Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 45,861 to 45,880 of 69,962

Maxwellwright

Hello all,

I am unable to play my switch on the dock. When I connect it to the dock and open up a game, I get the error code “2162-0002” or a “the software was closed because and error occurred” message. I get the message about 2 mins after starting a game. I’ve looked up the error code on the Nintendo support site but that didn’t help too much. I’ve tried different displays as well an aftermarket dock/cable.
Has anyone experienced this or have a possible solution?

Thanks!

Maxwellwright

toiletduck

For the Dutch fans here: bol.com has a sale. Lots of new physical titles for 49 euros and some cheaper. Not that great, but still good if you've been holding out for Pokemon or Luigi's Mansion.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Octane

@toiletduck ARMS is €50, what a deal!

How is Luigi's Mansion 3? Like the first one, or like the second one?

Octane

Dezzy

@Maxwellwright

You should find someone else with a dock (or maybe a second-hand game shop) and try it on a different dock. That will at least tell you where the error is located.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

link3710

@Octane Luigi's Mansion 3 is a mix. The rooms are far more detailed and involved like the second. The floors aren't exactly linked though, giving the game a feel somewhere between the separate mansions of LM2 (especially in the latter half) and the big Mansion of LM1 (the first half of the game, which lasts as long as LM1 anyways). Portrait ghosts are back (by a different name) as well as Boos, and boss battles are the best they've ever been. Combat has also been revised again, so it's honestly different from either of the prior two. Overall I'd say it's better than either prior one, but captures a different feel than either of them as well.

link3710

Octane

@link3710 I found the controls rather clunky in the previous games. So if they've improved those, then that's good to know.

Octane

link3710

@Octane It wasn't until I messed with the controls that I liked them. The good (at least for me) news is that I found it best when all vertical movement is handled by the gyro, while you only had to control the horizontal directions with the sticks.

link3710

DannyBoi

I think Nintendo should launch another online service that offers all the classic games(such as gamecube games, n64 games) and has free games every month. They can keep the other subscription as an entry level subscription. Nintendo Switch online is not bad, but it leaves a lot go be desired. And what are your thoughts on Nintendo Switch online? Is it good, is it value for money does it offer enough?

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

Anti-Matter

@DannyBoi
If i want to play with older games, i will play with their specific machines without Virtual Console or Free games from Online subscription.
I want my games in physical, not in digital download.

Anti-Matter

DannyBoi

@Anti-Matter So you preffer to actually own your games. And you want to play classic games on their consoles. I think Nintendo should let you buy the classic games they have on NSO.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

Anti-Matter

@DannyBoi
No.
I mean, if i want to play older Nintendo games, i will buy the right machine to play.
Wii & Gamecube games with Wii machine, Wii U and Wii games with Wii U machine, GBA and NDS games with NDS lite, NDS and 3DS with 3DS machine, etc.
I have no interest with Mini NES, SNES machines since the games are fixed inside the machines. Very different with their original machine that i can pick the games i only want to play on those machines.

Anti-Matter

SuperSpaghetti

NSO but instead of NES and SNES they offer like four older games (NES to Wii with occasional 3DS or WIIU exclusives) monthly and you get to download them to keep like the XBOX Live Gold game service where they offer free games. Up the price and offer decent games each month and both Nintendo and the subscribers win. It’d be like more of a celebration of Nintendo as well if they typed up some facts about the games. Something like this would be a varied selection, with a big title and a few smaller ones to keep people interested for what they offer next:

Pilotwings 64 (N64)
Geist (GCN)
Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
Steel Diver (3DS)

Future games collector

HobbitGamer

DS games would need extra work.
Wii games would need extra work.
GameCube games would need extra work.

Extra work = extra resources = extra costs.

I may be in the minority, but I don’t want an increase in my online sub price just to subsidize the cost of additional decades old games.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

link3710

@HobbitGamer Emulating games is a one time cost. Once they port their existing emulator over, it's not like it's a continuing cost to keep it running. That's why they can keep rolling them over slowly without increasing the cost.

That said... I wouldn't expect GCN / Wii games this gen. Too many GCN/Wii games require more power to emulate than the Switch has, and quite frankly the emulator for those systems is at least an order of magnitude more complex than an N64 one. I mean solving the problem of transitioning from on demand shaders to delayed shaders like modern games alone took a decade and a half for fans to come up with an incredibly complex to understand or program solution, and that's only one of the many things going on. Some games (Wind Waker, Pikmin, Mario Galaxy) might not be that complex to emulate at original resolution + frame rate, but a good chunk wouldn't be plausible quite yet, on both systems.

link3710

HobbitGamer

@link3710 The work for emulation wasn’t what I meant. The GameCube titles using analogue triggers and Wii titles using sensor bars would have to be worked on per title, tested etc. You’re dropping enough knowledge of the complexity to agree that emulation isn’t drag and drop.
I get what you’re saying, I just think it’s a warp pipe dream for folks to expect anything past N64 to drop into the NSO service. At least for the next five years, anyway. Even Microsoft gave a halfhearted toss on OG Xbox compatibility.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

link3710

@HobbitGamer The sensor bar actually wouldn't need to be title by title... if they do it right. So basically, the modern way of emulating the sensor bar involves a virtual controller being mapped. Since the joy-cons have gyro, it's entirely possible to emulate the sensor bar perfectly (with a gyro reset button, presumably L) if the effort was put in, without needing title by title adjustments. In fact, they could even implement globally using the touch screen as a pointer as well, though I can't imagine that would work well in many titles. The majority would have to be TV mode only, any nunchuk ones requiring split joycons. But again if they implement the controls in globally, they just need to mark the ROMs with which control schemes are compatible.

That said, as far as I know, you're right on the money about the analogue triggers, I can't figure out any sort of mapping that would work 100% of the time on those games. I mean, other than using the GCN adaptor to use actual GCN controllers. So yeah, with power out of the way it might be easier to get the Wii emulated on 100% of games than the Gamecube.

link3710

HobbitGamer

@link3710 But Wiimotes used gyro, too. So you can’t swap it for the other function. It’s just a mess.

#MudStrongs

link3710

@HobbitGamer Actually you can. I'd link the article on how it's pulled off, but that might be classified as against the forum''s rules. Suffice to say, if you know your starting position (hence the recenter button) you can always calculate where you would be pointing via IR by knowing the movements since. IR allows for automatic recentering however, something that the Joy-cons lack, but not anything that's necessary to play games. That's how the on screen pointer in Super Mario Maker 2 works, for example.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Octane

@HobbitGamer Never at the same time though. Most Wii games used the pointer controls, and don't require a Wii Remote Plus. And the games that do only use the gyro IIRC. I don't remember a game that used both. Skyward Sword used gyro for example, even in the menus, despite the fact that it was as slow as molasses, and pointer control would've been better in that situation.

Octane

JaxonH

Repost for my thoughts on Strike! Ten Pin Bowling

Just tried the demo. This game is FREAKING LEGIT. This is the Wii Sports bowling game we’ve been waiting for.

I passed on all the others because of the cheap looking graphics or Mii looking characters that seemed straight out of a mobile phone game... but this game actually presents it self with class. Minimalist, but clean, and a gorgeous look tbh.

The motion controls actually work really well, though it is a bit different than Wii sports. You hold a button to pick up the ball but instead of letting go to release, you press the shoulder trigger. Small difference but it works all the same. Personally I do think that letting go felt a little more natural in Wii Sports, but given just how close this game nails it that’s something I can easily overlook.

Instantly purchased after trying the demo. I don’t think we’re going to see much better than this aside from an official Switch Sports.

edit
Was sending the team feedback requesting an alternate control scheme like Wii Sports to release ZR for ball release (it’s a small thing but as I told them I think it’s the one thing holding this game back from reaching legendary status), and I noticed this on their website. Found it pretty interesting...

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic