Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 44,701 to 44,720 of 69,962

JaxonH

@Zuljaras
Yikes. I’ve got some friends in UK and Italy who I’ve shipped to because they said the same thing. They’d get dinged on customs. Kinda sucks. Makes me feel blessed that I can import from anywhere in the world and not only do I not pay customs taxes, I actually get a 20% discount because I don’t have to pay the local VAT or whatever.

There’s always those shipping forwarding services you could look into. I used to use Tenso for Japan imports back when Amiibo was all the rage and Amazon JP would block purchases outside of Japan. You’re going to pay a little extra but, maybe it turns out to be less than what you would pay with customs taxes. I have no idea who to recommend for a shipping forwarding service from the US but I’m sure you could Google it

edit
I just can’t get enough of Trials Rising. This is the game I have come back to the most this generation. I beat it all the way through on Switch (except Inferno V and the Ninja tracks) then unlocked everything all over again on my Lite, since cloud saves aren’t supported ( thankfully your user profile still carries over so the level requirements had already been met and I just had to beat Stadiums to unlock all the leagues), and now I’m playing it through a third time on the Xbox One X. I wanted to have all the tracks available on a system where I could use analog triggers. And the game looks better too, though not as much is you would expect. Now that I’ve played both I can say that Switch is a perfectly viable option. But if you’re going for competitive leaderboards the analog triggers do make sticking sharp incline landings a bit easier. I did manage to do it all on Switch with the analog stick. But the triggers are definitely preferable

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

klingki

I live in South Korea and frequently order stuff from both Amazon US and Amazon JP. Shipping is usually around $5 to $8, and there are no import fees as long as my total order price is below approximately $150. The import fees thing is just South Korea's law I think, so those amounts might vary for other countries, but I think the shipping cost is universal. As long as you're ordering from Amazon directly (or from a seller that is fulfilled by Amazon), it will be shipped using Amazon's Global Shipping program, and it will be cheap. Though of course you'll see the shipping costs before you finalize your order, so always double check before submitting.

The major drag for me is that about 3 months ago, Amazon US stopped allowing most Nintendo-published Switch games to be shipped to Korea. I'm not sure why, when I contacted Amazon about it, they said it could either be a change in Korea's laws, or it could be Nintendo blocking it. Since third-party games can still ship here fine, I'm gonna point the finger at Nintendo. I hope they stop this limitation soon. I managed to get Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Astral Chain, but there are so many more games on my wishlist, and I am missing out on Black Friday sales on them.

klingki

JaxonH

Who was looking at joining the 1TB card club? I can’t remember.

It’s down to $300 which is still a ridiculous sum but, $130 cheaper than MSRP. Cheaper than I got mine for at $330.

1TB Micro SD $299

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH can't afford that big daddy but I did check out a 256 and 400gb. 256 lexar is only $31 and the 400 is about $50. Might wait to see what's up for black Friday though.

NintendoByNature

Magician

NintendoByNature wrote:

@Grumblevolcano nice, I'm excited to see what gets nominated on the Nintendo front

I figure Smash Bros. Ultimate is a shoe-in for Best Fighting Game. Everything else Nintendo has released these past twelve months has been an 8/10. Fire Emblem: TH may get a nomination for Best Strategy game, but Sega's Total War series usually dominates that category. Astral Chain? I'd say a Best Art Direction nomination is a given.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

IceClimbers

Was there a "Best DLC Expansion" category last year? If there's one this year I could see the Fighters Pass getting a nomination.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

NintendoByNature

@Magician smash for sure. Wondering if astral gets any recognition. Same with mario Maker 2. Fire emblem will prob get best strategy game.

NintendoByNature

1UP_MARIO

MyNintendo has its second physical reward in Europe. 3 posters. It also has a prize draw to enter for a chance for a Snes classic mini and more

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers There's a "Best Ongoing game" category which contains both free content update games and expansion games.

If Smash gets plenty of nominations, I think this may be the first time a December game hasn't been forgotten about in terms of awards.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Magician

A little over three hours until the Game Award nominees are announced.

Edited on by Magician

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Grumblevolcano

On the Nintendo front you have:
Smash Ultimate - GotY, Best Fighting Game, Best Family Game
Tetris 99 - Best Multiplayer Game
Yoshi's Crafted World - Best Family Game
Cadence of Hyrule - Best Score/Music
Super Mario Maker 2 - Best Family Game
Fire Emblem Three Houses - Best Strategy Game
Astral Chain - Best Action Game
Link's Awakening - Best Art Direction, Best Action/Adventure Game
Ring Fit Adventure - Best Family Game
Luigi's Mansion 3 - Best Family Game

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Magician

Most of the games nominated for Best Family Game are solo affairs.

The co-op portion in Luigi's Mansion 3 might be the winner there.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 wrote:

BlueBlur101 wrote:

GOTY is totally going to Death Stranding anyway calling it

Because Kojima

This is a dumb call, its not even that level of critically acclaimed. Metacritic literally says its the 26th best rated PS4 game of this year. There are 25 games released in 2019 that scored better than it on just one console.

SO GUESS WHO WAS ENTIRELY WRONG

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

link3710

@Magician As much as I think LM3 is probably a better family game than Smash (though Smash is the better game overall), I have my doubts that Smash will lose any category it's in. I mean, I haven't gotten to play Samurai Showdown (yet) or Dead or Alive 6, but I have my doubts either stands a chance against that monster.

GOTY going to Death Stranding seems inevitable though.

EDIT: Speaking of Samurai Shodown though, anyone know why Nintendo took down their announcement trailer?

Edited on by link3710

link3710

gcunit

What's the deal with the play activity log when one user account uses multiple Switches?

On my newer Switch the log shows my total play time for FIFA 18 across both devices, but with Smash it seems to be splitting the time between devices. Though I've not used my older Switch much since getting the v2, so maybe I need to play Smash on that again (cos I think I've done that with FIFA) to get the logs to sync...?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

The GotY awards for 2019 can’t be taken seriously.

If an award show is going to truly represent the best video games that are releasing, they have to understand what the best games are, and what is regarded as the best games by the consensus of players. Control and Death Stranding have no business being in that category.

I have both games, and I honestly think they are both good games, but not GotY material games. I liked Quantum Break, but it wasn’t GotY. That’s like putting Yoshi’s Crafted World up for GotY. I’m struggling to understand how Control was nominated and not Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, DMC5 or Jedi Fallen Order. Death Stranding as well. I liked everything about that game except the gameplay, which was just... not good, to be perfectly blunt. Everything else about the game is good enough that I’d still say it’s a good game overall but again, not GotY material.

Jedi Fallen Order, DMC5, Fire Emblem and Astral Chain all scored higher and are all better games than those two by consensus (and imo). I’m not saying they should win necessarily, but they should’ve been the ones nominated instead of Control and Death Stranding. I take no issue with the other four.

If there was any doubt these game awards do not represent us as gamers, that doubt is surely put to rest now. Jeff Keighly is in the game, for goodness sakes. And sure enough, it gets more nominations than any other game, even for GotY, despite countless other games being better rated and better received. He can argue that his bias had no effect on the outcome, but I don’t think anyone is buying it. I’m certainly not. I think it should probably win at least one or two other categories but, not GotY.

And then, they put DLC on the award list with Monster Hunter, yet completely skip over Dragon Quest XI S, just like they skipped over Xenoblade 2. It’s a recurring trend with these awards. They favor realism and graphics over the net result of how great the game is overall.

I honestly don’t know what my GotY is. But I know it’s not any of the ones nominated, not even Smash.

JaxonH

@gcunit
Not sure, but I’ve noticed the same thing. I think each system keeps a separate count of how much you played on that system, but then again there are a few games that share the play time between the systems so I really don’t know.

RR529

@JaxonH, Dragon Quest XI S wasn't eligable because while it does have a bunch of new bells & whistles, it's ultimately a re-release and as such isn't considered a new release.

Ports & HD remasters can't be nominated (though the first few years they did have a remaster category, not sure why they dropped it), though full on remakes like RE2 & Link's Awakening can be.

EDIT: Jedi Fallen Order may have released after the cut off date, so it may be eligable next year.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic