Forums

Topic: Where does Nintendo go after Switch?

Posts 161 to 175 of 175

SwitchForce

kobashi100 wrote:

People asking for a 4k portable device. Seriously where do you think battery technology is right now.
A portable device outputting 4K visuals is gonna drain battery super quick and let's not forget about heat.
People are Living in a fantasy land

This only will happen when battery tech catches up and can provide the charge to go offline once that happens when can go talk 4k. Put this way a 720 60fps NS is pretty good right now considering the battery tech. But put this at 4K 720 60fps and consider the battery dead the NS battery has to reach more tech before that can happen.

skywake wrote:

Nothing to do with people asking for it or even battery tech for that matter. It's a simple observation that hardware continues to get more powerful and more power efficient. You would've said the same thing about something that could do HD visuals 7 years ago. In 7 years what is the conventional wisdom now will be just as wrong about future consoles

It's not so simple as one may think-this simplistic thinking is wrong on so many levels. Take for example the exploing/fire battery and Tesla cars only go up to 200 miles on a charge. Until batteries can go 400 miles on a charge don't expect 7 years a realistic number. Your comparing a constant power like house outlet compared to battery isn't a good comparison to make. Battery hasn't made technology leaps compared to HD nor 4K. The comparison your using HD vs Battery has no real comparison-if they put that much into Battery R&D then we can do comparison but at this stage that isn't a good comparison to make.

SwitchForce

skywake

@SwitchForce
Power efficiency improvements. Also, by 4K future Switch I did mean 4K docked in the same way the current model does 1080. Tech improvements are exponential, get you're head around that before you say I'm crazy

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JoetheLion

It depends on when a Switch successor arrives when speculating on how powerful it will be. The Switch successor, in my guess, will be a little more powerful than a PS4 (regular one, not PS4 Pro) and will come with a 1080p screen. That is my guess for it if it releases in say, five years from launch, so that would be 2022.

It could even be more comparable to PS4 Pro than regular PS4. It may offer up to 1440p in docked mode. At the most, if may be capable of checkerboard rendering of 4K, which isn't native 4K but is something found in a number of PS4 Pro games and looks really good.

Those are my guesses for a Switch successor launching in 4 or 5 years from now. However, Nintendo may do as Sony did with PS4 Pro and MS did with XBox One X and make a "Switch Plus". In which case a Switch successor would release later rather than sooner.

If Nintendo releases a Switch that is enhanced, ala PS4 Pro and XBox One X, I expect it to have a 1080p screen on it, and when docked, it will be very common to see games on it that are 1080p. That will be the norm for docked games, unlike how it is now with the Switch where many games are 900p or some other sub-1080p resolution. With an enhanced Switch, you should be able to see more 1080p games docked with things like more stable frame rates, better draw distances, better lighting, better effects and AA, etc., things such as those.

I think those are realistic expectations for an enhanced Switch.

For people hoping for a 4K Switch/Switch successor anytime soon, I say don't get your hopes up. First of all, Nintendo has stopped pursuing cutting edge technology.

Also, with a 4K Switch successor, you have to think about things like heating issues and battery life, as other have pointed out. A 4K Switch successor that launched sooner than later, which had advanced cooling solutions/tech and which has an acceptable/good battery life would surely cost a lot at launch. That is why Nintendo wouldn't go for those specs.

The Switch successor should be like the Switch: a console/handheld hybrid which is great for a handheld and adequately powerful for a console, which is profitable for Nintendo from day one, and something that has a launch price which is found to be reasonable by many.

Edited on by JoetheLion

JoetheLion

JoetheLion

@skywake It won't be for consoles. But a 4K console/handheld hybrid in five years would be impressive tech. Try to speculate a 4K console/handheld hybrid in five years time. Something the size of the Switch tablet now, with at the least the same battery life. How much might it cost for a portable 4K console by then? Would it be something Nintendo would release in four or five years? Would this be a piece of tech with a launch price that Nintendo would launch something at?

It may be possible. nvidia will keep making new Tegra processors. Maybe nvidia will make something really impressive with Tegra 3 or Tegra 4. It may be possible that the Switch successor is capable of native 4K, but my advice to Nintendo fans enthusiastic about a Switch successor would be to keep their expectations in check when it comes to specs. Nintendo is conservative about specs these days.

If you keep your expectations in check and Nintendo does offer a Switch successor that is capable of 4K, you'll be pleasantly surprised. But if it offers something less, at least you won't feel disappointed. Or at least not too disappointed.

That is the approach I'm taking.

I think it'd be great if the Switch successor was capable of 4K when docked, but I'll lower my expectations because it may not be the case that it does 4K.

But now that I think about it, you never know what they'll engineer with this device. What if Nintendo decides to research and develop tech where the dock (in this new device) boosts clock frequencies as well as make it so that processing (computing and graphical processing) is somehow enhanced, instead of it being like current Switch, which just boosts clock frequencies only. So maybe through something like that a 4K Switch successor could be possible.

All we can do is speculate. But us Nintendo fans have fun with that, right? : p

Edited on by JoetheLion

JoetheLion

skywake

@JoetheLion
Well some simple trends for you. On average specs improve by about 2X every 18 months. 5 years? ~8X. Basically puts it a bit under the XBone X. I don't think this is that outlandish, it's far less crazy than the jump from Vita to Switch which I would not have predicted

StuTwo

Scrummer wrote:

@StuTwo It was people pretending to be Nigerian princes, saying basically "If you give me your bank account information, I'll deposit millions into it." and then you would give them your bank account information, and they would take all your money.

That doesn’t sound very regal at all. If that’s the way they were behaving as the royal family of Nigeria it’s no wonder there was a coup against them. Sounds like they deserved it!

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Scrummer

@StuTwo They weren't actually royal family in Nigeria, they were just random people pretending to be Nigerian royalty to try and scam people.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

Ryzaerian

Achievements. Gimme achievements dammit. It’s cool if you personally don’t care. I respect that. Put them in for those of us that like them, which is a majority. Everybody wins.

Friend Code: SW-4697-0836-1490

Currently playing: Warframe, Diablo 3, Splatoon 2, Paladins, Zelda: BotW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Bastion.

“...and we will send you to whatever god you wish.”

Oat

@Ryzaerian I second this. I really do not understand the hatred towards achievements on this site

So zetta slow!
3DS Friend code : 0662-8265-1183
NNID: CaptainCharacter
Switch Friend code: SW-6964-7226-0016

Switch Friend Code: SW-6964-7226-0016 | 3DS Friend Code: 0662-8265-1183 | My Nintendo: Oat | Nintendo Network ID: CaptainCharacter

StuTwo

Scrummer wrote:

@StuTwo They weren't actually royal family in Nigeria, they were just random people pretending to be Nigerian royalty to try and scam people.

I don’t understand that at all. If they were just random people how did they get a bank account full of so much money and if they were just normal people why couldn’t they just withdraw their own money?

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Therad

StuTwo wrote:

Scrummer wrote:

I don’t understand that at all. If they were just random people how did they get a bank account full of so much money and if they were just normal people why couldn’t they just withdraw their own money?

They didn't have money, they just said they did. And to fullfil the transaction they needed your bank account. But instead of giving money to you they took the money in the account.

Therad

skywake

Oat wrote:

@Ryzaerian I second this. I really do not understand the hatred towards achievements on this site

The hatred is stupid. But I'm all for the vocal apathy

JoetheLion

I never cared about achievements but Nintendo should have this with the current Switch. A lot of gamers like it and it will help bring more gamers to the Switch. It isn't really a big selling point, but for some considering getting a Switch, it'd be another "plus" to add when considering purchasing one.

JoetheLion

Therad

Ryzaerian wrote:

Achievements. Gimme achievements dammit. It’s cool if you personally don’t care. I respect that. Put them in for those of us that like them, which is a majority. Everybody wins.

Any proof the majority wants achievements?

My guess is that @skywake is in the majority with apathy. Except the vocal part.

Therad

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.