Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 9,861 to 9,880 of 69,952

ogo79

TheLZdragon wrote:

Well I'm convinced that this won't be another "Wii U". Nintendo is pushing so much harder this gen.

hope yer right dude

gcunit wrote:

All you saying this news is good should keep it to yourselves as Nintendo will likely take such a reception to mean they can charge more and people will still be ok with it.

i agree. thats how business works and people here fail to understand this year after year.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AlliMeadow

@gcunit @ogo79 I disagree. Suggesting a great price for a product to later go above that price is ridiculous marketing. People would be mad. They would likely be more mad if the final price is $40 after being suggested it might be $25 than if they never heard anything about the price and it ended up at $60.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

Octane

@AlliMeadow Problem is that Nintendo never suggested it's going to be $25. 2000/3000 yen doesn't mean its going to be €25/$25 over here. The Switch itself for example is 29980 yen (€245), but is €330 over here in Europe. Until they officially announce the price for the west, we don't really know. All we know is that it's probably not going to be €60/$60.

Octane

AlliMeadow

@Octane got you! Then I agree, it would be stupid of us to get mad over a slight increase in price.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

rallydefault

ogo79 wrote:

TheLZdragon wrote:

Well I'm convinced that this won't be another "Wii U". Nintendo is pushing so much harder this gen.

hope yer right dude

gcunit wrote:

All you saying this news is good should keep it to yourselves as Nintendo will likely take such a reception to mean they can charge more and people will still be ok with it.

i agree. thats how business works and people here fail to understand this year after year.

If Nintendo is reading this board and incorporating our feedback in any meaningful way (which they are definitely not, let's be clear), then please explain:

-Why no Metroid
-Why underestimate NES Classic demand
-Why hilariously bad Wii U marketing
-Why bone-headed decision to charge for Mario Run
-Why... well, EVERYTHING?!

Carry on the celebrating.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

jump

Snake Pass has been comfirmed for the Switch now.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Octane

@jump I'm more excited for Snake Pass than Yooka-Laylee to be honest.

Octane

ogo79

sometimes the term supply and demand means just that.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

skywake

JaxonH wrote:

Boom!!! Switch online will only be $20-25 per year!

Now THAT I can do. I wouldn't pay no $60 but $20? To have voice chat in Nintendo games and more games with online, that alone is worth $20 a year

I'm still hoping that they'll put subscription time up as a My Nintendo reward. Specifically gold coin rewards. Originally when I put this idea on the table I thought "buy a game, get a month". If it ends up being that cheap? It should be buy a game, get 3 months.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

LzWinky

rallydefault wrote:

ogo79 wrote:

TheLZdragon wrote:

hope yer right dude

gcunit wrote:

If Nintendo is reading this board and incorporating our feedback in any meaningful way (which they are definitely not, let's be clear), then please explain:

-Why no Metroid
-Why... well, EVERYTHING?!

Carry on the celebrating.

Why ignore good decisions for bad ones?
Why only mention bad decisions?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

skywake

So apparently EBGames Australia are ringing around asking people who've pre-ordered whether or not they want to pick it up on day 1 or not. Specifically if you're ok with waiting until the second shipment so that your order can be available to people who walk in without a pre-order. And if you don't pick it up within the first weekend they'll automatically move you to the second shipment. Never heard of this happening before.

I think it's fair to say that the Switch is doing pretty well..... and EBGames are being a bit dodgy not honouring their upto 2 week pre-order hold guarantee.

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

-Why no Metroid

Not that I think they listen to fan forums but I'll have a go at explaining anyways:
1. We haven't got Metroid because Metroid doesn't sell. Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and Splatoon do
2. To be fair they are probably right to use those factories to manufacture a certain other product....
3. Early on they marketed it like it was the Wii. When it was sinking they pulled resources
4. Why are people so defensive of the free-to-play model?

Edited on by skywake

MumboJumbo

A bold statement from Nintendo's president. I don't think the Switch can possibly reach Wii levels (101.63m) without a cultural phenomenon like Wii Sports.

Edited on by MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo

Haruki_NLI

@MumboJumbo chokes on drink H think itll do WHAT?

Then again Toto has been wrong before, unless I see another source corroborate beyond a Tweet (Why is everything via tweet, even international policy?), then meh.

This is the man who aaid it woulsnt do as well as Wii.

Also, sell as well as the wii? In what regard? Lifetime hardware? Software? Over a period of months? Launch? 2nd year on market? Its a very broad statement. Maybe he means in profit, or total revenue.

Going to need clarity as "Selling as well as Wii" can be in reference to any aspect of wii.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

skywake

@BLP_Software
It depends on how approximate "about as well" is. Remember that the Switch is also a portable system and the only modern system in that space. There isn't going to be a Vita 2.0 from Sony and the 3DS is well beyond its prime. It's doing that in addition to being Nintendo's home console. How well it ultimately does is hard to guess. But if it does as well as the average portable has done (~80mill) and also attracts a few extra for being a Nintendo home console (~10mill)? It's well on its way to doing as well as the Wii

edit: it also depends on what region they're talking about. About as well as the Wii in Japan would be less than every portable system except the Vita. In the US it would be Nintendo's best performing platform other than the DS. And of course globally it's a bit more than the average portable.

Edited on by skywake

MumboJumbo

@skywake

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLASHD01H4F_R00C17A2000000/

The original Nikkei article only has a small extract from Kimishima's interview. It mentions the Wii's sales of 101.63m, which leads us to believe he was making a worldwide lifetime comparison. Maybe the quote was taken out of context. We have to wait for a full transcript of the interview to find out.

As for the handheld side, Kimishima hasn't ruled out the possibility of a 3DS successor yet. We don't know for sure if the Switch is going to be the only modern system in the handheld space for the next generation. I think 80 million is still going to be a tough target to hit. Previous Nintendo handhelds were driven by exclusive mainline Pokemon titles and relied on regular hardware revisions to sustain momentum. It's still not clear whether the Switch is the new home for the Pokemon series or just a second home, and we don't know how well it lends itself to hardware revisions.

Edited on by MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo

FGPackers

The real point in the interview to me is that they're still not even sure if make a 3DS successor. This should mean a lot in terms of Switch push and system software. Maybe i'm going bold here but, if this is true, this could hint at the so famous unified library and/or that they'll make another portable only if Switch fails. Seems incouraging to me on the Switch side of the story

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

skywake

@MumboJumbo
I don't see any reason why the Switch can't be all those things. Specifically I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to make some kind of Switch-Mini down the road. I know the detachable JoyCons are part of the concept but there's no reason why it has to always be that way.

They could make a budget Switch that is compatible with the dock but doesn't include it. One that is compatible with the controllers but have them built in. Like the Switch equivalent of a 2DS. And at that point why do they need a separate console to cover the portable market? Especially if they can have an account system that has purchases and saves tied to an account rather than a system

@FGPackers
I'm pretty sure that their plan is to make the Switch the 3DS successor. Has been since they merged the portable and home console divisions. They want to make it just a single platform for Nintendo stuff. All the talk about the Switch not being a 3DS successor is just a safeguard. If the Switch concept tanks then they have something to fall back on

StuTwo

skywake wrote:

@MumboJumbo
I don't see any reason why the Switch can't be all those things. Specifically I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to make some kind of Switch-Mini down the road. I know the detachable JoyCons are part of the concept but there's no reason why it has to always be that way.

They could make a budget Switch that is compatible with the dock but doesn't include it. One that is compatible with the controllers but have them built in. Like the Switch equivalent of a 2DS. And at that point why do they need a separate console to cover the portable market? Especially if they can have an account system that has purchases and saves tied to an account rather than a system

Absolutely 100%. It won't (and shouldn't) happen this year because it would muddy the messaging about the central concept of the Switch but a "Switch Mini" or "Switch Junior" handheld pitched at £100-£150 and marketed differently (in the way that the 2DS has successfully been) makes so much sense.

At the same time, once they become less rigid on the concept they can also make a third "Switch Home" box that would be really cheap and effectively function as a Switch that's permanently fused to the dock.

There's no doubt at all in my mind that Nintendo is all in on the Switch - it's just a matter of what they announce and when.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic