Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 48,441 to 48,460 of 69,983

Heavyarms55

I think I'm going to take the plunge and get a 1tb card for my Switch. SanDisk is releasing a new one on the 20th on Amazon Japan for about 310 dollars (34,000 yen). That's more than I want to spend, but it more than doubles my current storage - so I shouldn't need to upgrade for a long time.

What do you guys think? I've got a nearly full 400gb card right now. Upgrading to 512 just seems pointless.

This is why I really think one of the best things Nintendo could do in a potential Switch Pro would be to simply add a second Micro-SD card slot.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

NintendoByNature

I asked for a 512gb micro sd card for father's day lol. My 128gb was full a while ago so i just archive everything.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@Heavyarms55
It’s worth it and necessary.

Eventually you’ll also fill up 1TB, But at least it feels like a decent portfolio of installed games. By then hopefully larger sizes will be out, so I have a feeling they’re going to pause at one terabyte for quite a while.

They’re $240 on Amazon US last I checked btw

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Gamer83

@JaxonH
Is there a specific brand you'd recommend for the 1 TB card? I've been in the market for one for a while.

Gamer83

JaxonH

@Gamer83
SanDisk is the only brand currently with a 1TB microSD I'm aware of. And I trust it fully as I own 3 of them, one for Switch, one for Switch Lite and one for extra physical only Switch. Never had a problem.

If you really want to maximize space as a digital gamer, the 1TB card + 32gb internal + keep your largest game as a cartridge in the slot (for me its Witcher 3, and I permanently leave in the cartridge slot as a way of expanding storage an extra 32gb) which = 1,064 GB (minus OS, save files and accounting for usable space on file system which is always less)

If you really wanna handle it like a champ, you can grab a 3 pack of the plastic Nyko kickstands (these are really excellent quality too and also snap shut tight and are a bit more sturdy) which have a hidden slot to stash a 2nd micro SD. Tuck a 1TB in the slot, another 1TB in the kickstand for easy access swapping back and forth, and you're looking at 2,064GB in total.

Not bad for a handheld!

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Gamer83

@JaxonH
Thanks. I'm not a big fan of the price for these things but I'm also not a big fan of having to constantly swap out my digital purchases. I buy physical when I can so 1 TB will be more than enough although I keep hoping to see a revised Switch with slightly more powerful hardware and better memory options (two sd card slots and more internal memory).

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

StuTwo

@rallydefault I thought The Messenger was pretty great. Genuinely funny game too.

The only problem is I think the bosses are too difficult given their frequency (I have a similar problem with Sonic Mania - spamming the player with pattern memorisation bosses kind of ruined it for me). It put me off finishing the game but I enjoyed my time with it a lot.

I personally bounced off Gungeon within a couple of hours but it is clearly a well put together game.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Heavyarms55

@JaxonH Yeah, but after import feels and credit card fees it ends up being pretty much the same cost if I import an American one. I could wait until I next end up in the US but... You think I have enough patience for that?

BruceCM

Heh, I'm not too bothered myself but they announced his Miracle World last night, @Magician .... I'm sure there's some fans around who'd like that?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Heavyarms55

I normally don't browse the eshop. I generally know what I want and just search it up. But with the big sale I thought I'd take a look...

What year is it? It needs to load every like 6 rows. There's no reason for this. It's not my internet, I can play things like Mario Kart or Smash without any issues I can really see.

Maybe because of the sale there's a bunch more traffic in the eshop and that's bogging it down?

rallydefault

@NintendoByNature
Well dang, if you're gonna put it up there with Shovel Knight, I'll definitely have to get it, especially for 10 bucks or whatever it's on sale for.

rallydefault

Magician

BruceCM wrote:

Heh, I'm not too bothered myself but they announced his Miracle World last night, @Magician .... I'm sure there's some fans around who'd like that?

@BruceCM - Mmm, I suppose every game has its fanbase, big or small.

But of all the games to remaster...

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BruceCM

Heh, perhaps it'll lead to a new game for him, @Magician .... ? I don't really know that much about them, though! Some here seem to like the idea already

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

JaxonH

@Heavyarms55
eShop aggravates me to no end with that constant loading. It’s worse during the sale but it still happens at any time regardless.

They say they want a world class system, but refuse to shell out the few extra bucks it would take to increase the bandwidth capacity of the eShop. Do they not understand that a buttery smooth browsing experience makes people more likely to browse, and thus more likely to spend? They’re throwing money away, and not just that, but the overall consumer experience dictates attitudes toward them in general. When everything is half baked and shoddy people start associating that with the brand, even if they’re world class in other respects. Idiots.

Sorry. I think that issue has been welling up inside and has had me fuming for some time.

@Gamer83
Completely understand. They’re super pricey (although they have come down a lot since release) but imo, the full 1TB is just so worth it. I couldn’t imagine going back to a smaller card. Even 1TB is inadequate. Granted, I’m digital only- on my physical Switch where I use physical releases whenever they exist, even importing from Europe, Japan and Asia when possible, and only having downloads for games not sold physically, I still have about 300gb left on my 1TB card. And that’s with 300+ physical games and goodness knows how many digital. So it is adequate to last all generation if you buy physical whenever possible, even if you buy virtually every good game in existence.

But, even if you don’t buy two, something to keep in mind is, in the event you do one day fill it up by chance, you can still get the kickstand and tuck your current micro SD inside. Say it’s 400gb, that’s still an extra 400gb where you can install games you would have otherwise archived or don’t play often, that way they’re not taking up space on your main card but you don’t have to re-download them if you ever decide to play. That’s actually what I’m doing. I have my old 512gb card in the kickstand. It’s full too, but at least all my games are on an SD ready to play. Exception being Switch Lite (No kickstand). But that’s a system that doesn’t really need everything. It’s only for on the go use anyways so just focusing on the best 1TB worth is more than sufficient.

WoomyNNYes

@JaxonH I just started browsing Switch eshop deals via Nintendo's website, because the eshop is slow loading. Shouldn't need to, but here we are.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

JaxonH

@WoomyNNYes
I typically know what I'm buying before I launch the eShop. Usually go there to buy something specific rather than browse.

But on occasion when I do browse its always a pain. Even just checking the best sellers via search function to see beyond top 30, it's loading every half dozen games I scroll past in the list. Just makes me resent using it for anything other than buying a new release I already know I want.

For the record, this isn't to say other consoles are any better. All the store pages are a pain to scroll through on eShop, PS Store and Xbox Store. The only one that's smooth is Steam, tbh.

Edited on by JaxonH

darkfenrir

Why not just use dekudeals for whatever is on low price then buy it through eshop once you checked there? That site at least isn't constantly being loaded back and forth I think

darkfenrir

JaxonH

I don’t care enough about browsing to use some 3rd party site. I only ever browse when I’m on the eshop anyways buying something, and figure sure, I’ll take a quick look. Or I want to see how well a game is ranked beyond the top 30.

It’s just a pain. Not so much of a pain that I would go out of my way to browse on a different device but enough of a pain that it discourages me from doing it while I’m on the eshop anyways, which is the only time I would ever do it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic