Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 7,961 to 7,980 of 69,952

gcunit

Those boxarts will be (are) fake. That MK8 sticker may as well say "Free to all Wii U owners".

This is the internet. Unless you see original artwork, assume someone has photoshopped it in their bedroom.

Same goes for those 'in store'displays that were posted the other day. Unless someone has actually verified them inside a store, the fact all the artwork was taken from the Switch reveal trailer is very questionable.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

skywake

@gcunit
All I'm saying is that it seems like unnecessary work. If I was going to create a faked piece of cover art? I'd do a google image search for game art and post it as is. The less you do the less likely you'll make a mistake that people are going to pick up. Mirroring some existing art not from the game and editing the L? Adding extra stuff to the box? It's possible someone did it it just seems unnecessary.

And EBGames themselves certainly wouldn't bother to do that. They've had placeholder images for Switch games on their site before. And those were literally poorly cropped pieces of game art with the Switch logo on the top. No effort at all. Hell, their Mario Kart 8 placeholder "art" was literally just a grey box with "Mario Kart" on it. So, knowing EBGames Australia, I'm leaning towards legit.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

IceClimbers

@gcunit Those in-store displays are real. Multiple postings of similar displays using the same fonts and artwork have shown up.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grumblevolcano

@skywake Well we know the Switch version will have the Wii U DLC simply from the Switch reveal trailer. I'm not sure whether that would be part of the extra tracks though as there are some Wii U bundles that already have the DLC packed in as a download code. The 24 tracks and 10 characters may all be new content.

That would be feasible too as an alternate reality where games like MK8 and Smash were Wii U system sellers and saved the console likely would've had MK8 DLC support until the end of 2016 (November 2014, April 2015, November 2015, April/May 2016, November 2016).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

IceClimbers

@skywake Another bit about that boxart: in the original image, there's a banana peel in front of Peach. In the boxart, the banana peel is not in front of Peach, but instead in front of Luigi.

skywake

It's also worth noting that a lot of the fakes that have floated around have looked pretty sus. With things like reflections that don't make sense or dodgy MS-Paint jobs. Even the pretty damn impressive fake controller from months ago. There were things about it that seemed odd. With these pieces of box art and in particular the one for Mario Kart? If it's fake it's one of the better ones. It's different enough from the original while still not being odd. I think it makes too much sense to automatically brush it off as a fake.

@Grumblevolcano
Very possible. I mean they did announce the DLC packs for Mario Kart 8 in 2014, probably before they decided to shift resources over to the Switch. By the time the second pack was out? They could have easily started working on content for the Switch port instead. Which means that the Switch release gets the original content, the Wii U DLC and the content that would have been DLC on the Wii U if not for them shifting their energy over to the Switch.

Edited on by skywake

IceClimbers

@skywake @Grumblevolcano
If that were the case, that would mean the Switch version has all 32 of the original tracks, the 16 DLC tracks on the Wii U version, and 24 additional tracks? That would be more than two Mario Karts worth of tracks in one game!

skywake

So basically we've all agreed that 24 new tracks is either:

1. A very impressive but still entirely plausible amount of new tracks given the time they've had
2. Not a huge amount more content than we already have but still a decent bundle regardless

Edited on by skywake

erv

@IceClimbers you just sold yourself mario kart switch.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers Well MKDS had significantly more tracks than SMK, MK64, MKSC and MKDD. Then you had MK8 on Wii U and DLC being more than the 7 previous games.

If Mario Kart is going to be treated as a platform, 72 tracks isn't particularly unrealistic for MK8 Switch at launch especially as 48 of them were all finished as of April 2015.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

SMK: 20 tracks total, 8 track themes
MK64: 16 tracks
MKSC: 40 tracks, 20 new, 20 identical to SMK
MKDD: 16 tracks
MKDS: 32 tracks, 16 new, 16 retro
MKWii: 32 tracks, 16 new
MK7: 32 tracks, 16 new
MK8: 48 tracks, 25 new
MK8S: 72 tracks, 24 new/retro, 48 identical to MK8

Edited on by skywake

Octane

I wish I posted this morning that I didn't believe those were real, so I that could say; ''I told you so.'' Here's some hindsight analysis I made this morning; The Zelda box art is still the place holder box art, MK8's title is completely off-centre, and the Lakitu looks like a rushed photoshop job. Skyrim looks believable, but that's because it's just the PS4/XOne box art. Now, we've seen horrendous box art in the past, but it's not something you'd expect from a company like Nintendo. Oh well, I thought they were just placeholders put up by EB Games, but they're even less than that.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

Upon looking at the Twitter post, I was going to say; 'can the Nintendo Switch even run DOOM without melting in the palm of your hands'?

It's a demanding game that runs at a (mostly) silky smooth 60fps in a 1080p resolution.

Peek-a-boo

skywake

I think the thing that fooled me about it was that it was very close to home. And the details made enough sense for me not to question it. Both the games themselves and the fact that EBGames does this sort of stuff all the time. Then to top it off Vooks, who is usually onto this sort of stuff, didn't tear it to shreds on twitter. Instead he posted a thing about people not understanding placeholder prices. Which now makes a lot of sense given that vooks was the one who faked it.

Also he's done this before. A few times. This is the first time I think he's fooled me.

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Going by Digital Foundry and their findings:

(In contrast), DOOM on the Xbox One regularly struggles to hit full 1080p, more often coming in around 1472x828 or lower.

And with the Nintendo Switch being weaker than the Xbox One...

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Well, they also said that despite the fact that the Xbox One doesn't always hit its 1080p target, it still runs smoothly. Maybe lower some other settings too? It should be possible I think. Anway, I don't think that Doom will be ported to the Switch anyway, so I guess it's a moot point.

Octane

rallydefault

Shinion wrote:

People claiming that games only sell well once and once only and are only worth talking about for one period which is the original release of the original version are out of touch with the reality of the market. Remasters, remakes, collections of trilogies, episodic games, late ports, GOTY editions, standalone releases for DLC/expansions... and that's without me forgetting anything. I dare say no other entertainment industry has as much blatant flogging of the same stuff (let's call a spade a spade and say at heart for example Arkham City on PS3/Xbox 360 then the GOTY editions then the Wii U port and now its inclusion in the Return To Arkham are the same or at least have the same main draw which is Arkham City) and that is because this stuff works. It works brilliantly and you're just wrong if you're arguing otherwise, there's not a company worth talking about that has only released a beloved game once and that was that and they ended their support of that game as it was.

Now this is not to say these things are foolproof or are guaranteed to work on the Switch but if porting to it is as painless as has been rumoured then I don't see why people are worried about the performance of the Wii U 'enhanced ports' or games like Skyrim Remastered or Dark Souls 3. As I already said it's stupid to think they'll sell as well as they did on PS4 but as the concept of re-releases is as standardised as it is we should expect them to perform adequately.

At least not like the infamous Wii U ports which were token efforts at best most of the time and offered nothing beyond playing Mass Effect 3 on the loo on an SD screen when a trilogy of the series was available on other systems at the same price. With the Switch we'll get to play Mass Effect Andromeda on the bus on a HD screen!

But seriously let's not kid ourselves and say that Skyrim of all games is beyond caring about because it originally released 5/6 years ago.

Again, I completely see what you are saying, but my argument is not "just wrong." You are grossly simplifying what I'm saying.

You only need to look at the Wii U ports!

The truth of the matter is, as always, the middle ground: remasters and ports do not ALWAYS sell well OR sell badly. It depends on the game, the quality of the port, the added features (if any), etc.

rallydefault

MarcelRguez

@Peek-a-boo Until we see what can be done with the Switch's specs, you can't really compare it with anything else.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic