Forums

Topic: Octopath Traveler

Posts 601 to 620 of 653

Spoony_Tech

I always have a healer, scholar, and warrior in my party. The 4th is usually whomever I want and usually the lowest level to level them up. Rarely do I have 2 of either of those in my group. I did have 2 scholars for one of the special job bosses and that how I beat it.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@subpopz Yeah that's the one big limitation with it. On the other hand with Olberic as my main warrior/scholar no matter my build my walking armageddon is always on hand. I might switch it up though before investing in a lot of points.

NEStalgia

Dilly_D_Williams

Just wondering if Octopath is for a person who has not played many JRPGs?

Dilly_D_Williams

Spoony_Tech

@Dilly_D_Williams Your best bet is downloading the demo to see for yourself. I would say no otherwise.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Tsurii

Can someone tell me whether or not you can outright miss the intro for a character? I went to pick up Ophilia and didn't mean to talk to her right away before stopping to play that day, hit no on the prompt to start her story and she just joined without the story cutscene you'd get otherwise (unless not all characters go straight into their cutscene when you recruit them. I only got Therion and her so far)

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

Spoony_Tech

@Tsurii You go to the bar and there you can start her story. I didn't even know they just joined your party that way.

MERG said:

Tsurii

@Spoony_Tech ahh, so that's what the option is for lol. It didn't list anything when I picked that in Ophilia's home town (didn't go to a bar before that)

Chew.

3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

NEStalgia

@Tsurii That doesn't sound right, I'm pretty sure I delayed a few origin stories because I was still doing some minor stuff in town etc and never had that happen, but it does sound like it somehow skipped it?

@Dilly_D_Williams I agree with Spoony_Tech, thre's a decent demo that shows you the first chapter. On the surface I'd say "no" in that it's a throwback to classic systems without many modern conveniences, and has some painful difficulty spikes with damage sponge bosses.

OTOH, the simplistic nature of classic systems, a simple menu driven rock-paper-scissors type battle system is pretty easy to get into, if you can sort of develop the "jrpg mindset" of how to approach a battle like a sort of reactionary puzzle. Keep in mind it's not a narrative heavy game, so the story won't really motivate you much like a Final Fantasy, Xenoblade, Persona, etc. type game will. It has short interludes of compelling stories, but it's mostly the gameplay itself that motivates in Octopath.

Octopath reminds me in some ways of FF meets Romancing SaGa/Legend of Legacy.

NEStalgia

Spoony_Tech

@NEStalgia @Tsurii Yeah, I mis-read his comment. I'm not sure if he can see that part of her story or not. I'm still guessing you can at the bar but now I'm not sure.

MERG said:

Tsurii

@Spoony_Tech @NEStalgia I assume you're talking about the bit with me not getting anything to show up when I ask the Barkeeper for a story or whatever the hell that option is? That was before I picked Ophilia up, if that's what confused you two.

I'm not home but I want to play some more later tonight and I'll check and update you, if it shows for me now. I saved in Flame's Grace(?) right after finishing up her first chapter.

Chew.

3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

BrainOfGrimlock

Finished this at the weekend and loved it to bits - won't say any more right now as I can see you're all plowing through it, what I will say is keep going, it's definitely worth it in the end (imo obviously), I'm actually a little sad to have finished it all now so looking forward to you all getting there and seeing what you think!

BrainOfGrimlock

Mii_duck

So, I've finished chapter one for all characters, plus a fair few side quests.

My 'main' is level 19, but the game recommends level 24 for chapter two. And sure enough, my team got their bottom kicked.

Sigh. I'm obviously playing it wrong, and I'm not looking forward to the grind before advancing the story for all eight characters.

Edited on by Mii_duck

Mii_duck

rallydefault

@Mii_duck
Hrm… that does sound a bit off. I never really had an issue with my party being underleveled. I honestly never had to go out and grind or anything. Are you popping into a few of the random caves and mini dungeons as you're exploring? Do you have Cyrus' ability for fewer random battles turned on? If so, you may want to turn it off for a bit.

rallydefault

Mii_duck

@rallydefault - thank you for the reply.

I turn off Cyrus' ability occasionally but I must admit I skipped the random caves and mini dungeons, thinking they were maybe for later to advance the stories.
I shall go back and explore, maybe visit all the chapter two towns to grind for a bit and so I can fast travel in future. Not a major problem, I'm enjoying the game.

Mii_duck

Bunkerneath

@Mii_duck I had exactly the same problem, my main character was level 20+ but all the others were really low, and can't level up these lower characters without them being in my group, so would level up my main and the level difference made it annoying.

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

Mii_duck

@Bunkerneath - yes, I know what you mean. While I'm leveling up four characters I keep thinking "there is a long way to go again to bring the other four up to snuff".

Of course there is a rubber band effect though, as the higher your level the more XP you need to go up, so the lower characters can catch up your main somewhat.

Mii_duck

AndyRogan

Mii_duck wrote:

So, I've finished chapter one for all characters, plus a fair few side quests.

My 'main' is level 19, but the game recommends level 24 for chapter two. And sure enough, my team got their bottom kicked.

Sigh. I'm obviously playing it wrong, and I'm not looking forward to the grind before advancing the story for all eight characters.

Have you got any secondary shrines yet?

AndyRogan

Bunkerneath

@Mii_duck Yes, but even the normal enemies are getting too hard for some of my characters to beat, one hit and they are almost dying. That is why I gave up on it, even though I was so excited about it after playing the demo.

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

Mii_duck

@AndyRogan - I haven't yet, must admit. But after a bit of Googling - yep, the game gives you the tools you need.

I've been, if not exactly rushing through, not relaxing either.

Mii_duck

AndyRogan

@Mii_duck I'm at a similar place, I think chapter 1 is complete for all 8, trying to level up before moving on, looking up shrines so I have access to more weapon types and moves at any one time.
Started as Cyrus, he's level 21, then got 2 @ level 20 and 1 @ level 16. The other 4 not used are around level 14

AndyRogan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic