Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 44,701 to 44,720 of 45,646

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I think that's fine. Even if you never played it undocked at all, if you're playing the way you're comfortable with, then you're Switching right.

@Tsurii Additionally, here's undocked footage, which, as usual, is always the big question when it comes to demanding Switch games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

BlueOcean

NEStalgia wrote:

@BlueOcean It's a little funny that you like handhelds but prefer playing on TV because it's more immersive...and you still don't want a dockable Switch It's like it was meant just for you

I've always preferred TV gaming and it doesn't make me dislike portable gaming. My handheld collection: GBC (sold), GBA (sold), GBA SP (kept), DS (sold), 3DS (sold), 3DS XL (sold), New 3DS (kept and used weekly).

I like handheld consoles and the New 3DS is my favourite one and yes I said that I want the Switch Lite (it has a D-pad and it's much lighter) but I prefer playing on the TV. I know that it might seem contradictory because the normal Switch can do both things but it's not because the games I want to play on TV are games like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon, Ori and the Blind Forest... which I get on Xbox One X while typically the Switch games look better on the console's screen because of the low resolution and the Switch's screen is decent enough. Also, I hate the joy-cons.

NEStalgia wrote:

I have certain games I designate as good handheld games and tend to put them in Switch and certain games I tend to designate as good TV games

This is the same for me more or less, I could play Nintendo games and puzzle games on Switch but I wouldn't play games like Final Fantasy, Ori and the Blind Forest or Resident Evil on Switch. Actually, I got Resident Evil Revelations for 3DS when it was released and then I got the Wii U version... and then the Xbox version.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

BlueOcean

@Ralizah Cool, I was not trying to argue either, just saying that for me playing on the TV is best and tethering is usually not a problem. Peace.

Talking about The Witcher 3

The Witcher 3 running on Switch with CD Project's feedback, very interesting video.

BlueOcean

RedderRugfish

I like portable systems and can see why many people love the portability of the Switch, but I almost never take my Switch off the dock. Even if I put it in a case or a backpack, it just doesn't feel like a very convenient travel companion to me due to the large size of it and the very short battery life (though it seems they've rectified that recently). When I'm traveling and want to take a game system with me, I instead reach for my 3DS or GBA. It also doesn't help that I don't find the Switch's form factor to be very good either, especially compared to the very comfy pro controller.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

BlueOcean

@RedderRugfish In my opinion, the regular Switch is not good without a pro controller and it's huge as a handheld console and the joy-cons are awful. The New 3DS is perfect as a handheld. I'd love to try the Switch Lite before buying it just to see if it's nice to hold and use and of course wait for some Youtuber to tear it down and check the stick modules.

I've always thought that the Switch was on a middle ground and stuck halfway between a solid home console and a convenient handheld console which was, ironically, a risky and bold move. It's like they were testing the waters and asking consumers where do we go from Wii U even though they've always been successful in the handheld consoles market. It was also their first console without backwards compatibility in many years.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

JaxonH

Wow. Witcher 3 is looking way better than it has any right to on Switch. I’m totally digging it. It’s like, they actually retextured everything to suit the system rather than just tank resolution. I can’t believe I’m gonna be playing that game at work, propped up in tabletop with detached controllers (something no handheld has ever been able to offer until now).

Heck, I can’t believe I’m gonna be playing Ori on Switch. The thrill of having that game on handheld is palpable, but I already have that on GPD Win 2. Having games on handheld isn’t really the appeal of Switch. Because I don’t really like games that are stuck on handheld anymore than I like games that are stuck on a TV. I need both at the same time with the freedom to choose whenever I want. And that’s why I Ori on switch is far more exciting than just having it on handheld (which I already have on Win2) or just having it on TV (which I already have with X1X/PC).

Torchlight 2 is hype also. Saw that one’s already up for preload. As is Witcher 3. Already downloading as we speak.

As for Hotline Miami, i’m not sure that game is for me. I hear all the Vita fans rave about it, but I watched a trailer and... I don’t think I’m feeling it.

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Vita: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

Grumblevolcano

@BlueOcean It wasn't that risky, Nintendo marketed the Switch as a Wii U successor that could be played anywhere (even though its more like the opposite, a handheld that could be connected to the TV) so that the outcomes were:

• If it failed then Nintendo would've continued the 3DS line (e.g. HDS)
  • If it succeeded then it would replace both the Wii U and 3DS where the latter is replaced by a handheld only Switch which we now know is the Switch Lite

If Nintendo marketed the Switch as a handheld you can dock then it would've been risky because it could've failed and ruined the momentum 3DS had.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BlueOcean

@Grumblevolcano Doing both things at the same time is safe on paper. What I meant is that making a console that is not a powerful home console and it's a clunky handheld console with poor battery life was ironically risky because you are not doing any of the two things that you wanted to do perfectly fine. Whatever the reception was they could do something else like they did with poor good Wii U that they abandoned early on. I agree with you that if Switch had failed they would have prepare 4DS.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean metroidvanias like ori, and 2d platformers in general i tend to prefer handheld.... Much more likely to pick up and play. Witcher on the other hand just feels wholly console to me...i have no problem keeping that as x1 only... I'd only play docked anyway. Dqxi however, i thought I'd want to stick to the prettier ps4 pro version, but since switch has the definitive version including 16 bit mode, it's no contest.

NEStalgia

NintendoByNature

Im still struggling to understand what the witcher 3 is. I've seen gameplay, I've read thats it's action rpg.. But what is the plot is and what you're supposed to do. Any one mind explaining to me?

NintendoByNature

BlueOcean

@NEStalgia I appreciate what CD Projekt has done here on Switch but I also believe that the game is better played on Xbox One X. By the way, I finally beat every single (final versions) Kingdom Hearts game including the Nintendo DS games so I'm ready for Kingdom Hearts III...

I am so disappointed that the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI is not leaving Japan in spite of the game having an English localisation but at least the 16 bit mode has been duplicated on Switch.

BlueOcean

BlueOcean

@NintendoByNature It's the favourite game of one of my friends. It's a well-crafted and balanced RPG where magic is the main focus.

BlueOcean

rallydefault

Yea, the 3DS would have had to be Nintendo's savior if Switch failed. Although I kinda think Nintendo would have gone 3rd party if the Switch bombed. I think they would have given the Switch about 2 years if it was failing before packing it in. Two failed consoles in a row is tough to come back from, even if you do have a successful (but fading) handheld system.

But, thankfully, that's not what happened!

rallydefault

BlueOcean

@rallydefault I also believe that becoming software-only is one thing that Nintendo has considered a few times. On the one hand they wouldn't make consoles and some people hate that idea, on the other hand they would become the most important independent publisher and software sales would be higher if games were available on PC/Xbox/PS.

BlueOcean

Heavyarms55

@RedderRugfish I agree that it is less portable than something like the GBA or 3DS, but I still love taking it with me and do so frequently. Pretty much any time I go out and expect to have more than a couple minutes and a place to sit down I bring it. I love the larger screen. After having used the Switch for a couple years now, I actually find it more uncomfortable going back to the smaller, dimmer GBA and 3DS screens. It doesn't help that I am so near sighted now that I either have to hold the GBA/3DS right up to my face, or wear my glasses and hold it as far from my face as a computer monitor...

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

JaxonH

One more map in Fire Emblem. Hopefully can finish the 2nd branching path before Astral Chain drops. Got about a week and a half to finish a second playthrough, albeit a half playthrough (saved before the split).

Tried playing Witcher 3 on X1, never got more than a few hours into it. Looked great, but there's little point if I'm never actually gonna play it.

Switch version though? Goodbuy life. I'll still play docked 75% of the time. But it's that 25% that'll keep me interested. That's what happens every single time I play a console only game. Start game. Play for an hour or two. Leave. Take Switch with me. Play Switch game. Come home. Dock Switch and continue playing. Never touch console only game again.

@NintendoByNature
Open world western fantasy RPG. You play as Geralt, the Witcher, who is a certified monster hunter/slayer. Think epic fantasy revolving around this character, in a huge, vibrant world with some of the best world building and dialog you'll ever experience. Even Gwent, a card game within the game that you can play at taverns, is like a full game in itself. People devote hundreds of hrs just to that. The game is massive, and the world and characters are the star of the show. Very story driven game. There’s also 2 really solid expansions, stand-alone at that. Blood & Wine expansion scored 10/10 across the board on its release. And both expansions are included in this release, and on the cartridge (full 32gb cart with everything on it, expansions and all- they put other devs to shame).

Think Skyrim but better in practically every aspect. And though I have criticized the combat of The Witcher 3, the combat is still miles beyond Skyrim. Definitely a game everyone should play. Only reason I never played more is... well... you know. If it isnt hybrid it's hard to keep me interested. No fault of the game, of course.

It is considered one of the best games of the generation and has won as many awards as Breath of the Wild. Definitely a huge win to have on a hybrid system.

edit
Also, pertaining to Nintendo going 3rd party.

If the day ever comes they decide they only want to make power consoles... I wouldn’t care if they went third-party. Because at that point, there is no point to have a separate system. May as well just put their games on a different console and save on online sub fees from multiple systems, and have competent online, etc.

But as long as they are making awesome hardware like Nintendo Switch? I’d rather see pretty much anyone else go third-party before I see Nintendo. They are literally the only company left making hardware that actually suits me. I can just use a PC if I want powerful graphics on the TV. But there is no substitute for the Nintendo Switch. I just hope to God they don’t change their approach next generation. I hope they stick with the hybrid concept for the rest of my natural life. Of course I know they won’t, and they’ve already made statements which suggest they are going to do something different next generation. That’s why am stockpiling on hybrid games now because this may be the only system ever released that can do what it does.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Galarian_Lassie

Nintendo still makes a ton of money off hardware alone! Whether through profit from the console alone, online subscriptions, cuts from the revenue of third party games, etc. They’re not still in the console race, because “people would hate (it if they left)”, but because it makes lots of money.

I’m sure whatever money is lost from not releasing their games on multiple platforms is more than made up by being a console manufacturer and all the perks that come with that.

Where am I going! Nowhere, unless if I say otherwise!

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH @BlueOcean thanks guys. Seems like I'd be interested. Loved botw and it sounds like this is right around the same style. Plus, That 32gb cart is something to behold. Kudos to those guys. I just hope I can find the time if i nab it. Luigis mansion, yooka laylee and hat in time all are in October too. Considering re triple pack too

NintendoByNature

BlueOcean

@NintendoByNature No problem. The game is great but I forgot to mention an important thing so everybody is aware, it's a mature game (PEGI 18).

In the UK and Europe, PEGI rates The Witcher 3 as only appropriate for those aged 18 and older for extreme violence, violence towards defenceless people, and strong language.

The GRA expands on its PEGI details by explaining that the game “features very frequent gory violence”, with Geralt able to “dismember, decapitate, disembowel and cut his enemies in half during gameplay combat”. There are also gory scenes such as “a raven burrowing into a man’s eye socket and bursting from the back of his shattered skull, a man’s face melting and sizzling after being struck by a fire spell, men being gored by bears and more.

https://www.askaboutgames.com/parents-guide-to-the-witcher-3-...

BlueOcean

JaxonH

Pencil in another September release.

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered releases September 3rd

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic