Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 5,981 to 6,000 of 69,963

Octane

128GB SD or 500GB HDD? I thought it was more something like 128GB SD vs 1TB HDD. For the same price, you can get about 8 times as much HHD, that's the general rule I've been using. 500GB SD cards (or those 1TB) aren't even readily available yet. Just a quick Google search showed no results either. So I doubt that's even a reasonable option when the Switch launches.

Octane

Therad

Expecting 512GB or 1TB of flash storage is just wishful thinking. It will not happen. The price of the unit would be too much for most people. Didn't you see the thread about price we had here? People didn't want to pay more than 199 for the console, and now we are talking about 399 or 499 price tag at minimum...

Keep your expectations in check and you won't be disappointed.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Farmboy74

On Amazon standard 512GB SD cards retail between £200 - £355, 256GB cards £63 - £130

Micro SD 128GB cards £12 - £55, 200GB cards £70 - £80, 256GB cards £128 - £135

Cannot find a 1tb SD card at all

Farmboy74

skywake

@Octane
1TB HDDs cost about the same as 500GB HDDs because they're very close to the price floor for mechanical storage. The same thing exists for SD Cards but it's at a much lower cost because of how much simpler they are. But you're right, in general it's around 8x the $/GB for flash vs a HDD.

For higher capacity SD Cards not existing it's a bit of a different story. They could exist and there's nothing much stopping them from existing. Except demand. If you want to store that much stuff? Odds are you are recording video at a very high bitrate. You're probably also doing it professionally rather than just as a hobby. So higher end cameras that record at high bitrates? They often have space for SSDs so they can take advantage of speeds of ~500MB/s. SDXC is limited to ~90MB/s

Anways. I'm not expecting Nintendo to include much more than 32GB of storage in the box. Possibly 64GB. I think a lot of us will go out and buy SD cards for it that are ~128GB or so. For us as enthusiasts I think supporting a HDD in docked mode would be a good idea. And I think talk of 250GB-1TB of flash storage for the tablet is delusional. That's my 2c

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

erv

I’m buying a big flash card for it. I want to know if the read speeds are all they need to be before I do, though.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

skywake

@NinChocolate
I wouldn't read too much into that given that all of the game footage was put in post-production. He didn't actually play anything on it. Though to be fair, Just Dance is a thing so they probably will.

MarcelRguez

@IceClimbers Pokkén I agree with, but TMS? One would think Nintendo would port games that have done moderately well, not those that bombed. Mario Kart, Smash or even Pikmin and Xenoblade I could see, but I can't see Star Fox, Project Zero, TMS and the like leaving the Wii U.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

MarcelRguez

New report from Lets Play Videogames about the Joy-Cons. They seem to have IR pointers at the bottom, which would work similarly to the Wiimote. People from Ubisoft say that this is the way games with touch-screen functionalities will be playable on the TV.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

erv

If true, the sensor bar is here to stay a while longer. Isn't it possible to get rid of that by now...

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Therad

MarcelRguez wrote:

New report from Lets Play Videogames about the Joy-Cons. They seem to have IR pointers at the bottom, which would work similarly to the Wiimote. People from Ubisoft say that this is the way games with touch-screen functionalities will be playable on the TV.

Hmm... It seems more logical such functionality would be in the bottom of the left joy-con, so you could still use the face buttons. Or in the top of the right, but it would probably be hard to fit it there without having a finger in the way.

Edit: of course, if they have a button located on the "slide-side", which seems to be the case because of the way people are holding the joy-cons, then you would have your thumb on it. So it would be like the A-button from wiimotes.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

skywake

erv wrote:

If true, the sensor bar is here to stay a while longer. Isn't it possible to get rid of that by now...

Unfortunately not. To put it simply you can tell up and down using just gravity. And an accelerometer can detect that so your controller knows which way is up. But that's not enough because to know the rotation of something you also need to know which direction is forward. That's what the sensor bar does.

edit: btw the gyros don't tell you relative direction they just tell you how far you've rotated. You still need to know which way is up and which way is forward.

Edited on by skywake

6ch6ris6

CrazyOtto wrote:

Switch Trailer Reaction

Etika VS OBE1

http://youtubedoubler.com/jDAf

haha i watched several reaction videos and those are definetly the craziest! so funny to watch them parallel

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Luna_110

I hope they are flexible on options for expanding storage. I prefer a lower price and lower internal memories if it means I have the option of expanding the memory as I see fit.

Meaning, I don't want to pay for extra space I won't use, I want to be able to customize according to my needs.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Buizel

Although a little nitpicky, I must say I'd prefer any out-of-the-box storage to be completely internal rather than for them to supply a titchy SD card, which would just go to waste.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

DefHalan

I really don't like the idea of a external hard drive plugges into the dock. It would make it impossible to use the system without a TV. It would mean I have to upload certain games to be able to play them on the go, which means digital games lose a lot of their convince. I don't see a reason for Nintendo to push physical games (where you would be even more limited in what can be in your system) when they get a bigger cut on digital and their reward program only covers digital. I will have to wait and see what they announce later for storage options.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Laice

They could allow hdd on the doc for stuff like Musik and vidoes.

Laice

dtjive

Untitled

From neogaf- somebody suggested the sensor bar could be in the top part of the switch that pertrudes out of the dock. Would make tons of sense given that the need for an actual sensor bar is pretty stupid given you'd need to take it with you on the go too...

dtjive

Samurai_Goroh

It would be coherent with the GamePad's built-in sensor bar placement above the screen and next to the camera.

Samurai_Goroh

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic