Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 5,921 to 5,940 of 69,964

Farmboy74

I don't think you will see another Nintendo portable in the sense of a new 3DS. Iwata in the past spoke about a unified OS across multiple devices. I think they're going to try and copy Apples idevice approach if the Switch proves succesful.

The PS4 Pro to me is not worth upgrading to from my launch PS4, I would need to change my perfectly working HD TV, just for a more shiner picture

Farmboy74

skywake

@BLPs
They should call it the Lite Switch and have it in a variety of colours. And the higher end version would be for like the hardcore gamer. Call it the Switch Blade. Put all the Nintendo fans on a terrorist watch list.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haruki_NLI

@skywake It would be nice but I think Nintendo is stepping back from being the weird of the past.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Nicolai

Just in case anyone was confused:

Untitled

Good job, Nintendo! You just eliminated a major problem with the Wii U's marketing for your new console!

Untitled

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Samurai_Goroh

@erv I think you just missed the target. They won't launch console upgrades later on, they will do dock upgrades. They just have to make sure they leave a data port on the Switch tablet and the thing is future proof. I'm thinking stuff like N64 Expansion Pack on a Switch dock.

Edited on by Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh

Nintensity

So the NX/Switch turned out to be a hybrid after all. I don't think they will release upgrades with the dock but release future versions of the Switch that will be both forward and backward compatible if it turns out to be a huge success.

Nintensity

Octane

@Samurai_Goroh Doing the opposite would make more sense. Especially as I don't think the dock houses its own CPU or GPU. Updating just your tablet? That means you don't have to buy new controllers, a new dock or anything like that.

Octane

Laice

Octane wrote:

@Samurai_Goroh Doing the opposite would make more sense. Especially as I don't think the dock houses its own CPU or GPU. Updating just your tablet? That means you don't have to buy new controllers, a new dock or anything like that.

In theorie they could put some HW upgrades in the joycons, if they have some sort of physical conection to the console.

Laice

Octane

@Laice They don't, at least not in the way you're thinking. And I don't see how that's even useful (or possible for that matter). Assuming there was such a connection, then you'd have to leave the Joy-Cons attached at all times.

Octane

Laice

Octane wrote:

@Laice They don't, at least not in the way you're thinking. And I don't see how that's even useful (or possible for that matter). Assuming there was such a connection, then you'd have to leave the Joy-Cons attached at all times.

Ah right.

Laice

Therad

Octane wrote:

Farmboy74 wrote:

what do you think the chances are of a Nintendo Switch mobile phone?

Untitled

Your production seems a bit high.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Nintensity

Octane wrote:

Yes, updating just the tablet makes the most sense to me too and it wouldn't split up the userbase if the games are both forward and backward compatible.

Nintensity

Octane

@Nintensity I don't see them changing architecture anytime soon if they're keeping this handheld-home console concept; BC would be a lot easier to do going forward, compared to BC with the 3DS for example.

Octane

Nintensity

@Octane Yeah, I don't see them changing it early either, but just an approach they could have if it turns out to be a success and they want to release an updated tablet like around 4 years later.

Nintensity

Octane

@Nintensity Well, if they want to release a new iteration of the Switch (like the PS4 Pro), they would have to keep the architecture the same. That's the reason why systems with the same architecture can be backwards compatible. The GameCube through Wii U all ran on the same architecture (the Wii U can run GameCube games natively actually, it just lacks the hardware to read the tiny discs).

Octane

Nintensity

@Octane Yeah, that would be expected. They would have an updated version of the Tegra SoC.

Nintensity

Moshugan

@Farmboy74 @TheLZdragon @BLPs @Farmboy74 @skywake
I could totes see Nintendo doing more devices in the same family as times go on.
A solely personal portable Lite Switch could be viable when tech advances even further and they can cram almost the same power to an even smaller form factor.
Then they could do dock upgrades (i.e. the Supplemental Computing Device thing - yes, I'm still a believer) along the line.

It's gonna be hard to make every game work on every device though, so there might be minimum spec requirements in the future (just like some N64 games require the Expansion Pak and some games only work on the New 3DS) and that could create confusion.

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

Moshugan

@Nicolai Are you being serious or sarcastic?
I think the "home console first and foremost" and "Portable Home Gaming System" speak could be somewhat confusing to many.

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

Haruki_NLI

@Moshugan i could see it happening few years down the line because it lends itself to that business model of every few yearly upgrades.

It would make the 20 year remake down the line of Prime nice and simple XD

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Nicolai

@Moshugan: My point was that Nintendo just advertised the Switch on their website as a brand new console instead of a peripheral to its existing console. Something everyone agrees Nintendo failed to do with the Wii U.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic