Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 44,861 to 44,880 of 45,675

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I mean, it's plot-focused enough to get away from that harem fantasy thing a bit as it goes on, but it's... yeah, it's otaku pandering for sure. I don't mind Camilla quite as much: I prefer outright fanservice over this weird imouto fetishism, and the lady is at least built like an adult.

Everybody in the game is some really common anime trope, and I never feel like they grow into much of anything as time goes on. Three Houses has some one-note characters, but they still mostly feel like people, and they have layers to them.

I think the biggest thing I hold against Fates, though, is the huge focus on weapon forging and the My Castle elements of the game overall. They were a nuisance. The monastery might get a bit thin content-wise later on, but early game it's such a huge, great base full of so many different activities that all kind of co-exist nicely.

Ralizah

Grumblevolcano

@StableInvadeel Gaiden is NES.

I'm honestly surprised Japan NES Online hasn't got Gaiden yet but if that rumour about SNES being a more expensive tier of NSO ends up being true it seems very likely that NES will continue for plenty of months after SNES goes live.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Ralizah The issue is the front-heavy pacing of the game and the plot balance. The beginning of the game is loaded with the story, and it's all the "incest but not" stuff. As time goes on you spend hours in drawn out battles with relatively brief story interludes between. So while things get heavier (and pretty dark) later on, the story parts of that kind of breeze by while all you remember the characters for is the special together time you spend with your siblings..... even without petting them.

I almost 100% ignore forging (in most games for that matter) - it never interests me. But I do recall hating My Castle and all the resource management being a drag. I tried to ignore it best I could. I didn't really pay much attention to the base. The more "narrative" base of the Monastery definitely makes for a more inviting, realized world than the heavy resource management of the My Castle thing.

NEStalgia

redd214

Finally got the return shipping email for all my joycons 20 days later. Hope theyve fixed the drifting issues.

redd214

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah LOL. Note to self. Don't drink when reading Ralizah's thoughts on Fates. Although plus one to the Camilia at least not looking like a 10 year old. I will never understand the obsession with sleeping with little girls that the media portrays males to have.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ralizah

@Ryu_Niiyama lol I had a bet of sorts going with a friend of mine when details of TH first came out. Essentially, I said something to the effect of: "I hope they don't let you date your teenage students." Her response: "They totally will. You know they will." I was mostly right. You can date your students... at the end, I guess, when they're in their mid-twenties or so.

I've never been one of the "ZOMG get this dating crap out of my strategy game!" types RE: Fire Emblem, but I am glad they scaled back the dating elements in this latest entry. It was fine in Awakening when the matchmaking element had a clear and organic connection to the broader time travel story, but it was totally out-of-place in Fates, where they shoe-horned it in out of terror of straying too far from the Awakening playbook. I've always liked the increase social focus of Awakening/Fates, though, and TH doubles down on this in exactly the ways I'd like: by making the vast, vast majority of support convos non-romantic, there's a greater diversity of characterizations and relationships built between different characters. Some of the characters, even at their highest support levels, just seem to barely be able to tolerate eachother, which is great, because it's more realistic and adds more character to the game.

Putting aside the otaku crowd whose imouto fetishism this game is clearly targeting, I do think there is probably some truth to that (the 'media portraying men as wanting to sleep with little girls' thing you mentioned) insofar as it's not uncommon worldwide to see adult men either marry young girls or show an attraction toward youthful features in women. I'm sure there's a reason American smut producers boast about how the actresses in their features are "BARELY LEGAL." It'd be easy to concoct some pop evo. psy. just-so story to explain this, but, as with most things, I'm sure the actual explanation is more complex.

Granted, an "attraction to youthful features" is not the same thing as wanting to sleep with your 14 year old sister, and I certainly don't think that most, or even many, heterosexual men are billions of dollars and a few IQ points away from being little Jeffrey Epsteins. Also, and people really seem to miss this: just as there's a vast spectrum of gender expression, so is there a huge amount of diversity to the sort of things heterosexual men find attractive. Unfortunately, the media we consume only seems to acknowledge this by framing it in a sort of gross, fetishistic way, while doubling down on the portrayal of men as being predatory and preferring a few universal features in the women they court.

@NEStalgia Man, you can forge some absolutely insane +7 weapons in that game, though. And it unbalances things. All FE games (all modern ones, at least) have some sort of forging element to them, but they also cap it so that you aren't expected to build some uber-powerful weapons to stay alive during gimmicky, brutally difficult maps (yes, I'm still whining about Conquest).

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

JaxonH

I don’t recall any maps in Conquest being “gimmicky”. At least not in a negative sense.

People always complain about getting the same “route the enemy” maps with nothing special about them. No fog, no defend, no escape, etc, and the Conquest maps addressed that in wonderful fashion. I don’t mind criticisms of the story because the story deserves criticism. I don’t mind criticism of the whole incest thing (even though I think it’s overblown given you choose your own actions- if you’re not into incest don’t S rank your sibling, simple as that). And I definitely don’t mind criticism of the shoehorned time travel mechanic.

But I don’t have a single complaint about the maps in Conquest. To this day, that game proudly stands as the shining example of Fire Emblem maps done right, and that’s a hill I’ll die on. I was hoping Three Houses would have maps in the vein of Conquest, unfortunately the best we got was a single fog map. Maybe there’s one other in one of the other routes that I haven’t played yet, but I doubt it. Call it gimmicks, but I call it interesting maps that offer the kinds of unique challenges people are always saying they want in FE maps. Maybe hard mode was just unbalanced in general. I don’t think that’s the fault of the maps. Because the maps in Conquest Normal mode were the perfect difficulty for me. Unlike Three Houses, where the maps I struggled the most on were because I would get one shotted by the Death Knight in a counter, the maps I struggled the most with in Conquest were all due to unit positioning and choosing the right attack vectors in response.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Vita: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

Ralizah

Fair enough. Personally, I hope to never see pots full of poison, winds that constantly blow you around, or kitsune illusions ever again. I do, however, enjoy levels that are challenging due to their complex designs as opposed to one-off level gimmicks designed to apologize for the mediocrity of all the maps in the other game. Like Chapter 10, which I believe is the one where you have to hold off enemy units for a certain number of turns, and the level changes in subtle but also devastating ways as it goes on.

There's a middle-ground between wide-open fields and the Fire Emblem equivalent of Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels' annoying mechanics.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Grumblevolcano

I'm glad DQXI S got a long demo, 4 hours in and liking it a lot (I wouldn't have even tried the demo and found out it was good if it wasn't for the exclusive Smash spirit, gameplay in Directs and Treehouse wasn't enough to convince me). That said, it's likely not a day 1 purchase because of how insane September's lineup is.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DenDen

Yes im finaly 100% done with bloodstained.
Got all weapons armor, rings spells cheasures hp up mp up.
Food everything.
Only nightmire mode to go

Now playing
Switch : Astral Chain, Fire emblem tree Houses, Daemon X Machinema, (updated 14-09-19
Switch fc: SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

JaxonH

2 things.

1 Tetris 99 is really freaking fun. I can’t believe I wrote this game off when it first came out. It just looked so cheap and the whole battle royale things seemed like a gimmick. But after playing it to obtain the Fire Emblem Theme, I’m duly impressed. Duly. Impressed. (Btw the FE theme totally rocks, the music even has Beneath The Banner when you win, I couldn’t be happier!!!)

2 Fangamer is now accepting returns for Hollow Knight purchases before June 8th. Ship your game to them and they will replace it with copy from the new print run which contains the Godmaster DLC on the cartridge. Shipping came to $2.94 for me. That’s well worth it to upgrade to having all the DLC on the cart.

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH Cheese and crackers, I TOTALLY forgot that started today. Thanks for the reminder!

Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Oh ya, go get your theme! I wasnt interested in playing Tetris before, but as fun as Tetris 99 is (even against CPU) and as awesome as the FE theme is, especially with the killer music, I foresee many hours of jamming to some Fire Emblem Tetris in the days to come.

Fire Emblem themed Tetris. Every fan needs this in their library.

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

Tetris 99 was cool in the beginning but nowadays I just play enough to unlock themes as the grind gets dull after awhile.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

MarioLover92

Currently waiting for a Mario theme for Tetris 99! I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet, considering he's Nintendo's mascot. :/

Nintendo Life's (self-proclaimed) #1 Mario fan! Wahoo!

My Super Mario Maker 2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
Username: MarioFan92
Latest Level: Coin Mining (TYJ-6J9-BCG)

JaxonH

I greatly regret not getting the GameBoy and Splatoon themes now. I wasn’t even aware they existed until now. I wish I could go back and partake to get those themes because now I’ll probably never get them, as I doubt Nintendo will ever sell them on the eShop or offer as free DLC, or even re-run the event.

Boo.

That’s ok, I have my Fire Emblem, which is the best one I could have hoped for.

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

HobbitGamer

@JaxonH Maybe they’ll let us use Platinum points to get the themes in a few years 😂

Honestly, the themes are the reason I still like it. It goes along with the whole “choose how you play” thing for Switch. And yes, the FE then is awesome! I’ve got 41 points after three rounds, but I think I’ll do the rest tomorrow on the tv with my 8bitdo. Those joycon buttons are painful after a bit.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

JaxonH

@HobbitGamer
Oh ya? I played with the pro controller. I suppose the quick sliding movement of your thumb doesn’t glide across buttons as easily.

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic