Forums

Topic: Why the Nintendo Switch needs SD card save data backup

Posts 101 to 120 of 148

DannyBoi

I have arequest for you all and would be very grateful if you could do this for me. To raise awerness of the issue of having no SD card save backup on the Switch, could you please share this thread to as many sites as possible(Facebook, Twitter Nintendo websites)? I would greatly appreciate it, and it would raise awareness of the issue. I am sharing it to sites as well, all for awareness of the issue.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

LuckyLand

@skywake "People manipulate saves and it's something that we know degrades the online experience. It also opens more options for piracy. By locking down save files Nintendo have more control about what you can and can not do with them. It may be better for me as an option to backup but it's not better for me if other users abuse that feature. So local saves are a no go."

So basically you say that I should pay a subscription that I never wanted if I want a backup of my save data so that people who likes to play online have a better experience. Save backups should be free, but I have to pay for something that I don't like (I hate it honestly) so that other people will be able to enjoy it in a better way.
I also have to buy copies of games I don't want to give them to other people who like them for free?
Not to mention that hackers have already ruined the online experience in various Switch games, so they are preventing me to have something that should be granted to prevent something that already happened.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

LuckyLand

@DannyBoi I already posted many comments about what I think of this problem as well as other problems in the facebook page of Nintendo of my country. Other people were very bothered as well, but there are also many people who defend Nintendo choices. I would say it is roughly 50-50 or something like that.

skywake

LuckyLand wrote:

So basically you say that I should pay a subscription that I never wanted if I want a backup of my save data so that people who likes to play online have a better experience.

Yes

LuckyLand wrote:

Not to mention that hackers have already ruined the online experience in various Switch games, so they are preventing me to have something that should be granted to prevent something that already happened.

Let's protest about those security tags designed to stop shoplifting because people are still able to shoplift

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DannyBoi

If someone used an SD card to hack the Switch, would they not be hanned from online, getting rid of the risk of save files being used to help leople cheat online?

skywake

DannyBoi wrote:

If someone used an SD card to hack the Switch, would they not be hanned from online, getting rid of the risk of save files being used to help leople cheat online?

Banning the account means nothing when it costs nothing to create an account. Especially if you didn't pay for the content itself because you pirated the games. There are many tools they can use to control things but none of them are solutions by themselves. Nintendo have already started to block individual copies of games that have been circulating online. But really, it's not an all or nothing kind of thing.

The harder they make it and the more barriers they put in place the less time and money they have to expend stopping it. And the less prevalent it's going to be in general. Then as flow on effects, whether you care about online or not, if the system is seen to be secure? More developers will be happy to publish. It's in all of our interests for Nintendo to do everything in their power to keep their system secure.

It's like if someone starts breaking the terms of service of an online forum. Other users on the site can tell the person that the behaviour is not appropriate. There can be rules and terms of use that the site can direct users to. Then there are features like the ability to report a post or ignore particular users. Lastly the admins can ban a user from the site or block their IP and/or email. But just because one of these tools exist doesn't mean that the other tools are worthless, these are all tools that are used in combination.

Edited on by skywake

DannyBoi

And if they create a new account? All purchases on prev account are gone, plus if they do hack again, there goes their new account.

DannyBoi

And, plus not every games save data will be able to be backedup. Most likely, online games, such as Splatoon 2 or Smash Bros Ultimate.

skywake

DannyBoi wrote:

And if they create a new account? All purchases on prev account are gone, plus if they do hack again, there goes their new account.

You can create multiple accounts per console and you only have to link to one. If you buy cartridges you don't have to link at all! Also, again, one tool existing doesn't make the other tools useless. They need multiple tools to attack this problem from multiple angles. Remember, Microsoft is doing the same

DannyBoi wrote:

And, plus not every games save data will be able to be backedup. Most likely, online games, such as Splatoon 2 or Smash Bros Ultimate.

That's an assumption on your part. Also doing that on Wii, while s good idea, didn't stop the system being attacked via the games that allow it. Repeat after me,the more they allow people to manipulate their saves the less secure the console is.

Heavyarms55

I do agree that we should have that feature, I don't really see a major reason why we wouldn't have it. Seeing as it isn't really complex or new these days. But like others have point out, none of us used back ups before the PS3/Xbox 360 era and we made do. I would like the safety net, but know what it is like to live without it.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

DannyBoi

It would be easy for Nintendo to add SD card bacckup. All that us needed is a system update. And in regards to it being used to hack the sytem, isn't there something they could do to stop that?

ValhallaOutcast

The cheating is a lame reason because the switch is already easy to hack or cheat ( I read complaints above t cheaters all the time) not sure adding backups to SD or USB storage

I am more a believer it’s being part of cloud to sell more subscriptions

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

LuckyLand

@skywake "Yes"

Guess what? My answer is "No". TES is n ot a Nintendo exclusive, I'll play it elsewhere where I can backup my save data without paying anything, and I will hope that this online crap will fail miserably instead, so that Nintendo will be forced to be more respectful towards people like me who don't like to play online and don't want to pay for it. Right now I am extremely happy everytime I read that some hacker is ruining the online experience in some Switch game.
If you think that I'm willing to pay to improve the gaming experience that you like instead of what I like you got it completewly wrong

DannyBoi

@LuckyLand Extremely well said. I amsure a fair amount of peoole have got a PS4 or XboxOne because of this.

skywake

I'm just telling you guys the truth. It's not my problem if you can't handle it. The real world doesn't care about your opinions, the real world doesn't care you want it for free. It is not product designed specifically with you and your specific demands in mind. Especially when those demands are both not in your interest and degrade the experience of others.

LuckyLand

@skywake Sony cares. Steam/Windows cares. And as far as I know, even Xbox cares.

Tell me, selling Virtual console games would make the console more vulnerable too????

LOL

Nintendo does not care because they're arrogant and think that they can get away with anything, but for sure I'm not going to let them fool me with their online subscription that they are trying to force on everybody not just to those legitimately interested into it.

Everybody else care more about respecting my needs except Nintendo and that makes me sad because I prefer Nintendo games, but that does not mean I'm happy to let them fool me.

PS: I know what is in my interest better than you and better than Nintendo, and if I demand something is because it is in my interest
Spending money to improve something that other people like but I absolutely don't like is not in my interest at all. If it was for me online gaming would not exist at all.

Edited on by LuckyLand

LzWinky

I find it hard to argue against having the option, however $20 a year isn't breaking anyone's bank.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

skywake

LuckyLand wrote:

Sony cares. Steam/Windows cares. And as far as I know, even Xbox cares.

Sony started this generation throwing out candy to win over the crowd. Now they have dominance they don't care at all. On PC there is no way to control any of this anyway so they control online with harsher penalties and tighter drm. Xbox? They block manual save backups, I mentioned this before. You had a cheap counter point, remember?

LuckyLand wrote:

Next you will Tell me, selling Virtual console games would make the console more vulnerable

No I won't. I've been one of the most vocal for the VC continuing. Throwing out nonsense like this doesn't make your argument any stronger, it makes you look like a fool throwing mud at the wall and hoping some sticks

Edited on by skywake

LuckyLand

@skywake "They block manual save backups, I mentioned this before."
Yes but they give cloud space for free because of that. But yeah, I'm sure they throw out candy because XBox one is not succesful enough and they are trying everything to attract customers.
Everybody in some way or another needs to throw out candy except Nintendo, have you noticed? Well, I like candy, I don't care WHY they do so, as long as they keep throwing I'm fine with them more than with Nintendo, and as you said on PC they don't even have a choice, and that's why I'm starting to think that it is in my interest to become a PC gamer mostly and just forget about consoles. I prefer Nintendo games (but the massive backwards compatibility on PC more or less balances that problem) and I prefer consoles, they are much more pleasant to use, but I'm getting tired of all their limitations and Switch really forced me to open my eyes about the worst side of the console gaming world.

DannyBoi

To be fair, Nintendo have gone mentally overboard with protecting their console. Having noSD card backup would protect toa degree against hacking. But they justify having not even an internet browser because of hacking, tell me how can an internet browser be used to hacka console? Plus, people wonder why Nintendo's share prices keepdropping. They are so secretive, I mean they guard gameinformation like it is government documents. Thsy are games, not the government's best kept secrets.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.