Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 49,701 to 49,720 of 69,983

JoeDiddley

I upgraded to a new 3DS last year. For 2 years I’d focused on Switch whilst my 3DS was collecting dust. But I’ve probably played as many 3DS games as Switch ones ever since.

With a quiet Switch year I still need to get to Dragon Quest 8, Fire Emblem SOV etc. I’m currently playing Soul Hackers.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Maaryotyme

Still using my 3ds xl from 2012. Still works as new. Love the thing

Maaryotyme

Ralizah

Good god, I've owned...

An original 3DS (sold it once the XL came out, as I hated how the bottom border scratched the 3D screen)
A 3DS XL (shoulder buttons gummed up, so I sold it once New 3DS XL came out)
New 3DS XL no. 1 (randomly died on me; lost an entire generation worth of activity log data)
New 3DS XL no. 2 (what I'm currently on: so far, so good)

I love the thing, but the quality control must be awful.

Meanwhile, my Vita from 2013 still works like it's new, lol.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I've owned a grand total of 14 different 3DS over the years. None of them ever had any issues (except smaller New 3DS scratching screen from lid closing).

• 3DS (turquoise)
  • 3DS (Fire Emblem Awakening)
  • 3DS XL (Link Between Worlds)
  • 3DS XL (Mario Dream Team)
  • New 3DS (white- hacked- current pocket system)
  • New 3DS (white- hacked- repackaged as spare)
  • New 3DS (black)
  • New 3DS XL (black- current system w/official purchases)
  • New 3DS XL (MH4U)
  • New 3DS XL (MHGen)
  • New 3DS XL (Fire Emblem Fates)
  • New 3DS XL (Zelda- hacked- main current system)
  • New 3DS XL (Majora's Mask)
  • New 3DS XL (Metroid Samus Returns)

Had so many I literally started giving them away. But they all still work. At least, the ones I still have, anyways. I also have two brand new 3DS- a white New 3DS that uses faceplates, hacked and put back in its box, and a black New 3DS still sealed, as backup. $99 fire sale in Christmas 2016. Figured why not.

My issue was never them breaking, but rather, the horrid TN screens they started using. I just cant use the ones with those screens they're so bad. Thankfully most of my newer ones that have TN are collector editions on display.

It's so hard going back to play 3DS now though. I never let graphics bother me during its lifespan, not once, but after Switch released and I got used to HD handheld gaming... going back is a yikes. It's not just the graphics, it's also the super slow OS and, well, no docking to TV. But the graphics and slow OS are a huge turnoff now. Really should get back to Metroid though. I did at least beat Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. And, being hacked it has ALL the SNES and GBA Games. Every Fire Emblem ever released is on my 3DS in English, aside from the 3 console entries. That's dope.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

HobbitGamer

@JaxonH Great point about the OS on those things. That's what cracks me up about folks wanting a bunch of bloat on Switch UI, it's like they forgot what it's like to suspend or quit 3DS software and wait upwards of 20 seconds to do anything.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Ralizah

@JaxonH I'm sure some of it's luck. Like how my Xbox 360 never red-ringed, or how it took years before I started to notice a tiny bit of drift on my joycons, whereas other people talk about going through ridiculous numbers of Xboxes and joycons because problems manifested so commonly. With that said, I've known a number of people with the screen-scratching issue on the original model. It was an acknowledged flaw of the design.

Anyway, I still own and play on older consoles, so the "I can't go back to worse graphics" logic never made sense to me. 3DS games usually look pretty good on the console, and, honestly, the stereoscopic 3D has a charm to it that no other console has ever been able to match. Games like Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy and A Link Between Worlds were sometimes eye-popping when you had that slider cranked up all the way.

I'll agree the older 3DS is pretty slow, but, even if it's not instantaneous like it was on the Switch, I thought the New 3DS was a decent bit snappier in terms of how it responded. I'd happily opt for the Switch taking a second longer to load stuff if it meant we could get folders and theme support.

I've never noticed what sort of screens my 3DS systems were using, honestly. Some people really got into that tn vs ips thing, but I've never been dissatisfied with how my games looked.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/product...

Just a heads-up on the Switch physical of Carrion on LRG's site: apparently, if you order it, you get a free digital version of the game.

"This special Limited Run exclusive variant features all-new cover-art that is different from the cover that's available through Special Reserve's own site. Included is a 40-page instruction booklet inside the shrink-wrapped game packaging. As a thank you, customers will receive a complimentary download code for CARRION on the Nintendo USA eShop. Codes will be sent via email within 24-48 hours of your purchase."

Seems unusually generous.

Tangerine

Anyone know the best protocol for preserving my switch lite battery? Specifically if I'm sat next to my charger?

Is it best to leave it plugged in all the time? At the moment I'm only charging it when the battery is low and then disconnecting the charger once its at 100%

Thanks!

Tangerine

BruceCM

Well, it shouldn't make any difference, since the original Switch could be in it's dock most of the time, so plugged in ..... I still only plug my Lite in when it's low & unplug it when it's charged, though

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

JaxonH

@Ralizah
The screen scratching I'm all too aware of- and it still happened even on the New 3DS faceplates model. That's why I bought spares cause mine was already starting to scratch.

But the TN screens... my goodness. I'm not a videophile, but these stick out like a sore thumb. You can't even look at the screen without cheap black and white shimmer lines showing up. Its absolute awful. I've never seen such a bad screen, in fact I didnt even know it was possible to make a screen look that bad. You open your 3DS and instantly its like, wait, what's going on with the screen? Why isnt it clear? Why do I see shimmer lines all over it and they move with the slightest tilt of angle even with 3D off? Compare to my Zelda New 3DS XL or black New 3DS XL or any of the older ones, and the screen looks normal. It's even worse than people made it out to be, I think. I thought people were just nitpicking quality but no, its absolutely horrendous. Unbelievable how bad it looks.

I'm not sure I'd give up snappy OS for folders or themes. Especially themes since Switch is designed in such a way you cant really see anything in the background anyways. Folders would be nice but I dont think that would slow down the OS. If anything it should make it faster because it doesnt have to load as many icons at once.

Btw, I just loaded up my New 3DS XL, and... maybe my memory wasnt serving my opinions justice. Radiant Historia looks great. Metroid looks pretty slick too. When I think back to 3DS, I typically think of Monster Hunter because, well, I spent 1000+ hrs playing that series on the handheld. And it was such a drastic improvement on Switch by comparison, that whenever I think back to the 3DS, I think of how much worse that series looked by comparison. Which, dont get me wrong, it looked fantastic for the hardware. And I had more fun with those games on 3DS than just about any other game in history. But it's such a huge leap forward on Switch. Not even MH World gives as much of a feeling of a huge leap forward as going from MH4U and MHGen on 3DS to MHGenUlt on Switch. Especially handheld. Just having a right analog and proper button set makes such a difference.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Playing Hyperdimension Neptunia VII on Switch. One of my earliest PS4 games from years ago.

I like how you’re in the land of “Gamindustri” and there’s characters representing the consoles of the 7th gen era. “

Neptune (aka Purple Heart, goddess of Planeptune) = canceled Sega Neptune
Nepgear (aka Purple Sister) = GameGear

Noire (aka Black Heart, goddess of Lastation) = PS3
Uni (aka Black Sister) = PSP

Blanc (aka White Heart, goddess of Lowee) = Wii
Ram and Rom (aka White Sisters) = DS (dual screen = two of them?)

Vert (aka Green Heart, goddess of Leanbox) = 360

It’s just really unique.

edit

Trails of Cold Steel III on sale at Amazon for $41.99
Trails of Cold Steel III Switch

XCOM 2 on sale at Amazon for $34.99
XCOM 2 Switch

Bioshock Trilogy on sale at Amazon for $34.99
Bioshock Collection Switch

Borderlands Legendary Collection on sale at Amazon for $34.99
Borderlands Legendary Collection Switch

Edited on by JaxonH

Ralizah

@JaxonH The screen-scratching only ever happened to me with the original model, which had an unusually tall border around the bottom screen. Bad design. In retrospect, I think the original's design is too boxy, as well. Comparing the shape of my New 3DS XL vs my original 3DS, it feels like the contrast between the original NES controllers and the revised "dog-bone" models.

Not really sure how I'd confirm my screen type without hacking/homebrew (which I'm NOT touching on 3DS), but I did look at my top screen from an extreme angle, and the colors still seemed pretty vivid, so I think my top screen is probably IPS.

And yeah, 3DS games tend to look great on 3DS, although they look horrendous in screenshots. A lot of games are particularly gorgeous in 3D. No other console will ever match the unique experience of playing games with stereoscopic 3D enabled, which is one big reason the 3DS will likely remain my all-time favorite gaming device (the wealth of SMT games doesn't hurt, either).

RE: MHGen vs. Gen Ultimate, I didn't really get a wow factor from it. Kind of the opposite, actually. Granted, I only spent time with the demo version on Switch, but... I dunno. I'm excited to eventually play a Switch MH game, but I don't think Gen Ultimate will be that game for me. A big part of that is that I felt both visually and gameplay-wise, Generations was a downgrade from 4 Ultimate anyway.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
My first MH was MH3U on Wii U and 3DS. The difference was stark. Having to only play MH4U and MH Gen on 3DS felt so restrictive by comparison. All fans wanted was to go back to the amazing experience they had on Wii U. And MHGenUlt was precisely that. Trust me, after playing those games on 3DS for 1000 hrs, and then play on Switch (or even Wii U) you become acutely aware of what you've been missing. Even just having a right analog makes SUCH a difference.

The gameplay in MH Gen Ultimate is definitely superior to MH4U. The story isnt as much of a focus but, that's not really what people care about anyways (and even MH4U was still very light on story). MHGenUlt had all the same gameplay except with additions and improvements. Way more gathering quests early game but more free DLC item packs than any game in the series making the early game a breeze.

Improvements include cut tails showing on the map, disabling traps, styles and arts which added an amazing layer of depth, transmog armor (one set for skills, another for fashion over it), actually playing as a Palico (the 15th weapon type some say, and the only game to ever let you play as a Palico- some people do entire playthroughs as a Palico), holding A to continuously carve or gather, speed crafting, sending items back mid hunt, new Palico types like Beast type, no longer waiting 2 min to turn in a Paw Pass ticket for harvest tours, buying supply drops (huge change not even present in World), attacks while someone has mounted a monster contributes rather than knocks them off, teaching Palicos support moves from one to another similar to inheriting skills with Persona/SMT fusion, cutting/blunt kinsect typed can be swapped, field pouch added, turning in account items at any time, saving item sets, equipment sets, palico armor set, etc.

These changes/additions may sound minor, but they had seismic impact on QoL- people always talk about the QoL changes World had, but MHGenUlt had arguably just as many impactful changes, albeit without the graphical overhaul (but while retaining the superior skill system, charm/decoration system and endgame structure which World regrettably changed in the name of appealing to a wider audience), And that's not even accounting for the massive roster- still most monsters of any game to date, and the most area maps- it really was a celebration of the series.

Theres more but those are some notable ones. Gameplay wise Gen Ult is so much better than MH4U. Graphics are also the same, too. Only difference really is the monster intros which, are definitely better in MH4U. But aside from that they're the same, and MHGenUlt looks SO good on Switch compared to past handheld MH games. Nice crisp 720p handheld compared to 240p feels like heaven.

I still contend MH Gen Ult on Switch is not only the best handheld MH game ever made (by far) it was actually better than MH World up until the Iceborn expansion released.

Ooh, I bet that leather hide would make for a nice belt
Untitled

2 hours later...
Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

gcunit

Anyone with any sense puts a screen protector on their Switch screen. I apply the same mantra to the 3DS. Is it dumb of Nintendo to manufacture something that self-inflicts screen damage? Yes. Is it dumb of 3DS owners not to use screen protectors? Kinda, yeah.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Grumblevolcano

I used a screen protector for 3DS, Wii U and Switch. Switch was when I upgraded to tempered glass.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

rallydefault

Yea I just slapped a regular screen protector on my 3DS, but my Switch I went for the tempered glass. It's chipped to heck around the edges, but holy cow it's done its job.

rallydefault

JaxonH

@gcunit
That's not fair. I use switch screen protector but it's a capacitive screen.

3DS, for one, should never need a screen protector because its clamshell. A device shouldn't damage itself. Nobody stops ans thinks, I need a screen protector for a screen that's already protected.

For two, the top is 3D and the bottom is a pressure based screen. Makes it even harder to use. I'll never use a screen protector on the 3DS screens. Especially since none of them have ever gotten damaged aside from my New 3DS, and that was self inflicted by the system. Not like I could foresee that happening.

Edited on by JaxonH

Eel

It must be nice living in an environment where dust can't get on your screen and be caught between it and the stylus, leaving deep cuts with every swipe.

Anyway, I always have a screen protector in my DS-type systems. It has never impacted the use or feel of the touch screen.

About the top screen scratching on the older models, thankfully my brother did have a bad Xbox 360, so I could do that "life hack" and use the rubber feet from that as screen stoppers on my 3DS, and that such a genius solution. It was like they were made for it.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

sksk12

Just got sent "apparent" cut content from the recent nintendo direct mini... Naruto in Fighters pass 2 and a super mario lego interactive game? can someone confirm???????
edit: spellcheck

Edited on by sksk12

whudup

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic