Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 46,341 to 46,360 of 69,991

Ralizah

@Seananigans In fairness, there's a Persona 5 anime that runs through the same plot points as the game.

Also, Persona 5 is a legitimately huge game in its own right. 100+ hours.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

HobbitGamer

Yeah, I wish Witcher 1 & 2 had been on Switch. Seems like cool stuff happened, given the events of 3. I’m not gonna read a book about it, because I’m playing a game.
That said, I’m assuming that the majority of folks interested in Scramble have already played other titles in the series, sooo...what are we on about?

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

GameOtaku

@Ralizah
That's like telling someone to watch the Corpse Party anime before playing Blood Drive. It omits a lot and changes several. At least with P4 and its spinoffs there was a good gap between releases unlike with P5R and S.

GameOtaku

link3710

The Witcher books had completely different plots anyways, so I'm not sure reading them would help.

link3710

Ralizah

@GameOtaku Not comparable. The Persona 5 anime runs through the same plot beats as the game, which would accomplish the task of catching someone up on the events of the story. The Corpse Party anime is literally just a showcase for some of the game's bad endings.

Anyway, my point was that it's interesting how Persona 5 S probably doesn't spoil a huge amount of stuff from the previous game, and even has an adaptation that people can use to 'catch themselves up,' but people scream about it. Yet you and apparently everyone else is perfectly fine jumping into the third Witcher game, which deeply spoils previous games and doesn't really have a faithful adaptation of the stories in the previous games.

It's funny, and it highlights the degree to which complaints about Scramble coming to Switch sans Persona 5 are fairly unreasonable.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

It needed to be said. Cant speak for motives, but it's dang curious how any time a game series PS gamers closely align with, suddenly there's all these reasons Switch gamers shouldn't be interested and why the game cant just be enjoyed without all these "requisite playthroughs" that Switch gamers are less likely to have, despite having no issue with a multitude of other games which spoil 1000x more plot with far more elaborate and meaningful stories.

Like "oh it's such a great game, too bad you have to have played the main game to enjoy it... ooopsie, ah well thats too bad. Guess its just PS gamers who should be interested. Move along and lets hope nobody buys this except established fans so the series doesnt expand and, God forbid, make the jump to a new platform"

I played P4 Dancing before ever playing P4, despite having the same characters and a separate story and (hmm, sounds similar doesnt it?), it was the game that got me into the franchise. It's the game that made me want to go back and play the main series.

And P5S will be that game for many Switch gamers. And that should be encouraged, not discouraged.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

Wouldn't Persona 5 Strikers on Switch be more comparable to the KH3 XB1 situation? The other games are on XB1 now as of yesterday but before then only KH3 was on XB1 and to catch up you needed a PS3 or PS4.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano I mean, that's close, but KH3 on XB1 was like Mass Effect 3 on Wii U. It's releasing the finale in an ongoing story without any of the prerequisites. This is more like playing Dark Dawn without playing Golden Sun and The Lost Age. It's a standalone story that takes place after a previous self-contained story in the series. Or playing Apollo Justice without having played the Phoenix Wright trilogy.

link3710

GameOtaku

The Witcher games to me at least seem more like self contained books with an over acring plot. While prior knowledge may be nice it doesn't force you to have knowledge of the other. Persona though is deeply ingrained and vested in its world.

GameOtaku

Ralizah

@GameOtaku The Witcher 3 is deeply invested in worldbuilding, and discusses plots, character arcs, twists, etc. from The Witcher 2 at length and with little prior explanation. But, yes, overall, it's a self-contained story, just like Persona 5 Scramble will be a mostly contained story that spoils some stuff from P5.

Would it be better to experience Persona 5 before playing Scramble? Definitely. But the game will still be enjoyable on its own merits. It's less like stepping in to the middle of a TV show and more like watching Die Hard 3 before Die Hard 1. Yes, you'll be spoiled on twists and plot events in the first movie, but it's still a film that can be enjoyed in its own right.

I think the real issue is that Switch owners still feel this weird sense of entitlement to Persona 5, despite mainline Persona games having stayed exclusive to Sony consoles since the PS1.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

The Witcher 3 is grossly more dependent on prior events than Persona 5 Scramble. That's just facts. The story in Persona is self contained each entry and doesnt even register as a blip on the Richter scale compared to the depth of overarching lore and events from the Witcher series.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

I think exaggerating the dependence of TW3 on The Witcher 2. Whilst it's clearly a sequel, it pretty much stands on its own. And the ending of TW2 depends on the choices you've made during the game, so whenever TW3 does reference the prequel, it's only very broadly. I never played 2 and I understood everything in 3 perfectly fine, the vast majority is self-contained.

Octane

HobbitGamer

I got it; It like watching Fantastic Beasts without watching Harry Potter.
Or eating applesauce without eating a whole apple.
Or doing one thing but not something only related by names and general associations that aren’t a required experience in order to enjoy the one thing on its on merits.
Or Hyrule Warriors without playing Zelda...

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Octane

@HobbitGamer Watching Fantastic Beasts is a morally wrong choice no matter how you cut it.

Octane

HobbitGamer

@Octane Well, there's that, too

#MudStrongs

rallydefault

@Octane
Hrm...it's almost like we're different people with different opinions.

Sorry for late response.

rallydefault

Eel

Isn't Fantastic Beasts like, a prequel to Harry Potter?

So in theory, the morally wrong choice would be to experience the first six stories without going through the Fantastic Beasts movies first.

The rite of passage, prove your worth.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

HobbitGamer

@Eel Aha! But you’d only know it’s a prequel if you were informed of it! If you were the egg, there would be no chicken to tell you what you were.

Vidya gaems

#MudStrongs

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic