Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 45,581 to 45,600 of 69,983

Grumblevolcano

I'm calling it that one of the six (probably the last one) will be either Sigurd, Seliph or Hector to promote the next Fire Emblem remake (Sigurd or Seliph if the remake is Genealogy, Hector if the remake is Binding Blade given we already have Roy).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TuVictus

I won't even begin to guess what fighters they're gonna bring out, but I imagine there are gonna be at least one or two really-out-of-left field ones. Hard to imagine it's gonna be getting new fighters up until December next year, yet here we are

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

JaxonH

@DannyBoi
That's premature. They're not "being quiet". We're only 16 days into the year and have the next 4 1st party releases with dates on the calendar.

Only if/when we see that whittled down to say, 1, and they still haven't said anything, then you can say they're being quiet. Right now that's not the case. We have plenty of time to communicate what's coming after Animal Crossing.

We're 16 days into the new year. Settle down.

@link3710
Same. Though I still find myself using the Steam Controller 99% of the time anyways. Still good to have a normal controller with Dpad to fall back on.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

DannyBoi

@JaxonH I got some questions for you. When do you think they will overhaul the Switch OS/drop the next firmware update and when do you reckon the next direct will be?

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

JaxonH

@DannyBoi
No idea on the first two, and that's assuming they do at all. Seems more and more likely the OS is basically finished. I wouldn't expect any other significant changes.

As for next Direct, February. They'll probably let Tokyo Mirage Sessions release, have its little window of attention, then around Valentine's Day, give or take, we'll see a Direct announced. Which will basically just reiterate the Fire Emblem expansion, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Animal Crossing, and give us an April/May release (probably Xenoblade) and a June/July release (probably Mario Golf or Pikmin 3). If Super Mario 3D World is coming, that'll likely get announced too, for "summer" which will really be Aug or Sept.

And that'll be it until e3. Then at e3, itll be a decent show with mostly brand new game announcements for the 2nd half of the year, but with a few titles shown that we've been waiting on like Bayonetta 3 and Zelda BotW 2.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

DannyBoi

@JaxonH There was that distrubution of update data maintence on jan 6th/7th. Nothing came of that. And there has been lots of maintence at the moment this month.

Ralizah

@JaxonH Honestly, I wanted to like the Steam Controller. I bought one as soon as it released. But I just can't abide the darn thing. The only real killer app it had was how customizable it was, and now any PS4, Xbone, or Switch pad is just as customizable.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

@DannyBoi The type of maintenance is important. The first maintenance we found out was due to problems regarding downloading the most recent update and "Online play for some software" just means a game is undergoing maintenance.

The most interesting ones are "Network Services" and "Purchasing and using passes" on January 21st. Maybe we'll get something then, maybe not.

As for general Direct, I was thinking January 30th or February 13th but after the Fire Emblem news I'm somewhat leaning towards April and Brain Training's NA release date along with a mobile game gets announced in the investors meeting.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I think everyone feels that way at first.

But once you learn how to load the configs on a game by game basis, tweak the sensitivities to be fast enough to turn around like mouse and keyboard but not so fast it's out of control, once you get gyro perfect... and most importantly once you practice with it enough to properly learn it... you realize how amazing it is.

Like, imagine someone who's never used keyboard and mouse, ever, suddenly trying kb/m. First reaction is gonna be "I cant do this, I'm performing way worse than with a controller". But those who learn it properly dominate.

I think same is true for Steam controller. Alot of the settings are trash. Sensitivities way to low where you have to repeatedly swipe to turn, or way too high. It should be where you can turn about 270 degrees with a full left to right swipe edit: or use acceleration so a full swipe only does 90 degrees but it keeps turning for a while until you tap to stop it. Learning to time the "swipe then tap" to land at a perfect 180 degree turn can mean complete 180 turns in a matter of milliseconds And then dial in the gyro, map actions to paddles (often I do left grip for crouch but hold it for prone, so I get 2 actions on one button, then normal accept on right grip, can play without ever lifting thumb from trackpad...

It just takes practice. That and learning the right settings and how to get them. Leveraging community configs and editing

Edited on by JaxonH

DannyBoi

@Grumblevolcano yeah, what is that purchasing and using passes maintence?

Magician

Octane wrote:

@Ralizah Were there any big Nintendo games in 2018?

Aside from SSBU, none really. And that was released so late in 2018 that it feels like a 2019 game. Anywho, 2020 will probably another port-heavy year like 2018 was. Nintendo is going to lean heavily on Animal Crossing to get them through the 2020 spring drought.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

DannyBoi

I have had enough of Nintendo and their stupid decisions with the switch! Probably sell mine and get a PS4. I'm sorry, but the Switch is being held back too much.It has been getting on for 3 years since the Switch launched and we still have to use a SODDING and worthless app to message friends. The Nintendo Switch Eshop is a pain in the backside to navigate and trying to find games is a nightmare! Nintendo, you need to get with the times and stop being different for the sake of being different. Being different only works if it makes something fun(such as mario or zelda) but a console this basic in functionalty just for the sake of being different is not fun. The nintendo Eshop is like the Google play store in terms of the rubbish that gets put on there!

Magician

DannyBoi wrote:

I have had enough of Nintendo and their stupid decisions with the switch! Probably sell mine and get a PS4. I'm sorry, but the Switch is being held back too much.It has been getting on for 3 years since the Switch launched and we still have to use a SODDING and worthless app to message friends. The Nintendo Switch Eshop is a pain in the backside to navigate and trying to find games is a nightmare! Nintendo, you need to get with the times and stop being different for the sake of being different. Being different only works if it makes something fun(such as mario or zelda) but a console this basic in functionalty just for the sake of being different is not fun. The nintendo Eshop is like the Google play store in terms of the rubbish that gets put on there!

Nintendo is fine with the Switch being a companion console.

They understand most core gamers have a PS4, Xbox, or PC as their primary platform.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

1UP_MARIO

@DannyBoi why not keep the switch and buy a PS4. I don’t know how much gaming time you have but I’m still going through the backlog on switch and not counting my other systems. The switch is doing fine

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

link3710

@DannyBoi Then sell it. Nintendo is never going to change their stance on OSes, if you care that much about having a powerful OS then you bought the wrong console.

link3710

DannyBoi

@link3710 Its not the OS so much that bothers me, as it is the lack of functionalty. No messaging on the console, no web browser, lack of external save backup(they essentialy put save backup behind a paywall:( )! Only two themes. And as for the onlineand Eshop, well....

link3710

@DannyBoi Those are all OS problems.

BTW, fair warning, the PS4 eshop is significantly worse than the Switch one. I've only once successfully made a purchase on my PS4, usually pages just completely fail to load so I can't even browse. It's also super slow even when it is working. Also, save backup is behind a paywall as well.

The only things they have that Switch doesn't of those are themes, a web browser (that's... basically unusable) and messaging (which is fine enough for what it is). Also, the online is better, but that's more do to far more people having their console wired instead of wireless rather than the system itself.

EDIT: To be clear on my biases, using both I actually prefer the Switch OS that does what it's supposed to as compared to the far more powerful PS4 OS that hampers my experience. Even stuff like screenshots and recordings are better on Switch IMO thanks to not requiring to go through menus and pausing the game to take them. It's really a case of grass is greener, cause both OSes aren't great.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

DannyBoi

@link3710 As far as I am aware, can't you backup save data on a flash drive on PS4? I may have seen that somewhere once.

link3710

@DannyBoi Just googled it and apparently it's a thing, I had no idea.

Still, if you want a good OS, go get an Xbox. They have a wonderful OS from when I've gotten to use it.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

DannyBoi

If Nintendo actually listened towhat the fans had to say, things would be much better with the Switch. But nintendo knows best.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic