Forums

Topic: Octopath Traveler

Posts 361 to 380 of 628

rallydefault

@darkfenrir
Just the Ophilia boss gave me trouble so far. I wasn't breaking him enough to keep him from summoning the minions that would count down to self-detonations for huge damage.

I'm not exactly the most patient gamer in the world (which is why I usually stick to action/adventure games), so I tend to just barrel into fights with no strategy/rarely do I pause to think about a few turns ahead lol

rallydefault

Kimyonaakuma

@darkfenrir Can you steal from bosses? I've tried before but it says "Unable to steal/collect" instead of a percentage.
If there's an item to get from a boss you should get it once they're defeated, such as a sword or shield.

@Yorumi I prefer this structure to the forced linear ones of many JRPGs. I do feel like they have sacrificed the bond between the characters for this but I think it was worth it, and they still have short conversations anyway.
But for some games I don't mind the linear story, Persona games are quite linear (it's literally one day after another for a year), but I think it is still amazing because they give you freedom in other ways.

I'm just not a big fan of those games where you spend hours travelling around (even though the world is ending), saving people because you are the chosen one. One of the reasons I like Octopath Traveller so much is because the stories are quite small in scale.

Kimyonaakuma

darkfenrir

@rallydefault Ah I see... weird, by now I kinda defaulted to ignore those minions since they get called again... Maybe it's just the case of overleveling. Good luck on the next bosses though.

@Kimyonaakuma Hmmm, I'll check again next time then for stealing from bosses. I completely forgot you can steal from enemies right now since I only stole in the cities... so yeah.

darkfenrir

Mountain_Man

I'm a few hours into the game, but I'm really enjoying it. My only small disappoint is that Ophilia and Primrose have effectively the same "path action", one is called "Guide" and the other is called "Allure", but they both do exactly the same thing: convince an NPC to follow your party so that you can use him as an additional meat-shield in combat. I was really hoping that each of the 8 characters would be entirely unique.

The Mountain Man

Kimyonaakuma

@Yorumi I'm happy with this game but it's trying out new ideas and won't be perfect because of that. But seeing so much innovation from a small team at Square with a limited budget is seriously impressive, even the main FF team isn't doing that. I'm sure the next game will refine Octopath's main elements to make it even better, even if it isn't related to the game directly.

@Mountain_Man Your disappointment might continue, there's only four path actions except half the characters use the "noble" version - Ophilia, Olberic, Alfyn and Tressa, and the others use the "rogue" version - Primrose, H'aanit, Cyrus and Therion.
The noble versions work without any risk but can't be used on all characters, the rogue versions work on all characters but there is a risk of ruining your reputation in the town where it happens.

^^^
Edit - I didn't know this was already mentioned, I was still typing...

@darkfenrir I forget to do it too, it's easier just to use Therion and steal everything

Edited on by Kimyonaakuma

Kimyonaakuma

meleebrawler

@Mountain_Man I've never tried it, but could you guide two people at once if you had both Ophilia and Primrose in your party?

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

rallydefault

@darkfenrir
Yea, I think I hit it perhaps a tad underleveled and/or without the best skills to break consistently. Everything before and after that has been smooth sailing.

rallydefault

Kimyonaakuma

@Yorumi That's a good way to look at a game! I don't care to be really critical about what I'm playing, every game has flaws but not every game is enjoyable, luckily this is very good.

I'm enjoying Octopath Traveller and it's definitely my game of the year, it's not really flashy or anything like that but it's doing what most games and developers aren't and I appreciate that

Kimyonaakuma

SuperTeeter64

I’ve beaten everyone’s chapter one, highest level 20 while others around 10-15-18 range. Is there a good spot to level grind?... I’m trying to do Cyrus’ chapter 2 but the enemies keep kicking my butt. XD

SuperTeeter64

Spoony_Tech

@SuperTeeter64 Well I have one more chapter one character to go and my 2 highest are above level 20. One at 25. I would suggest doing the easiest chapter 2 and go from there.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Mountain_Man

meleebrawler wrote:

@Mountain_Man I've never tried it, but could you guide two people at once if you had both Ophilia and Primrose in your party?

Yes, so you can essentially have up to 6 characters in combat, which is not a bad perk. The "noble vs. rogue" dynamic is kind of interesting, but it seems like a wasted opportunity to not have made 8 unique path actions. Of course then that would have had you constantly swapping characters in each town just to use all the path actions. so maybe it's sound game design.

Regardless, I still think it's one of the best JRPG's I've ever played.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

Gameplay_Matters

Dunkey trashed this game. I have to admit, most of it has truth to it. This game is not for everybody. It's mostly for those that were betrayed by Nintendo for cancelling the Virtual Console and who really wanted to play their favorite 16Bit RPGs on the Switch. But for me also, the nostalgia isn't there. Octopath hovers between bland and cringy. That was okay back then, but the game seems awfully outdated to me.

Square-Enix even removed random encounters for the DQ8 remaster. Games like Ni No Kuni feel much more advanced. It's nice to have the game for the hardcore, but I don't see it winning any GOTY titles.

Gameplay_Matters

Seacliff

Very little Dunkey had to say about the gameplay was based in fact.

I mean, he had to strip his entire party and spam attack to 'prove' battles are slow and boring? Pretty sure that's not how it works.

Seacliff

Spoony_Tech

I don't even know why I watched that. It was cringy at best and someone that just wanted to hate on the game because it's popular atm.

Plus no one said anything about GotY for this. It's not that type of game and combat to the point I'm at seems fast and fluid plus you dont just spam the a button over and over as that will get you killed.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

mtness

i agreed with a lot of what Dunkey said in his review, but in saying that most of what he spoke about was from the point of view of someone not liking this type of game, someone not really investing in the experience, yes most of what he said if played as he described is true.

unfortunately in my opinion the game isn't mean to be played the way he described, im loving this game, the stories have actually sucked me in, i wasn't to sure about them to begin with but now some 35hrs in im totally invested in six of the eight stories.

but for me the real winner of this game is the combat, it is actually very subtle, its build upon wonderfully from the old school jrpg's and i find myself constantly being challenged and thrilled when i finish a battle, the optional dungeons are difficult rewarding and heaps of fun.

this game is my favorite game on the switch, and im enjoying every minute of it.

Switch Friend code: SW-8195-9091-2139

darkfenrir

Iirc Dunkey never liked JRPG games anyway soooooooo, yeah.

darkfenrir

Mountain_Man

Seacliff wrote:

I mean, he had to strip his entire party and spam attack to 'prove' battles are slow and boring? Pretty sure that's not how it works.

I've found that battles are almost like mini-puzzles. The trick is to "break" as many enemies simultaneously as you can, but this often requires thought and planning and careful utilization of your characters' abilities. Anybody who is just spamming the base attack over and over again is going to have a bad time, especially if none of your characters' base attacks happen to align with an enemy's weaknesses.

But, yes, Octopath Traveler will likely only appeal to those who have a fondness for old school JRPG's. That's not a criticism because the marketing makes it clear that this is explicitly who the game was designed for. But given the game's critical and sales success, it seems there are lot of us out there. People who prefer a more modern take on the genre have plenty of other games to choose from.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

Kimyonaakuma

@Mountain_Man I've never played an old school RPG and I really like it, so I guess it might have a broader audience than they are marketing to. Which is good because at least it's sustainable for future games

Kimyonaakuma

darkfenrir

I still kinda wish we don't need to bring these other people IN party to activate their party banter (So they just need to be in active party for their story) :[

Grinding is fun, but it's kinda long road when my mains are Level 30, or 29, while the others are level 15-18 :')

darkfenrir

Kogorn733

I got the game on release and am taking my time. I'm "maining" Cyrus and so far have been focusing on recruiting/doing peoples' chapter 1 quests. I've recruited Olberic, Primrose, Ophelia, and Tressa, and will probably need to go through another recruitment quest before I'm at the point where I can tackle some optional dungeons and gear up for peoples' chapter 2s. I do plan on recruiting everyone eventually though.

So far, I absolutely love the game. It's not absolutely perfect, but it more than scratches my RPG itch after Xenoblade, and is structured perfectly so that you may play an enjoy it in bits (for example, during a morning commute).

PROS:
(1) each character is unique, useful, and interesting. I haven't gotten to the point where I can equip secondary classes yet, but I imagine that will make tinkering with them even more fun
(2) the stories have all been good, though I've only completed 5 character's chapter ones so far. Primrose's was by far the most interesting, with Ophelia's perhaps being the least interesting/moving a little too quickly
(3) combat is fun. Random encounters can get annoying sometimes, but I've found that equipping one of Cyrus's passives makes it much less of an issue.
(4) the sidequests I've played so far, most of which have been in towns, are surprisingly well fleshed out for this type of game. Several of them have relatively creative solutions that require using path actions, and require you to memorize certain details about townspeople. In addition, when you turn in a quest, the NPC doesn't just say "oh, great"--there's usually some storyish consequence that occurs for them, which I liked
(5) boss fights are epic and have beautiful artwork

CONS:
(1) While I love the art style, it sometimes makes it unclear where paths are, especially in "dark" areas where your character breaks out a lantern.
(2) consumables are far too cheap and weapons/armor are too expensive.
(3) while i'm very early in the game, I haven't encountered much in the way of dungeon puzzles.

Kogorn733

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic