Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 6,421 to 6,440 of 69,950

Grumblevolcano

BLP_Software wrote:

@Octane Its been positive up until some loud folks started calling Doom at the top of their lungs with 4GB of RAM and storage space, etc. etc. They are worryingly noisy and noticed. Cant go on YouTube without them popping up somewhere, probably because they make the site money.

Just hope January goes well. Trying to be a positive Nintendo fan, or a positive developer, is very difficult in this time.

Well that's the issue with leaks/rumours in general, I wouldn't be surprised if the new one about the console's lineup will cause more negativity over the next 2 months due to very few new games. That rumour gives the concept that the Switch is a port console.

Hopefully most people just decide to wait for January's info.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Therad

Octane wrote:

@MumboJumbo That's not the point. Skywake explained it in the post above this one. With every new "generation" the graphical leap will be less impressive. There will be a point when people can't tell the difference anymore between, let's say, 4K and 8K. It's no use pushing for higher resolutions when there's no benefits anymore. That means devs will start to focus on stable framerates and more detailed environments. But more details = more work. And nobody wants to spend 5 extra years on a game when the difference doesn't really matter anyway. There's only one thing left to do, that's make the hardware smaller, since there's no reason to have a giant box under your TV anymore. When the hardware becomes small enough that it might fit in a handheld, why not make it a handheld hybrid like the Switch? It's not like they're still comprimising on processing power, because you can't see the difference anyway.

I would say framerates and HDR are much more important than bigger resolutions.

Also, I would say that 4k TVs are worthless for most people, since it requires you to either have a really big TV or sit much closer than the distance from the TV than todays norm. Take the switch trailer as an example of the distance people have from their TVs. I think they were quite a good representation of typical living rooms, and no one in the trailer had a big enough TV to benefit from 4k.

Therad

Therad

Grumblevolcano wrote:

BLP_Software wrote:

@Octane Its been positive up until some loud folks started calling Doom at the top of their lungs with 4GB of RAM and storage space, etc. etc. They are worryingly noisy and noticed. Cant go on YouTube without them popping up somewhere, probably because they make the site money.

Just hope January goes well. Trying to be a positive Nintendo fan, or a positive developer, is very difficult in this time.

Well that's the issue with leaks/rumours in general, I wouldn't be surprised if the new one about the console's lineup will cause more negativity over the next 2 months due to very few new games. That rumour gives the concept that the Switch is a port console.

Hopefully most people just decide to wait for January's info.

I think (some) Wii U owners might be miffed, but those that skipped the U might find it nice they have a chance to play some of those gems. Porting something can often also be outsourced, which makes their internal teams be able to focus on new stuff.

Overall I think Nintendo will have a better line-up than 3ds/Wii U, since that is one of the areas they have acknowledge they did poorly.

Therad

Shinion

"The Switch is a port console".

And just when I thought the crazy, crazy world of Nintendo speculation couldn't produce anymore quality belly laughs out of me. Is that like the Colin What's-His-Face article about how the 3DS would be nothing but N64 ports because it got 2 in its launch window (one extremely close to a remake) and got 1(?) more remake in its entire lifetime.

Here's a crazy thought- I bet Retro, Intelligent Systems, Monolith Soft, Next Level Games (Fed Force 2 WHOOOOOOOOO!) are all working along with Nintendo's internal studios on video games for a video game system. Because, and I hope you get my logic here, that is their job.

Gonna take a bit a credit there the moment more than 1 new game is shown on January 12th,

Shinion

Therad

We still don't know if there are any ports besides BotW. Both splatoon and Mario kart showed new content.

But even if they would have some ports, it wouldn't be such a bad thing. Many haven't played those games, and they are very good. If nintendo can have a more fleshed out launch line-up to lure in other people, I say go for it. It isn't like you are forced to buy them, even if they would have new content.

Therad

Samurai_Goroh

The people that will buy a Nintendo console at launch are the loyal fans. Chances are they already have the Wii U. What incentive is there to get a console flooded with ports of the older one? The priority should be new games at launch and release the ports later on.
I said and stand by that I won't buy a Switch until there are some impressive games not available on Wii U. Like that new Super Mario 3D. I am not forced to buy a console just for ports, either.

Edited on by Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh

Peek-a-boo

@Octane I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, since the latter is almost double the amounts pixels of the former and offers a very high definition image.

1080p to 4K? From where I sit on my sofa away from the television (about ten feet)?

The difference is minimal compared to the jump from 720p to 1080p, given that a greater density of pixels is a lot more beneficial close up as opposed to when you are sitting further away.

This is why I really wish 1080p was the norm for console games; it looks perfectly fine, and with extra bells and whistles, the developers can improve both the IQ and performance.

I'm not fussed about 4K in the slightest!

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Therad Most definitely. I was just using resolution as an example. But indeed, we're at a point where resolution doesn't mean a lot anymore. For many the difference between 1080p and 4K on a regular sized TV is barely visible. Eventually that will also be true for framerates, and HDR will also be the norm.

Octane

MarcelRguez

Samurai_Goroh wrote:

Chances are they already have the Wii U

I think you're giving the Wii U way too much credit.

Nevertheless, I see what you mean. Still, it's worth taking into account the difference in sales numbers between the Wii U and 3DS iterations of those series. Mario Kart 8 has recently surpassed the 8 million mark, but Mario Kart 7 was already sitting at 13.03 million back in February.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

MumboJumbo

@Octane
Making the hardware smaller is not the only thing left to do, once they reach the ceiling for higher resolutions. They're not wasting their time and resources on making their box smaller to cater to a handheld audience that's fading into irrelevance. Sony and Microsoft will be pushing for new technologies that make the gaming experience more immersive. Whether it's the PlayStation VR or Hololens, they will find ways to shift new consoles in the future.

A hybrid console like the Switch is just one of many paths consoles can go from here. It's not the only path. That's just wishful thinking from a Nintendo perspective.

Edited on by MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I know it looks fine, but I don't mind the push for 4K (especially since HDR is also a thing that comes with new 4K TVs). Despite the fact that 4K offers four times as much pixels over 1080p, the difference won't be as impressive as the jump from 480p (or even 720p) to 1080p. However, a higher pixel density means finer details should appear clearer. This is especially true for fine details like hair.

@Whitewatermoose That's a long list of ports though. I'm not too interested in those. Nintendo consoles missed out on those games, too bad, but it's too late to port them now. I'm more interested in new games, the 2017 releases, and whether they will make their way onto the Switch or not.

Octane

Octane

@MumboJumbo Well, the argument was about traditional console gaming. It's not wishful thinking either, since I don't care about the portability. It's just that in the far future, the move to portability makes more sense than the push for a higher resolution or higher frame rates.

Octane

MsJubilee

Whitewatermoose wrote:

• If the rumor that Monster Hunter, is leaving for Sony PS4 exclusivity, then Nintendo should go to Sega and ask for a new or updated Phantasy Star online game for the worldwide release. Not just Japan.

Where you read this? I only found Cap saying they want to expand Monster Hunter beyond handhelds.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Samurai_Goroh

@MarcelRguez I was talking about the absolute core of Nintendo fans, and I don't think said core is much larger than the Wii U 13.5 millions userbase.
And the early adopters on any product tend to be that core. So I think Nintendo should not open the floodgates of ports on the first month of the Switch, rather they should release them at less critical months throughtout the year and better alleviate the common software droughts.
I liked very much what I saw of Breath of the Wild, but I'm just not buying a Switch for it. Now if a brand new Super Mario 3D Switch or a new game from Retro is available at the launch window, I'm a happy camper.

Also the Wii U launched with a ton of ports. Not 1st party as it is advocated here, but 3rd party games. It didn't do it any good and I would say that people in general buy new hardware for new and exciting software, not for the definitive edition of last years' hits.

Samurai_Goroh

IceClimbers

Samurai_Goroh wrote:

I was talking about the absolute core of Nintendo fans, and I don't think said core is much larger than the Wii U 13.5 millions userbase.

The 3DS is proof enough that the core Nintendo fanbase is larger than that. The Wii U install base is only a fraction of Nintendo's core fanbase.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Samurai_Goroh

@IceClimbers You are aware that 60 millions 3DS sold is not the same as 60 million 3DS owners? How many here have bought several models, for instance?

And again I'm talking about the CORE of Nintendo's consumers. Just because someone bought a 3DS does not mean they feel particularly attached to the Nintendo brand and are inclined to buy Nintendo in the future. This is true for all consoles and brands, there is a large fluctuating pool of consumers with no assigned loyalties or preferences towards a particular brand. The PS4 is selling what it sells because many jumped ship from the Xbox 360, for instance. Sony does not have 40 million of core loyal fans, either. The 3DS sold also to some people who jumped ship from the PSP.

I have no doubt that eventually I will buy a Switch. It is only a matter of when, and Nintendo needs people like me to be early adopters in order to drive momentum early and convince the majority sitting on the fence about it.

Edited on by Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh

IceClimbers

@Samurai_Goroh I'm well aware of that, but calling the Wii U's install base the "core" of Nintendo's consumers seems incredibly short-sighted when the 3DS has a much larger install base. The logical conclusion is that not all of Nintendo's core consumers bought a Wii U.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

It does mean that there are at most only 13 million people that are willing to buy every Nintendo device. I'd wager the actual number is far less than that though.

Octane

TuVictus

Yeah, I think the wii u really shows just how many Nintendo loyal are left. It's likely Very few wii u owners are people that don't usually buy Nintendo products

TuVictus

Azooooz

I, for once, wish Nintendo to keep some bloggers' mouths shut by paying them a hefty amount of money, so that we wouldn't hears some disturbing information from them.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic