Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 7,861 to 7,880 of 69,981

skywake

I don't see how anyone is surprised by this Assassin's Creed rumour. Confusing wording aside it's not unprecedented for that series to come to a Nintendo platform. Assassin's Creed 3 was a Wii U launch game about a month after the game launched on the PS3/360. Assassin's Creed 4 came out on the Wii U at the same time as the PS3/360 releases. Sure Syndicate and Unity skipped the Wii U but by that stage the Wii U was losing support from all corners.

So it doesn't surprise me at all that Ubisoft would come back for the Switch. They're throwing away the PR excuse that Nintendo's systems aren't powerful enough for their vision. Purely because they can't resist the opportunity to be one of the earlier games of that genre on that system. If the Switch goes on to sell 50mill+ units? They're going to want to have their IP on that platform. And anyways, they're not opposed to putting AC on mobile, portables, legacy platforms and so on. A Switch AC shouldn't surprise anyone.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

IceClimbers

Gaf is having an argument over what time period the games shown in the January 12th will cover, and how much gets saved for E3/Directs.

The way I see it, Nintendo basically has to show off enough titles, both 1st and 3rd party, to impress people and get some strong momentum going while still having enough bullets in the chamber for later use at E3/Directs/whatever to keep said momentum going.

If they blow too much of their load in the presentation it could backfire later when they can't keep up the hype and momentum with a bunch of new announcements.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

FragRed

@IceClimbers Nintendo could easily just talk about year one games during the January conference and use E3 to talk about 2018 and beyond while providing updates on late 2017 releases.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

IceClimbers

@FragRed That's what I was thinking. There's some on Gaf who seem to disagree with that though.

Not expecting Pokemon Stars to show up though. TPC announces stuff on their own schedule usually and they probably don't want to piss off people who just got Sun/Moon for the holidays. Expecting that announcement in April

skywake

@IceClimbers
Well this was the European equivalent that we got for the Wii U before launch

Obviously there's a lot not to like about that video. Content, length, tone and so on. But I think that sort of format would be fine. For a pre-launch direct it did do the right things in terms of what it focused on. They need to talk about prices, SKUs, services and so on. Then they need to go through the games that'll be coming in the launch window. And ideally end with an announcement of Bayonetta 3

Edited on by skywake

Haruki_NLI

@skywake End with an announcemwnt of Bayonetta 3 and watch the internet lose ots collective crap again because Nintendo cant have something nice for once.

This raises a point. Even if Nintendogets the games and some great third party exclusives like a Bayonetta, who is to say itll be viewed as worth it?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

skywake

@BLP_Software
Some people make up their minds very early on. They then spin everything they see in a way that suits their narrative. Especially the things that run counter to that narrative. Bayonetta 2 was one of the only major positives about the Wii U for the "core gamer" audience early on. So the fact that it existed became something to criticise.

The Switch definitely needs content like that. What needs to be different is the volume of that sort of content. If it gets enough? People will stop talking about how horrible it is that this game or that is a Switch exclusive. Instead they'll start talking about how awesome the Switch's library is or at the very least not get an easy audience for their negativity.

Edited on by skywake

FragRed

@BLP_Software If rumours are to be believed it'll be Beyond Good and Evil 2 that sets the internet alight this time round. A Bayonetta 3 wouldn't so much because the second was already exclusive and I feel people would be more prepared to accept a third exclusive.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

IceClimbers

@FragRed This is definitely true after her inclusion in Smash. I saw quite a few people call her a Nintendo character.

Octane

@BLP_Software The same would happen if Bayonetta 3 turned out to be an Xbox exclusive, or if Monster Hunster suddenly became a PlayStation exclusive again. So again, if happens both ways, people get upset that the system they bought doesn't get the games they were hoping it would get. Whether that reaction is validated or not is a different point altogether, but I know you just want to create an example to prove your whole ''the world hates Nintendo'' statement...

That's some negativity I see a lot these days...

Octane

Shinion

@Octane I mean you and I both know that this presentation does not matter one jot as to what reaction certain people will have immediately after it. Yes Bayonetta 2 would've been equally (mayyyybe not?) hated by PlayStation players if it was an Xbox exclusive or vice-versa but that doesn't really confirm or deny this "everyone hates Nintendo" thingy. Not that I ageee with that phrasing particularly, it's deliberately hyperbolic to undermine the original person's point, that being that people have already made their minds up.

Both ways too definitely but it's the rampant negativity that does more harm IMO. You better believe people will be called 'fanboys' if they find the presentation exciting as they have been for not thinking the Wii U was gutter-trash or not calling for Miyamoto's immediate retirement.

You've been here long enough to know that will happen regardless and surley who the likely candidates to say that rubbish are. Not exactly the world hating Nintendo but still incredibly juvenile and stupid.

Shinion

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Do I believe the world hates Nintendo? Yeah. Do I also believe the world hates Sony? Yeeep. Ive seen so much crap flung at Sony for movies or weird decisions with Playstation. Same with Xbox and PC. Always going tto say let people do what they want and enjoy what they want. Dont poop all over their day because they like the produce of a certain company. Constructively criticise yes, question yes, but dont slander.

You think little of me, that much I can tell, and thats fine. Do I truly believe the world hates Nintendo? Depends how big your world is. However in this current climate of uncertainty, dorection and a recent colossal failure, examining their negative points and deciphering all possible routes, reasons and rectifications is a good way to temper expextations.

As I said above, a third party cult exclusive drew ire to Wii U and didnt help. But as stated that could just be due to volume by another user. This enables the further discussion of what we may want or expect in certain aspects of Switch.

@FragRed Id see the internet catch fire just for BG&E2 just having a release date. Bayonetta 2 was a surprise. This is a delayed piece.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@Shinion @BLP_Software One thing that is important to remember is that most of the backlash comes from a vocal minority. And it's best to not spend too much attention to it. What I don't like is feeding that negativity by trying to confirm it, whether it'll happen or not. Or in this case use the example of a game become exclusive as proof that the world hates x company. My point was that regardless of the platform and game, when a popular series becomes an exclusive on another platform, that always sucks. The same thing happened with Rise of the Tomb Raider and that timed exclusive deal on the Xbox. Yeah, there was some backlash from PS4 users, and rightfully so. Doesn't mean the world hates Xbox and wants to see the company burn down though. I can understand - in this context - it would garner some complaints and that is completely fine.

Anyway, going back to what I first said, there's always negativity that is not validated, and the best reaction to that is to just ignore it. Cause it happens all the time, with everything, for every company, whether its film, gaming, politics, etc. You're not helping it by adding fuel to the fire.

That being said, I don't think that the attitude in this particular thread has been negative at all. People have questioned the Switch, I too, and rightfully so. Doesn't mean I, or anyone else for that matter, want to spread negativity about Nintendo. Just wanted to get this out here as well. It's easy to be excited about something, but sometimes it's better to challenge something and see what its shortcomings are, if it survives that test, then it's a pretty good product. In my field we do this all the time. When you're writing a paper, you want to get it peer-reviewed. When it's your job to review a paper, you don't look for the good things, even though it's great to hear what you've been working on is good. Instead you look for the mistakes, the arguments that aren't well formulated, the data that is questionable or poorly presented, unaccounted parameters or variables. And that's the first thing you do when you're reviewing your own work first. Try and see where it fails, and if it doesn't, then it's presentable to the public. In a same way I look at consoles. I try to find their shortcomings, see on what accounts it may flop, not because I dislike it, the opposite is true, I want it to succeed.

Octane

Luna_110

I'd love an announcement for Bayo 3. Not only because Bayo 2 is one of my favourite games this gen, but also because I'd pay to see the reactions in internet again. I mean, the game released on 2014 and we still get people crying about it on 2016!

The topic on Gaf about Bayo 2's announcement is pure gold and must be preserved for everyone's viewing pleasure. If BG&E's rumored announcement causes the same reaction, it will make its way into my bookmarked page for when I want to laugh at idiocy.

Edited on by Luna_110

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

WebHead

@Luna_110 Definitely going to be interesting to see the games announced. Nintendo not going to show absolutely everything in the presentation but at the same time it has to impress.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

MarcelRguez

Octane wrote:

Yeah, there was some backlash from PS4 users, and rightfully so.

Lol, no. That was the definition of a tantrum. They were getting the game anyway.

@Luna_110 Agreed. Schadenfreude is one hell of a drug.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Shinion

Octane wrote:

@Shinion @BLP_Software One thing that is important to remember is that most of the backlash comes from a vocal minority. And it's best to not spend too much attention to it. What I don't like is feeding that negativity by trying to confirm it, whether it'll happen or not. Or in this case use the example of a game become exclusive as proof that the world hates x company. My point was that regardless of the platform and game, when a popular series becomes an exclusive on another platform, that always sucks. The same thing happened with Rise of the Tomb Raider and that timed exclusive deal on the Xbox. Yeah, there was some backlash from PS4 users, and rightfully so. Doesn't mean the world hates Xbox and wants to see the company burn down though. I can understand - in this context - it would garner some complaints and that is completely fine.

Anyway, going back to what I first said, there's always negativity that is not validated, and the best reaction to that is to just ignore it. Cause it happens all the time, with everything, for every company, whether its film, gaming, politics, etc. You're not helping it by adding fuel to the fire.

That being said, I don't think that the attitude in this particular thread has been negative at all. People have questioned the Switch, I too, and rightfully so. Doesn't mean I, or anyone else for that matter, want to spread negativity about Nintendo. Just wanted to get this out here as well. It's easy to be excited about something, but sometimes it's better to challenge something and see what its shortcomings are, if it survives that test, then it's a pretty good product. In my field we do this all the time. When you're writing a paper, you want to get it peer-reviewed. When it's your job to review a paper, you don't look for the good things, even though it's great to hear what you've been working on is good. Instead you look for the mistakes, the arguments that aren't well formulated, the data that is questionable or poorly presented, unaccounted parameters or variables. And that's the first thing you do when you're reviewing your own work first. Try and see where it fails, and if it doesn't, then it's presentable to the public. In a same way I look at consoles. I try to find their shortcomings, see on what accounts it may flop, not because I dislike it, the opposite is true, I want it to succeed.

I mean, your continued hyperbole is irritating at this point especially after I already called you out for it in my previous comment.

You responded to someone who was merely pointing out what should be obvious at this point about how some people have already made their minds up and how people should be hesitant at taking everyone (especially those people) as wholly sincere and honest by bringing up this extreme borderline conspiracy theory out of nowhere that did nothing to refute what they said.

I personally think that more could-and potentially should- be done to counteract such things happening here but nothing has changed since I suggested possible improvements months and months ago unfortunately, with such things as what happened just a couple of pages ago where "most Nintendo fans" were just tarred with the same brush for completely no reason by someone who takes pride in their maturity to not engage in dem there Console Wars and then just exited with little engagement or backing up of their accusation. It's called *REDACTED*posting and it sucks, gets in the way of any worthwhile debate or positivity and other sites have taken steps to curb it as much as possible.

You're right that it's a vocal minority which is fortunate but it doesn't help matters when this hyperbole you're using is used to defend them. Maybe, to borrow your turn of phrase, try to extinguish the fire instead of blaming those who "add fuel to the fire" and framing them as unstable extremists? Especially when stirring the pot seemed to be this individual's intention by their continued absence from this thread.

It's apparent what these people want, they want Nintendo best on their favourite system, and that's fine (at least for me others may think otherwise) but at least don't be sly and try to paint your intentions as something more sincere, especially when it's as blatant and trite as it was a couple of pages ago.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

Buizel

Some interesting thoughts on what Nintendo need to do to make the Switch a success.

I largely agree but I'm a bit more optimistic. The trio of battery life, power, and price aren't absolutes - personally I think Nintendo should prioritise battery and price over power, although its seems that they can get it within reasonable range of the XBO and it definitely appears more powerful than the Wii U.

Also a mention of virtual console and Wii U ports, as has been discussed at length here. I pretty much fully agree with him on these points.

And then there's marketing, where I agree to an extent that Nintendo should shift their target demographic. I think that the most important thing about the Switch is that it combined Nintendo's efforts into one system. This is an excellent opportunity for marketing as they can focus on selling this one system. I want to see the Switch on the side of buses, on billboards, on TV. Nintendo should engage more with social media and online services such as YouTube - a lot of their potential customers will be there. And how about social features on the console itself? How about letting you share your Zelda progress on facebook? That's advertising in itself. Nintendo really need to, and really can, step up here.

At least 2'8".

Shinion

@Buizel Good video, I recommend others watch it. I also disagree with him on certain things, he's convinced that kids and the 'casuals' who bought the Wii are never going to buy a Nintendo again which I think is ridiculous. Also I remember that puppet in a video that completely massacred Colour Splash not long after its announcement and he puts far too much emphasis on the importance of franchises like Metroid as these people tend to.

Good video all round though.

Shinion

Buizel

@Shinion Hmmm...I think it's more complex than saying that "casuals" will never buy into Nintendo again. I agree that Nintendo shouldn't target the "casuals" first and foremost. They need the system to resonate with gamers before it can appeal to new audiences.

But, in my mind, a casual is a potential gamer. Everyone starts off playing games casually. Nintendo's future success relies on them getting new customers. The casual audience is important, but I think it's a difficult audience to keep in the long-run, and a risky audience to target primarily.

To sum it up, I think Nintendo should target the core gaming audience (which is fairly sizeable), and hope that this drives them to more mainstream success. The people following it from day one, after all, will be the more dedicated gamers.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic