Forums

Topic: Why the Nintendo Switch needs SD card save data backup

Posts 61 to 80 of 150

LuckyLand

@skywake
"If you're emulating the game what happens on the console itself is of no consequence"

I have completed the game on the console, I did not use Dolphin back then, I only started using Dolphin a few years after Wii U was released and I didn't have my Wii plugged to the TV anymore.

Having my backup is a right I should be granted, it's not like it matters if Nintendo care about where or when I can enjoy it, they of course don't care about anything else than money, but if they don't give me what I ask for in a console then I lost my interest in their product and I give them a lot less money (I myself strarted buying a lot less games for Switch. The last time I bought a game was at least 3 months ago, and I'm not going to buy anything else except Smash bros this year. I used to spend at least 15 euro on Switch every month, often more, before. I've read online about people who have sold the console because of those issues and refuse to buy anything Nintendo anymore unless they solve those problems, people who love Nintendo since the NES)

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

skywake

LuckyLand wrote:

I have completed the game on the console, I did not use Dolphin back then, I only started using Dolphin a few years after Wii U was released and I didn't have my Wii plugged to the TV anymore.

Yes, I know you've found the one very specific scenario where manual backups of saves are more useful than cloud saves. If you brought the game legitimately years ago and then want to continue playing it later via questionably legal methods on an emulator? Sure. But that's a very, very specific scenario.

What do you care what Nintendo does if you're emulating? If you're emulating you've broken the system wide open anyways. If you're going that far you have full control over everything, not just the saves. Years down the road if/when you're doing that you're probably taking advantage of some tool that lets you circumvent Nintendo's control of save data anyways.

And even if there isn't, why should Nintendo cater for this scenario anyway? You're using tools that enable piracy of their content. They're not at all obliged to make any of that more convenient for you.

LuckyLand wrote:

It's not like it matters if Nintendo care about where or when I can enjoy it, they of course don't care about anything else than money

I can tell you now that allowing copying of save data to the Micro-SD card wouldn't cost them a thing. They'd well and truly be financially better off by not offering cloud saves at all and just having a lax attitude to the whole thing like they did on Wii U, Wii & 3DS. But they know that by locking down this sort of stuff the end user experience for online in general is better. It's the same reason why Microsoft have also locked this down.

LuckyLand wrote:

I've read online about people who have sold the console

It's the internet, people say that kind of crap all the time. There's a culture of people wanting to gain sympathy from the other side of the screen for how hard done by they are. People taking a stand against a toy company for controlling the terms by which you interact with the toy. Basking in the cheers from others doing the same, using dissenting comments as proof of how much smarter they are. It's not a particularly healthy mindset.

I must admit, I don't care about my game save data as some of you clearly do. If I lost my hundreds of hours save file for BotW? Well it wouldn't be ideal but it wouldn't be the end of the world either. I wouldn't go online complaining about how my rights as a consumer had been violated. I played the game, I got my money's worth of entertainment out of it and I'd still be able to load the game up again.

And even if I did care that much it's not like Nintendo hides this from you as a consumer. If you brought a Switch you knew coming into it that they were offering a paid online service. You knew that there was fair chance that cloud saves would likely be a part of that subscription. If you were savvy enough to have been the type of person to take advantage of save backups on previous systems? You would have known how saves were handled on the Switch, if you cared that much you would have done some research. If you buy the Switch anyway it's on you, not Nintendo

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

LuckyLand

When I bought Swiitch I absolutely didn't know that saves backup were not available nor did I even remotely imagined it. I would have never believed that Nintendo was going to USE this defect of their console to promote an online service that I already knew I did not want to pay because I never liked multiplayer and never cared about it.

When I bought Switch I thought "the worst thing possible is that there will not be a multimedia player. I really want it, but this new console look absolutely great, I want it anyway! And even if there will not be a multimedia player at first they could release it in an update in the futrure!"
Now it turns out that the lack of a multimedia player is not the worst problem, but the less important one instead. This console could be the best thing ever made in the gaming industry but right now it is soimething that's not worth any investment for me.

I want to play Smash bros, but I'm so disappointed by this console that I'm not even happy when I think about it.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

skywake

@LuckyLand
It's a toy, not an investment. Also can I ask whether or not you ever backed up saves on 3DS, Wii or Wii U? Sure you transferred one Wii save across to an emulator that one time but did you ever use it for backing up your saves while you were actively using the system? Because if you didn't you never took advantage of this thing you are now claiming is critical to your enjoyment of this toy. Which I think is a bit of a farce

And if you did take advantage of it on those systems did you buy any games on cartridge for the 3DS? Did you buy Smash Bros, Animal Crossing or Mario Kart on Wii? Did you at any point own a DS or GBA? And if so why were you not similarly outraged on those occasions? I'm genuinely curious about how you can justify suddenly behaving as if this is the end of the world

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

LuckyLand

@skywake I play games because I don't like reality. Games for me are not a toy, they are the reality I can choose instead of the one that has been imposed to me.
Also, they actually are an investment since everybody, not just me or people like me, put both money and time into them. That's literally an investment.

PS: I never backed up saves on DS/3DS because I'm not a big fan of the DS systems and never cared that much about them. Same goes for the Wii U.
I backed up saves of several Wii games because I loved Wii and many of its games. I never had to actually use them while I was using my Wii console, and this is a good thing, but I felt a lot better knowing that I had them in a safe place.
I bought every Wii game I wanted, I never played a Wii, DS/3DS and Wii U game that I haven't bought.

PS2: I think in modern games saves backup is much more important than in older games. I had a GBA (even if I prefer the older Gameboy which I had too) and it wouldn't be that important to have saves backup in a console with games like those. As I said it is always useful, but for me it becomes really indispensable when you play games like Elder Scrolls, and Switch is the first Nintendo console that has games like this.
Except Animal crossing, but since that game recognizes if you are not playing it properly (for example your town gets ruined if you load an old save because it's like you didn't care about the village for too long) I'm ruling it out even if imho this game would be more enjoyable without punishing mechanics like this. I like Animal crossing but those punishing mechanics make me unable to truly enjoy it. I decided to never buy another Animal Crossing game because of those unless developers will decide to get rid of them

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

DannyBoi

@LuckyLand You say exaxctly what I think. And while I think Nintendo does not owe us SD card backup, it should be expected of any company to provide alternative backup methods. I thinkthe handling of save backup on the Nintendo Switch has been poor. Console launches with noway to backup saves. On May 8th this year they announce cloud save. That took them over aYEAR to sort. From May 8th, to September(?? release date ??) we have had towait another 4 months.Meanwhile our saves are still at risk during this time. And Nintendoact likeit is allsorted and that there isnothing wrong, plus they think that they can get away with not adding an alternative method of backup? It is all poor.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

skywake

LuckyLand wrote:

I never backed up saves on 3DS or Wii U

/thread

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

LuckyLand

skywake wrote:

LuckyLand wrote:

I never backed up saves on 3DS or Wii U

/thread

Because I never liked 3DS that much and WiiU totally disgusted me, it was just pure crap.
You want me to backup things that I don't like and don't care about? You're becoming ridiculous now

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

skywake

@LuckyLand
You had the option and never did. This is why manual save backups are worthless. /thread

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DannyBoi

I believe there is enough demand for SD card backup, now all Nintendo have to do is act on it.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

skywake

DannyBoi wrote:

I believe there is enough demand for SD card backup, now all Nintendo have to do is act on it.

Counting the people in this thread:
100% yes, pitchforks at the ready: 3
Indifferent: 8

and 1 of whatever this is.....

Shellcore wrote:

It certainly isn't a deal breaker for me whilst its $20. It still may be for some people. For me, its the principle

And this is a heavily biased sample of people who:
1. Care enough about games and their time spent on them to be on a game fan site
2. Are technical enough to be on a forum talking about games and would likely know how to backup saves
3. Clicked on a thread about backing up save data

.... if you can't get a majority here you haven't really proven that there's a "demand"

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

LuckyLand

skywake wrote:

@LuckyLand
You had the option and never did. This is why manual save backups are worthless. /thread

I did not even care when my first X-Box got broken never fixed it and just threw it in the trash. That means it is fine if a console gets broken and you can already throw your Switch in the trash right now.
Do you even read what I write, do you understand what I mean when I say that I did not like DS/3DS and was disgusted by WiiU? Give me a reason why I should keep save backups of games I don't care about on systems I don't like.
Have you read where I said that I kept (and keep still now) several Wii save backups because I loved Wii and many of its games???
Have you even any remote will to hear what others have to say instead of extrapolate the only few words that out of their context make it seems that you are right???

PS: I don't like Dreamcast and never owned one, but if you really want me to I could buy one and play its games that I don't like so I can make a backup or their save data. Since it seems like now it is my duty to backup every kind of save data for every game out there.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

DannyBoi

Keep in mind that no one would be complaining about this if Nintendo had not excluded it from the Switch.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

skywake

My point from the start is that nobody took advantage of this even when it was an option. And on previous systems where it wasn't, like the 3DS if you brought physical copies of games, they didn't care. It's for some reason a massive deal now and I can't figure out why other than it being yet another case of faux online outrage.

@LuckyLand
You're the one that is trying to argue that the Switch is utterly worthless because it lacks this feature. I'm just highlighting the absurdity of this statement given you owned a Wii U and 3DS and never took advantage of it there. The fact that you go even further and describe the Wii U as discussing crap and the Switch is fantastic is just icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

@DannyBoi
I ask you the same questions.
1. Did you protest with previous systems where this wasn't an option?
2. When this was an option did you take advantage of it? How often did you actually use it?
3. Will you be paying for the subscription?

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DannyBoi

And if Satoru Iwata(may you rest in peace, my wonderful man) was still with us today, I do not know what he wouldthink of the lack of SD card backup. He would either be shaking his head in complete confusion(at the stupidity of not including it), or would be at least considering adding it.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

skywake

DannyBoi wrote:

And if Satoru Iwata was still with us today, I do not know what he would think of the lack of SD card backup

By god people have short term memories. This isn't the first time people have had their pitchforks out over something Nintendo is adding. It's not even near the most controversial. It's certainly not the first time people have gone crazy about Nintendo charging for something they assumed should be free. Remember when Nintendo offered discounts for upgrading your Wii VC games to the Wii U?

I think it's pretty low of you to be using someone who's dead as if they are somehow on your side like this.

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DannyBoi

In respons to your questions Skywake: 1.Before the Wii, most consoles used memeory cards, so there was no issue with save backup, so no, I didnot complain 2. On the Wii I used it a lot(altough unfortunately, not every game allowed it) 3. Yes, but I do a lot of travelling, so alot of the time I do not have acess to the cloud, so I wouod therefore rely on SD card backup a lot.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

DannyBoi

@skywake If I was using Satoru Iwata like that, would I have 1. called him a wonderful man and 2. said that he may have considered adding SD card backup and downright said no?

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

LuckyLand

@skywake I also explained, amongst other things, that for me saves backups weren't really a need in older games. In my opinion saves backups are STRICTLY needed in games that gives you a lot of customization options. Twilight princess (I talk about TP because it is the only Zelda game I like) can be long, but I can always redo everything I did before, it is quite an annoyance if I lost my save and have to start it again but it is not really a big problem I like it so I wouldn't mind playing it again from the start. I prefer if it is just my choice, not being forced because I lost a save, but it isn't really a big problem.
With modern games where I have many customization options, I can create my character and sometimes create even other things in the game, it becomes really a stressful chore to redo (creating it myself) everything I care about if I lost my save. It is not like I just need to replay a game I like, I have to put a lot of effort to recreate things that I need to enjoy the game.

Games change as time passes, your point does not make much sense. On the Nes you can perfectly play Super Mario Bros 3 with a D-pad and two buttons, so why do you want a modern controller to play Breath of the wild or Doom? It's basically the same thing!

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

skywake

DannyBoi wrote:

.Before the Wii, most consoles used memeory cards, so there was no issue with save backup, so no, I did not complain

Not necessarily talking about consoles before the Wii. I'm talking more about physical purchases on the 3DS and the DS in general. Were you ok with those systems lacking these features. And if not why not. Why is it suddenly an issue now. Please come up with a better response than "those systems were disgusting"

DannyBoi wrote:

On the Wii I used it a lot

How frequently is a lot? The point I'm getting at here is that cloud saves are automatic every time you connect to the internet. If on your 3DS you only ever brought games digitally and once a week you took out your SD card and copied it over to a portable HDD? Then I'm impressed and I can also see why you are suddenly nervous. If not and if you are happy to pay for the subscription? .... you're better off with this new arrangement than you were before and I don't understand, logically, why you're creating petitions for this

DannyBoi wrote:

Yes, but I do a lot of travelling, so a lot of the time I do not have access to the cloud, so I would therefore rely on SD card backup a lot.

Might I point out that copying your data to the SD card installed in your system doesn't protect you from a lot of things. If protects you from some kinds of hardware failure sure but it doesn't protect you from loss or theft. It also doesn't protect your data from things like fire and flood. So unless you were going to copy it to the SD card and then remove the SD card putting it somewhere safe you'd still be vulnerable.

Additionally most kinds of hardware failure wouldn't impact cloud saves. If your WiFi dies then, worst case, you can get a LAN adaptor and connect to the internet that way. It doesn't need to be instant either as long as you can get internet before you send it in for repair/replacement. As long as the system is turning on and able to connect to the internet in some way you'll be able to backup your saves.

Lastly it's not like cloud saves are all or nothing. If you are travelling and don't have access to the internet for a week or so? If your Switch is stolen or something you will only lose progress made in that week. If you're relying on your own backup schedule you're probably not going to be able to recover as much. And in any case it's not like it's impossible to get access to the internet. Much harder to find a microSD card on short notice while travelling if that dies than a cafe with WiFi.

@LuckyLand
Pokemon & Animal Crossing

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Top

Sorry, this topic has been locked.