Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 46,161 to 46,180 of 69,963

Ralizah

@JaxonH I've yet to see evidence of social sim gameplay. Going to school, holding a job, doing stuff around town to build your stats, hanging out with people to increase their social links, etc. That's the core of modern Persona, as far as I'm concerned.

Scramble looks like a VERY good spinoff, but if it lacks the social stuff, then it's less of a modern Persona game than even Fire Emblem: Three Houses was, as far as I'm concerned.

With that said, story-wise, Atlus has at least once straight up referred to it as 'Persona 5-2.'

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I mean, that’s fair, but I don’t think that defines the entire game (hence the 75% the same). I think it’s one aspect of something much larger. You could take those social things out and it would still be Persona (in fact I think this game is proof of that).

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH I'd say Persona 5 was about 60/40 in terms of the distribution of social sim vs normal JRPG stuff, with the game leaning more heavily on the social stuff this time around.

With that said, we don't know everything about this game, so it could feature some of that, and even if it doesn't, it's still structurally the most Persona-like of the Persona spin-off games thanks to the fact that you explore palaces, and there's something like an action version of Persona 5's turn based combat in this game.

One thing I was impressed by was how, after the first large encounter, I just encountered clumps of enemies and fought them like in a JRPG, as opposed to every battle being across huge arenas/battlefields.

Technically, it's a very rough game on Switch, though. A lot of aliasing. You can definitely tell it was Koei-Tecmo that developed this, just like with Fire Emblem.

By the way, it's interesting how massive K-T has become as a third party partner to Nintendo. FEW, HW, P5S, FE:TH, whatever normal Warriors games have released on Switch... it's really remarkable.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Ya it’s got some aliasing, but it seems to be more evident in certain non-gameplay-but-still-in-engine scenes. Of course my m-cable helps a lot with it. I noticed it more in handheld mode where the cable wasn’t active. But ya, trademark KT.

The clumps off enemies is what really impressed me. That’s what made it feel like a JRPG. That and pausing time to choose a skill, or to shoot an enemy.

Koei Tecmo is an unsung hero. I try to support them whenever possible.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

DannyBoi

Why don't nintendo listen to the fans? Sony and Microsoft do. Nintendo doesn't and it causes them problems. We cant message on the switch. We have to use an app. We have been asking for tbings for not far short of 3 years now. And we still haven't got them.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

rallydefault

@DannyBoi
Hello - there are many sweeping generalities in your post. I'm sure others will take the time to "dig in, " as they say. My thoughts are this, though: trying to paint an entire barn in an hour might sound like a cool challenge, but in in the end it's messy, exhausting, and still mostly houses hay and poop.

rallydefault

HobbitGamer

@DannyBoi Microsoft listens to the fans? I must’ve missed that about Windows Phone, backwards compatibility, etc. 😛

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

rallydefault

@HobbitGamer
Hey man, Windows Phone was freakin' awesome. I still had one last year, but eventually only got rid of it because security updates were ending. Seriously awesome phones and such a bummer they didn't catch on.

Mindless Apple...apples...can't lift their eyes beyond the tree.

rallydefault

HobbitGamer

@rallydefault That’s what I mean, they let it drift into the ether. I had a Nokia 650 and loved the interface. And I think the overall owner consensus was that it had really improved. The ability to use it as a console remote was neat, too.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

JaxonH

@DannyBoi
We’ve seen Nintendo listen to fans more-so than any other time in history with the Nintendo Switch. Fans wanted a hybrid system. They got it. Fans wanted region free. They got it. Fans wanted cloud saves. They got it. Fans wanted a snappy OS. They got it. Fans wanted a capacitive touch screen. They got it. Fans wanted a return to Mario 64 style Mario. They got it. They got it, they got it, they got it.

Just because they haven’t done every single thing 100% exactly how you prescribe doesn’t mean they “never listen to the fans”. All companies listen to the fans. And at the same time, all companies don’t listen to the fans. They weigh what fans want against their own needs and reasons that fans know nothing about. They weigh it against how many fans actually care (and it’s not as simple as saying all fans want this or all fans want that- each and every fan is an individual person with their own desires and wants and their own ideas of how they think things should be- and even in areas where there is relative consensus you’ll often find that the vast majority of people simply don’t use the feature or care- just a vocal minority). There will always be things companies do where you wish they would do otherwise.

Are there still things I wish they would change? Of course. They’re not going to “listen to the fans” on everything. Just like Microsoft isn’t listening to the fans with AA batteries and no gyro for their controllers or tried to force DRM online checks every 24 hrs to play your games. Sony wasn’t listening to their fans all generation long by restricting cross play and no external drive support, and only gave in right before the new generation started for publicity’s sake- they’d already reaped the benefits of denying access all generation. Or their $100 32gb proprietary sd cards for the Vita. And Nintendo doesn’t listen with regard to messaging or ensuring all games have a save backup option or at the very least, a transfer option (Animal Crossing).

So go ahead and complain we can’t message. Everyone agrees it would be a nice feature. But don’t pretend like other companies are any different. The only difference is the areas in which they do and don’t listen. Different companies have different values and different priorities. Sony and MS focus on the angsty teens of the world and thus prioritize features angsty teens want. Nintendo focuses on family friendly gaming and thus makes decisions accordingly. Messaging on handheld systems has always been a perceived risk to them, whether you and I personally agree with that evaluation or not (and for the record I do disagree with their evaluation).

Any company thriving in this business is, by extension, listening to what the market wants most and adequately responding. Long term. There are times companies don’t listen that well (Wii U, Xbox One launch, Vita, etc) and they pay the price accordingly. Yet all of these companies have bounced back from that by listening to what fans want in the areas that matter most. That is not to say they go down a list of 100 demands and see to it every single one is met exactly how “fans” think they should be. Fans are ignorant (yes, myself included) to the other side of the argument. Fans only care about what they want without considering the cost or the reasons the company may have against it.

You have to work your way through the five stages of grief. We’ve all come to acceptance. Not to say we like it, but it is what it is, and it’s not going to change, so we accept it. But you still seem to be stuck in the anger phase 3 years on.

Edited on by JaxonH

Ralizah

I'm surprised by how slight the visual difference actually is between the PS4 and Switch versions of P5S.

The higher framerate is obviously nice to have, but I think I'll be going with the Switch version of this game.

TuVictus

Trying to unscrew the back plate of my Switch, but the screws strip so easily. Already ordered another screw driver before its irreversibly ruined. One of the most frustrating things to find in a while

TuVictus

JaxonH

@Seananigans
Why would you ever say a phenomenal game is "pointless"? Certainly not pointless to people who love playing great video games.

Its fine to want a specific game, but when a person starts later focusing on that one game to the exclusion of all else, I think such a person is kind of missing the point.

Nephestinus

@JaxonH
Simple - P5S is a direct sequel to P5 which is pointless to have if you don't know what P5 is all about.

Nephestinus

JaxonH

@Nephstinus
That's absolutely not true. Not true at all.

You could play P5S and never have heard of the franchise in your life and enjoy it just as much as anyone else.

It's not some overarching story where you get a piece there and a piece here. The main game had it's own story, and it's done and over with. This game has its own separate story. Yes it's a sequel because it has the same characters and follows the events. But the events themselves are separate, and can be enjoyed separately.

Zelda Windwaker and Spirit Tracks are sequels too. Doesnt mean you have to have ANY knowledge of one to play the other. Metroid Prime 2 is a sequel to Metroid Prime. Doesnt mean you have to have ANY knowledge to enjoy it. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles. Doesnt mean you need to have ANY knowledge of the other to enjoy it.

Just because a game is a "sequel" doesn't mean it demands requisite prior knowledge. And even in the rare instance where a game developer designs an entire game around REQUIRED knowledge of another game (which is insanely foolish and why so few developers actually do it), they bend over backwards to catch you up on that required knowledge (see Trails of Cold Steel III backstory options in the main menu).

Any requisite knowledge will be given to the player, guaranteed. No backstory offered in menu means there's literally nothing you need to know about before hand.

Edited on by JaxonH

link3710

@JaxonH I'm trying to recall any games that rely on prior knowledge outside of the Mass Effect Trilogy (which was phenomenal in it's use of that, but obviously shouldn't be looked at as usual, and also explictly designed as a long continuous story with a set beginning and end). Kingdom Hearts comes to mind of course, but you can play those games in practically any order, especially since release order and chronology have little to do with each other.

Uh... Final Fantasy X-2 I believe basically requires having played FFX. Same with the IV, VII and XIII sequels. Oh, and Golden Sun and The Lost Age. But I think therein is the issue. Most games that required playing the prequel to have a clue what's going on are JRPGs, which this is. Thus, it makes sense for Nephstinus to be worried about this. Especially if they don't know that the only sequels so far with the same characters in Persona (2: Innocent Sin and 2: Eternal Punishment) are designed to be played in either order.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
A small handful representative of less than 1% of all JRPGs, and even then its debatable if that information is required. Final Fantasy X-2 stands on it's own pretty well. I would never say FFX is required to play X-2, even if it does rely on some knowledge.

Of those that truly actually require prior knowledge, they include a story summary. And games that do that are extremely rare, because the need for prior knowledge is extremely rare.

I mean, Atlus even came out and said straight up that no, you dont need to play P5 to play Scramble. So I dont see the worry justified. But it was stated as more than worry anyways. It was stated as a matter of fact.

Grumblevolcano

Torna is designed to be played after XC2 (at least after completing chapter 7 of the base game) given that playing Torna first spoils parts of the main game's plot.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Xyphon22

Sure, there are very few games that require you to have played the previous game(s) in the series, but there are quite a few that will make it more enjoyable or poignant if you have, with nods or cameos that you will have no clue why they are there and will make no sense otherwise. And with so much else to play on Switch, I think getting less enjoyment out of a game than you otherwise could might be the tipping point in choosing not to play it, because you can't play everything.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic