Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 45,721 to 45,740 of 45,811

Maxz

For anyone following the thrilling developments of my New 3DS purchase, I have now actually removed the upper screen protector at it was less that perfectly transparent, which caused some bleed-through of the two separate images images put out by the system and made the 3D effect worse than on the original model. Having removed it, the image is crisp and the 3D is working really well. Hooray!

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

FragRed

I think with the future for Nintendo's consoles, one thing they are going to be watching extremely carefully is how the market for streaming games takes off as that will certainly have an impact on how they need to position themselves going forward. First party exclusives may not be enough to excite people in an era where streaming games is becoming more and more relevant.

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

darkfenrir

Streaming games will never win in South East Asia for sure :V

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

link3710

@FragRed Well, streaming games here where I am in the US is still one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had, I think they've got plenty of time, assuming we ever get to the point where it can take off.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

redd214

While I'm bullish in streaming and have tried just about all the announced services thus far (PS Now, Google, EA, Ubi etc) I honestly think we are at least another generation away from it being a big deal. I'm talking PS6, Xbox "3", Switch "3". I think it will definitely make a ton of progress in the next generation however.

redd214

link3710

I'll say this: Even if streaming does take off (which it probably will), I have a hard time believing streaming-only will be a thing outside of certain exclusive titles to push services. For movies and TV, they've settled on a fairly steady platform of offering both ways for almost all major titles, and I think that's worked out as best as could be hoped?

link3710

EvilLucario

I still think that game streaming is snake oil at this time. It could possibly change in a generation, but right now I am not convinced.

I am willing to eat crow if Stadia does launch and it works super well, but I'm not feeling it.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

DockEllisD

A Super Monkey Ball demo’s now available on the Japanese eshop.

SW-6158-1383-2033

Grumblevolcano

@EvilLucario If any of them are going to succeed, I think it's going to be xCloud.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

PikPi

Unless the major internet companies actually expand and better their infrastructure for most of America, ( they won't ) I just don't see streaming taking off in a big, meaningful way. At least stateside. But it'll be interesting to see how it grows.

Edited on by PikPi

PikPi

JaxonH

Dezzy wrote:

JaxonH wrote:

Nintendo has only marginally improved on one of their systems mid-generation, out of all the systems they’ve released.

Which one are you counting here?

Gameboy->Gameboy Color (dunno if this counts as an iteration or a different console)
GBA-> GBA SP
DS-> DSi
3DS->new 3DS

Also the N64 had the expansion pack, which is kinda the equivalent of iteration in plug-in form.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Clearly within the context of the conversation I was referring to graphical upgrades similar to what would fall into a "pro" category

GameBoy to GameBoy Color didn't increase the graphical grunt of the Gameboy, it just added color. Sure it added color, but #1 that happened after 8 years on the market and #2 it's more akin to adding stable 3D in the 3DS than it is making a more expensive "Pro" version of the GB meant to run GB games at higher res and framerates.

GBA to GBA SP didnt increase the graphical grunt of GBA, it just made it a flip top. It added a backlight, but again, see point #2

DS to DSi didnt increase the graphical grunt and fidelity of games. It just made it sleeker with DSi games. There may have been a technical change in the chip capability but, the net result was not DS games at higher graphical fidelity.

3DS to New 3DS did increase the graphical grunt, and that's the one time which I mentioned. But even then, it was barely enough to be considered a "pro". It was a marginal improvement that gave a couple games higher framerate, but that's not saying much given it was running 240p games on par with a GameCube.

So... ya. Those changes actually kinda make my point for me. The vast majority of their revisions have offered things other than increased graphical output. And that's what I expect from the next NSW revision. It may be a graphical-focused revision- its not out of the realm of possibility, but I wouldn't feel confident enough to actually bet on it.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: DQXIS, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ni No Kuni, Divinity: OS 2, Astral Chain, Zelda Link’s Awakening

HEY LISTEN! GO PLAY ORI AND THE BLIND FOREST!

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

link3710

@JaxonH Actually, GameBoy to GameBoy color did in fact improve the graphical / processor (no dedicated GPU of course) capabilities, hence why GameBoy color only games exist. It also had 4x the RAM (32kb to 8kb)

The DSi had additional RAM and a better processor, but to access the improvements the games had to run in 'native mode', meaning no improvement on old games due to the lack of patching. Therefore, only a small number of games have a difference between running on DS and DSi performancewise, and the DSi had like, 1 exclusive that I know of outside of DSiWare.

The GBA SP is the only one on the list that didn't feature internal hardware improvements, yes.

EDIT: And to make my point clear, I'm saying there will be a revision that improves graphics, not that the graphical fidelity improvement will be notable.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
And I mentioned that.

Point being, if GameBoy Color is someone's argument for Switch getting a Pro model, well...

Chips get improved sometimes- quite often, actually, but for other reasons than to simply run games at higher res and framerates. Heck, even Switch v2 has a better chip, but it isnt for increased graphical fidelity. GB needed to achieve color. Idk what DSi needed but it sure as heck didnt run games any better.

And that's the bottom line. The focus was not on increased graphical fidelity, irrespective of any technical changes to a chip. Nintendo has never chased the "pro model" approach, and the only exception that could maybe be made to that is borderline at best.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: DQXIS, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ni No Kuni, Divinity: OS 2, Astral Chain, Zelda Link’s Awakening

Jesus is Lord.

link3710

@JaxonH

Yeah, because in the half hour it took me to finish writing the post and fact check it, you'd done another post. Sorry about the repetition. But for reference, I'm saying that there will be a revision that improves graphical capability. I am NOT saying that the graphical upgrade will be notable. Hence why I always write 'pro' in quotation marks. But considering the Color, DSi, and N3DS improved specs, the chances of the Switch not getting a rerelease with at least marginally better specs is slim. As I said in my original post, I expect a slightly newer revision of RAM with the same capacity, and a slightly better CPU, and that's it.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
Nobody's arguing that. I mean, it's already happened. Switch v2 has a more capable chip. It's already happened.

But a "more capable chip that doesnt net any tangible results" or a "more capable chip that nets marginal results" and a "purposefully superior hardware configuration built and designed to increase graphical fidelity" are two tooootally different things. And I'm making a point to differentiate between them.

What I've been saying is, Nintendo has never chased the latter. Plenty of the former, but only one borderline case of the latter.

As I've already mentioned, I'm 99% sure one more revision is coming. We all agree there. No disagreement. And of course it will have some improvements. The question is, what kind? Will it be a case of of the former, or of the latter (the latter being an actual "Pro" model, a revision specifically designed to cater to core gamers via increased graphical fidelity ala Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro).

I'm simply making the case that the historical evidence leans more toward the former than the latter. A technically more powerful chip doesn't make a system a Pro model, otherwise Switch v2 would be considered a Pro model along with all those other revisions from Dezzy with "technically improved chips".

That said, anything can happen. You can't predict the unpredictable, and Nintendo is most definitely unpredictable.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

NintendoByNature

I haven't picked it up yet,but I'm curious to see what people think of yooka?

NintendoByNature

link3710

Honestly, I've been too busy finishing Ori, Gato Roboto, and Link's Awakening, and now starting Ni No Kuni. Someday, I'll try Yooka I'm sure but... yeah.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH The focus of the New 3DS was framerate, load times and better camera control (the added stick). Games like Smash 3DS and MH4U had much better load times meanwhile games like Hyrule Warriors Legends and the Pokemon games had better framerates.

So I'd think the next revision of the Switch may do stuff like make Korok Forest a stable 30fps in BotW, no frame drops in Link's Awakening, 60fps in Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, etc. Meanwhile games like BotW 2 and Metroid Prime 4 run similar on OG Switch to how Pokemon Gen 7 ran on OG 3DS.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoByNature

@sixrings I'm probabaly going to get it eventually, but not for a little while at least. I need a finish some games before I go buying more.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic