Forums

Topic: Where does Nintendo go after Switch?

Posts 141 to 160 of 175

Bolt_Strike

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking it would be a good idea for the next Switch to have detachable screens. Basically imagine the screen portion of the Switch being like a DS on its side, except you can pull the two screens apart. This would serve three purposes that would take the Switch to the next level:

1. It brings back dual screen gaming. Any game that needed a second screen to work, whether it's a VC game on DS, 3DS, or Wii U or a new entry, would now be available.

2. It would allow the Switch to be more portable. One issue with the Switch's design is that it can't fit in your pocket very well. This design of the Switch would be clamshell like the DS and 3DS, so it could fit in your pocket better.

3. It opens up new forms of 2 player. With detachable screens each player using a Joycon can use their own screen, which can open up new forms of gameplay.

This is exactly the kind of quirky innovative hardware idea that Nintendo would love and it fixes a lot of problems with the Switch. If they can make this work, it would be a wonderful concept for the Switch's successor.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

darkfenrir

To be honest I want them to stick with Switch-type of thing, continue to improve on it like how they improved the Gameboy-line ish I guess?

It just feels the best, and with the technology improvements going on, in latter years we might able to get something like Switch 2 or Switch Pro that can definitely handle 1080p60fps/720p60fps handheld mode and upscaled when docked?

Well hopefully we can >:] Since laptop continues to get better graphics card, I hope that Switch can follow in it.

(I like the versatility of Switch, especially. When I do have a TV, I'll probably use Dock mode a lot xP)

darkfenrir

Blathers

Nintendo's gonna ride the Switch for as long as they possible can. I'm talking a whole decade. Where they go from there will depend what the latest gaming fad is in 2027

Edited on by Blathers

Stay safe, kids: Make sure to save frequently during multiplayer, and always use a stylus!

3DS Friend Code: 1848-2106-5430

skywake

SwitchForce wrote:

Therd, you do know your smartphone is already getting close to 4k and yet no peep from you buying it right? This is what I expect from someone afraid of something new and willing to make innovations where others failed-even gaming PC laptops can go on the move something xbox/ps4 can't do and some have 4k PC gaming laptops

4K isn't particularly innovative it's just more pixels. And for portable devices in particular it has little actual value beyond it being a marketing checkbox. If you knew anything about the topic you'd know that "4K Phones" like the Sony Xperia XZ Premium actually run at 1080p most of the time. Why? Because 4K on a 5" screen is stupid. Devices that size can't push that many pixels and even on the rare occasion they do you end up chewing through the battery something ridiculous. And you can't even see the benefit. 4K on a 55" + TV with a high powered GPU plugged into the wall? Sure. But not on a small portable device with a <10" screen.

With that said there are some technical improvements they could make as I said in the first post in this thread. I think anything beyond ~720p on the Switch display is a bit stupid but HDR and variable refresh? That would be pretty nice, especially if they used something like OLED or at least a bit of local dimming. I think full support for variable refresh in HDMI 2.0 is unlikely because NVidia doesn't want to push freesync which is a shame. But I see no reason why a revision of the Switch couldn't support HDR both on the Switch display and on your TV with variable refresh on the Switch itself between, for example, 30-75Hz.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Blathers

@skywake I don't get it

Stay safe, kids: Make sure to save frequently during multiplayer, and always use a stylus!

3DS Friend Code: 1848-2106-5430

skywake

@Blathers
There was a spam post, that was the profile. Nothing says legitimate forum contributor like an account made from Nigeria 10mins ago

Edited on by skywake

StuTwo

@Link-Hero they still have princes in Nigeria? I thought they were all recently deposed in a coup. They still have plenty of money in bank accounts though and sometimes they contact smart Westerners to help them get their money out of the country.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Sisilly_G

I've never heard of a Nigerian princess before.

I suppose they had to breed somehow.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

progx

ThanosReXXX wrote:

The people left that WILL be reading both our text walls will probably belong to our very own fan base or at the very least to the people that can stomach those two guys that most of the time just can't seem to make short comments, even if their lives depended on it...

Completely abridged this comment because this was spot on! If you haven't read this response yet, go back to the first page and read it all. His post was excellent and thought out.

Nintendo will continue with the Switch platform. I think it'll spawn a 3DS successor of some kind too, but I'm not sure how it will. Nintendo stated they were heading toward a unified platform, the Switch is the system that they will use. It has massive expand-ability beyond the other systems that came before it. Adaptive and fertile, the Switch has all the successful pieces of Nintendo's past and a strong foundation for future iterations. I suspect it'll be through new hardware and peripherals the Switch will blossom.

NNID: realdt
Nintendo Switch: SW-5592-9965-8137

Twitter:

StuTwo

Link-Hero wrote:

@StuTwo I was talking about the email scam that used to be common back in the early 2000's. Should of thought that the joke might go over some peoples head's, especially with the younger ones.

Why would Nigerian princes use email to scam people? They’re already fabulously wealthy, if it weren’t for the coup that prevents them from accessing their bank accounts in Nigeria they’d be able to get the money out and use it set up a business to share their secret for how anyone can make £1,000s every week working from home...

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

SwitchForce

hmmm.... .02 I agree with some of the posters... they will ride this for the long term on the NS and possible after the 10 year stretch give us NS 2.0HD. Until then they are playing it smart to a wider gaming community that doesn't care about 4k but want a wider game selection. Remember those now will become older and newer Gamers will come along and the NS is posed to take advantage of those up coming gamers. For all the xbox, ps4 hype about 4k at the end of the day it takes more then 4k to keep going and most games aren't 4k or lack of them. If I wanted true 4K immersion-I got a Gaming Desktop with 27" 2440x1440 to do that with that's where the true Powerful gaming is going not a xbox or ps4 those you can't upgrade your GPU of which those can't compete with but not only that but then I can use that like a everyday computer so I don't loose any financial input I had to invest in it. Nintendo is like what darkfenrir said. And to the naysayers if you don't like the NS don't play it-that's really a easy choice to make.

darkfenrir wrote:

To be honest I want them to stick with Switch-type of thing, continue to improve on it like how they improved the Gameboy-line ish I guess?

It just feels the best, and with the technology improvements going on, in latter years we might able to get something like Switch 2 or Switch Pro that can definitely handle 1080p60fps/720p60fps handheld mode and upscaled when docked?

Well hopefully we can >:] Since laptop continues to get better graphics card, I hope that Switch can follow in it.

(I like the versatility of Switch, especially. When I do have a TV, I'll probably use Dock mode a lot xP)

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

Scrummer

@StuTwo It was people pretending to be Nigerian princes, saying basically "If you give me your bank account information, I'll deposit millions into it." and then you would give them your bank account information, and they would take all your money.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

FragRed

@StuTwo There's a way I can make £1000s every single week just by working from home? What suspicious looking link do I need to click on, that absolutely is not a virus or something that would hack into my computer?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

kobashi100

People asking for a 4k portable device. Seriously where do you think battery technology is right now.

A portable device outputting 4K visuals is gonna drain battery super quick and let's not forget about heat.

People are Living in a fantasy land

kobashi100

skywake

kobashi100 wrote:

People asking for a 4k portable device. Seriously where do you think battery technology is right now. A portable device outputting 4K visuals is gonna drain battery super quick and let's not forget about heat. People are Living in a fantasy land

Nothing to do with people asking for it or even battery tech for that matter. It's a simple observation that hardware continues to get more powerful and more power efficient. You would've said the same thing about something that could do HD visuals 7 years ago. In 7 years what is the conventional wisdom now will be just as wrong about future consoles

Edited on by skywake

Ralizah

Even if a 4K-capable Switch is possible, it's probably a few generations out, at least.

Technology is amazing, but it isn't magic.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

skywake

@Ralizah
Well yeah, that's kinda the point. This thread is titled where does Nintendo go after the Switch not what revision of Switch could Nintendo release before Christmas. I assume this was in response to page 1 on this thread where im talking "Switch 3" and 2025

Edited on by skywake

Ralizah

@skywake I'd almost be willing to bet money that there won't be a 4K-capable hybrid console by 2025. Nintendo isn't a "bleeding edge of technology" sort of company, and they're not going to want to charge thousands of dollars for their devices.

Besides, this is Nintendo, which means it won't just be "Switch 1," "Switch 2," Switch 3," etc. They'll be focusing on something else entirely by then, even if they maintain the hybrid functionality (as I'm pretty sure they will).

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

FragRed

@Ralizah I agree with pretty much everything you said. And to continue your statement about Nintendo not being "bleeding edge technology", the fact that the Switch is really only a slightly more Powerful Wii U is the same thing that happened with Gamecube and Wii. They took the technology used in a failed system and just repurposed it rather than compete with Sony and Microsoft on power.

I no longer think Nintendo are going to be moving forward too much with each new console. They struggled enough with going HD, let alone having to then go 4K.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.