Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 45,861 to 45,880 of 46,001

Magician

You know what grinds my gears? Retailers listing items priced over their msrp and labelling that price as an item that's "on discount". I'm looking at you Play-Asia. $150 for either the Link's Awakening collector edition or the Astral Chain collector edition is not a discount.

Switch Physical Collection - 459 games (as of November 15th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest XI (Switch) Tales of Hearts R (PS Vita)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

It's not like audiences broadly respect the opinions of professional critics. Modern critics aren't trendsetters in almost any more artistic industry.

Award shows driven by critical consensus are irrelevant and often out of touch with the broader audience, and award shows driven by viewer participation measure the broad popularity of a product and nothing else.

So, yeah, I watch award shows like the Game Awards for the surprise trailers and nothing else.

The games industry isn't Hollywood. The Game Awards have been very good at matching the general audience opinion. Here are the GotY for the last 10 years. There's not much difference between this and the hypothetical audience vote in my opinion. Maybe 1 or 2 differences. This definitely isn't equivalent to the insane kind of disconnect you see at the Oscars though, where they've basically detached themselves entirely from audience popularity.

2009 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2010 Red Dead Redemption
2011 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim360
2012 The Walking Dead
2013 Grand Theft Auto V
2014 Dragon Age: Inquisition
2015 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
2016 Overwatch
2017 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2018 God of War

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

SuperSpaghetti

It really didn’t deserve it over RDR2. Speaking of, I would love the original RDR or Revolver on Switch.

Future games collector

kkslider5552000

Magician wrote:

It was a Geoff Keighley production then, and it continues to be the same product today. The only thing that has changed is the sponsorship funding the event.

As someone who doesn't even particularly like the Game Awards, it could not hope to compete with the sheer level of awful of the Spike TV game awards. At least now they pretend to care, Spike TV did not give a ****. It's like the poor man's version of whatever the poor man's version of the MTV VMAs would be. You could make your own version of the Razzies for worst Spike TV game award moments, and some bad stuff wouldn't even be nominated.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

NB, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Alstil

Just wanted to chime in and say that the special edition Pokémon Switch Lite is really nice. I exchanged my Turquoise Lite for it today.

I liked the Turquoise but the uniqueness wore off after a while and I just preferred something more classic looking. The Pokémon version looks like an old Nintendo console with the grey and subtle touches. I feel it will draw less attention as well.

I’m glad that Nintendo went colourful with the Lite but their choices were a bit off the mark for me.

Alstil

Ralizah

@Alstil Man, I'm still salty the shipment of mine was delayed. With all luck, I'll be getting mine tomorrow, but I really don't trust Amazon now.

It is a beautiful looking system. Really excited to get it.

Ralizah

redd214

I was at my local Walmart this afternoon and they had a dozen of the Pokémon Lites in the case! I'd figured it would be popular but perhaps not.

redd214

Link-Hero

@Ralizah
A package I'm getting from Amazon got delayed as well, but the thing for me is they're not saying the reason why. Are you getting a similar issue?

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

Ralizah

@Link-Hero Well, I say delayed, but, in reality, the post office never received it. So I had to wait a day after the original arrival date to have it declared lost so that they could ship out a replacement.

They're annoying on the phone, though. You have to really press them to keep customer service from just blowing you off.

Best thing to do is to call them and keep escalating until somebody can make things right.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Grumblevolcano

The Cranky Kong saga is all I remember from before the awards show became the Game Awards.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Heavyarms55

I've seen a decent handful of adapters to use Bluetooth wireless headphones with Switch. Most I don't like because they end up being a big tumor looking thing clumped on the Switch. With the USB ones making the Switch too awkward to set in a stand or sit on my stomach while I'm laying down in bed. And the headphone jack adapters needing their own power source.

But I finally found one I like from some random company I've never heard of before - GuliKit. It's almost flat and the same black as the Switch and it works real nice! I'm sitting here listing to some Man with a Mission while typing. It sounds great! I tested it with Tetris 99 listening real close to the sound of dropping pieces and if there is latency/lag, it's too little for me to notice.

Further, I can't say for sure if it's the adapter or my headphones, (I don't know enough about the tech, maybe you can tell me?) but I literally put the Switch in one corner and moved as far away from it as I could in my apartment, closed both doors between me and it and I had no static or interruptions!

On an related note - I don't know if this is the adapter, or just USB headphones on Switch in general - but I get a LOT more volume this way than with wired headphones on the headphone jack. I can barely handle max volume painfully. But with the headphone jack sometimes it's still kinda quiet on max. I don't have a wired pair of USB-C headphones to test this with, has anyone else noticed this?

Not sure yet how this will affect battery on the Switch. I'll have to run some tests when I have the time. I'll try playing the same game with and without the adapter and see if there's a significant difference.

Can I share links on here? Otherwise I can throw you the link on Discord if you're interested. It was about 3000 yen, roughly 25 USD give or take.

Of course now that I finally caved and bought one, Nintendo will probably add this function finally in the next update. XD (I'd honestly be okay with that.)

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

NEStalgia

So here's my question for everyone: I still haven't opened Luigi's Mansion. Real Life(TM) keeps interfering. It was going to be my special Halloween game.

Now I have a decision to make. Do I just save it for next Halloween and make it a Halloween game as it's supposed to be at this point? Or is it too long to wait a whole year just to play this game I've been looking forward to all year? Not playing it at Halloween kind of kills part of the fun. Yet waiting a whole year sucks. Internet: You decide.

NEStalgia

jump

NEStalgia wrote:

So here's my question for everyone: I still haven't opened Luigi's Mansion. Real Life(TM) keeps interfering. It was going to be my special Halloween game.

Now I have a decision to make. Do I just save it for next Halloween and make it a Halloween game as it's supposed to be at this point? Or is it too long to wait a whole year just to play this game I've been looking forward to all year? Not playing it at Halloween kind of kills part of the fun. Yet waiting a whole year sucks. Internet: You decide.

Put The Nightmare Before Xmas, Krampus and Gremlins on the telly and play it on Xmas day!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Tangerine

It's too good to save for a whole year. Play it! Play it now! :]

Tangerine

HobbitGamer

Tangerine wrote:

@jump Don't forget die hard! That's a Christmas film

It most certainly is. I even have a Nakamura Christmas Party t shirt

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

jump

Tangerine wrote:

@jump Don't forget die hard! That's a Christmas film

It's not a horror film though. I suppose an alone man wondering around a multi-floored high rise is similar to the game.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

rallydefault

@NEStalgia
Yea, you've gotta play it sooner rather than later. Definitely don't wait a whole year for it. I'm not much of a theme person, though.

rallydefault

NEStalgia

@Link-Hero It might depend where it's shipping from and what carrier. I got a notice from FedEx on a package that their airport hub in TN got hit with an ice storm and most things due today was delayed in the US as a result. But, yeah, Amazon makes you wait until after the arrival date to do anything about it.

@rallydefault Hmm...I do theme things, and Mansion 2 was a blast when I saved it for Halloween week last time...but yeah, it's tempting to dive in because I just can't wait a whole year....I was looking forward to it for months. Spoil the thrill of LM at Halloween, or wait forever for a game I want to play....hard call....

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic