Forums

Topic: Octopath Traveler

Posts 341 to 360 of 628

Spoony_Tech

@Kimyonaakuma That must be the other one I ran into and beat.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ryu_Niiyama

@rallydefault @Spoony_Tech @Kimyonaakuma I've seen three of them and they increase in size. I killed the really fat one (don't remember the name) and I got a VERY nice boost to my stats and money. I did pick up Therion for save scumming and to rob the townspeople blind. He pretty much brings in the loot and goes to sit in the wagon.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Kimyonaakuma

@Spoony_Tech I guess it must have been one if those, there seem to be a few variations but they don't look similar...

@Ryu_Niiyama You're so lucky that you got to defeat a big one! I've only managed to get one of the small ones because the others ran away. I did manage to get EXP x4 though so I went up a few levels anyway

Kimyonaakuma

Ryu_Niiyama

@Kimyonaakuma I have all the magic types covered in party (I think) so I'd been keeping all the elemental stones and hording them, so I have a few L ones that I just unloaded and then I got to rake in the money. I was in a level 45 area with a level 23 team lol. Fear me!

lol.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

maelis

Hello,

i bought the cartrdige version of octopath traveler and it says i need to update the system to play it...
Is it normal?
i'm on 4.0something.

thank you

Edited on by maelis

maelis

Kimyonaakuma

@Ryu_Niiyama I have all of the magic types too, but I've never used one of those stones . At least I have a large collection of them

My problem with them is that I usually only have one character's turn before they flee. Maybe I could use H'aanit's skill to delay their turn and then use magic? I haven't seen one for a while so my team wasn't as good then.

I've only been able to complete two chapter threes but they're still good! (Even Olberic's story has become interesting!).
I also visited two of the towns on the outside of the map and they...weren't amazing to be honest. They're just small towns that are mostly empty, the chapter 2/3 towns are much better in my opinion but I guess they need to be if they are the setting for two chapters.
Hopefully the rest are a bit better, it was cool that the time of day changes to show how far you have travelled but I was hoping that they would be more suited to the end of each story.

Kimyonaakuma

Kimyonaakuma

@maelis Some new games need the latest system update to work, but it should be okay

Kimyonaakuma

Ryu_Niiyama

@Kimyonaakuma So far for me when I use the stones they will perform other actions than fleeing. Like the grooming action for instance (on another monster lol). So they stay there and let me hit them with stones, so long as the other monsters don't wipe out my party. Since I've been robbing towns and getting better gear, I'm hunting them now lol.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Kimyonaakuma

@Ryu_Niiyama I might need to try out these stones then! My main characters are around level 43, and then the rest are somewhere between 25 and 35 depending on how many chapters I've completed for them, but none of them are struggling with battles in areas with danger level 45 for some reason. I thought they would get wiped out but I guess not...

I need to use Therion's skill more! I don't usually steal anything because he isn't on my team very often, maybe I should make a habit of robbing everyone when I reach a new town

Kimyonaakuma

erv

hm, so the demo makes for an interesting intro. I'm on the fence about this game.

Does it open up a bit after a while? And will combatting eggs and woodhogs become more fun? And will battles not drag out for ages without ever knowing how things are going? The big ones can be almost tedious in their menu clenching.

It's a game with lots of quality, that's for sure. I wonder whether or not I'd enjoy it as much as xenoblade for instance.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

isturbo1984

Planning on nabbing this up during my Black Friday pickups week. Should be fun. Planning on picking up XBC2 as well... which should I start with?

"The Skeleton King, secret, post-credits 'true' final boss"
-Eldin Ring leaks

Kimyonaakuma

@erv I'd say it opens up a lot more if you play it past the demo. You're free to start and stop a character's story whenever you like, but some chapters have higher difficulty levels than others so they might influence your order.
As for the battles there's a decent range of enemy species but I have noticed that they start repeating in some areas (such as forest dungeons having very similar enemies), but each area does add at least one new enemy and usually changes the element type of the old ones.
The battles can take ages if you don't have a specific character in your party, but you can eventually switch their jobs to add more skills and weapons, and this really helps make it faster and more interesting.

Boss battles do seem endless at times but the only workaround I've found is to use a certain character's skill which will display their HP, but only for a few seconds

I've not played Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but I have played the original and X, and I would say Octopath Traveller has a much better battle system (I don't like watching characters do auto attacks most of the time) and it's less linear compared to Xenoblade Chronicles. I would say that Xenoblade has more exploration because the world is bigger, and the characters are able to interact more because the story is more linear, in Octopath the characters only have short and mostly pointless conversations.

Hopefully this helps? I think I've wrote too much!

@isturbo1984 I guess it depends on how much time you have and what other games you're planning to get around that time.

Octopath Traveller is less linear and would be easier to take breaks from (You can just play some of the stories and catch up later), while Xenoblade is just one big epic story. I'm personally waiting until there are not many interesting games coming out before I buy Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because it seems to demand a lot of time...

Kimyonaakuma

Maxz

@DiscoGentleman Well you've physically gobbled up half of its in-game items, so I still claim some sort of victory in behindness.

That said, I have had two battles now! I was expecting there to be some sort of explanation for why Cyrus the mild mannered scholar gets thrown into battle, but apparently he simply happens to be a mage, and smiting monsters with magic is just part and parcel of academic life. Makes me glad I never did a PhD.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Kimyonaakuma

@Maxz I thought a lot of his studies included magic and sorcery, and that was one of the reasons why the headmaster was against sharing that knowledge with the public?

Or maybe he just had a weird childhood, who knows?

Kimyonaakuma

darkfenrir

Also if you guys don't know, it seems if you are going to hit an enemy, you can see their name, and from there, it can be colored differently.

White - Full health, probably between 61-100% if I'm to guess.
Yellow - Wounded, probably around 26 or 31% - 60%
Red - Almost dead, I think the leftovers?

So even if you don't have the Analysis skill thingy, you can use this as well.

darkfenrir

rallydefault

@darkfenrir
Ah, good to know!

I really liked Cyrus' story. I'm around level 20 with most of my characters, and I just got to Cyrus. His boss battle was VERY easy for me for some reason (Ophilia's took me three tries, by contrast). Don't know if that's just one of the easier ones for everyone?

Anyway, still looping around the map to gather everyone up, and I'm already like 15ish hours in. I don't know where I'm draining all that time and apparently getting almost nothing accomplished lol I do find myself just wandering around the maps, especially the cities, doing everything I can/looking at everything. Some of the vistas they've created in this game are so beautiful!

rallydefault

darkfenrir

@rallydefault It's okay! I actually find it weird you found the bosses' hard... The first bosses are all quite easily destroyed by my main team in a few minutes since I overleveled massively (Around level 23-ish average for 3 characters... hue). I'm still very reluctant to do the 2nd chapter of everyone though, I want to grind my levels some more... (only 25-ish average, while I'm being asked to do lv22... )

And I do agree that things are looking beautiful!

darkfenrir

Spoony_Tech

Haven't found the need to grind for anything yet but then I'm just going through all the chapter ones first so by the time I'm ready for 2's I should be fine.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Kimyonaakuma

@rallydefault I've completed chapters one and two for Cyrus and I found both really easy when compared to other characters. Both of the dungeons were short and the bosses were not challenging...

At least his story is good

@Spoony_Tech I found a slight jump in difficulty when I started the second chapters but after your first couple of characters it's easy enough, unless you start with the high level chapters first.

Edited on by Kimyonaakuma

Kimyonaakuma

darkfenrir

Oh yeah. I completely forgot to steal items from bosses... Oops. Will have to do that in the future... hopefully I didn't miss some good stuff.

Also I would say that the reason the stories didn't connect is because... there's 8 characters and you might not pick them all up. The amount of possibilities there are... too many, really. Like if someone didn't have only 1 character, there's already 8 possibilities... then if 2... then if 3... then if 4... etc.

I don't think there's too many developers that have the foresight to do that.

darkfenrir

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic