Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 48,601 to 48,620 of 49,652

BruceCM

I'd be happier if I didn't have to install games from disc on my XBox but I don't hear anyone complaining about that .... ?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Bioshock has Bioshock 1 on the cart with 2, Infinite and all DLC being download. Borderlands has part of Borderlands 1 on the cart with the rest of 1, the whole of 2 and Pre-sequel as download. XCOM 2 has 2 missions on the cart with the rest of the game and all DLC being download.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@BruceCM Because it's different from having to downloading most of the game?

Octane

BruceCM

Not really, @Octane.... Perhaps they should just have not done these physical releases? 😎 People still get discs when they have to install the games anyway, I don't know why 😏

SW-4357-9287-0699

Octane

@BruceCM Because installing a game isn't the same as downloading a game.

One requires an internet connection (downloading), the other one doesn't (installing). They're two completely different things. Additionally, a download is dependent on an active online store/server. Once the current gen servers shut down in 10 years from now, you won't be able to download previously bought games anymore (like the Wii, you can't download games anymore). You can still install a game if you have the disc, you don't need an internet connection or the online store for that.

Octane

Xyphon22

A question sort of on topic: as I mentioned earlier, I prefer buying physical partly for saving card space but mostly for reselling to afford more games. Is there any resale value to collections like Spyro and what Bioshock will be with one game on the cart and two off? Will whoever buys it be able to play the whole collection, or are the last 2 stuck with me because they are download codes that can only be used once, thus making the "collection" basically only the first game for anyone else?

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Ralizah

@Octane You'd still be missing out on the extensive patches and day one updates that make so many modern AAA games generally playable, so, at best, you'd be stuck with buggy and/or partially incomplete versions of most of your big games.

Anyway, the Wii is a bad example. That was Nintendo's first attempt at a major digital storefront. The Nintendo Eshop is the more modern storefront they've settled on, and it extends across a variety of systems. They're not going to just randomly drop support for older systems integrated into it. Not for a long time, at least.

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

Grumblevolcano

@Xyphon22 Sometimes it's updates, sometimes it's download codes, sometimes it's free DLC. Spyro has update providing the rest of the trilogy, AC Rebel Collection has Rogue as free DLC, Bayonetta 1+2 has download code for Bayonetta 1.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Ralizah It's only matter of time until the Wii U/PS3/360 servers are shut down.

I always play games without the day one patches, and so far they've worked fine for me. For TW3 I played the GOTY edition, that came with all the patches (so that option still exists for some games as well). But in general it's really not that bad. And many games had bugs before patches existed, the only difference is that those games couldn't be patched. Nobody is complaining about the glitches in Mario 64 for example.

Anyway, all of this is besides the point, which is that a download is not the same thing as installing a game.

Octane

Xyphon22

@Grumblevolcano Ok, that's interesting that they are all different. What does Spyro being an update mean? So could whoever gets the game after me also update it to still get all 3 games? I want to get that so if it's not really able to be resold I might bite while the digital version is on sale for $20. And do we know yet how the Bioshock Collection will work? Because I really want to get that, too.

Xyphon22

link3710

@Octane Just curious, but I was under the impression that the Wii U, 3DS and Switch all share the same servers, unlike the Wii and DS. I could understand them not wanting to keep the update files around eventually but with how storage space is still falling in price I could see the Wii U's update files being available for a long time, though perhaps not the matchmaking.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@Xyphon22 Spyro 2 and 3 are contained in an update which installs as normal if you're connected to the internet and have enough space, so like DOOM (2016) multiplayer. I don't think we know which type Bioshock Collection comes under yet.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Octane

@link3710 Maybe. We'll see. I'd be surprised if I can still download Wii U games 10 or 20 years from now.

Octane

UnknownReader

Question:- anyone has Wheel of fortune on Switch?
Does the game have singleplayer mode playing only with AI?
I did the "tutorial" and then stop. But when I load back on, it only have 2 option, Multiplayer or local.
I google, but can't find any answer. I did not see online mode only on eshop either.
Anyone can let me know would be great. If it's online Online mode, I can delete it off to save space. If it has singleplayer mode, can you tell me how to get that? Can't find it on setting.

My Brain, eyes, and fingers are not team player. They don't coordinate with each other.

BruceCM

Well, it says play solo, @UnknownReader.... What happens if you choose local? Does that have further options?

SW-4357-9287-0699

MsJubilee

Bought Call Of Juarez Gunslinger(was on sale) wanted to play a different game before I go back to FE Three Houses(kind burnt out on it, been playing for three days straight). And I have to say it's super fun, especially with gyro. Except for the dueling system, it's terrible and wonky.

Edited on by MsJubilee

I don't enjoy suffering alone. However, I don't mind making others suffer alone.

I'm reading Machimaho, Baki, and Magical Girl Apocalpyse.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Bioshock will be updates.

Because all 3 games are playable from cart, only the remaining portion of each game is downloaded. As such, it will certainly be an update, since full game downloads don’t make sense when you already have part of the game.

Though, me personally, I prefer physical games that include actual download codes that are permanently registered as digital copies. Because I buy digital also for all the top games anyways, it saves me from having to buy a second copy. At least, for the included games with a code.

But updates have their advantages as well. It means everything transfers if you sell the game or buy second hand. It’s just not an advantage for me because I’m not looking to sell my games or buy second hand.

PLAYING
NS: Xenoblade, Bioshock, Borderlands 2, XCOM 2, Shantae Seven Sirens, Bug Fables
PC: Gears Tactics

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020
NS: Paper Mario Origami King, Trails of Cold Steel 3, Bravely Default II
PC: Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

Xyphon22

@Grumblevolcano @JaxonH Oh, yeah. I hadn't thought of that. So that also means that I can buy Spyro (and potentially Bioshock) used and still be able to play all three games. Obviously that makes sense but for some reason my brain was only thinking about resale and not about buying. I do like to buy new (on sale) when I can, especially for smaller developers, but if used in considerably cheaper I will. And neither of those games are by smaller developers, either.

Edited on by Xyphon22

Xyphon22

UnknownReader

@BruceCM I don't know if I get the other 2 player as AL, have to turn on internet, I did not click it. I delete the save file so going to re-try it if I find out there is singleplayer.

My Brain, eyes, and fingers are not team player. They don't coordinate with each other.

rallydefault

Yea, I don't know about Wii U games 10-20 years from now. Will be interesting to see. Nintendo has already made most of those games available on Switch, so I don't see them going out of their way to accommodate Wii U people any longer than they have to. Servers cost money, so companies don't want to bog them down with stuff most people don't access anymore.

You never know. I mean, we're witness to major changes in the world right now. Companies can and do go out of business all the time. Sometimes people band together and keep games alive through private servers and stuff like that, but for large-scale eShop downloads...yea, that's not gonna last forever for everything.

That's why I buy absolutely everything I can on disk/cartridge. It's not necessarily for the "30 years from now...blahblah," but rather the freak bankruptcies, IP fights, etc. that get games yanked suddenly, sometimes with no luck for people to download them anymore.

And yes, many AAA games get big patches on day one, but very few (probably could count on one hand) aren't functional without them. Switch is the closest thing I can get to playing games offline without issues for the most part, and I'm thankful for that.

rallydefault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic