Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 44,821 to 44,840 of 45,729

gcunit

NEStalgia wrote:

I put it on full casual/easy just to blast through it and it still felt like a tedious chore.

I've not played any Fates yet, but in general blasting through a game on casual is not really giving it a fair crack, is it? Less likely to feel tedious if you are pushed to thinking strategically, I'd have thought.

@DenDen Bought it on a whim. I'd heard it's good and saw the special edition going cheaply. It's not the fanciest of editions, but I'm a sucka for an obscure t-shirt and art book.

Edited on by gcunit

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Like all Emblems with the option, I played Birthright/Conqest on Classic/Hard. One thing I'll say about Conquest is that it almost killed me on that difficulty. That is a BRUTAL game if you dial up the difficulty, whereas Birthright is somehow easier than Awakening.

Birthright still managed to be the better experience, though, because the writing in Conquest is just the dumbest thing ever, man. It's so, so bad.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

link3710

Astral Chain got a 37 (I say several pages later)? That just confirms my suspicions that it's looking like a runner for game of the year. Nintendo's going strong this year, SMM2 + Fire Emblem + Astral Chain + Luigi's Mansion 3 is looking like one of their top annual lineups, even if nothing will quite match Splatoon 2 + BotW, +Odyssey + XC2

link3710

Grumblevolcano

So I checked out the DQXI S demo because of the exclusive Smash Ultimate spirit and it's reminding me a lot of Pokemon Sword/Shield. The Heliodor region looks a lot like the Wild Area shown in Directs.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia (I like Fates...mostly...y'all act like FE stories are Pulitzer winning or something.) I never got on the Fates hatewagon. Do I think they might have stretched a little too much trying to keep the stories separate? Yes, however I feel like that was in part because they spent WAY too much time trying to make Kamui's heritage THE REVEAL than needed. Otherwise it wasn't better or worse than any other FE imo. I'm sure I'ma get shot for saying that but I've played all of them and beaten all of them except Thracia 766 at least once. So that is just how I feel about it personally.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Heavyarms55

@Ryu_Niiyama I agree, I liked Fates too. It wasn't nearly as good as Awakening, and certainly not as good as older FE titles, but I had fun with it. There hasn't been a Fire Emblem title I've thought was bad - though I've only played the ones with official English localization, and FE6. There are things I don't like in various games but it's that way with almost any game.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

Heavyarms55

@link3710 Yeah Splatoon 2 + BotW, +Odyssey + XC2 was kinda mind blowing to get all in the same time frame.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

Ralizah

Warming up to the new Yooka-Laylee game more and more every time I see it. Reminds me of NSMBU (mainly because of the world map), but with level design more reminiscent of DKC: Tropical Freeze. And, hell, let's throw in a dash of BotW as well, because apparently you can go challenge the final level you spend the whole game preparing the face and just beat the game right off if you're skilled enough.

Ralizah

JaxonH

Aside from Fates story being dull in Birthright, it’s one of my favorites (under Awakening and Three Houses, of course). Everything else about the game was spectacular. The maps and strategy in particular. Gameplay was the pinnacle of the handheld series. And dare I say even rivaled Three Houses, though it was pretty different. Both great in their own way. Conquest is where all the good maps were though. Some of the best maps in the series were in Conquest.

I treasure my 3-in-1 cartridge. Still sealed on display, and an open one on the shelf for actual use with all my save files copied over to it (since it had 9 save files- 3 per game).

And I’m loving the new Yooka-Laylee. It reminds me of DKC Tropical Freeze Top. Classic Rare platforming built for speedrunning. Love the idea of challenging the Impossible Lair right away.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Vita: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

Magician

Dev893 wrote:

A bunch of new SKUs have been spotted in GameStop's internal system.
https://nintendoeverything.com/new-wave-of-unspecified-switch...
September Direct, anyone?

I seriously hope not. My wallet begs for mercy.

Switch Physical Collection - 412 games (as of September 20th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dead or School (Switch) Sly Cooper (PS Vita)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

link3710

September directs are inevitable, so if the SKUs are for anything else I'd be hugely surprised. I'd expect most of them to be mostly for December to March though at least, since that period is currently empty and we won't get another full direct til next year most likely. Please no more September / October releases, this is way out of hand already.

And since we're on the topic of Yooka-Laylee, I'm so glad to see the IP might manage to turn things around. It had a lot of potential with the first game (though it really needs to tighten up it's identity), so a top notch game for the series would be great.

link3710

JaxonH

DKC was always the masterpiece, not 64. The 2D classics hold up much better than the 3D ones

With that in mind, this new Yooka-Laylee looks like it could achieve masterpiece status. It has the potential to chase DKC Tropical Freeze. The original 3D Yooka-Laylee was just a decent nastolgia trip, but never came close to masterpiece status.

2D platformers is where their focus should remain going forward.

edit
Kotaku has a really high quality review of Oninaki. The first video on the page is a video review of what’s written on the page, and I do recommend it.

https://kotaku.com/oninaki-the-kotaku-review-1837427492

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Vita: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

NintendoByNature

Pretty pumped for yooka 2 myself. Might choose that over a hat in time if they both drop around the same time

NintendoByNature

link3710

@JaxonH I'd like to see them tackle 3D with Yooka Laylee again someday. We hardly get any 3D platformers at all these days, so I'll take what I can get. But perhaps a trilogy of 2D games before the next attempt at 3D?

I'd love a new Sly Cooper or Ty the Tasmanian Tiger or Banjo-Kazooie too, but for various reasons none of those are likely to ever happen.

link3710

gcunit

@link3710 A new Ty would seem perfectly possible if the remastered version sells well enough, no?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

link3710

@gcunit Yeah, it's the most likely, no doubt. But the whole reason their having to kickstart the remaster is because Krome has no money (EA was the ones who funded and made most of the money off the original releases, so it's not like Krome's ever had the money to finance their own titles). Krome was basically broke only a couple years ago. They're recovering but... it's going to take a little luck to get a new 3D platformer from them, possibly including finding a publisher to back them financially.

Or maybe the remaster will sell enough to finance it, can't act like I actually have a clue what their finances are like beyond what they say in interviews.

link3710

NEStalgia

@Ralizah @JaxonH @Ryu_Niiyama Coming at FE as a non hardcore fan, everything about Fates was just a miss to me. The story got butchred to split it the way they did, so much of it felt so forced, uninteresting, contrived, and generally awkward. Half of it felt like an excuse to incorporate as much simulated incest as possible, and it went sooooo deep into the Dragon/magic lore of its own that it kind of lost the whole "saga of clashing armies" that defines FE's feeling. The whole time it felt like none of the events actually should be happening. The first 9000 hours I wanted to break through the forth wall and strangle my hero for still not figuring out what side is what, I still can't figure out why Nohr was a civilization consisting only of goths and goth-lollis with an air of overt sinister design and nature, and 100% dark magic users, yet the entire royal family seemed completely unaware of any evil intent or that the king was seriously massively off his rocker and seemed much more interested in bedding their step-sibling than why a kingdom full of dark mage wyvern riders in imposing black death-like garb is following a king to every insane decision ever, and a bunch seemingly lucent royals and commanders seem unaware of what's going on and are entirely unable to attempt to communicate this. You can't buy that kind of stupidity.

Story contrivance gave way to two other problems. Birthright battles were simply boring as all getup (and went on and on too long) on all flat square grids. And Conquest battles and maps were so overwhelmingly difficult, while it might be the "best iteration ever" for the super hardcore who live, sleep and breathe FE, like JaxonH and a large Japan audience, it was effectively unplayable for us casuals. (I just pressed through it on easy just to see it....and the story wasn't really worth it.) Birthright at least I could play, but battles were not nearly as engaging as Awakening was, which really let it down.

I think if you're a super-hardcore FE fan, you'll have fond memories of Conquest for it's ultra-challenging maps. But if you're not on that level with FE there's not going to be very much for anyone else to like compared to most other entries that strike a much better balance, with a much more coherent story, without trying to shoehorn the game into 3 SKUs.

NEStalgia

LetsGoSwitch

Cant wait for Fuze 4 on Switch! Coding and sharing on the switch will be great. However, I either get this or Dragon Quest in September. My wallet begs for mercy!

LetsGoSwitch

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic