Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 5,961 to 5,980 of 69,950

iKhan

SURubyFan wrote:

The Switch is probably the first Nintendo system that lacks a D-Pad.

The Color TV Game didn't have a D-Pad

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

ianl579

I have Xenoblade, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Super Mario 3D World, a ton of VC games, and a few others, and I don't have enough space on my 32gb Wii U. I desperately hope there is at least the option for more than 32; heck, 32gb is the base model for iPhones now!

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

iKhan

LegendOfPokemon wrote:

I have Xenoblade, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Super Mario 3D World, a ton of VC games, and a few others, and I don't have enough space on my 32gb Wii U. I desperately hope there is at least the option for more than 32; heck, 32gb is the base model for iPhones now!

I think what is most likely is a low amount of flash storage in the tablet, and a bit more in the dock.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Nicolai

@Monkey_Balls: I don't see any way hooking External Hard Drives to the dock will work. It would make the whole "take it and go" thing extremely inconvenient, maybe even impossible.

I don't think the dock has to have a large number of uses anyway. Even if it only turned off the screen, sent the signal to the screen, and charged the system's battery, it's still useful and convenient, and its arguably safer than leaving it on a shelf or the floor unprotected with cords dangling from it. I imagine the dock will be slightly heavy to make sure the system is well rooted to the shelf.

It'll probably have USB ports, but mostly for things like wired ethernet connections and rechargable/wired controllers.

EDIT: Just a thought: it can't be the Joy-con Controllers either, or else you wouldn't be able to remove them for two player on the go, either. Do external hard drives work remotely?

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Octane

Nicolai wrote:

Do external hard drives work remotely?

It's possible, they do exist. I've not heard anyone use them for gaming though. So the question is whether the signal is actually strong enough to send the data over to your system without any delay. It works for regular text files, pictures, films and stuff like that (data storage essentially), but I doubt it works well enough for gaming.

Octane

Faruko

i mean we have been getting 500gb sd cards since like 2013, this year 1tb debuted, 2tb coming next year.

so honestly, i CAN see the switch wanting only SD cards.

And they are not THAT expensive, sure more than a HDD...

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

TOUGHDUDE94

Mt idea for dock
ports(HDMIx1,USB 3.0x2,USB 2.0 x1,Ethernet portx1)

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

CrazyOtto

If the rumored line of Wii U ports to Switch is true, Nintendo Land and Game & Wario are the only two major first party games that couldn't be retooled for Switch, because they take more advantage of the Wii U's Game Pad as a controller instead of just an alternative screen more than any other Wii U game.

CrazyOtto

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

GrailUK

@CrazyOtto It would be nice if they reworked Star Fox Zero with no frills controls.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

IceClimbers

I think two Wii U games that are prime for a Switch port are Pokken Tournament and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

skywake

The people wondering how the dock could possibly provide more power if there's nothing in it. NVidia has this thing called GPU Boost. What happens is that if the GPU is running cool and has more power available to it? It'll dynamically overclock. In portable mode you obviously want to save battery life right? You probably also don't want the fan going nuts either. So that's how it'd work.

Monkey_Balls wrote:

Picture the scene: You've been playing BotW for many hours at home. You decide to go for a walk. You jump up and grab the system from the dock. As the TV goes blank you remember you've been running the game from an external HDD connected to the dock, and you've just lost your progress...

Two things they could do. For a start they make it so that digital games are always saved to the unit itself. Which would mean that undocking the unit mid-game would be kinda like ejecting the disk mid game. The other thing they could do is make storage management easy. Make it obvious in the UI which games are on external storage and which games are on an SD Card or internal storage. Then give people the option to either run the game from the HDD or do a Wii-style fridge cleaning.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

Faruko wrote:

i mean we have been getting 500gb sd cards since like 2013, this year 1tb debuted, 2tb coming next year.

so honestly, i CAN see the switch wanting only SD cards.

And they are not THAT expensive, sure more than a HDD...

Yea. My hunch is that this is exactly what is gonna happen. the tablet portion of the system (so the system itself) is going to come with a 500GB or 1TB SD card, meaning two price points at release.

I think this because it's the most simple solution to all of these storage discussions, really. It pretty much eliminates the question mark of external HDDs and how those would preclude taking the tablet with you, and it even avoids the possibility of the dock somehow uploading massive amounts of data to the tablet on the fly as you yank the thing out of it.

Could really affect the price, though. I can even see them going for something like 250GB as the base model, and 500GB as the "premium" price point.

rallydefault

skywake

@rallydefault
SD-Cards costs:
16GB - $7US
32GB - $10US
64GB - $20US
128GB - $40US
200GB - $80US

I can see them fairly easily sliding in at under $299US if they use 32GB. But 200GB or 500GB? They'd have to bump up the price. A 500GB version would push the price closer to $399 if not over. 1TB of flash is insanity. With that much flash most of the cost of the system would be storage.

Faruko

@skywake Thats not entirely accurate because you have to assume that nintendo would buy like 5m of each version so they could get them quite cheaper

skywake

@Faruko
If you'll notice I said that 500GB of flash would probably push the price up to $399US. Vs what I'd assume would be around $299US for a 32-64GB SKU. So do the maths.

500GB at retail? ~$160US
64GB at retail? ~$20US

$140US extra and I've rounded it down to $100US extra. I don't think that's at all a stretch. And anyways @rallydefault was talking about a 1TB SKU with 1TB of flash. I don't think I'm at all wrong to think that such a large amount of flash would raise the price to an unreasonable level.

And note that I'm talking here about retail prices for SD-Cards which tend to use lower quality flash. Flash that at retail is ~30c/GB. You can get faster flash that at retail is closer to $1/GB. There was a rumour floating around that the flash in the Switch would have a read speed of ~400MB/s. If true that pushes it a bit closer to the more expensive stuff.

So yeah, $100US extra if they were to go with 500GB+ rather than ~32GB or so? I think I'm being fairly conservative here. In reality it'd probably push the price up a bit more than that. And given those cost limitations of flash? I think having an option for a HDD in the base when docked would be a good move.

Edited on by skywake

cwong15

Flash storage doesn't have to come in one big chunk. If each major title game cartridge came with just a little flash memory (say, 8 or 16GB) for game updates and save data, you could spread the cost of storage memory across a lot of individual $60 cartridges. That does not address digital-only games, of course, but physical media purists might be happy.

Speaking of physical media, I'm disappointed that the Switch only holds 1 cartridge. This means you'd be swapping cartridges all the time, especially if you're sharing the console with others. That's excusable for a true handheld like the 3DS, but something aimed at the home market should be more convenient. Maybe the dock could have extra cartridge slots?

cwong15

Nicolai

If it's all done with SD cards, I don't find it too outlandish for Nintendo to just go with something like 32GB storage when the consumer can then easily buy whichever size SD card they want.

When it comes to internal storage, it was only a hassle with the Wii U because you had to buy a range of external hard drives from 3rd party developers with no guarantee of compatability (I mean, Nintendo had a list on their website, but even then some consumers reported problems), none of which have a cheaper option below 500GB if I recall correctly. They're bulky and either takes up another outlet or runs through the Wii U power (which isn't recommended). And it was frusterating that I had to buy it even though I bought physical copies of every game that had physical copies. I actually ended up buying an external hard drive that wasn't compatible with the Wii U at first, which was a huge waste of money.

SD cards, however, are a snap. They fit right in the console and you can get whatever size you want. Nintendo might as well low-ball the in-box storage and let consumers figure it out for themselves, and aim for that low price point.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Faruko

flash storage tends to be extremely expensive on smartphones because they use a MUCH FASTER storage, mostly because phones needs a lot of writing and reading, while gaming should, in theory, use mostly reading which is the cheapest one

I dont think it needs more than 128gb honestly, as long as nintendo makes it clear that you WILL need more than that.

128gb might sound low, but considering how cheap are sd cards nowadays, i can see it being good decision to keep the "theorical" price of the console lower, just like the ps4 and xb1 makes it like "oh cool, it costs $299 !!! but you need an extra $60 yearly on ps+ or xblive", sure its not "mandatory" but you will probably pay it anyway or you have to because otherwise you arent taking advantage of all the features of your console

skywake

Lets just say they include 32GB of storage in the box. Enough for a bunch of indie/VC titles and maybe one big retail release. They then give you options to expand the storage via an SD card on the unit itself or a HDD in the dock. For about the price of a game? You can either get a 128GB SD card or a 500GB HDD. Which option do you get? Remembering that some people will mostly play this while docked and be ok with just having their main games available on the go. Others will want their entire library of games with them at all times.

Edited on by skywake

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic