality Nintendo titles like Splatoon or Super Mario Maker. Wii U was never promised Super Mario Galaxy 3. It was never promised a new metroid game. It was never promised a new f zero game. It was never promised GameCube VC.

And wouldn't you rather Wii U end with a bang in 2016 rather than whimper in 2017 which would be in its 5th year, like idk the last 3 home consoles? Besides they're not just gonna suddenly stop selling Wii u in stores.

If you aren't ready yet, than just don't buy it day one. If you want to play the new Zelda on Wii U than just get it on Wii u.

So really...what's the big deal? How are you being wronged? /rant.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

rallydefault

For anyone with a disposable income and buying rights of their own, it's really not a big deal unless they want to make it into some kind of morals thing (and any time you try to shoehorn "morals" onto a corporate structure, well... the battle's already been lost lol).

And again, I REALLY don't buy the "it's too much money in a short span of time!" crap that some people come up with. Really? 300 bucks is going to break a reasonably fiscally responsible person? If I would look at what the average person buys every dang day in Dunkin' Donuts coffees, office lunches, etc., I'd have hundreds of dollars a week spent on garbage that you don't need or could do cheaper yourself. It's all in the decisions you choose to make. If you want to spend 50 bucks a week on flavored coffees and artisanal bagels every morning, that's your prerogative. But, in my eyes, it kind of removes your ability to whine about a 300$ console.

rallydefault

skywake

WebHead wrote:

Legitimate question. Why would it be the end of the world? Why would you feel wronged?

As someone who still thinks the NX could be a portable I think your question is the wrong one. It's not at all like that. The question you should be asking is whether or not I'd be happy with the 3DS not being replaced this year.

That latest Direct some people took as "proof" of their theories about the NX. I didn't see it quite like that. You know what stood out to me? The fact that the games coming out on the Wii U look pretty decent. Especially when placed alongside 3DS trailers. Paper Mario in particular. Also the fact that as someone who owns an "old" 3DS I had to constantly wonder whether or not the game would run as well on my portable.

I'd jump on a new Nintendo portable on day 1 even if it only had one game of interest. I'm already sold on the idea of moving on from my 3DS. And this is purely because of the hardware that is holding it back. On the Wii U if you put all the whine about software and sales aside the hardware is still good. It's not blowing people's minds by any means but it's definitely passable. Especially for indies and games with a non-realistic artstyle.

I personally felt that the Wii was done in terms of the hardware in 2009 or so. I never really felt that way about the DS until they showed what they were doing on the 3DS. With the 3DS I was ready to move on around late 2014 or so. With the Wii U I'm not particularly feeling much of a reason for an upgrade yet. Basically if I could swap out the GPU for my consoles as I can for my PC I'd do it for my 3DS but not my Wii U.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

iKhan

Personally, the sooner NX comes out, the happier I'll be. I don't like the Wii U. Every other game on the system is disappointing to me. The sooner the games I do like can stop being locked down to a console with that has no other reason for me to purchase it, the better.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

iKhan wrote:

Personally, the sooner NX comes out, the happier I'll be. I don't like the Wii U. Every other game on the system is disappointing to me. The sooner the games I do like can stop being locked down to a console with that has no other reason for me to purchase it, the better.

I can guarantee that at launch and for a few years after the NX will have less games than the Wii U does. The only reason to replace console hardware is to open up new options for software. There's not going to be something magical about new hardware that suddenly resolves all of the issues you have with the Wii U. The Wii U's "problem" is sales and people's perception that it's a bad console because of that. These things aren't resolved in hardware.

Unless your issue is aliasing, resolution and framerate there's little reason to put out new hardware. Which is the issue I have with the content being released on the 3DS currently. I don't see it as being the main issue of any game on the Wii U.

Edited on by skywake

Therad

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I can guarantee that at launch and for a few years after the NX will have less games than the Wii U does. The only reason to replace console hardware is to open up new options for software. There's not going to be something magical about new hardware that suddenly resolves all of the issues you have with the Wii U. The Wii U's "problem" is sales and people's perception that it's a bad console because of that. These things aren't resolved in hardware.

Unless your issue is aliasing, resolution and framerate there's little reason to put out new hardware. Which is the issue I have with the content being released on the 3DS currently. I don't see it as being the main issue of any game on the Wii U.

I think you underestimate the marketing potential of a launch. Otherwise you could say the same about the competition, was their biggest problem really just graphics?

Nintendo has also known for years where the Wii U is heading. It isn't a surprise for them.

The latest direct felt very 3ds-centric to me. Especially they had a heavy focus on New 3ds. I haven't really examined the games coming out, but it felt like 3ds had more games with nintendo IPs coming to it. That other companies put out games for Wii U or 3ds doesn't really say anything, since they won't have the whole picture of Nintendo's future plans.

Therad

iKhan

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Honestly, I'm kind of hoping the NX (if it's a console), has Wii U backward compatibility, because you are right, it won't have more games than Wii U at launch or for at least a year. But I just can't justify buying a console that I will only ever want 6-9 games for in it's lifespan. An extra year on the system isn't going to change that much.

I'm hoping that the NX somehow finds a way to be more successful and find 3rd party support. And yes, that is something that can be fixed with a new set of hardware. Obviously if it's a console launching 2016 it can't be a powerhouse, so Nintendo will have to go the Wii route and put something forth so intriguing everyone is going to want to try it.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

Therad wrote:

I think you underestimate the marketing potential of a launch. Otherwise you could say the same about the competition, was their biggest problem really just graphics?

You mean in the transition from the PS3/360 to PS4/XBOne? Then yes. The transition was all about a jump in visuals. Because there wasn't any other reason to buy those new consoles.

Therad wrote:

The latest direct felt very 3ds-centric to me. Especially they had a heavy focus on New 3ds. I haven't really examined the games coming out, but it felt like 3ds had more games with nintendo IPs coming to it.

The only New 3DS exclusive piece of content was the SNES VC. I suspect a few of the other games will run poorly on the "old" 3DS but from what I can tell none were New 3DS exclusive. Also a lot of the games coming to 3DS are already out in Japan. These are games that just need localisation. Kirby was the only game for the 3DS that was a "real" new game announcement.

It's also worth remembering that this won't be the only time Nintendo announces stuff this year. Often these early year Directs have been used to reduce the amount of time they need to talk about stuff at E3. You guys may be right that there's not a lot for the Wii U this year. We may happen to know all there is to know about the Wii U's lineup. However they could just as easily be going the other way. They could be getting the 3DS news out of the way now so they don't even have to mention it at E3.

iKhan wrote:

Honestly, I'm kind of hoping the NX (if it's a console), has Wii U backward compatibility, because you are right, it won't have more games than Wii U at launch or for at least a year [...] I'm hoping that the NX somehow finds a way to be more successful and find 3rd party support. And yes, that is something that can be fixed with a new set of hardware.

The only way I can see them magically being more appealing to third parties with just new hardware is if they change the architecture. Move to x86. Because having an install base is the only other way they can do it and they won't get that out of the gate. And if that's the way they go they won't have backwards compatibility. At least not without some kind of (slow) work around along the lines of what Microsoft is doing on the XBOne. Even then there's the issue of controls.....

Edited on by skywake

Octane

@skywake: I'm starting to consider the possibility of a handheld in early 2017 as well, followed by a new home console, probably later that year. The 3DS was released in March too. If there's more integration between the two systems, it does make sense to release them relatively close to each other.

And if that's the case, 2016 will be a regular year for both systems. The 3DS software is lacking in Japan from a first party perspective, but I'm sure they'll survive another year on other third party games.

Octane

skywake

@Octane: I've thought all along that we'll probably get both by the end of 2017. It's just my view that if they do one first and early the portable would make more sense.

haigh1011

The Wii U is dead and the 2nd half of 2016 is offering nothing for the comsumer, There is no way Nintendo are going to wait till 2017 to release the NX and they are not going to waste a great Zelda title on it. I can't see why people aren't happy about this, the Wii U has had its time and now its time to move on

Edited on by haigh1011

haigh1011

Grumblevolcano

@haigh1011: It seems you either don't know about or forgot about what happened to SEGA in the early 2000s by doing exactly the same thing. In fact maybe Nintendo's position is even worse due to the confirmation that Federation Force still exists and Paper Mario Wii U is basically Sticker Star 2.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WebHead

@skywake: it's not going to be a portable first. -_-

WebHead

Grumblevolcano

@haigh1011: In short, the Saturn was a commercial failure so they abandoned it early by releasing the Dreamcast after 4 years despite the Saturn not having certain key franchises like a Sonic platformer. This lead to the Dreamcast flopping and then SEGA became a third party company for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft consoles. Sounds familiar don't you think?

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

haigh1011

@Grumblevolcano: Yeah don't really think that will ever happen with Nintendo, They got enough money to stuff up the next 3 console and it wouldn't bother them and thats their problem because they want to really push the limits with there new products. If the the NX was coming out in 2017 they would be promoting the hell out Zelda U now but there not because they are going to promote it with the NX

Edited on by haigh1011

haigh1011

WebHead

I really do not understand why it's so unthinkable. Xbox 360 came out 4 years after Xbox and DS came out 3 years after GBA, both of which were very successful.

NX is probably launching this year. It's probably home console first then handheld next. Zelda is probably a crossgen game. Deal with it.

WebHead

Grumblevolcano

I think it is likely but I also think Nintendo will be punished by doing so.

Grumblevolcano

WebHead

Not to be mean but with the evidence and leaks being legit, I think anyone that denies it at this point is due to emotional investment in Wii u.

WebHead

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.