Forums

Topic: Why NX Must Launch On Time In March 2017

Posts 21 to 32 of 32

DefHalan

@Peek-a-boo i don't really see people being outside as a factor. People can be outside or inside most of the year but they still buy games. I also count September as Summer, so we can agree that would be a good time. I even think late august would be a good time to release. It gives time to establish their launch titles and have holiday titles ready for the system fairly quickly. Releasing in fall (October/Novemeber) will be a long wait for the system and releasing in March, like their current plan will be too early in the year, the big titles will be too far out from its launch. Summer, to me, is the best time.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Peek-a-boo

@DefHalan Try and name me ONE console that was released in the height of summer. There hasn't been, and for a very good reason.

Nobody really prioritises anything gaming related when the sun comes out. I can happily acknowledge that it may well be the best time for you, but you are in a tiny minority.

Peek-a-boo

skywake

@Peek-a-boo
Well for a start the 3DS launched in late March. Also the DSLite was the start of some huge momentum for the DS line and it launched in June. The Gamecube was released in May throughout the PAL regions and the original XBox did the same but in March. So the idea that it's unprecedented is nonsense.

The second point I'd make is that a console that launches early in the year doesn't mean it's not available later in the year. The only reason a November launch is seen as ideal is that it's the latest possible time to get in before the holidays. Launching in early 2017 means the NX is missing out on the 2016 holiday period. The fact that it exists before November 2017? That's not an issue. If anything it's an advantage because launch sales and holiday sales won't cannibalise each other.

Lastly your point about "the height of summer" being bad for games? It's a very Northern Hemisphere centric position to take. If you lived in the Southern Hemisphere you'd realise that the weather has little to do with console sales. It's all about Christmas aka people buying these things as a gift for somebody else.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Peek-a-boo

Today, I found out that summer apparently begins in March!

European countries are traditionally the last bunch to receive consoles after America and/or Japan gets their first wave before the Christmas season.

My point about summer being bad for games, go ahead and take a look at just how poorly the videogames market does in the NPD during June, July and August.

You'll find out why hardly any new games are released during those 'dry' months too, which is also why there has been nary a new console during any of those months.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

DefHalan

NES was released in Japan in July
SNES was released in US in August
N64 was released in Japan in June and in US in September
GameCube was released in Japan in September

Sega Master System was released in US in September
Sega Genesis was released in US in August
Dreamcast was released in US in September

Atari 2600 was released in September
Atari 7800 was released in May

Yep, not a single console was released in Summer... not to mention some successful revisions for consoles also launched in Summer. Xbox 360 Slim, Xbox 360 Elite, PS3 Slim, PS3 Super Slim

Edited on by DefHalan

Peek-a-boo

Looks like I was proven wrong!

Not very many new 'new' consoles on the list above, but I suppose they did launch in summer.

I did have an inkling that the first slim PlayStation 3 was available in spring time.

In any case, I personally don't think launching a new console in the summer is the best time to do so.

Peek-a-boo

DefHalan

Peek-a-boo wrote:

In any case, I personally don't think launching a new console in the summer is the best time to do so.

And you can think that, just like I can think Summer 2017 is better than March 2017

GrailUK

Who are we to say March is a bad release. Ok, I am making this up to illustrate a point but,

Most consoles are blu ray player that plugs in to the TV that play games. Imagine if Nintendo go sideways with their home console and it is actually a tablet that plugs in to the telly that plays games (that you can connect gamepads to). Now, suddenly they create a new market that wasn't there before. Sure, you are going on your summer holidays, little Jimmy isn't going to be bothered about a bluray game box but if it is a tablet, then it could be the number one thing kids want to take on holiday. There are loads of potential exploration in commercial scope for Nintendo's innovation. March, for all we know might be a stroke of genius (whether planned or not).

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

DefHalan

@GrailUK It could be, I just think Summer release would be better. Maybe have a E3 before launch that showcases everything.

IceClimbers

March 2017 is the best time to launch now. Get those Spring multiplats as the main launch 3rd party games. Have a few Nintendo titles for the Summer months to bridge the gap ( perfect time for those Wii U ports). Then the big Fall and Holiday games to close out the year. Launching in March also means there's a big enough gap to allow it to take advantage of Black Friday deals.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

WebHead

Ok I'm back...after time away and nx off my mind my brain has cooled.

So after thinking it over I'm interested again. Looking forward to seeing this new way to play.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.