Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 5,781 to 5,800 of 69,962

DefHalan

@Operative I agree

@Octane Probably because the Switch version of Skyrim (if it does get Skyrim) won't be a straight port of the remaster. It will probably be lower resolution and possibly lower framerate. Not sure how different the content will be too. We will have to wait for their confirmation before we know if Switch is getting Skyrim Remastered, a special version of Skyrim, or something else.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Nicolai

@Octane: ... ...

Fair point . Do adapters like that work well?

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Octane

@Nicolai Never used them myself, but I don't see why not. Depends on the quality I guess? At least there are alternatives, cause I don't think Nintendo will throw a VA cable in the box.

Octane

Nicolai

@Octane: I don't think the Wii U did either, it just had the port for the Wii cables. But, as long as there is a solution. It would be extra nice if Nintendo made something that looks a little less flimsy than your picture.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Faruko

Im pretty sure the Switch version will be 1080p/30fps just like the PS4 and XB1 version, the Switch SHOULD be around the XB1 in terms of performance, and Skyrim isnt exactly the most demanding game

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

DefHalan

@Faruko We have no idea how powerful the Switch is. The original version of Skyrim isn't too demanding for today's standard's but the remastered version will take more power. Switch might just get the original version with all the DLC.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Faruko

Im assuming power near the GTX 950-960 honestly, which should run Fallout 4 at 1080p/30fps without problems, in theory... althou it depends on the heating issue of being portable too

And i assume that Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE will be pretty comparable considering their system requiriments are pretty much on par

Edited on by Faruko

Peek-a-boo

@Faruko Maybe the original Skyrim, but the new Skyrim remaster will all the extra bells and whistles?

Are you aware that the Nintendo Switch is reputedly a third of the power of an Xbox One?

I just hope you are keeping your expectations in check, is all!

Peek-a-boo

IceClimbers

For the record, Kimishima said that they wouldn't talk games or specs until 2017. That's it. Everything else wasn't ruled out.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Faruko

@Peek-a-boo Im just assuming is using Tegra X2 which is about 2x more powerful than the original Tegra X1, after all is only natural to use the newest tech because higher power efficiency... Supposedly Tegra X2 is around Xbox One power, i can see the original tegra X1 being 1/3 of an XB1 (its morepowerful than a 360/WiiU/PS3)

Otherwise, i dont really care about power, as long as it runs games well and have good games im done with it, my PC already run games much better than the current gen and probably the Ps4Pro does

Edited on by Faruko

Peek-a-boo

@Faruko I most certainly hope that Nintendo have decided to go with the Tegra X2 chips, but it could be the X1 for other reasons (a better deal for a bigger batch, or the X1 being a mature and proven chip).

I just don't personally see how the Nintendo Switch will run the likes of Fallout 4 and Skyrim Remastered without both games being scaled back, perhaps significantly so.

We'll see!

Peek-a-boo

Faruko

@Peek-a-boo The thing that makes me believe is the Tegra X2 is...

Where the hell is the Tegra X2 chip ? We have heard about it for far too long, yet we havent seen a single product even announced to use it, and im pretty sure Nvidia would want that, or even their own Shield 2... yet nothing

So i think, maybe Nintendo realized this and asked Nvidia for the full production to fit the demand. Apple did this with the Polaris mobile chip for their macbook pro, there are already 1060 laptops, yet none with a Rx 470/480,which leads to believe that Apple wanted the entire waffle of chips for them to use on their newest MacBook pro

It is probably a custom tegra chip, no doubt, maybe downclocked a little bit for higher energy efficiency, but still.

Edited on by Faruko

Grumblevolcano

Looks like there's a rumour that Switch is the Wii U replacement with a 3DS replacement coming much later.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Nicolai

I guess I haven't yet given my opinion on how successful I think this will be, so even though it may be a little early to tell, here are my thoughts:

I think this thing is such a great idea. Although it may depend on what kind of drawbacks it has, I confidently predict that its going to be hugely popular, especially with the causal market. I know its currently marketed towards a more serious crowd based on the trailer, but this is probably the first time a game console has properly competed with phones and tablets by being both on-the-go and multiplayer through a single device, while being hardware-heavy. It may actually be a serious contender to smartphone/tablet games by capturing one of the main appeals of those devices.

That's not to say it will completely overrun that market, cuz smartphone and tablet games have the appeal of simply being on something you already own. But I'm sure there's a big desire for a relatively powerful Nintendo device with the same convenience as your tablet. Convenience is a big factor in today's world.

It may be possible that there's a good chunk of casual gamers my age out there that played Nintendo games as a kid, and may be willing to take the plunge with a convenient device that's a little more hardcore than their phone or tablet. Especially when they see how much more adult and professional the device looks.

But boy, I just really hope the battery is at least a little better than what the rumors are saying. That might be the one thing that kills it with casual gamers, in my opinion.

Got married.

Moshugan

About the Switch competing with tablets...
Watch smart device companies try to popularize detachacle controllers for their tablets pretty soon.
Of course they won't have the IPs or hardware that is optimal for power+affordability like Nintendo has with NS.

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

IceClimbers

Keep in mind that the rumored battery life is for the dev kit. That's not necessarily representative of the retail product. I'd expect 3-5 hours though depending on the game. Battery technology just hasn't advanced very quickly, and can't keep up with processors.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

kobashi100

Anyone notice SuperMetalDave64 and HappyNintendoFan have gone totally silent. Lol

kobashi100

nintykid

@skywake Are there any estimates of the physical dimensions of the tablet? Because when I first watched the video it looked to me like the same size as the gamepad... And if it is really that big I'm not sure it will be able to replace a handheld. I mean, compare a regular 3DS with the tablet+joy-con

nintykid

Octane

@nintykid The screen is the same size as the Wii U GamePad; however, the GamePad is quite bulky and is more plastic than screen. So it's a little bigger than a 3DSXL, but smaller than the Wii U GamePad. With the Joy-Cons attached, the width is almost the same as the Wii U GamePad.

Octane

WebHead

@kobashi100 well david apologized on twitter but yeah clearly he isnt taking being wrong too well.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic