Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 44,841 to 44,860 of 69,988

Cotillion

This thread is giving me a headache with all the misinformation coming from both sides.

Cotillion

JaxonH

Need some advice from those with experience concerning wireless earbuds and Nintendo Switch (if anyone here uses them).

Just ordered the Gulikit Bluetooth adapter for Switch. It plugs into the bottom USB-C port and is extremely low profile (smallest on the market I think). Includes an adapter for the dock so it can plug-in via USB-A also.

Ordered some Samsung Galaxy Buds but now learned they have lag, and do not support atpx (which apparently is a must if you want low latency audio on devices which don’t compensate for the lag via video synchronization, such as what you would see on a phone or tablet). The adapter supports it but the earbuds do not and I’m reading a whole bunch of reports of people all saying the same thing- lag.

And the consensus I seem to come across is to buy a pair of wireless earbuds which support atpx. Unfortunately, Apple AirPods don’t support it. Samsung Galaxy Buds don’t support it. Bose doesn’t support it. And I’m finding my choice is rather limited here. I see these have good reviews and support atpx, but are offbrand (I’ve never heard of them at least), and would prefer to get some feedback from someone who has wireless earbuds set up with their Switch, without experiencing lag, so I can follow their recommendations.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

GameOtaku

@JaxonH
They could just do like everyone else in the market is doing if a problem arises they can always patch later. Sony has crossbuy, I bought a vita after having a psp opened up the shop and BAM! I could redownload practically anything I purchased prior since it was on my account. It honestly should be that easy. It irratates me so much that we could have a massive library of classic games to buy and play whenever we want and they are just sitting on it. To make matters even more infuriating they have the gall to say they listen to consumers while doing nothing to leviate the problem. Illegal emu is bad for their bottom line? Then make the games available! It's not rocket science! I don't know about you but buying the same game over and over is just stupid! With digital (as most everyone around here harps it's the future) it should be far more simple.

GameOtaku

JaxonH

@GameOtaku
Sony hasn’t had “crossbuy” for years. And even when they did, not a single PSone, PS2 or PSP game was made available on PS4 under the program. Even your shining example is case in point of the reality of the situation.

It’s something they briefly experimented with and it was cool when they did it, but it was completely voluntary as a way to try to sell their product. Not as a “we owe this to everyone and must oblige”. And again it never applied to their virtual console games this generation.

You can talk about what it “should be” till you’re blue in the face, but at the end of the day you’re not persuading anyone here because we all understand the differences between platforms such as mobile/PC where things transfer over without any extra work, and video game consoles where every new generation has a brand new operating system and everything has to be redone from scratch.

You’re welcome to feel however you want, but I suspect you won’t get much empathy with arguments based on “it should because”. There are valid reasons it is not the case, and it is completely unreasonable to expect them to re-develop and port games over and over for decades on end, in perpetuity, just because you think “it should because”.

If and when the day comes that dedicated gaming devices achieve cross-generational software environments (and I don’t necessarily agree that is something they should strive for- as it could easily result in holding back progress for the sake of parity), we can revisit this issue, and I’ll stand right there beside you and agree it needs to happen. But today is not that day.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

Okay, what the heck is Capcom's deal. DMC Trilogy is coming out physical great. It only has the first game, which sucks. But DMC1 is 9.1GB, and DMC2 is 1.8GB. They literally have the room on the cart for it without any cost to themselves, what's going on? This isn't even saving them any money at this point.

link3710

DenDen

Cotillion wrote:

This thread is giving me a headache with all the misinformation coming from both sides.

Same haha

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 It's because including more than 1 game on a cart would require there to be an overall UI. Having only DMC1 on a cart means it's identical to the eshop versions.

Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection for example seems to be all on the cart in NA (there's no download banner like there was for Starlink) so you'll have an overall UI that allows you to select a game from the collection.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GameOtaku

@JaxonH
If the PS5 rumors are true then it will have BC with all past gens. So I could see crossbuy coming back.

The VC games aren't ports. They are emulated. All they need is an emulator (they can update them afterall) to play the games. I'd only concede that we may have to buy the emulation program itself each gen but the games themselves shouldn't since you already own them much like my nes/retron example. I had to buy the console but not the games.

GameOtaku

klingki

So now that The Touryst is out, it looks like the next up "remember me?" indie is Pine. I'm pretty interested to see what the consensus is on that one.

klingki

GeeEmm

@klingki

Played a few minutes of Pine. Can’t comment on the gameplay just yet, but I will say that the load times are horrendous. Hopefully they fix this because it’s a bit of a turn off at the moment.

GeeEmm

link3710

@Grumblevolcano No it doesn't. I have Child of Light / Valient Hearts on cart, and there are two separate icons on the home menu, one for each game. I've heard of other titles like that too.

link3710

Monkeido

@link3710 This really makes me wonder how many people post things "they think make sense" as facts, instead of them actually knowing for sure.

Monkeido

NEStalgia

@link3710 That's actually pretty cool/weird. I wouldn't have thought there'd be the ability to have multiple actual software units on one cart that the OS recognizes. On most other platforms it doesn't work that way, there's a launcher like Grumble said for multi-pack games.

@monkeido Hello, welcome to Interent. Is this your first visit?

NEStalgia

Monkeido

NEStalgia wrote:

@monkeido Hello, welcome to Interent. Is this your first visit?

@NEStalgia I haven't heard of this "Interent". But thanks for response, never seen that one before on the internet.

Monkeido

JaxonH

link3710 wrote:

@Grumblevolcano No it doesn't. I have Child of Light / Valient Hearts on cart, and there are two separate icons on the home menu, one for each game. I've heard of other titles like that too.

Trine Collection 1-3 is like that too. And several others actually.

@GameOtaku
It’s not just dumping roms on emulators, that might be what hackers do but that’s not what Nintendo does, or what Sega does. They not only port the emulator but they do indeed have to get each game running and individually tweaked to achieve peak performance. Again, we observe this not only with the immaculate quality compared to commercial emulators which have had tens of thousands of man hours poured into them, but also the timing between releases such as with Sega Ages. Required work is why all VC takes so long between titles. Not to mention different platforms have different emulators and different special chips for that emulator on top of all the games having to be tweaked to individually achieve peak performance, not to mention any added features and rewind and save states, filters, etc. I’m not here to debate how much work it takes, because I don’t know how much work it takes and neither do you, I’m simply saying it does in fact take work, beyond the initial emulator. And given the frequency of releases for Sega Ages and other retro repackaging, we can form a reasonable estimate which is well beyond “no work at all”.

It’s just a point of fact that it takes work for each and every game. It’s a point of fact the quality of the releases are a cut above that of your local neighborhood emulator. And until the day comes where it doesn’t require work, it’s not expected. The only way you’re getting BC on consoles is if the manufacturer thinks it can help push units out the door. And even then count yourself fortunate for the privilege.

Alien Isolation looking to be a downright immaculate Switch release. Oh. And 1080p docked / 720p handheld. No sound compression. No cutscene video compression.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

The next spirit event for Smash is Resident Evil:

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Cotillion

@JaxonH They aren't modifying roms. Yes, some games have compatibility issues, but the tweaking is done on the emulator itself, which is acting as the hardware.
Mario Bros. is the exact same rom whether you play it on Wii, Wii U, Switch or within Animal Crossing. Its the emulator that differs. The most clear cut example of this is the SNES mini. You can add ROMs to it and that's all it takes. If it was designed to run on the SNES, it will run. No new emulator or modifications to the emulator needed. You can literally dump hundreds of SNES ROMs onto it and they work as they originally did (save for the ones that have specialized chips the emulator may not have been designed for like Cx4, which it probably doesn't do given the abscence of Megaman X2 and 3).
All extra features like rewind, save states, fixing slowdown, scanlines and such are again part of the emulator, not the game ROM itself. Once they work on one game, they work on all of them.
I'm not saying it doesn't take work, but all the work is indeed on the emulator itself.

They must have their reasons for not releasing more, but individual work on each game isn't it. It's already been done where, through hacking to gain access to the NES Online service files, you can add as many games as you want to the NES Online library on your Switch and they all work just as well as what Nintendo is providing. Hasn't happened yet for the SNES Online yet as far as I'm aware, but I'm sure it will.

Except, very rarely do the roms get modified or touched at all. I think a couple Sega Ages ones had modern elements added and QoL stuff done to them, but this is few and far between that retro ROMs get this or any kind of work.

Cotillion

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic