Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 7,921 to 7,940 of 69,954

rallydefault

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

@rallydefault Better to have Overwatch on the Switch than not.

For sure... or is it? Because look at it this way: Overwatch comes out on Switch and doesn't really sell too hot (reason being that by-and-far people already own it and have invested in it on a different platform). Activision, owner of Blizzard, then uses those poor sales as evidence that they really don't want to be super involved with Nintendo's platform.

Sounds a bit hyper-thoughtful, yes, but that's exactly the sort of thing Ubi and others pulled with the Wii U. They "magnanimously" gave Wii U some of their biggest franchises (and you can't argue that: Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Call of Duty, etc.), and they sold poorly. On our end, we said, "Well that's not fair - most of those games released on other systems nearly a year ago!"

But now here we are trying to defend Overwatch coming out on the Switch? How short our memories are! IF Overwatch would be on Switch, AND we'll give it the benefit and say it launches with it, it will be the same story: nearly a year since it launched on THREE other platforms. The same sort of business then repeats itself, and then the tone of this forum magically becomes radically different: "Well of course Overwatch on Switch wasn't going to do well! It already sold millions on three other platforms! Very few were left who haven't already bought it!"

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@rallydefault It's a tough one because on the other hand you have Minecraft which was several years old when it came to Wii U and still ended up being the best selling game on the eshop.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Buizel

@rallydefault The Wii U was quite a different situation however.

1. Games didn't sell (partially) because of the low Wii U user base. If the Switch sells better, publishers are less likely to give up on it. Even if early titles don't do too well, if the Switch has sold 15 million+ in its first year they'd be more willing to give it a second chance.

2. There wasn't really any benefit to getting the Wii U version. These were games already available on XBox 360 and PS3, which at the time were very well-established platforms. Wii U ports were bad, missed content, or provided no other incentive other than gamepad support (which very few were even remotely interested in). This is largely up to the 3rd party, but an intrinsic benefit of porting a game to the Switch is that, unlike XBO and PS4 versions, it will be portable.

At least 2'8".

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano Minecraft is more of an exception rather than the rule. Same goes for Skyrim and GTA V. Those games have proven to be ones that people will buy multiple times.

Problem with Overwatch is that it's an online-only game. It's one that needs a healthy player base to survive, and Blizzard may not think the game will acquire a healthy base, especially when there's currently an install base of zero. As a result of that, Blizzard probably won't port it.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Shinion

Yes Overwatch should be on the system, because what may or may not happen due to its success or failure will just remain hypothetical if it doesn't get ported, and no one really benefits from its exclusion so... why not?

But yes, it will be an issue as it always is with these things. I love Overwatch and I'm perfectly satisfied with it on PS4 and returning to it every now and then to add to my 70+ hours I've spent on it (a rarity for me nowaday) and I see no reason to 'double dip' with this kind of game if I buy a Switch especially as there's not much happening with it in portable mode. And no any potential Nintendo skins thrown into the completely random gambling system isn't what I'd call worthwhile content, though I'm sure it will happen if Overwatch is ported.

I find it incomprehensible that publishers will expect similar sales of their games as the PS4 and Xbox got with this considered...

Shinion

FragRed

@Whitewatermoose Firstly what is COD Bloodlines and where did you hear this rumour? Secondly, why would it be exclusive to the Nintendo Switch considering Activision have an exclusivity deal with Sony regarding COD marketing time exclusive DLC for COD games.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

DB-S_RE

Happy New Year 2017 everyone. Hopefully switch will sell like hot cake in this year and all year ahead. So we all can get the game we like on that hybrid system. Will Nintendo announce all their port games during Jan 12 event? Or just some core/exclusive games?

DB-S_RE

GrailUK

Happy New Year Nintendo fans. BRING ON THE SWITCH!!!!!!!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Shinion

@Whitewatermoose Don't put anything into that rumour. Pleeeeease. Not just you, but anyone reading this. That Vita CoD game was bad, like really, really, really bad, and any exclusive game Nintendo will theoretically get from Activision will have the same amount of effort and money put into it, at best.

If we're setting our parameters for the Switch event or the Switch in general to be positive based on whether it gets a proper, EXCLUSIVE CALL OF DUTY(!!!!!!!!!!) then we will be considered delusional loons even on Dodo Land.

Just lay this sort of thing down now, we've got the best part of two weeks. Based off of rumours there are a fair amount of things to be positive about in down-to-Earth world.

Nintendo footing the bill for an exclusive Call of Duty game isn't "going all in". It's absolutely ridiculous.

Shinion

rallydefault

@Grumblevolcano @Buizel

Thank you for your replies. I definitely agree with a few things you guys said.

I was expecting someone to bring up Minecraft, and I honestly still have no idea how to explain it. Minecraft has truly become its own empire, and will forever be enshrined in video game history. It's broken more than a few trends and "usuals" in its time, so I really have no explanation for how well it's done even so far after its first release. The only thing I can say is that it does differ from Overwatch: Minecraft (at least I believe) was only a PC title at first; it didn't launch on consoles initially, whereas Overwatch did. And since Switch is a console, you're primarily dealing with Xbox/PS as your "competition" in terms of how long games have already been out, etc. But yes, that still doesn't explain how it's selling so well on Wii U even to this day.

And the final point I agree on is the 3rd party: Activision (Blizzard). It would be mostly up to them if they wanted to "spice up" Overwatch on the Switch, or simply release the same exact thing that is already available on three other platforms. I could see certain collector-type people wanting to own the Nintendo version if it would have some spectacular exclusives. I, however, would not be one of them: I'm content with owning the game on PC.

Anyway, I'm just a bit nervous, I guess. I really don't want the Switch to go the way of the Wii U. I want Nintendo to continue making their hardware, because I feel like they are really the innovator. Video games just wouldn't be the same without Nintendo systems, at least not to me. And if the Switch fails, I don't know if Nintendo will put out another system.

rallydefault

DB-S_RE

Will FFXV ever make it to nintendo switch? Or FFVII remake which still in development?

DB-S_RE

skywake

@rallydefault
I'd argue that you're putting too much of the blame for poor sales of third party games on the Wii U to the Nintendo fanbase. And there is some truth in that because Nintendo's IP is some of the strongest IP in the industry. But that's not the whole story. I'd argue that the main reason third parties pulled away from the Wii U was because of the install base not the attach rate. The people who had a Wii U did buy those games but there wasn't enough positive momentum for the Wii U itself

To put it another way, most of these third party games on the Wii U sold ~300k units. Early in the cycle for a console that never really sold well. If nothing changed but the install base? If the Wii U had sold ~3x the rate and was about where the PS4 was? Those games would have broken 1mill. Their immediate sequels would have had an even better chance given the increasing install base. Just look at the Wii and its list of million sellers. Games just had to exist on that system and they'd sell. Nintendo fans are not allergic to third parties.

@IceClimbers
Why is it being online-only an issue? Quite a lot of games these days are online-only. Nintendo released a Zelda game for the 3DS which was more-or-less online only. One of their biggest new IPs Splatoon is basically an online only game. Sure those games had some modes which were offline and with bots but so does Overwatch.

Anyways, just because the Switch is half a portable system doesn't mean online can't work. Some of the most popular games on Nintendo's portables have had a strong online focus. Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Pokemon. If we're taking games like Splatoon and Mario Maker as a given on the Switch how is the idea of Overwatch freaking people out?

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

@skywake
Yea, I'm definitely putting a bit of the onus on the fanbase. I got my Wii U day one, and for that first year or two, I bought nearly everything that was available for it, EXCEPT for Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, etc. Why? Because I already had that stuff on my Xbox or PC, and there was no way I was going to pay another 50 or 60 bucks for pretty much the same thing. I'm sure many were in the same boat. And also, like you said, Nintendo fans sometimes don't like those sorts of games at all.

That's what scares me about Overwatch. And to get back to the Minecraft thing, another big difference could be the price. People are MUCH more willing to shell out another 20 or 30 bucks for something they may already have, especially if it comes with exclusive Nintendo perks, than paying another 50 or 60 bucks. That's the huge hurdle I see Overwatch on the Switch having: it's not a 20/30 "mini" game, it's a full 60-dollar game that most likely won't have anything different from its other console iterations.

I do fully agree that it's more of an install base thing than an attach rate, though. And in that regard, I agree with everyone else: It would only be a good thing to be able to say that the Switch does have Overwatch, because that can help you build your "gamer" reputation early, building your install base. And if it's easy for Blizz to port and maintain, perhaps despite low sales numbers, then go for it. But it is a multiplayer-only game that would require server support, constant patching, etc.

rallydefault

Azooooz

I'm very curious about the accessibility of the console for both consumers and developers. So far we've learned that, according to Michael Pachter, the Nintendo Switch is the easiest of the 3 consoles (other 2 are PS4 and Xbox One) to develop for. The only thing remains is that how heavy or light is the controller/console, and if the button layout can be remembered easily.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

FragRed

@Azooooz I'm confused about your concerns regarding the button layout? Both Xbox and PlayStation have different button layouts and I've never heard people complain about having any problems remembering them. The Switch is looking to be more in line with Xbox layout so there shouldn't be any problems.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Haruki_NLI

@FragRed I think some complain the wii u had the right stick above face buttons. But for some thats better. Its a win-lose regardless.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Buizel

@Azooooz The Switch has a pretty standardised button layout - any confusion would probably be caused moreso by software (different games, different controls) than hardware I would've thought. The use of joycons on their side may pose problems but I imagine joycon controls will be simple and intuitive, for first party titles like Mario Kart at least.

As for weight, I can see the concern but it doesn't bother me personally. The Switch is thought to have a 6.2" screen, so one could probably estimate weight from that. An iPad Mini has a 7.9" display and weighs ~300g. Similarly the 3DS XL, with its clamshell design, weighs ~300g. The original Game Boy was ~400g. The Switch could outweigh all of these, but I don't see it being jarringly different to the point of putting people off.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

IceClimbers

Her previous sources are from NoE. Hmmmmm.

Got it: Europe will get BotW later than everyone else on purpose so they can advertise the fact that the Switch is region free!

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grumblevolcano

BotW being like 3 months late in Europe seems a very Nintendo-like thing to do.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Buizel

@IceClimbers Perhaps a strategic launch? Maybe both Mario and Zelda are ready, they just need to decide whether it's worth launching with both or saving one til later.

At least 2'8".

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic