Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 5,901 to 5,920 of 69,951

Faruko

I still think everyone should keep their expectations in check for battery life

Tegra is kinda a power hungry SoC (X1 was only used on "semi-console", bc afaik the K1 was the mobile used on the shield) and most tables ran out of juice in about 3-4 houra when playing games with very high graphic levels, im not sure you should expect that much more, if at all...

Edited on by Faruko

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

Nicolai

If it was minimum 3 hours, but can be extended depending on the game and the screen brightness, that's actually ideal. My fear is a maximum of 3 hours. [shudders]

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Dreamliner

I wonder how many games will be on both Wii-U and Switch.

I know Zelda, but any others?

Also curious if Zelda will look better on the Switch, should I get the Switch version instead?

Ugh.

Dreamliner

skywake

@Faruko
I'm pretty sure the shield console wasn't made as a console because of a higher power consumption chip. If anything the SoC used in the shield console was more power efficient. Them going with different chips in the different form factors? It's purely a matter of timing. For NVidia this was more a proof of concept kind with them using their chips in different designs and putting them out there. In the hopes that a big company would buy into their product. And it worked.

In terms of power consumption? From what I can tell all their Tegra chips have been rated at <10W. Which is still quite a bit for a portable console. When you add the screen and so on this thing will probably be about in-line with the Wii power consumption wise. If we assume it has a more regular 4000-5000mAh capacity tablet battery rather than the 1300-1750mAh battery in the 3DS? 3 hours under load would be about right. But you'll get much more than that for indie games, netflix and so on.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

I posted this yesterday, views for video across Nintendo, Playstation and XBox official channels. Here's an updated list for today:

1. PS4 Trailer - 32.8 mill views
2. Gears of War 4 trailer - 17 mill views
3. Nintendo Switch trailer - 16 mill views
4. PS4 "used game" video - 15.9 mill views
5. Powers trailer - 15.1 mill views
6. FFVII trailer - 14.2 mill views
7. PS4 trailer - 13.7 mill views
8. God of War trailer - 13 mill views
9. XBox One S trailer - 10.9 mill views
10. Uncharted 4 trailer - 10.4 mill views
[...]
15. Zelda: BotW trailer - 9.4 mill views

Action51

@SLIGEACH_EIRE

It's amazing how you automatically line up with every concern troll talking point in short order.

You working off a script?

Action51

Moshugan

@skywake Not a bad amounts of views considering it's only been few days! @Bluefiregamer Views don't mean sales but they increase the likeliness.

@IceClimbers Yeah! Can't wait to play Overcooked on this mother! (Although is that even a proper indie..?)

3-hour battery sounds disappointing but it could be okay if it indeed is the minimum under _heavy load

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

Octane

skywake wrote:

A rumour/observation/theory on how the unit connects to the dock:
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/report-how-nintendo-ens...

Untitled

My theory about this? I think the blue connectors illustrated here are guides for the docking mechanism. I think the green port is a proprietary docking connector for HDMI and all the other bits of I/O. And the red port? I'm going to be boring and say that's micro-USB. It could also be some sort of proprietary charge connector like the 3DS has.

I hope it's a proprietary charge connector then. The Wii U charger feels pretty sturdy, but I'm not a big fan of the micro-USB on the DS4. It feel so flimsy, and the micro-USB connectors on my phone tends to break after a good two years of use. Considering you have to rely on the guidelines to slot the unit into the dock, I think that a more sturdier connector wouldn't hurt, and I don't think it would matter either.

Octane

erv

I just had a brainfart: this console seems very friendly to incremental hardware upgrades.

If switch turns out to be a relevant successful platform, watch the hardware upgrades come in annually and this old one being phased out in a game compatibility shutdown of about three or four years.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Octane

@erv Buying a new console every three years? No thank you.

Octane

skywake

@erv
I can definitely see that happening. Especially when they eventually want to retire the 3DS line. Maybe a couple of years down the road when NVidia has a newer more power efficient chip. Drop the size of the thing and release a more portable focused SKU. Do that instead of having a 3DS successor

@Octane
TBH anything would be fine as long as the other end of the cable is USB-A. But in isolation...
type C > mini-USB > proprietary connector > micro-USB

GrailUK

So, NVidia chips will enable us to play racing games in the back seat, while they drive the car itself.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

shaneoh

Octane wrote:

@erv Buying a new console every three years? No thank you.

Yeah I only upgrade my phone if there is something wrong with it. Even when I had cash to spend, I wasn't interested in updating yearly, there's no point. Why people fall for this sort of thing is beyond me.

I'm interested in knowing how they're going to work DS VC on the Switch if it doesn't have a touch screen.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Farmboy74

Now Nintendo are releasing mobile apps, what do you think the chances are of a Nintendo Switch mobile phone?

To be honest I think incremental upgrade of consoles are here to stay, we've had it with the Gameboy, DS, 3DS and now XB1 and PS4. It's a direction I think everyone is moving towards.

Farmboy74

Octane

Farmboy74 wrote:

what do you think the chances are of a Nintendo Switch mobile phone?

Untitled

Octane

Haruki_NLI

I think the Switch is a hit of a sign.

While people are happy with Slim upgrades, or XLs as they always have, the response to PS4Pro has been..meh at best? Like its not needed.

My point is that with the 9th geberation of systems, as a broad sense due to generations not beingbdefined, the focus cant really be on more powerful hardware. Its not as impressive anymore. The first console has offered something new and different while being traditional in many ways, while the arms race is seemingly doing damage to other systems and their cycles.

I just think its neat that innovation in such a simple way is neat. Plus Nintendo held back and learned from the mistakes of Sony and that remote play stuff.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

skywake

@BLPs
But here's the question. When Nintendo do inevitably release their new portable system what should it be? Would it even make sense for them to release a new portable system? Would it make more sense just to release a different SKU for the Switch?

I personally would not have an issue if down the track they only have the Switch. No new console generations, no new portable lines. Just different versions of the Switch. Maybe in a couple of years time a 4" Switch without the detachable controllers and with a more power efficient SoC. Then a Switch 10" that has a more powerful SoC and a 1080p portable display. Or a Switch micro-console designed to be as cheap as possible.

I wouldn't have an issue with that sort of setup. It makes a LOT more sense than their current model of having two entirely incompatible product tiers.

LzWinky

I'd guess it would be a mini switch tbh. I don't really see the point of a separate handheld.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Haruki_NLI

@TheLZdragon The Switch Light! Or would that be confusing....

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic