Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 9,901 to 9,920 of 69,954

Octane

@rallydefault Not using the battery at all means that it'll slowly drain anyway. Not a big problem if it's a good quality battery. If it's something like the GamePad? That thing is completely drained after a day, even if you leave it at full charge. However, we already know that the dock charges the Switch when it's docked, so that means it'll keep charging the battery, unless there's a program that shuts off and activates the charge cycles depending on the charge.

Octane

FragRed

@Octane I maybe wrong, but don't most modern electronic devices that are expected to be charged for long periods of time on regular basis, have some kind of software that deliberately prevents the battery from ever being fully charged to prevent damaging the batteries ability to charge? Or is that what you were saying. I'm also likely totally wrong.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Nin10dad

28 Days until Switchmas.....

nintendad.co.uk

Twitter @nintendad

Switch - SW-5274-3655-0708

skywake

I haven't needed to replace the user replaceable batteries in my DS Lite, Original 3DS, 3DS XL, Wii U GamePad or Wii U Pro Controller. The only devices I've ever had issues with battery degradation have been phones. And when that happens? The phone is usually so old that it's less of an issue and more of an excuse to buy a new one.

I don't see the non-replaceable battery on the Switch becoming an issue.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

OorWullie

@ogo79 I keep my Gamepad plugged in all the time now too,never used to but the battery was dying within an hour otherwise.The system definitely doesn't need to be turned on though or even on stand-by for the Gamepad to charge.

Edited on by OorWullie

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

ogo79

@OorWullie
why on earth have i been thinking this?
i could have sworn i read that somewhere, or maybe since i never unplug it i overlooked it.
ive always thought that was dumb anyways. but still...the light doesnt do anything when the wii u is not on so how is it charging if the light indicator isnt on?

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

OorWullie

@ogo79 It's probably just cause the battery isn't holding its charge with the screen being on.With my Wii U turned off,if I unplug the charger to use the socket for something else and then plug it back in later,the light on the Gamepad will come on briefly but as long as I keep it plugged in all the time,I never see the light once it's fully charged.With my Wii U turned on,the light sometimes comes on for a bit here and there.I think my battery is at best now 50% of what it was and I'm not sure if keeping it plugged in is making worse haha

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

RR529

In terms of battery life, I've had my 3DS since launch, and only had to switch out the battery for the first time 2 days ago (so it lasted almost 6 years).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

skywake

@ogo79
That battery LED on the Wii U GamePad only comes on when there's power being drawn from the wall. When you turn on the Wii U the screen on the GamePad is on, if its in the dock it'll draw power from the wall whether it's fully charged or not. If the Wii U is turned off the GamePad also turns off. So when the Wii U is off the little LED will only stay on if the GamePad needs charging.

ogo79

Dj64Mk7 wrote:

@ogo79 Are you talking about the charging indicator on the GamePad?

yup

OorWullie wrote:

@ogo79 It's probably just cause the battery isn't holding its charge with the screen being on.

i think i forgot to mention i always keep the gamepad off...

skywake wrote:

If the Wii U is turned off the GamePad also turns off. So when the Wii U is off the little LED will only stay on if the GamePad needs charging.

perhaps i have an everlasting battery cuz the light never has stayed on

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

SpentAllMyTokens

@FragRed - I have definitely heard that about batteries. Back in the day, the standard was to not keep things plugged in longer than necessary to keep from overcharging the battery and to at least some of the time let the battery drain until it was completely dead. I've definitely heard that you don't need to do these things now to maintain battery life, because the tech has improved. That seems to be the case, because I certainly abuse my batteries in my devices and haven't had an issue.

Personally, I've never had major issues with smartphone batteries (My last phone - the 4S, I had for almost 5 years, and it was still going strong when I finally upgraded). I have a launch WiiU, and I haven't had any issues with the battery yet either (except for it doesn't last long enough in general), so I'm not too overly worried about the Switch. If you're really dedicated and electronically savvy, I'm sure there will be guides and toolkits that will allow you to change the battery yourself (I have opened up iPhones for non-battery related reasons, but I would feel comfortable changing the battery in one - it would just be a pita). Worst case scenario - as a retro console, it'll be a home console only so it can stay plugged in all the time - which isn't really the end of the world, as you'll probably have a shiny new switch2 to take on the go.

Batteries have come a long way since this: http://theocdgamer.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/game-gear-batt...

Edited on by SpentAllMyTokens

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

BigBadJohn

In the last few years batteries in consumer electronics have improved considerably and have built in over charge protection. Now don't get me wrong I don't know what quality of battery Nintendo are using in the switch but you've got to give them the benefit of the doubt. These big companies put a lot of time and money into R&D and they know if they stick in a crappy component that is insufficient and potentially dangerous (I'm looking at you Samsung) then this will cause the company financial and reputational damage. The Wii U looked like a cheap toy whereas the Switch looks like a premium product so hopefully the tech inside is premium too. Only 1 month to go, can't wait to get my hands on it.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Octane

@FragRed I presume there is. Most devices these days stop charging when it's fully charged. So you definitely don't have to worry about that first point. Can't tell you anything about the second one, depends if the AC adapter can bypass the battery or not (this also dictates if you can use it still in docked mode when you battery is dead). Either way, leaving it completely drained isn't good either, but we know that's not the case since they dock also charges the Switch. I assume there's a minimum threshold charge that activates the charging process again once that's reached (usually around 50% to keep the battery in the most optimal condition).

Octane

BigBadJohn

@FGPackers actually I think you'll find it's less than one month now. Most stores will open at midnight so its actually 27 days 14 hours and 22 minutes. Some people should learn to check their facts before posting on here. I'm really getting the hang of these forums lol

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

gcunit

I'm confident that within a month of the Switch coming out there'll be a guide somewhere on the web to how to change the battery yourself. If you don't like the fact that it's not user-friendly then show Nintendo by not buying a Switch.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

FGPackers

@Mellor2000 Hype can really make bad things to people, especially for myself. I'm hyped for this new console from maybe...the reveal trailer

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

skywake

gcunit wrote:

I'm confident that within a month of the Switch coming out there'll be a guide somewhere on the web to how to change the battery yourself. If you don't like the fact that it's not user-friendly then show Nintendo by not buying a Switch.

Step 1: Void your warranty

note: I don't think the non-removable battery is an issue. But still, it's not going to be as easy as just looking up a guide.

BigBadJohn

@FGPackers I'm right there with you brother.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic