Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 47,161 to 47,180 of 69,964

Ralizah

Atlus has a bad habit of announcing games before they've even started full development.

The wait for Persona 5 was agonizing, and the wait for SMT V will be even moreso, but it'll come, and, based on the company's track record of excellence, it'll be fully worth the wait.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Ninfan

Anyone playing blaze rush online

Ninfan

JaxonH

Yikes. PS5 may have serious overheating issues to the point of a 12 month delay and full redesign more in line with the PC-build of the Series X

And this is why managing heat is so important. This is why Switch is so underclocked at 7W in handheld mode. I know alot of people were clamoring for higher clocks which would run the system hotter (which, with Switch there's also the battery life that must be considered, not just heat), but this right here is precisely why they allow for such a wide margin. If true, underestimating the Series X would also be a key factor, but if it could handle heat better it may not be an issue. Compact little consoles can only handle so much. You want a console that pushes close to a 2080 ti you had best ensure it has proper heat management, which seems to be an issue without going for a slightly larger, vertical build.

This is why, when I bought my new PC with the best GPU/CPU on the market, I made sure it had SIX FANS that I keep running at 100%. Heat management is imperative to prevent hardware failure.

All the power in the world doesn't do any good if you don't have confidence in reliability.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@JaxonH According to people in the PS4 discussion, the source on that has a history of anti-Sony behavior and rumor spreading, I would take it with an incredibly large grain of salt.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
Idk why anyone with a credible reporting position would make something like that up, especially since there had been rumblings among multiple developers, but... it very well may not be true.

In the end, that accomplishes nothing. If it’s actually true, we are going to find out one way or another. Downplaying it or trying to discredit the source won’t bear fruit at the end of the day. At the same time, if it’s not true, making things up out of thin air won’t bear fruit at the end of the day, and will only serve to discredit the person reporting those things.

In either case, we’ll find out in due time one way or the other. And it’s still a perfect time to highlight the importance of heat management, having proper cooling, fans, etc. some thing that has been a top priority for me as a gamer. That’s why I paid $100 for a special nylon back cover and copper heat sink for the GPD Win 2. Knocked temperatures down by twenty degrees... and that’s celcius, not Fahrenheit. Heat is the real enemy of gamers. Always looking for ways to drop temps, although I do think the Switch could handle somewhat higher clocks in the v2 model.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@scubydo
It's great.

There's a full story summary available from the main menu. Takes about 15 minutes for the first game and 15 minutes for the second. I recommend devoting half an hour (entire world is layed off, we've got the time), and catching up on the story, then playing the demo afterward.

As someone who hasn't played the previous games (beyond a limited amount anyways), I felt fully immersed in the characters, world and knew exactly what was going on and how the characters landed in the situations they're in.

By the end of the demo, I was thoroughly engrossed. And, the save data transfers to the full game. So not only can you catch up on the story before the game releases, you can get a head start and learn the combat so when June 30th rolls around, you hop right in and go at it.

rallydefault

Lol guys... yea, heat is something to think about with hardware, but a lot of these components are built to withstand temps of 90+ Celsius. I'm not gonna waste part of my life watching that video, but the headline alone seems a bit sensational to me... people will do anything for clicks. Always have, always will.

And @JaxonH, you're being waaaaay too paranoid with your PC, brother. I have a fresh rig I just built a few days ago with Ryzen 3600 and Radeon 5700 and my case fans, gpu fans, and cpu fan are on curves that only take them near 100% at absolute maximum gaming loads. Like Shadow of the Tomb Raider ultra settings at 4k maximum lol And yea... just good ol' fans. No liquid cooling. No liquid nitrogen (ha). It's mostly about smart air flow in PC cases. Consoles are usually more limited because people demand nicer-looking aesthetics.

The Switch is a bit different because its form factor limits its cooling capacities immensely. I mean, come on, the thing's a handheld. It's tiny. You can't compare its cooling abilities with a PC or console, they're not even in the same ball park. You'd be better off comparing Switch to smart phones lol

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

JaxonH

@rallydefault
You do you, let me do me. I dont even like any PC running in the mid 80s. Not good long term. And I've experienced too many issues from heat personally, and read too many reports of others having issues from temps over 90. So ya, do what you want for your stuff but for me, I like good airflow and temps in the 70s. And always go above and beyond to ensure temps stay as low as possible for handheld gaming.

Per PC Gamer's recommendations:
Under 60°C: You’re golden. Nothing to see here.

60-70°C: Running okay, but perhaps a bit warm for stock (check fans/dust)

70-80°C: Maybe okay if you’re overclocking and trying to eke out the last 100MHz, otherwise check cooling fans, dust, and maybe back off the voltage or overclock (if applicable)

80-90°C: Potential for throttling to occur, and about as far as we’d ever want to push a CPU

Over 90°C: Almost certainly throttling, and combined with high voltages could kill a CPU within months to a year or so.

Also, ReviewTechUSA's video does have a clickbait title, but that's not evidence of the report being less credible. Idk if that report is true or not, but the video's title has nothing to do with it. Rich isnt the source of the report, he's just discussing it. Clearly the report is circulating given someone just said it was already being discussed in other threads. And it's the report we're interested in, not ReviewTechUSA's analysis of it. That said, I love hearing Rich's take.

edit
On second thought, my opinion has changed. That headline is not clickbait. If the report is true, and the delay in reveal is indeed due to hardware issues that could potentially result in a delayed launch, then Sony is indeed in some serious trouble, perhaps the biggest we've seen since the red ring debacle from Microsoft. So saying they "may" be in serious trouble, after a report like that, is an understatement, if anything. Whether it turns out true is another matter entirely.

Edited on by JaxonH

grizzgolf

Can I play Wii U games on my new Switch? I don't want to re buy Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for my switch if I don't have too.

grizzgolf

Tangerine

@grizzgolf Nope you can't. Have to re-purchase I'm afraid.

I hope with the Switch 2 they take a leaf out of Microsoft's book when it comes to backward compatibility and Sony for that matter. Otherwise they are going to get some serious criticism. I have so many switch games and it doesnt seem fair or consumer friendly when looking at what the other big two consoles are implementing next gen.

Tangerine

NintendoByNature

@grizzgolf I would grab yooka-laylee and the impossible lair. It doesn't get much closer to tropical freeze than that game.

NintendoByNature

Octane

@Heavyarms55 @rallydefault Yeah, I agree. The lack of launch parties/potential physical delay is probably the reason for the TLOU2 delay. I expect that once the major measures are lifted, the game will follow soon. They probably want to make the launch a big event. And since spoilers are very much a thing with ND games, even more reason to delay it and ensure everyone can play at the same time.

Octane

Ralizah

@Tangerine The Switch changed to cartridges from discs, and the architectures of the two systems are entirely different. BC was pretty much impossible in this case. Nintendo has always provided physical BC when it was possible to do so (GB on GBC; GB/GBC games on GBA; GBA games on NDS; NDS games on 3DS; GC discs on Wii; Wii discs on Wii U).

Edited on by Ralizah

Tangerine

@Ralizah Yeah... it wasnt possible to do physical backwards compatibility this gen.

I just want to be able to play all the physical AND digital games I've bought for the switch, on the switch 2. Hopefully that's what we'll get...

Tangerine

Ralizah

@Tangerine I agree. If they stick with the hybrid format, there's no reason whatsoever all of our Switch games shouldn't be available to play on their next system from day one. And if it's not a hybrid system, well, god help them, because they're going to need it.

Tangerine

@Ralizah Agreed. I feel like they have found a winning forumula/nieche with the switch and they would be mad to change direction.

For the Switch 2 I'm hoping for roughly the same form factor, but a bigger screen and or higher resolution, along with more powerful internals of course. I guess that's a way off still though, if we are only half way through this switch gen.

Edited on by Tangerine

Tangerine

rallydefault

@JaxonH
Just trying to help, man. Like, idle cpu temps in the high 30s-40s is totally normal, some people even idle around 50. If you're running your fans 100% all the time, you're gonna burn out your fans prematurely (not a big deal for case fans, but cpu fan replacement is a small cost and gpu fan replacement typically means replacing the whole gpu, which is obviously not fun for your wallet). Not only that, but dang, your rig is probably super loud, at the very least comparatively to someone running fan curves.

If you're in the 70s-80s Celsius on your gpu while gaming, you're totally fine, and you may only need fans running 75-80% under heavy loads.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

JaxonH

@rallydefault
I’m talking case fans, not CPU fans.

I’d rather burn out fans a year sooner then put undue wear (auto correct put “underwear” lol) on the expensive components.

Cotillion

Ralizah wrote:

If they stick with the hybrid format, there's no reason whatsoever all of our Switch games shouldn't be available to play on their next system from day one.

Nintendo's usually good at this.....on day one. Beyond that, I wouldn't count on it.
The DS line dropped the GBA slot. The Wii dropped NGC support in later models and then also in the Mini. The Wii U won't play NGC games (even though it technically can and all it needed was the hardware to accept the mini NGC discs).
Going by their track record, if Switch 2 is a thing and compatible, I expect at least initial models to support backwards compatibility.

Cotillion

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic