Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 9,881 to 9,900 of 69,962

Luna_110

That quote from Kimishima smells to overconfidence. Yes, they're pushing it far more than the Wii, but they do need to rebuild the bridges they burnt with the Wii U before aiming at Wii levels.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

StuTwo

Luna_110 wrote:

That quote from Kimishima smells to overconfidence. Yes, they're pushing it far more than the Wii, but they do need to rebuild the bridges they burnt with the Wii U before aiming at Wii levels.

I wonder how much of that is just that, being president of a big company, he has to exude confidence. It's pretty much his job. Any signs of a failure of confidence on his part could instantly hurt the share price and have big implications.

His confidence might also be influenced by the physical location of his office in Japan. Switch will be incredibly successful in Japan and the negativity surrounding Nintendo following the Wii U is much weaker in Nintendo's homeland where the 3DS is king of its domain, the Xbox One is non-entity and even the Wii U didn't wipe out quite as badly as it did in the West.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

PrincessSugoi

Pixel Princess Blitz has just reached it's kickstarter goal. Set for 2018 release on the Switch.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lanzegames/pixel-princes...

Has NL covered this game yet? Seems really cute and charming. I'd back this if I had the cash to spare rn but alas, I'll just support the game at release.

Current Playlist: Age of Calamity, Stardew Valley, ACNH

Hopeless permanent resident of Idol Hell.

3DS Friend Code: 4184-2503-1604 | Nintendo Network ID: sasamitails

Octane

@Redeyes Responding to your argument in the other thread. Nintendo markets the Switch as a home console because the 3DS is still selling. That's all there is to it, but you've figured that out yourself as well. If it's a success, it'll become both; and if it isn't, they still have the 3DS to fall back on.

Octane

erv

3ds is out and we know it.

Switch will sell like Wii for the simple reason that the platform will exist for a long time. With annual iterations and all that.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

FGPackers

Assuming Bethesda got the dev kit when they released the Skyrim SE, here's explained why game come on Switch this fall. I don't care because i'm gonna get Skyrim either way

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Octane

@UTXGamer I thought the Switch was the easiest platform to port to.. A year sounds absolutely terrible, so I'm pretty sure something was lost in translation there.

Octane

FGPackers

Octane wrote:

so I'm pretty sure something was lost in translation there.

If this is true, and honestly i think it can be, it has just the right potential to make internet trolls and haters attack in another STUPID way the Switch. An example? I read on another forum, some days ago when tech specs came out on Nintendo site, that litium batteries are bad for Switch cause they deteriorate with time. Cmon...

FGPackers

jump

FGPackers wrote:

Octane wrote:

so I'm pretty sure something was lost in translation there.

If this is true, and honestly i think it can be, it has just the right potential to make internet trolls and haters attack in another STUPID way the Switch. An example? I read on another forum, some days ago when tech specs came out on Nintendo site, that litium batteries are bad for Switch cause they deteriorate with time. Cmon...

Well if you can't change the battery and the battery deteriorates over time it's future as retro console is done.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Octane

@FGPackers The Li-ion batteries? Well yeah, they degrade over time. The problem is that we can't replace them ourselves. Sure, you can pay Nintendo to replace you battery, but what happens when that service ends? Unless you can bypass the battery, but their recent handhelds and the GamePad don't allow that either. On top of that, we don't know the quality of the battery either, the GamePad battery for examle is a disaster quality-wise. Li-ion batteries are also prone to leaking when they die. It's far from favourable. And although I do believe they were limited in their choice, they could've included the option for us to replace the batteries ourselves. I would've preferred that.

Octane

FragRed

@jump To be fair, modern gaming consoles aren't going to be great for retro consoles. Once servers shut down, a lot of games are gonna be pretty poor without the patches or being able to download the hundreds of indie/download only games.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

FGPackers

@jump @Octane I know they degrade over time. But i read on internet of people complaining that this type of battery dies after less than 2 yrs. That's kind of ridicolous and the hate that this console is getting even BEFORE launch pisses me (can i say that?) off honestly. I mean: we almost don't even have the console in our HANDS (said almost referring to people who tried it at events or so), for not talking about our houses. It's really irritating

FGPackers

Grumblevolcano

Seems Yooka-Laylee is definitely not getting a physical version for Switch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

LzWinky

FGPackers wrote:

@jump @Octane I know they degrade over time. But i read on internet of people complaining that this type of battery dies after less than 2 yrs. That's kind of ridicolous and the hate that this console is getting even BEFORE launch pisses me (can i say that?) off honestly. I mean: we almost don't even have the console in our HANDS (said almost referring to people who tried it at events or so), for not talking about our houses. It's really irritating

It uses the same type of battery as most electronics these days...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Octane

@TheLZdragon Yeah, Li-ion batteries, and they last about 2 to 4 years, depending on the quality of the of battery. I think the average is about 1,000 charge-discharge cycles. I've had two phone batteries die after about two years of use. I've also had to manually replace my laptop battery after 2 years of use.

Octane

rallydefault

Octane wrote:

@TheLZdragon Yeah, Li-ion batteries, and they last about 2 to 4 years, depending on the quality of the of battery. I think the average is about 1,000 charge-discharge cycles. I've had two phone batteries die after about two years of use. I've also had to manually replace my laptop battery after 2 years of use.

I've had smart phone batteries last for twice that long, though. Seems mileage will vary.

rallydefault

ogo79

erv wrote:

3ds is out and we know it.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

rallydefault

So here's a question:

What if you keep the Switch in its dock the vast majority of the time? Will that still tax the battery, especially if it's always at full charge in that state?

I'm not a battery expert, so 2 possibilities occur to me:

1. It actually degrades FASTER because I've heard it's not good to keep a battery in a perpetually charging state.
2. It doesn't really degrade, because it doesn't even get used.

Edit: I also just want to say that people seem to really be freaking about something that's probably not worth freaking out about this much. Yea, after close to the typical lifespan of a console you may have to pay Nintendo to get your battery replaced, but for me, that doesn't seem like a huge deal. And please don't just start shouting about the lifespan again. Can we stop jumping to conclusions about how long it's going to last until we get the final product and start to see battery failures? Every piece of tech is different, and none of us have had a Switch for the past 3 years to say for sure that its battery is going to play out in any exact way.

Example: My Xbox One's power source just died the other week after a few years, so I'm gonna have to pay for a new one of those. If it's not one thing it's another, and all tech devices come with caveats that are largely unavoidable.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

ogo79

rallydefault wrote:

So here's a question:

What if you keep the Switch in its dock the vast majority of the time? Will that still tax the battery, especially if it's always at full charge in that state?

I'm not a battery expert, so 2 possibilities occur to me:

1. It actually degrades FASTER because I've heard it's not good to keep a battery in a perpetually charging state.
2. It doesn't really degrade, because it doesn't even get used.

since ive had my wii u i never unplug the gamepad. it runs off the wall supply.
every now and then i have to unplug it from the wall and plug it back in when the battery hasnt been charging since the only way you can charge the stupid gamepad is by having the system on. been doing it for years. i imagine the switch will work the same way...
i like ranch fritos

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic