Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 49,661 to 49,680 of 69,981

redd214

@WoomyNNYes we slready have an snes classic so while yeah I prefer playing those games on Switch I already have a way to play the best ones. The NES games for the most part just aren't good imo. The marios/Zelda were a fun shot of nostalgia, but most of them have aged very very poorly. Thing I miss the most is Tetris 99 if I'm honest lol!

redd214

link3710

@redd214 Yeah, hinging NSO on titles they literally just released in bulk a few years earlier has certainly not been their best move. Literally any console that's not SNES or NES would be an improvement. At least SNES has a handful varied series among its timeless classics (DKC, Super Metroid, ALttP, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and Kirby Super Star) compared to NES, but still...

...doesn't help that DKC 2/3, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG and Tetris Attack are still missing among first(ish) party titles though. I have no idea what they're waiting for with the first 3.

EDIT: Dang I just remembered we were promised more Mother/Earthbound news by the end of the year, gotta wonder if that's why Earthbound is missing...

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Grumblevolcano

I really hope Xbox Live goes free and forces Nintendo to improve NSO. Currently Nintendo's angle is that quality is fine because it's the cheapest but if Xbox Live goes free that angle would no longer be accurate.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BruceCM

That seems unlikely, though.... If it does, they'll stop the games with gold and so on?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

redd214

@Grumblevolcano I bought a year of plus last week for 30 bucks. If you're resourceful even that angle doesn't hold up now lol!

@link3710 yeah the drip feed is a shocker. I honestly expected 3 or 4 new ones every couple of months ths at least.

redd214

WoomyNNYes

redd214 wrote:

@WoomyNNYes we slready have an snes classic so while yeah I prefer playing those games on Switch I already have a way to play the best ones. The NES games for the most part just aren't good imo. The marios/Zelda were a fun shot of nostalgia, but most of them have aged very very poorly. Thing I miss the most is Tetris 99 if I'm honest lol!

I agree, and I know that's why you guys didn't mention NSO's NES & SNES when discussing reasons to resubscribe to NSO. NSO offering and lack of VC has been a weak deal. Forgive me if my joking fell flat I was poking fun, and playing dumb.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

JaxonH

Don’t care about game rentals. Never cared on other platforms and don’t care on Switch (although, I will say I care about having Super Metroid, Zelda Link to the Past, Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country on Switch, which is more than I can say for games on any other service, since I always owned the ones I wanted anyways).

All that matters to me is having online access and getting cloud saves. That’s it. Worth it for that. Could always be better, but Nintendo online is the only one I subscribe to nowadays. If I’m gonna pay for online and cloud saves, better to get it for $20 than $60. At least at $20 it feels like a drop in the bucket. Set it on auto-renew and forget about it. When I was a PS+ subscriber I remember needing to pay $60, and that adds up over 7 years. What’s worse, I actually NEEDED it because the Vita memory cards had a 50% fail rate (lost all my data twice now, most recently just last month, but I’m not subscribed anymore like I was the first time, so I literally just lost all my save data, not that I care because I don’t play anything other than Switch/PC now anyways).

But ya. Services are basically just a means to play online and have cloud saves as far as I’m concerned. The SNES classics are a nice bonus, but really it’s all about the cloud saves. This is another reason I don’t play on PS anymore. Besides not having gyro, I don’t want to pay $60/yr for cloud backups and online. PC does both for free, with gyro. Switch does both for $20, with gyro.

That all being said, I wish they’d hurry up and put DKC2 and DKC3 on the SNES app. I’m not expecting anything beyond SNES for the online though. Unlike other services, the games offered are always available. You don’t miss out downloading DKC if you’re not a member the month it releases. And for that reason I am just expecting an NES and SNES catalog. Used to think N64 would be added but now... I think they’re just gonna stick with adding a new SNES game or two every 6 months now that they’ve built up a library of most of the desired titles.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH i think alot of people are expected to get new systems in September for NSO. If they keep snes and nes, I just feel like the outrage will pour in ya know? If they add 64 and maybe something else I might resub. If not, I might make it without online for a little while.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
I don’t think outrage will do anything. Lack of renewals, on the other hand, will be the sole determining factor. I salute everyone who votes with their wallet. You guys will hopefully help me and everyone else get some N64 games. But personally, I need my cloud saves and just can’t do without. Not only as a risk I’m unwilling to take, but as a vital tool bouncing saves back and forth between a perma-docked v2 Switch and Switch Lite, which I do almost daily in the mornings when leaving for work.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH yep. There's quite a few people out there who only sub for the nes and snes games. For me I'm not all too worried about cloud saves. Losing my AC stuff would blow but I also haven't played in a while. I barely play online anymore. So if they drop OoT and SM64, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't pay up right away. If they don't, well then I saved a measly 20 bucks. But I still saved it when I wasn't going to use it towards anything for the online sub

NintendoByNature

redd214

@JaxonH stop paying full price for Plus, it's literally ALWAYS on sale lol!! When you can get a year of plus for the same price as a family plan of NSO the price argument goes out the window, and yes we all know how important gyro is to you

@WoomyNNYes ohhhh gotcha haha.

redd214

gcunit

JaxonH wrote:

I salute everyone who votes with their wallet. You guys will hopefully help me and everyone else get some N64 games.

It is almost unthinkable that Nintendo would add N64 games to NSO and not include Super Mario 64, but then it's also almost unthinkable that they would provide 'free' access to that game around the same time that they're supposedly going to release a 3D Mario collection that includes Super Mario 64. Somehow I can't see them both happening in the same year.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Grumblevolcano

I think GBA will be this year:

• GBA came before N64 on Wii U VC (GBA in 2014, N64 in 2015)
  • Next year is N64's 25th anniversary (June for Japan, September for NA, March 2022 for Europe)
  • The Konami Wii U VC removals that were discussed earlier in this thread (do think Castlevania will be a collection though, the 3 GBA games + the 3 DS games)
  • Nintendo's made a big deal out of 2020 being the 30th anniversary of Fire Emblem and GBA has 2 games (3 in Japan) meanwhile N64 has none

Then N64 comes in September 2021.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@redd214
Well as I said I'm not buying it anyways anymore. I was just making the point that it's yet one more reason to move away from console gaming. But for the record it's not always on sale. And even when it is, it's sometimes just $10 off. When I needed it (I subbed one last time when MH came out) it wasnt on sale.

So I think I would say, just because you managed to get it on sale doesnt mean it always is, and certainly not always that cheap even when it is (unless you're buying from shady websites) so that argument kinda goes out the window. I managed to get it for $20 off once in the past, so you can get some reasonable discounts sometimes, but most times I wasn't able to, or it was a minuscule amount.

And ya, I do love my gyro! But there were other reasons too- online cost definitely being one. I dont even really like paying the $20 for Switch, but theres no alternative, and cheaper so I deal with it. But paying another $60/yr on top of it is too much (even averaging $50 it's still too much- holiday time I'm buying gifts and working less OT, dont want to have extra expenses come up around then)

Edited on by JaxonH

Magician

There's a reason we haven't either a N64 mini console or N64 added to NSO yet. N64 emulation is still all over the place. Some games run better on certain emulators. And I imagine Nintendo still haven't decide which emulator to use.

Point is, I wouldn't expect N64 to be added to NSO this fall, or anytime soon.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

FragRed

@Magician That makes sense. The system, like the Saturn and PS3, is so incredibly complex it’s little wonder emulating the system and games is still a struggle. Imagine Nintendo will add Game Boy games this year though wonder if they’ll include the Colour games.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

klingki

Nintendo had a working N64 emulator for the Wii and Wii U virtual consoles. They didn't release many 3rd party games on those services, so it's tough to tell if their emulator really could run any given game perfectly, but it worked well enough for the big first party games that they did make available. Considering their torrid love affair with drip-feeding, I'd say their previous N64 emulator would probably be good enough for the amount of games they'd likely release on NSO.

But I do agree that we may not see N64 next. I'd love to see the entire Game Boy family added (GB, GBC, GBA).

Edited on by klingki

klingki

redd214

@JaxonH lol yes, yes it is. I haven't paid full price ever, we're talking 7 or 8 years. You can get a year for $33 right this second, from a reputable seller that I've used plenty of times.

So I think I would say, just because you only managed to get it on sale once doesnt mean it always full price all the time (if someone takes a few minutes to look). All good, just trying to help ya

Back on topic, I would love N64 games as I missed that system entirely. Would love to finally see what Ocarina and Mario 64 are all about after hearing about them for decades. We'll see what they do.

redd214

JaxonH

@redd214
So who's the reputable seller? Not really interested in PS+ but if they have year round deep discounts like you say, maybe they're worth checking out for other stuff

JaxonH

@baller98
I'm not looking to buy PS+. I dont play on PS anymore. Thanks though (also I stay away from reseller sites like G2A and CDkeys- I used them in the past but had a bad experience with a Windows activation key back in the day- if it's not from an authorized seller I wont touch it).

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic