Forums

Topic: Why NX Must Launch On Time In March 2017

Posts 1 to 20 of 32

WebHead

Some of us have pondered the possibility of NX getting delayed to November 2017. I do not think this will happen nor honestly can happen. And here is why:

1. The software(at least first party) should surely be ready. I mean otherwise what are EPD doing?

2. Consumer interest will wane if they take too long.

3. Fan, retailer, investor, and shareholders expectations will rise to unhealthy levels

4. It's clear as day most of their development muscle is on nx. If it gets delayed to say November 2017 how are they supposed to make money until then

5. They have to come out someday. The 3ds isn't going to last forever

6. If it happens I sincerely doubt Mr. Kimishima is going to be re-elected as president/CEO come June 2017. I do not think investors and shareholders will tolerate further delay. If NX don't deliver. Adios Kimishima.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

FragRed

@WebHead My concern with a March 2017 release for the NX is that it is traditionally a quiet time of year for gaming. Sales, even for new games, are considerably lower than during the holiday season and something like a new £300 plus console so soon after the big spend that is Christmas (especially from a gamer point of view) will likely just be ignored. And Nintendo needs this system to be like the PS4, in that it just sells itself from day one even if not PS4 numbers.

Also I fear that if it releases in March, when do Nintendo make that reveal? Because I don't believe make such big announcements in September or October will be any easier than during E3 with so much noise going around regarding the PS4 Neo likely to release and the PS VR as well as what ever else is coming to the gaming world. Sony and the PlayStation are too strong right now for Nintendo to try and announce NX around any big new hardware releases.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

DefHalan

I don't see why the NX can't be delayed to a summer release. Especially if the reveal is well received and if financially Nintendo is doing fine. Summer release sounds better to me

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

GrailUK

@DefHalan Agreed. We don't know what the thing is. If someone was releasing a hoverboard, I wouldn't care about not hitting the March release. They show me some footage of someone flying around with Huey Lewis and the News playing in the background and I will be sold again. It's a new thing! If it is a brand new toaster that toasts bread in like 30 seconds, well I already have a toaster and any delay on this super toaster would be an annoyance.

So basically, if the NX is just a bogstandard graphics in a box with a controller, people have been releasing consoles for decades and any hiccup with releasing something common place could be construed as incompetence. But I am holding out for the NX to be a 'hoverboard' like the Wii was.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

WebHead

@DefHalan then they're more incompetent than I already take them for.

WebHead

DefHalan

@WebHead How does delaying the NX to a better date make them incompetent?

IceClimbers

@DefHalan I'll flip this question: how is summer a better release date?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

DefHalan

@IceClimbers Closer to the holiday, which means they can still be the "new" hardware going into the holiday season, and it would be released in time for the big holiday software releases. Summer would let Nintendo target people that get bored of their current systems during their "summer break" or during the normal summer game droughts. (although that might not be the case for summer anymore, it use to be a thing and I don't know if it still is) Summer, being a normally slow time for games give Nintendo a lot of spot light during that time.

Releasing in March means the holiday season is outside of your "launch window" normally the first 6 months after hardware release. A march release will also mean Nintendo will have to support the new Hardware with their own titles until 3rd Party titles are ready (normally holiday) which could give the illusion of a Nintendo only box. A March launch seems more difficult to pull off from a sales, hype, and software release point of view. It is still possible but I feel a Summer release would do a lot better for them, if they don't want to push the system all the way back to a Fall or Winter release.

GrailUK

At least no one will be forking out £1000 for an NX on eBay because they cannot find a console at retail.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Octane

Summer seems worse than March. A holiday release tends to work best, but since they're not going for that, they should stick to March. That means they have to support the system on their own for a while. Unless they have been working with third party devs on some exclusive titles, but I doubt it. Still, at this point they must have a ton of games ready to launch. If not, then I'm seriously wondering what they've been doing all this time.

The problem with Summer is that most people tend to be outside and not play a whole lot of video games. Releasing in March gives you the advantage of convincing the early adopters and to build up a bit of a library to convince the other crowds they're targeting for the holiday season. It's far from a perfect situation, but they have to work with what they have, despite the fact that it's not a whole lot.

Octane

DefHalan

@Octane Just with a March release it appears that 3rd Parties aren't going to support it. March means you missed most of 3rd Party's big games but Summer means those big games are still yet to come.

IceClimbers

@Octane I agree.

When NX launches, most of the 3rd party games will inevitably be late ports of Fall/Holiday 2016 games. With a March date you can at least launch in time for the Spring multiplats and have the few Summer multiplats as well.

If you release in Summer, then you've made all of the Spring multiplats late ports, made the transition from the Wii U drought even longer, and are releasing away from the fairly solid stream of 3DS games. I expect there to be some localisations for February/March, specifically for games like Etrian Odyssey V, Monster Hunter Stories, the third version of Yokai Watch 2, and a delayed Dragon Quest VIII.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

@DefHalan March also means that those games are yet to come. At least you're not really missing out on the Spring titles if you release in March. Summer has never been big for video games; most come in Spring (from Feb till May/June) and in Autumn (from September till the holidays).

Octane

DefHalan

March is still missing a lot of early 2017 titles. Summer 2017 means Nintendo doesn't have to be the only ones supporting the NX for half a year. The big titles for the year are closer to the system release than if it releases in March.

WebHead

@DefHalan that makes no sense.

Anyway I will be take a permanent leave of this forum now. Nothing personal, just really really do not like this company anymore. All I get from it is anger nowadays. So doesn't mean make sense for me to be part of a Nintendo forum anymore. Farewell guys.

WebHead

DefHalan

@WebHead Not sure what part you think doesn't make sense but since you are leaving the forums, I guess I won't get an answer.

Justlink

@DefHalan For me, it really depends on the reason for the delay. I don't think having two-three months there is going to heavily affect sales unless the games they are making need more time than already stated. Right now though, I just want more details on the NX.

Do you like videogames? If so, you must know
It's dangerous to go Alone.

DefHalan

@justlink I think the media is doing a good job on keeping people hungry for NX news while Nintendo would rather them not lol.

Peek-a-boo

Summer is a TERRIBLE time to release the NX.

Why?

Because everybody goes outside and enjoys the sunshine. Kids are off school. Parents like to go away on holiday(s) with their children. People prioritise outdoor activities, rather than indoor ones. Sales of both games and consoles are traditionally very low in the summer months too.

If the NX is a handheld of sorts however, it may well do a bit better than usual.

March/April or September/October would be the best months to launch the NX.

Peek-a-boo

SuperPaperLuigi

Personally I wouldn't mind waiting longer for something better, done well. There's a feature on the site saying it might be delayed to add a VR component and personally that's something for which I wouldn't mind the wait.

Having said that, I do "retro-game", and there are still PS2 games on my bookcase that I'm looking forward to playing. I don't mind the wait.

Edited on by SuperPaperLuigi

"I try to put good out into the world, that way I can believe it's out there". --CKN

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.