Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 9,801 to 9,820 of 69,981

rallydefault

@gcunit
I understand that - that's still the "base" price for your region, and my argument is that the base price is perfectly reasonable.

rallydefault

gcunit

@rallydefault No, base price in UK is £279.99

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

jump

rallydefault wrote:

jump wrote:

mav-i-am wrote:

Octane wrote:

@Operative2-0 I understand the argument, but why? There's only 2 million Switch units available for launch, and most of the buyers are getting Zelda anyway. A bundle wouldn't really make any sense business wise; Selling Zelda separately also means that they can profit of both items instead of one.

Having 1 - 2 Switch bundled would make more sense tbh

It would if they had more than 2 games at launch.

Tbh I'm shocked they didn't include a free Amiibo game as the bundled in launch title, it something that would likely be free in the first place and promote people to buy more Amiibo. I doubt it would be the sandbox game (some)people keep asking for but something like Mario vs DK or Amiibo Festival (without the focus on Animal Crossing) would have done.

...Switch is launching with 7 games, not 2.

Edit: Did you mean first-party games? Do any consoles typically launch with more than 2 first-party games?

You misunderstand, I wasn't criticizing the day one line (which is woefully thin), I was criticizing 1, 2, Switch being a bundled game when Ninty can only pump out 2 games for launch.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

rallydefault

gcunit wrote:

@rallydefault No, base price in UK is £279.99

Oh, so you want a bundle for only 20 more pounds (sorry - no idea how to do that symbol on my keyboard lol) for a full-release game like Zelda.

My point is that I think you're asking for too much. Do we have any solid figures on whether or not Nintendo is selling the Switch at profit at launch prices? My hunch would be no, with an outlying chance of perhaps a slim amount. Though with the portable/home duality along with the Joycon tech, I really think not. Reggie gave an interview on this, stating that they really had to squeeze to meet this price point, and they definitely couldn't afford to have a game with it. I know we all want to just not believe the PR talk, but you also can't discount it. He very well could be telling the truth. And we can't expect them to just sell everything at a loss and somehow magically make enough money to still be around and make games for us.

@jump
Sorry, I'm still not quite sure what you are saying lol
I also don't think 7 games on launch day is "woefully thin." I don't know about you, but I'm not going to have time to play 7 games in the entire month of March let alone the launch day or launch week. If you do, that's great - I'm jealous lol

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Octane

@rallydefault They're not selling it at a loss, Kimishima said so during a financial report. Far more reliable than PR-man Reggie in a random interview.

Octane

rallydefault

@Octane
Yea, we got the link.
For clarity: I never said (and Reggie never said) they were selling at a loss. I had a hunch, which was proven wrong, and Reggie just flat out never said it.

rallydefault

jump

[quote=gcunit]

rallydefault wrote:

Sorry, I'm still not quite sure what you are saying lol
I also don't think 7 games on launch day is "woefully thin." I don't know about you, but I'm not going to have time to play 7 games in the entire month of March let alone the launch day or launch week. If you do, that's great - I'm jealous lol

Of course I wont be getting all "7", I'm stuggling to find 2 games I want.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

MumboJumbo

Slides from Nintendo's corporate strategy meeting presentation:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170201_2e.pdf

• Switch won't replace 3DS. Many unannounced 3DS titles in development.
  • Price point was set to ensure that the hardware is not basically sold at a loss.
  • No changes to Nintendo's plan of shipping 2 million units worldwide by the end of March 2017.
  • There are over 100 titles in development from over 70 publishers.

Edited on by MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo

skywake

You know that thing where people are wondering how they're going to charge the Switch while it's in tabletop mode? And how people assume they need a second dock for easy charging? I was thinking about this and did some googling.... this is most definitely a thing already:
Untitled

And it's a pretty simple device with standard connectors so there are heaps of other ones. I think we can pretty much guarantee that by the end of the year game stores and electronics retailers will be flooded with this sort of stuff. The Switch is probably the first truly mass-market device that uses USB Type C.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

@skywake
Also this from Hori

Untitledprint screen windows

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

FGPackers

I was wondering a thing: since i would like to play Switch mostly docked, i fear that maintaining the console in there can seriously damage the battery with time. Do you think so too? Will i have to remove the console from time to time (maybe while not playing the night)?

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

skywake

@JaxonH
I'm not sure if I like that stand as the ultimate solution. It's a nice and compact device for travel if you want to use table-top mode while charging. I don't think it's a good device for charging in general. I can't see anyone setting one of those up on their kitchen bench or bedside table as a place to charge their Switch when they've finished playing. It's no better than just a simple cable in that regard.

But if there was something that you could just drop the Switch in an charge that was cheaper than the full dock? That'd be pretty good. Kinda like the Wii U GamePad or 3DS charging docks. And the best thing is we don't really need to hope that one appears because they already exist. Fingers crossed for a Switch specific one that has the alignment rails.

chardir

@skywake So, the joycons are waterproof now?!

Friend Code: SW-1014-2011-3950 (Switch name: Dii)
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: LMR-JBK-RWG

gcunit

@chardir Yep, waterproof joy-cons confirmed - 02:55!

Nintendo's marketing is still a mess. The audio in those trailers is consistently horrible because you have the backing track, the game sound effects, and the reaction noise from the actors, all on top of each other, for the length of the trailer - it's not nice to listen to, and as there's no voiceover to guide you through the trailer and provide any narration or explanation, they lack clarity.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

skywake

gcunit wrote:

and as there's no voiceover to guide you through the trailer and provide any narration or explanation, they lack clarity.

If they need narration then the message is too complicated. They get away with not having it because the key selling point of the Switch is simple. That video has the title "Nintendo Switch - Play anytime, anywhere, with anyone". As a piece of marketing nothing more needs to be said IMO.

Edited on by skywake

OorWullie

I liked it,an evolution of the original reveal trailer.it's probably too long and they spent a bit too much time on 1-2 Switch but it shows off it's concept and all the possibilities it offers very well.

There was a blink and you'd miss it part where they show a video playing on it,could be Youtube or Netflix.Nothing exciting and inevitable they'd be on there but neither were confirmed before.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

FragRed

@OorWullie It wouldn't be Netflix as that's been confirmed not to be available at launch but maybe at a future date, though Nintendo don't appear sure.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic