Forums

Topic: Why Nintendo Should Launch in 2016

Posts 41 to 60 of 62

iKhan

DefHalan wrote:

We should make a Nintendo NX "Jump to Conclusions Mat" because so many people are jumping to conclusions without researching anything

Untitled

Some ideas:
-NX is a home console to replace the Wii U
-NX is a console-handheld hybrid
-The Wii U is finished in 2016
-Zelda is launching with the NX
-NX will be a powerhouse with a pro-controller that every Microsoft fan has ever wanted.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

jariw wrote:

KryptoKrunch wrote:

I'm still trying to find where Nintendo or any of it's employees said the "NX" will be a console or a replacement for the Wii U.

Iwata has already stated that the NX will not be a replacement for either the Wii U or the 3DS. It's a new modular thing that will adapt to different kind of markets around the world. Iwata specifically mentioned the Japanese market compared to the western markets. (And since the Japanese market has abandoned home consoles as a concept and pretty much gone all-mobile, the NX is something else.)

I think sometimes you guys read into stuff way too much. From what I understood of it the "it's not a simple replacement" comment was the same thing they've always said. The 3DS isn't just a DS with better specs. The Wii wasn't just a more powerful Gamecube. The Wii U wasn't simply a Wii with better specs. So when they say that they're not going to simply replace the Wii U or 3DS think of it in that context. That's the way I took it anyways.

Really all we do know is that the NX is a piece of hardware that games will be developed for. That's the entire extent of our knowledge. If anyone says they "know" anymore than that they're just speculating. Which is fun but it's best to be aware that that's all it is.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

BlueSkies

Octane wrote:

BlueSkies wrote:

Octane The WiiU is seen by Nintendo as an extention of the Wii brand-- that is why the NX is defined as something new. It's something new the way the N64 was something new and the Wii was something new 10 years later.

@BlueSkies How do you know that (assuming the NX will be a home console for the sake of it), it won't be called the Wii 3 or something like that? It's not defined as something new, because it's not defined as anything at all. All we know is that Nintendo is working on a new console and that the project name is NX. We have no idea if it'll be a handheld or a home console, we don't know what it'll be called, and we have absolutely no clue on what specs the device is going to have.

Iwata's comment that it won't be a simple replacement to the WiiU is directly in line with many past comments they have made in relation to the Wii being equivalent to the N64 while the WiiU was always intended to be iterative like SNES and GameCube. Before WiiU launched they even said that the next console after WiiU would again mark a return to revolutionary design for the company. Coming out and saying it won't be an expansion of the Wii/WiiU platform, Iwata is stating firmly it won't be called Wiisomething. It's like with the DS design. 3DS is a continuation of the DS design, as is the N3DS. If Nintendo offers a new portable in 2016 or 2017, in addition to a new console, then it would make sense for it to depart from the DS design and drop the DS branding. That doesn't make said design, "not a portable" just because it departs from the DS design and is something new-- it just means it's something new (and the 3DS was never something new-- it was the exact same design copied and pasted to the next model).

skywake wrote:

BlueSkies wrote:

Everyone in the industry outside of WiiU owners is speculating on the potential of the NX console while some WiiU owners are in a state of denial that Nintendo is moving on to greener pastures and that the color is actually green. Every console is followed by new hardware at some point.

Nobody is in denial that these companies plan to replace every console at some point. The Wii U will be replaced, the 3DS will be replaced, the Vita may be replaced, the PS4, the XBOne. It's doing nothing for your argument to say that we are in "denial" of this obvious fact. We're just stating the obvious fact that nobody knows what the NX is. It may not be a home console and given that it likely won't be at E3 this year the window for a 2016 release is small.

As for what the "industry" is speculating. Well the keyword there is speculating and lets be honest here, the gaming media is what we'll all see. The NX being some sort of crazy hybrid or something to replace the Wii U makes a better story. Partly because the Wii U is a more interesting topic to write about in general but because home console releases are bigger news. But you can pretty much guarantee that outside of a few of their major partners nobody else knows what this actually is. Giving a dev-kit to everyone and their dog pretty much guarantees a leak and there hasn't been a leak. This is why all of the big three announce what their hardware actually is a good while before it's released.

So here's a task for you. Without talking about the Wii U at all why is the NX not a 3DS successor? Do you have any reason that it isn't a portable system other than maybe some misguided belief that the New 3DS is the 3DS' successor? Or are you so stuck in the conclusions you've already jumped to that you can't imagine any scenario other than your own?

To ignore the WiiU is to ignore an 800lb gorilla smoking a cigarette and sitting on a crapper. It's a major factor in why they need a new console more than they need a new handheld. The industry is asking for a new Nintendo console-- a console that is X86 and presents Nintendo games with the best available graphics. The industry wants Zelda, Mario, and Metroid-- but it wants them to not be bottlenecked by Nintendo's current hardware.

The 3DS doesn't need to be replaced-- it is actually serving as a modest platform for them to sell games on now (50 million users I believe it was). It's never going to be a 100 million seller, but for the next couple of years it will permit Nintendo to move software. That is where the money comes from and that is why the WiiU is money down the drain for software. Nintendo is continuing to develop their planned WiiU titles but they are essentially just investing in consumer confidence and not in making serious cash from software sells on the platform (Wii had 900 million+ purchases).

There is far less demand for a new Nintendo portable when half the planet has a phone that they would prefer featured Mario Kart (over buying a handheld).

Speculation about Fusion is coming from people who know nothing about hardware or the market (whether a bundle of a new portable and a new console or simply a Nintendo tablet (and the latter surely isn't revolutionary in any form)). Fusion would serve neither console consumers or portable consumers well. It would be expensive and yet it would be under powered compared to home consoles, and it would be too large to be a true portable. It would be a mess. Fusion gives you either a Fisher Price tablet or a package with a $200 portable and a $200 console (just laughable).

Edited on by BlueSkies

BlueSkies

skywake

@BlueSkies
To quote a certain Wikipedia article

On November 13, 2003, Nintendo announced that they would be releasing a new game product in 2004. The company did not provide many details, but stated it would not succeed the Game Boy Advance or GameCube. On January 20, 2004, the console was announced under the codename "Nintendo DS". Nintendo released only a few details at that time, saying that the console would have two separate, 3-inch TFT LCD display panels, separate processors, and up to 1 gigabit (128 Megabytes) of semiconductor memory.

And at that point, in November 2003:

• The GC was 2 years old and wasn't selling well
  • The GBA was almost 3 years old l and was selling well

Compare that to the NX. The codename was released a couple of months ago with no details. They've said that it's not going to be a direct successor to the 3DS or the Wii U. They've just announced that it's hardware and that they'll have more to say in 2016. Sound familiar? The key difference being that at this point with the NX:

• The Wii U is 2 years old and isn't doing too well
  • The 3DS is 4 years old and is doing fairly well

There are only a couple of differences between the NX and DS was at this point. Firstly in 2003 the turnaround from the announcement to release was very quick, if they were doing it as quick as they were then now we'd already know the NX's basic specs. The other and probably more important one would be that in 2003 the GBA was a far newer platform than the 3DS is now. Which if anything is something that should make you think it's more likely to be a 3DS successor.

As for other things that make me think it's the thing that will replace the 3DS? Well the key one is that the software for the 3DS is slowing down just as it did with the GBA. And you can say the same is true of the Wii U if you want but it simply isn't. How many major 3DS releases are set for 2015? There have been more for the Wii U in the last couple of months than there will be for the 3DS for the whole year.

................... and I have no idea why you're going on about the Fusion idea. It's a stupid idea, I don't think it'd work either. Please don't pretend that that's what I'm saying here. When I ask why this thing couldn't possibly be replacing the 3DS I'm talking about the NX being a portable console.

Edited on by skywake

GrailUK

The Wii U has started making a profit. Splatoon has sold out in Japan. Why is the OP so full of doom. Nintendo are not going anywhere. Just have fun with the Wii U (if you have one!) and be patient for their next console like the rest of us

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

skywake

JusticeColde wrote:

What if the NX is a new network? Probably nobody has ever thought about that.

Well we can rule that out because the only thing we do know about it is that it's a "dedicated game system". Everything Nintendo has said thus far is the same sort of stuff they say before the release of any system. Whether that system is a portable or not.

BlueSkies

skywake wrote:

@BlueSkies
To quote a certain Wikipedia article

On November 13, 2003, Nintendo announced that they would be releasing a new game product in 2004. The company did not provide many details, but stated it would not succeed the Game Boy Advance or GameCube. On January 20, 2004, the console was announced under the codename "Nintendo DS". Nintendo released only a few details at that time, saying that the console would have two separate, 3-inch TFT LCD display panels, separate processors, and up to 1 gigabit (128 Megabytes) of semiconductor memory.

And at that point, in November 2003:

• The GC was 2 years old and wasn't selling well
  • The GBA was almost 3 years old l and was selling well

Compare that to the NX. The codename was released a couple of months ago with no details. They've said that it's not going to be a direct successor to the 3DS or the Wii U. They've just announced that it's hardware and that they'll have more to say in 2016. Sound familiar? The key difference being that at this point with the NX:

• The Wii U is 2 years old and isn't doing too well
  • The 3DS is 4 years old and is doing fairly well

There are only a couple of differences between the NX and DS was at this point. Firstly in 2003 the turnaround from the announcement to release was very quick, if they were doing it as quick as they were then now we'd already know the NX's basic specs. The other and probably more important one would be that in 2003 the GBA was a far newer platform than the 3DS is now. Which if anything is something that should make you think it's more likely to be a 3DS successor.

As for other things that make me think it's the thing that will replace the 3DS? Well the key one is that the software for the 3DS is slowing down just as it did with the GBA. And you can say the same is true of the Wii U if you want but it simply isn't. How many major 3DS releases are set for 2015? There have been more for the Wii U in the last couple of months than there will be for the 3DS for the whole year.

................... and I have no idea why you're going on about the Fusion idea. It's a stupid idea, I don't think it'd work either. Please don't pretend that that's what I'm saying here. When I ask why this thing couldn't possibly be replacing the 3DS I'm talking about the NX being a portable console.

GameCube didn't cause three years and hundreds of millions of dollars in losses. GameCube made profits every year on the market. GameCube had 15 million units sold at this point and had seen the releases of Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Sunshine, Star Fox Adventures, Rogue Squadron, and Eternal Darkness. WiiU makes GameCube look like the good old days.

There is no rule that because a company hasn't released specs that it means their system is not coming out the next year. They didn't release specs on Wii-- we didn't know what the games looked like until E3 2006. The same goes for X1 and PS4.

The 3DS is the only thing keeping Nintendo above water at the moment. If they replace it, they're back to square one with 10 million WiiU owners and a new portable that is struggling against smart phones.

The software is a dead creep for the WiiU. Nintendo has delayed a Zelda game for a whole year. Nobody but Nintendo is putting games of note on the console (and Nintendo is only fulfilling their commitments that have already been in development for three years+ (we've seen Yoshi for as long as this system has been out)).

The 3DS is giving way to the New 3DS (aka, 3DS 3). It may be a horrible launch of a product and horrible branding, but it is what it is and it will see software announcements at E3.

skywake wrote:

JusticeColde wrote:

What if the NX is a new network? Probably nobody has ever thought about that.

Well we can rule that out because the only thing we do know about it is that it's a "dedicated game system". Everything Nintendo has said thus far is the same sort of stuff they say before the release of any system. Whether that system is a portable or not.

Iwata has said (recently) that it is intended to be a revolutionary platform. Specifically, he said it will change gamers' lives. No portable can do that.

Edited on by BlueSkies

BlueSkies

IceClimbers

@BlueSkies There is nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, suggesting the NX is a home console or a handheld. We know nothing about it. Your comments are purely speculation at best.

Also, no, the Wii U was not the cause of all 3 years of losses. The 1st year of losses was due to the 3DS. The 2nd year was due to the Wii U. The 3rd year was due to operating costs (buying their own stock, buying new buildings for their development studios, etc) as well as something to do with the value of the yen.

As for the 3DS, it can easily be replaced because it's lifespan is coming to its natural end. They can't drag the 3DS on for that much longer. It's not in a healthy position - sales are declining steadily, and game support is slowing down, especially from Nintendo. Never before has a Nintendo system relied on 3rd parties more than 1st party. The 3DS is doing that right now.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

BlueSkies

"While we're busy working on software for the Wii U, we have production lines that are working on ideas for what the next system might be." - Shigeru Miyamoto (December 2014)

“I think that maybe when we release the next hardware system, you can look forward to seeing Mario take on a new role or in a new game.” - Shigeru Miyamoto (December 2014)

"If we create a new type of controller interface, and we find a controller interface that's particularly suited for F-Zero, then maybe we'll do something with it in the future." - Shigeru Miyamoto (January 2015)

"We want to surprise players as well as our desire to change each person's video gaming life." - Satoru Iwata (January 2015)

Now the quotes in the past seven months specifically about a new portable:
Untitled

Edited on by BlueSkies

BlueSkies

IceClimbers

BlueSkies wrote:

"While we're busy working on software for the Wii U, we have production lines that are working on ideas for what the next system might be." - Shigeru Miyamoto (December 2014)

“I think that maybe when we release the next hardware system, you can look forward to seeing Mario take on a new role or in a new game.” - Shigeru Miyamoto (December 2014)

"If we create a new type of controller interface, and we find a controller interface that's particularly suited for F-Zero, then maybe we'll do something with it in the future." - Shigeru Miyamoto (January 2015)

"We want to surprise players as well as our desire to change each person's video gaming life." - Satoru Iwata (January 2015)

Untitled

There's nothing to suggest that the console talked about in those quotes is the NX. It very well could be, but at the same time it's just as likely that the console in question is another system entirely that will come after the NX is released (the NX being a handheld in this scenario of course).

Also, Miyamoto's comments about F-Zero don't necessarily apply to the next home console, or the one after that either. The console that would fit Miyamoto's description could be several generations out, or may never come at all.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

CaviarMeths

BlueSkies wrote:

Iwata has said (recently) that it is intended to be a revolutionary platform. Specifically, he said it will change gamers' lives. No portable can do that.

Speak for yourself.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

shaneoh

CaviarMeths wrote:

BlueSkies wrote:

Speak for yourself.

Obviously the gameboy doesn't fit into his magical world.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

NintendoFan64

BlueSkies wrote:

Untitled

...You do realize that they never specifically stated that it was a home console, right? (Cue several more posts on how we're apparently wrong in his eyes.)

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

JLPick

In all honesty, no one really knows about the NX or what it is to say the least...only nintendo knows and they are not going to leak the information yet. The 3DS is older than the Wii U, so that would be the first one to get replace (plus, the 3Ds basically has all of their games out for it, so who knows what else they can put on it besides maybe a Pikmin 3D title). From a standing point, yeah, they could replace the Wii U, just to try and make sales that match their competitors and make their investors more happy, but what some people are stating on here 'nintendo is to make their consumers happy', it COULD be wrong...we all know that merchandise stores and other companies don't really care about their employees or customers, only the money that's being brought in...when it all comes down to business...it ends with greed, so they could replace the Wii U and cut their losses, but I don't see them doing that. Also, if they release information on the NX next year, that still gives the Wii U it's five year life span, and hopefully nintendo will be working on some great launch games for the NX, rather then showing them off, but making their fans wait years for those to come out...Eternal Darkness anyone...that game was to be a launch title for Gamecube, and came out almost 2 years later.

JLPick

skywake

BlueSkies wrote:

GameCube didn't cause three years and hundreds of millions of dollars in losses. GameCube made profits every year on the market. GameCube had 15 million units sold at this point and had seen the releases of Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Sunshine, Star Fox Adventures, Rogue Squadron, and Eternal Darkness. WiiU makes GameCube look like the good old days.

The difference between 10 and 15mill is trivially small. I mean really, these guys hope to move 30mill+ and dream of approaching 100mill. 5mill either way is nothing. And I don't know why you're pointing out game releases because there isn't that much of a difference there either. Speaking of differences, the GBA was retired at this point when you compare it to the 3DS. The GBA sold 80mill lifetime, the 3DS is on 50mill.

BlueSkies wrote:

There is no rule that because a company hasn't released specs that it means their system is not coming out the next year. They didn't release specs on Wii-- we didn't know what the games looked like until E3 2006. The same goes for X1 and PS4.

Where did I say there was a rule? All I said was that they weren't moving as quickly with the NX reveal-age as they have done with past platforms. If they were moving as fast as they were with the original DS for example we'd already know that it had two screens. If we were at the stage that you think we are and it was the Wii we'd know it was a console the size of a couple of DVD cases and was backwards compatible with the Gamecube. The NX? We know nothing. Which I'm taking to mean that we're earlier down the road to release than you may think we are.

Plus the difference between us isn't that you think it's a home console and I think it's a portable. No, the difference is you think you know for certain that it is a home console and I'm guessing it's probably a portable. Because the truth is we don't know what it is. The only reason I'm guessing it's a portable is because the 3DS is old and the releases are drying up. Speaking of...

BlueSkies wrote:

The 3DS is the only thing keeping Nintendo above water at the moment. If they replace it, they're back to square one with 10 million WiiU owners and a new portable that is struggling against smart phones. The software is a dead creep for the WiiU. Nintendo has delayed a Zelda game for a whole year. Nobody but Nintendo is putting games of note on the console

The 3DS, like it or not, is an old system. There's nothing much more they could do on it to get people excited. And when you say that the Wii U is on the slowdown while the 3DS isn't, are you blind or something?
Games on the horizon or recently released on 3DS:

• Majora's Mask 3D
  • Xenoblade (New 3DS only)
  • Code Name STEAM
  • Fire Emblem If
  • Braverly Second

Games on the horizon or recently released on Wii U:

• Captain Toad
  • Splatoon
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush
  • Mario Party 10
  • Yoshi's Woolly World
  • Starfox
  • Xenoblade X
  • Mario Maker
  • Zelda U
  • Fatal Frame: Oracle of the Sodden Raven
  • Devil's Third

As for your comment about the 3DS being more profitable for them? Well for sure, that has always been the case with their portable systems even in the Wii era. But I'd argue all the more reason not to let their handheld get stale. You think the 3DS can compete against mobile indefinitely? When it's possible now to cram 360-level graphics into something about the same price as the New 3DS? Someone will do it, Nintendo should close that window.

BlueSkies wrote:

The 3DS is giving way to the New 3DS (aka, 3DS 3). It may be a horrible launch of a product and horrible branding, but it is what it is and it will see software announcements at E3.

You keep telling yourself that, I don't see any evidence of it. However if during E3 we see nothing else for the Wii U other than what we already know and (counts) 5 or more decent 3DS titles? Or even less likely 5 New 3DS exclusives? Then I'll agree with you. I'll concede completely to your belief that the 3DS isn't slowing down. But unless something of that magnitude happens at E3? You're wrong in saying that the 3DS library is vibrant and the Wii U's isn't.

and now the quotes you are reading into

BlueSkies wrote:

If you think they're not always working on what their next system will be you're kidding yourself. They would have started work on the Wii U as soon as the Wii was out the door. Hell, the WiiMote was originally going to be an accessory for the Gamecube. So they were also working on that early on. Luigi's Mansion was originally a 3D game so we can only assume that the 3DS idea was kicking around the Nintendo HQ for decades. This quote tells us nothing other than the obvious. They're working on Wii U software and their hardware division don't go on long holidays between console releases.

BlueSkies wrote:

How is "the next hardware system" not a portable console?

BlueSkies wrote:

If, and, maybe, "in the future". Really?

BlueSkies wrote:

.......... did you even read these quotes?

Edited on by skywake

BlueSkies

@skywake

The quote from Miyamoto about the next Mario was in the context of speaking about home consoles. And Mario is always used to demonstrate new home consoles (with the exception of WiiU).

The 'if' in concern to F-zero was in the context of if they make another F-zero (and he was stressing how important a new interface would be for that to happen). It is the second time he has explicitly and voluntarily brought up a new home console in the past seven months.

The quote about changing gamers' lives is an allusion to Nintendo's past revolutionary consoles. Iwata is already drawing a line from N64 to Wii to NX (or more directly from N64 to NX).

I'm presenting quotes and facts but you're arguing that the NX should be a portable based on your emotions about WiiU. WiiU is factually the platform that is floundering and needs to be replaced. This is going to be its peak year (if last year wasn't), just as with GameCube, except GameCube peaked at the end of its third year with almost 19 million units sold. WiiU is going to peak in the neighborhood of 13 million units and then it's down hill from there.

Edited on by BlueSkies

BlueSkies

Octane

BlueSkies wrote:

The software is a dead creep for the WiiU. Nintendo has delayed a Zelda game for a whole year.

If you're so keen on facts, make sure to get them right yourself. Nintendo never said anything about a whole year delay. They only said that holiday 2015 won't be their focus anymore.

Octane

DefHalan

BlueSkies wrote:

@skywake

The quote from Miyamoto about the next Mario was in the context of speaking about home consoles. And Mario is always used to demonstrate new home consoles (with the exception of WiiU).

The 'if' in concern to F-zero was in the context of if they make another F-zero (and he was stressing how important a new interface would be for that to happen). It is the second time he has explicitly and voluntarily brought up a new home console in the past seven months.

The quote about changing gamers' lives is an allusion to Nintendo's past revolutionary consoles. Iwata is already drawing a line from N64 to Wii to NX (or more directly from N64 to NX).

I'm presenting quotes and facts but you're arguing that the NX should be a portable based on your emotions about WiiU. WiiU is factually the platform that is floundering and needs to be replaced. This is going to be its peak year (if last year wasn't), just as with GameCube, except GameCube peaked at the end of its third year with almost 19 million units sold. WiiU is going to peak in the neighborhood of 13 million units and then it's down hill from there.

Most of those (if not all) Quotes and "Facts" aren't talking about the NX. They are simply referring to the next-console. The NX could or could not be a home console. It could be a Handheld or a Smart Device, anything dedicated to gaming. So if you want to argue that Nintendo should launch a new Home Console in 2016 then argue that. Don't try to lump in the NX or else you will be hit by plenty arguing the NX could be something, because it very well could be. The discussion is losing direction and focus by trying to say the NX is a replacement of the Wii U.

I don't think the Wii U should be replaced in 2016 because the consumer base (not just Wii U owners) does not view Nintendo as a good investment. This would just carry over to the next Home Console and hurt sales from day 1. If Nintendo is able to prove the Wii U as a good investment and keep people interested by Holiday 2016 then announcing a new Home Console in 2017 E3 could help boost sales for the new system. As you have said, Sony is looking to release their headset and Microsoft has something up their sleeve (can't remember what you said it was) for 2016, it would be smarter for Nintendo to wait them out, and steal their thunder with a new system. It is a double edge-sword but I think Nintendo can do it.

Launching in 2016 means they have to compete with Sony and Microsoft again and Nintendo will be way more expensive, the extra years gives enough distance to maximize Nintendo's product. Also launching in 2016 means developers don't have much time with the system, which hurt the Wii U a lot. Making it the same architecture as the XB1 and PS4 might help that situation but having the Wii U the same architecture (and slightly more power) as the 360 and PS3 didn't help as much as Nintendo hoped. 2016 is to soon both from a consumer and developer perspective. Those two areas is where Nintendo failed the most with the Wii U. 2017 would be a much better year for a new Home Console.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

BlueSkies wrote:

Mario was also used to demonstrate the features of new portables. The 3DS's 3D effect was first used as something more than a gimmick in 3D Land which was built around the idea of "fixing" the difficulty of controlling a 3D character in a game. The features of the DS were first shown off by using Mario 64 DS. I have found the quote in it's context and nothing about it suggests that they are specifically talking about a Wii U replacement. He was just talking about Mario more broadly and how they like to use Mario to demonstrate the features of a new console.

BlueSkies wrote:

What makes you think only non-portable systems have new interfaces? They're constantly asked about F-Zero and they continue to be vague. Ever consider the possibility that they're being vague because they have no interest in making another F-Zero? I mean the game doesn't sell. Obviously they have to come up with some sort of reason why they're not making it. Saying that they're waiting for a "controller interface" that will make the game fresh again definitely fits that bill.

BlueSkies wrote:

Well I did a search for your quote and I couldn't find anything about the N64. But even assuming that it is there how does this exclude a portable? When I think about consoles that have, to the extent that they do, "changed my life" the DS is the first one that springs to mind. Maybe the Wii U second but purely because of the semi-portable nature of the GamePad.

BlueSkies wrote:

You're not looking at the facts to put together a theory, you have a theory and you're searching for things to support it. I'm not at all denying the fact that the Wii U hasn't sold well. I agree that it has a task ahead of it trying to match the GC's 21mill lifetime sales. If it holds at where it is indefinitely it'll only hit GC level install base in late 2017. I suspect 2015 for the Wii U will be better than 2014 but I don't think it will be enough to counter the inevitable decline starting in late 2016. And for sure, at some point they will replace the Wii U. Unless Nintendo go broke before then (unlikely) it will happen. That's just how it works.

But that doesn't mean they're cutting it's life short in 2016 or that the next Nintendo console is a replacement for the Wii U. Because they also have a portable line and their 3DS is already in decline both in terms of sales and the flow of software. And as you said their portable division is their cash cow, they need to do everything they can to protect it. I think it's telling that in the other thread talking about Android you're going on about how bad an idea it is given your belief that the NX is a home console. You don't even stop for a second to consider the possibility that you may be wrong even with mounting evidence.

Edited on by skywake

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.