Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 46,321 to 46,340 of 69,981

Octane

@rallydefault I think that view is a bit too pessimistic. Yeah, I agree that the BS that's in games like FIFA and Fallout 76 is disgusting. But there are plenty of games you can play and ignore all of that. I still think, deep down, that having the option to pay for some DLC pack or whatever kinda 'taints' the package as a whole. It makes it feel as if the original wasn't complete, but that's mostly a personal problem I think.

A game like Super Mario Odyssey is complete, even if you ignore the stupid Luigi balloon stuff. I just finished Control yesterday, and that game felt complete. And even though they have two additional DLC missions lined up, I can easily ignore them if I want to. Or maybe I'll sell the game and buy the complete edition whenever that comes around. For example, I recently bought the Shadow of the Tomb Raider Complete Edition, that has everything on disc. So even games with DLC sometimes offers options that come with everything without having to worry about any additional spending.

Octane

Dezzy

@JaxonH

Have you tested to see if there are any noticeable frame rate improvements?

As I understand it, the Switch version lags a bit in Novigrad. Maybe removing some of those graphical features might fix that?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

JaxonH

@MuhBael
Well for one, there’s nothing hostile about it regardless. Even if Sony is doing something there’s still nothing hostile about saying you want it on another system.

But for two it has absolutely nothing to do with Sony. I don’t even know where you got that from. In fact your whole comments is confused.

@Octane
Except, it wouldn’t be constrained by Nintendo, because it can’t be, because it’s already on another system. It’s the exclusivity of Sony that’s constraining the game, not Nintendo. The switch would be freedom.

But this isn’t just about Nintendo, it’s about PC as well. We have people running that Hashtag who want the game on PC too. But if you have no interest in games being on Switch, then I don’t even know why you’re in this forum in the first place.

Not to mention, I already have the game on PC. But they’re never going to release it there officially because they hate PC, and hate the idea of anyone playing it at 60 FPS, so don’t even bother. That’s why I didn’t even bother mentioning it- because that’s a lost cause from the start. You have a better chance of seeing the game on Xbox. Best to just accept that and go grab the emulator.

Switch is the ticket for this series.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Dezzy
I have, and it’s noticeably better, though it’s still not perfect. Novagrad now feels how it felt in the rest of the game before the patch. And the rest of the game feels a lot better. It’s like everything is just a little better all around.

To be clear, there’s still stutters in Novigrad, but they just seem to be way smaller in magnitude now. It doesn’t seem to be such a drastic interruption when playing.

And the resolution doesn’t look as low now either. I actually decided to play with AA still turned on, but with high sharpening. And that helps. I’m presuming that’s why it looks better but it’s also possible they just improved the performance in the area so it doesn’t drop as low, and it’s the two factors combined that are making it look better,

Now, this is on the Lite, not docked. I have no data to report for docked play right now (I have PC, I never have to play this game docked again).

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Dezzy

@JaxonH

Yeah docked looks absolutely hideous. I don't have much hope of them improving that.

I'd be interested to know if it's actually improved resolution at all though. It might not have. There are some anti-aliasing algorithms which do make the image overly blurry, so it might actually be the same resolution but just looks a lot better because the AA uses a shoddy technique.

I guess we'll have to hope Digital Foundry do their thing.

JaxonH

@Dezzy
Ya I don't think they improved the res, I just think the AA blurs the image. You can either turn it off, or, do what I did and keep the AA (because it does make the jagged edges look better), but crank sharpness up to high which gives the blurred edges a very crisp, sharp look.

So it has the appearance of increased resolution, even if that's not technically the case.

Either AA Off + Low Sharpening or AA On + High Sharpening. Both are great options. I think the AA with Max Sharpness is the best option though. Smooth everything out but then undo the resulting blur. It's perfect.

Don't recommend Max Sharpness without the AA on though. It's a bit aggressive without the AA to balance it out.

It's crazy. I can finally play my save on PC, but now that we have these sharpening options I find myself just wanting to play on Switch Lite. Sent my save over, played 15 min on PC, then spent the rest of the evening playing on Switch. They did a fantastic job here.

Edited on by JaxonH

Dezzy

JaxonH wrote:

@Dezzy
I think the AA with Max Sharpness is the best option though.

That might negate any framerate improvements though?

JaxonH

@Dezzy
Idk, I haven't really noticed any difference. And I played quite a bit since the patch dropped. Maybe there's a smidge of improvement with AA off but, if so it was too small for me to perceive any conclusive difference.

I think there are just framerate improvements all around. That or it's not nearly as choppy as I remember.

Ralizah

@JaxonH My PC version runs at a locked 60fps everywhere... except Novigrad. Unless you have some beast of a PC, I think it's mostly unavoidable.

Anyway, it's good to hear the framerate is improved. When I tried the Switch version before, I was impressed by everything BUT the framerate, which felt... the slightest bit choppy to me. It's hard to describe.

As to Persona...

https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-advertises-the-new-price-of...

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/09/01/persona-serie...

You know, the more I read about Sony and Atlus, the more I get the feeling that Sony does a LOT of promotional stuff with Atlus for the series in Japan and elsewhere, which is why Atlus keeps the series exclusive to Playstation. I understand not wanting to potentially sabotage a beneficial multi-decade relationship in order to maybe chase other audiences.

And if Persona 5 S does poorly on Switch (which I think it will), it'll cement for the higher-ups at Atlus that going multiplat just isn't worth the risk of pissing off Sony and losing the profitable free advertising and cross-promotional stuff that Sony does.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Why do you think the Switch version won't do well? It almost certainly will. Probably not as well in Japan, but it'll do respectable numbers. In the west it'll go toe to toe, easily.

And... I don't think they're spending all that much. It's not like PS won't still promote any games coming to their system. If a Switch version gets ported, it won't even affect the other version because it'll have already released anyways. Besides which, the minimal cost savings of a spotlight here and there would never be able to offset the landslide of revenue from a separate million selling version.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Well the main audience of Persona 5 Strikers is people who have already played Persona 5, Switch sales would be a lot better if Persona 5 (or Royal) was released on Switch first and then Strikers came out.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I don't doubt that's true.

But that does't mean it won't still do well on Switch, as many games have that weren't previously on the system. That's because there are tons of people who played it who also own a Switch. And, there's very few who will outright refuse a great game just because they didnt play a different great game.

For those who haven't played it, most will see Scramble as their opportunity TO experience the franchise.

link3710

For the record, I'll probably end up getting Scramble before playing Persona 5. I'm mostly waiting to find out if it has story breaking spoilers for the previous game or not.

link3710

link3710

@Seananigans That doesn't mean that there's any story breaking spoilers. I'm talking about the type of spoilers that change how you view a game if you know them when you play. Think Godot's identity in Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations.

link3710

JaxonH

link3710 wrote:

@Seananigans That doesn't mean that there's any story breaking spoilers. I'm talking about the type of spoilers that change how you view a game if you know them when you play. Think Godot's identity in Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations.

Atlus has already stated it's perfectly fine to play Scramble, and without P5 first.

It's a "sequel" in the sense it has the same characters, and events occur after. That's it. It's a separate story, and P5 was not an unfinished story arc. That's done with.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

@Seananigans
Yes, I do think they care. Otherwise people will be angry they lied. And that's not good for business.

Unless you have some actual evidence to suggest what they're saying is incorrect, I see no reason to entertain your comment any further. It seems to me you want there to be a reason people cant enjoy the game. To the point you're arguing it without a shred of evidence to support it.

And that's very strange.

JaxonH

@Seananigans
???

"Aggressive"?

I have no idea what you're talking about. Rebutting an argument is not aggression. I'm just explaining theres no basis for such an argument.

Yes, the game involves the same characters and yes, the events follow those of the first. However, the events of the first are done with. As your page you linked even says, they are dealing with new enemies in a new conflict, and thus it has nothing to do with the first.

Unless you think shadows or the world they come from is a spoiler, which is literally the premise of the entire franchise, there's nothing to spoil.

Persona is not some continuing arc story broken up into segments. Each game is standalone. And P5 is done with. This is a new story with new events. Yes it's the same characters and premise, and it technically "follows" the events of the first game. But following does not = continuing the same story. It's a new story. The wiki even says as much.

It's a completely separate side story that occurs independently of the main game. You can play it, not play it, but it's not going to "spoil" the main game any more than Persona 4 Dancing spoiled Persona 4.

JaxonH

@Seananigans
Ok fair enough.

That said, I 100% disagree. This should absolutely be peoples' first game as much as any other. It's a Persona style game, people should enjoy it. Nothing wrong with that. Having a potential "reference" or two isnt going to spoil anything, and this game will do a perfectly adequate job of explaining it's own story.

This is not a trilogy, where this is the second game in the story. It's a spinoff that occurs afterward but very closely mirrors the mainline series in structure. That's as good a candidate for a first game as any.

Ralizah

I'm sure there will be some spoilers for P5, but, from what I've played, it feels very much like a new story with the same characters. I don't think it's a huge deal if someone plays Scramble before P5. But I also think a lot of people who might have purchased this after P5 will just not bother on Switch because they feel like they're stepping in to the middle of a story. It's a niche game, so it's not like Pokemon where it can just shrug off fan controversy.

What I will say is that I think it's interesting that nobody cares about playing The Witcher 3 before the other Witcher games, even though it spoils huge plot elements from previous games.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I was just gonna say that. Nobody has a problem with Witcher 3, a game that quite literally does spoil the previous games. In huge ways.

Yet this little spinoff with it's own story isnt good unless you've played the series before? Come now..

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic