Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 661 to 680 of 69,981

skywake

@DefHalan:
The problem with a micro-console is that it's another platform to support. The only way I could see it working would be if it wasn't another platform, if the portable was also the micro console. Either like the VitaTV or by just putting HDMI out on the thing. But then you run into limitations on what kinds of input that portable can support. Does the portable have a touch screen and the controller not? All of a sudden it's very complicated again.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Paulthevgnerd

@DefHalan: Nintendo has been hyping this up way too much with this "brand new concept" thing for it to be something as simple as a micro console. As Skywave said, it would be an extra console they would need to support and really don't need.

Paulthevgnerd

Paulthevgnerd

@DefHalan: Nintendo has been hyping this up way too much with this "brand new concept" thing for it to be something as simple as a micro console. As Skywake said, it would be an extra console they would need to support and really don't need.

Edited on by Paulthevgnerd

Paulthevgnerd

DefHalan

@skywake: Only if you think they will continue to support systems the same way they currently are. All those smaller games released, eShop only Nintendo games, would become Micro Console Releases.

@Paulthevgnerd: The Micro Console isn't the big announcement. The fact that they are merging their two systems together through a 3rd device that acts more like a companion to the two main systems. It is Nintendo's big set to get people into the Nintendo Market by having a device for whatever room or situation you want it for.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

iKhan

Here's a crazy thought.

What if the NX IS a home console releasing 2017, but there is an unrelated portable launching this year that Nintendo simply has not mentioned at all.

That is the system that we are hearing news about, and everyone is assuming it's the NX.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Rob_mc_1

I know they say it is going to be different then the Wii U and the 3DS and that it wouldn't compete and interfere with the Wii U or the 3DS. They said the same thing about the DS and the Gameboy brand and in the end it was replaced. When I look at the Wii U game pad and the New 3DS the control scheme is the same. The screen setup is the same even if it is not as effective on the Wii U. Then When I look at the cloud processing and I'm thinking that no it is not to a central server but is instead a device in your own home that the Streams the output to your device. I imagine some like if your 3DS streams the game from the Wii U that is running on the Wii U with the 3DS as the tv and control but over the internet. That is also where I would see the 900p graphics coming into play as streaming to your Mobile/portable controller. A setup like that would ultimately replace both the Wii U and 3DS in one swoop.

Then just to make it more interesting make a mobile app that can run games from your NX sitting at home while your on the road. This would allow for a uniform game save across all devices.

Mind you I can't see Nintendo adopting that kind of setup.

Edited on by Rob_mc_1

♠♦♣

skywake

iKhan wrote:

Here's a crazy thought. What if the NX IS a home console releasing 2017, but there is an unrelated portable launching this year that Nintendo simply has not mentioned at all. That is the system that we are hearing news about, and everyone is assuming it's the NX.

I'm quite fond of the reverse idea. That the NX is a portable launching in 2016 and always has been. That there's an unrelated home console launching in 2017 that Nintendo hasn't really talked about but mentions in passing when asked. And people only asked about the home console because everyone "knew" that the NX was a home console.

People assumed the NX wasn't a portable because when the codename came out in early 2015 that only made sense. The Wii U was struggling and the 3DS was still going strong, in the US at least. The assumption was that Splatoon and Super Mario Maker would be small and that Zelda U would be the last Wii U game. And the media played along because home consoles make for better headlines.

Edited on by skywake

iKhan

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Here's a crazy thought. What if the NX IS a home console releasing 2017, but there is an unrelated portable launching this year that Nintendo simply has not mentioned at all. That is the system that we are hearing news about, and everyone is assuming it's the NX.

I'm quite fond of the reverse idea. That the NX is a portable launching in 2016 and always has been. That there's an unrelated home console launching in 2017 that Nintendo hasn't really talked about but mentions in passing when asked. And people only asked about the home console because everyone "knew" that the NX was a home console.

People assumed the NX wasn't a portable because when the codename came out in early 2015 that only made sense. The Wii U was struggling and the 3DS was still going strong, in the US at least. The assumption was that Splatoon and Super Mario Maker would be small and that Zelda U would be the last Wii U game. And the media played along because home consoles make for better headlines.

Oh I agree it's more likely, just less mind blowing than if something came out before NX.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Therad

What is the difference really? NX is most likely a codename, does it really matter to which console it belongs to?

Therad

Octane

@Therad: Seeing how we've had more than a year of going back and forth about whether it's a home console or handheld console, I wouldn't mind if we actually knew what type of console it is.

Octane

skywake

@Therad: If both are being released one after the other? It probably doesn't matter at all. And I think that's probably what'll happen regardless.

Interesting thing to point out from the financial stuff though. They put up a slide showing Nintendo published games to release soon on both 3DS and Wii U. What's interesting is how few titles are in the pipeline for the 3DS, particularly in Japan. And thinking about it I realised I can't think of any 3DS being directly developed by Nintendo currently. That we know of. Fair to assume that they've already pulled resources from 3DS development.

Therad

DefHalan wrote:

@skywake: Only if you think they will continue to support systems the same way they currently are. All those smaller games released, eShop only Nintendo games, would become Micro Console Releases.

@Paulthevgnerd: The Micro Console isn't the big announcement. The fact that they are merging their two systems together through a 3rd device that acts more like a companion to the two main systems. It is Nintendo's big set to get people into the Nintendo Market by having a device for whatever room or situation you want it for.

You are a bit confusing, you are saying NX is a micro-console, but it isn't a big announcement?

And there is a better way to "merging their two systems", all they need is to use the same tool sets for both consoles and basically just compile games to two different targets. Maybe change the button layout a bit, but if they release 2 new consoles they will probably map buttons much better than what has happened in the past.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Smash_kirby

I had a dream that the NX is a portable but the system and OS is designed to be able to be manufactured by other companies, if they wanted to, with a common system feature set and able to play all of Nintendo's game but other companies can have a specialized version of the hardware.

Edited on by Smash_kirby

Smash_kirby

erv

Portable dancing humanoid stripper banana, then.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

WebHead

@NintyMan: so assuming NX launches this year they'll likely announce the release window, form factor and core concepts in April or may then reveal the name, design, basic specs, and launch titles at E3.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

DefHalan

@NintyMan: "Not too late in the course of this year"... as in financial year or actual year?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

rallydefault

Paulthevgnerd wrote:

@DefHalan: Nintendo has been hyping this up way too much with this "brand new concept" thing for it to be something as simple as a micro console. As Skywake said, it would be an extra console they would need to support and really don't need.

I said the SAME exact thing. FIRST. But @Skywake gets the credit? How typical.

(I'm joking... but kind of indignant about it lol)

rallydefault

Zerodactyl

I'm gonna laugh when it's announced as a toaster.

SUBSCRIBE to my GAMING YOUTUBE CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/channel/UCqGc24cyhnXLO3EZ3yPXEzQ

My Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Funny Moments Montage: https://youtube.com/watch?v=8jCaVRifWcQ

3DS Friend Code: 1161-0648-3584 | Nintendo Network ID: Zerodactyl | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic