Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 44,521 to 44,540 of 69,962

link3710

@Grumblevolcano What about Hollow Knight: Silksong and The Elder Scrolls: Blades? Weren't those both in older directs? Or am I misremembering?

And yeah, that's pretty impressive honestly. It's not because games aren't coming to Switch either, cause there's probably 60 known titles coming without release dates, they've just been making certain to advertise the ones with fairly certain release dates.

EDIT: Also, was Dauntless ever in a direct? I don't remember now.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 Those 3 were E3 2019. E3 2019 has quite a lot of 3rd party games with no release date though E3 was only 5 months ago.

@IceClimbers I wasn't as it's harder to find concrete info on.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ryu_Niiyama

@Magician What games are you importing?

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Magician

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

@Magician What games are you importing?

ESP Ra.De. for sure. I love the shmups Cave made, so I'm happy to see M2 begin porting them to the Switch. If ESP Ra.De. sells well, hopefully Guwange will be next. After that is Obakeidoro, which looks like another asynchronous multiplayer game, similar to Friday the 13th or Dead By Daylight. And the last for-sure purchase is Is It Wrong To Try To Pickup Girls In A Dungeon, which looks like nothing more than a glorified mobile port. However, I'm a fan of rpg games of any variety, so I'm intrigued.

After that are several that I'm 50/50 on purchasing, whether due to genre or English support having not been confirmed.

BQM Blockquest Maker? An average dungeon crawler. Waiting for a discount on that one.
Headliner: Novinews? English support not confirmed.
Megaquarium? English support not confirmed.
Ninja Jajamaru Collection? An...action/platformer...I think? Not sure.
Override: Mech City Brawl? An arena fighter that reminds me of the King of the Monsters series.
Petoons Party? Another party game. No serious interest honestly.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

I just received New Super Lucky’s Tale, Layton’s Mystery Journey (which I hear isn’t a good entry, which sucks), my imported Dragon Quest 1-3 and Super Robot Wars V from Play-Asia, and I still have Final Fantasy VII + VIII Remastered coming, along with Super Robot Wars X.

Assassins Creed IV Black Flag + Assassins Creed Rogue is my big December game. And Alien Isolation, since it’s obviously not coming this month (and all 3 have gyro, yay!). Also Call of Juarez is December (with gyro!), and Samurai Showdown. Plus Neverwinter Nights, Star Ocean 1st Departure R, SaGa Scarlet Grace Ambitions, Rune Factory 4 and Dark Crystal Tactics.

I’m sure some of those games will get pushed back into 2020 but I’m perfectly OK with that because I am drowning in backlog right now.

Basically it’s Pokemon Sword/Shield for November, Assassins Creed IV + Rogue and Alien Isolation for December, with a few others sprinkled in. Honestly though, I’ll probably still be playing The Witcher 3, Luigi’s Mansion 3 (so good!), Monkey Ball (just made it to world 6!), Trials Rising (keep coming back to this game, working on new playthrough on the Lite), Resident Evil 5 (so much fun with gyro but easy mode is a must, I suck hard at RE games), and even Fire Emblem which I went back to yesterday after the update, working on HARD mode playthrough, still need to get back to Dragon Quest XI S, want to try more of Atelier Ryza, still have Ori halfway finished, Astral Chain and DxM and Sniper Elite 3 waiting partially finished, Zelda and Yooka Laylee partially finished, Darksiders 2 and Ni No Kuni I barely started playing, heck I still need to get back to Mario Maker 2, DQ Builders and... you know what. It would probably be easier to list the games not in backlog at this point.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TheFrenchiestFry

It's so nice to see people discovering SNK franchises like Fatal Fury, KOF and Metal Slug through Smash and Terry's inclusion as a fighter

I was always more of an Iori guy myself when it came to SNK fighting characters and I probably would've preferred Iori or Geese Howard but Sakurai NAILED Terry across the board

Get this man to direct a KOF game for SNK after XV is released ASAP

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

NintendoByNature

I really didn't know much about snk back in the day admittedly. Still not well versed honestly. But I would totally be in to axel or max from SoR for smash

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

TheFrenchiestFry

@NintendoByNature Axel or Blaze Fielding would be dream material in terms of SEGA reps honestly

Also if it interests you and you want to try out SNK games after Terry in Smash, KOF 95-97, Fatal Fury 1 and Fatal Fury Special are on sale on the Switch eShop

TheFrenchiestFry

NintendoByNature

@BlueBlur101 So do all the kof and fatal fury games feature Terry? Fyi I did play some metal slug after a sale last month and did love it.

As for SoR. It seems like a perfect fit for smash honestly..surprised it hasn't happened yet

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

Just played some Super Lucky’s Tale.

This game is really good. Possibly the best 3D platformer I’ve played since Mario Odyssey. The gameplay is so tight and the movesets are so satisfying, which is fundamental for a 3D platformer.

In addition to a completely reworked camera that gives control to the player and can be zoomed out, there’s new and entirely redesigned levels, a revamped user interface, extra moves, new lighting, assets and additional story cinematics... this isn’t only the definitive version of the game – it’s nearly a new game altogether

That statement from a review I read sums it up perfectly. They really transformed this game into a gem. And my brother was a fan of the game back on Xbox, albeit with some camera complaints. It was fixed so you had no control over it and it could get awkward in a lot of situations. Now you have full control over the camera and they’ve reworked its automation, and frankly it seems perfect now.

I had very little hype for this game but now that I’m playing I’m really liking it. It feels like a worthy addition alongside Cuphead and Ori now.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TheFrenchiestFry

@NintendoByNature Terry does appear in all the KOF and Fatal Fury stuff

The King of Fighters tournament in Fatal Fury is where The King of Fighters game series gets its name from actually

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH Really? I'm surprised

I heard it was only severely mediocre and highly generic and derivative of better platformers when the game originally launched on Xbox One

TheFrenchiestFry

NintendoByNature

@BlueBlur101 sweet. Since id be coming in fresh, let me hear what the best one to start with, or play is. Or are they all winners?

NintendoByNature

TheFrenchiestFry

@NintendoByNature I'd say King of Fighters 97, 98, 2000 and 2002 are the ones to try out if you're a newbie since they're very welcoming to newcomers

Fatal Fury 1 and Special are also on sale at the moment

And some other SNK fighters to try out if you like those are Samurai Shodown, SNK Heroines and Garou Mark of the Wolves

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@DarthNocturnal Yes. When it released on the Dreamcast it was known as Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves and is canonically the final installment of the Fatal Fury series so far before Terry just became a King of Fighters mainstay

TheFrenchiestFry

rallydefault

@JaxonH
Good to hear. I've read a lot about the improvements they've made and how the original launch didn't go as well as they hoped.

My remaining buys for the year are... Pokémon, Impossible Lair, Fire Emblem DLC, and maaaaybe Lucky's Tale if I enjoy the demo. Also maybe (finally) Ori. And triple maybe Cuphead.

And maybe Astral Chain.

rallydefault

NintendoByNature

I dont think I have much left on the 2019 purchase schedule thankfully. The witcher 3 and AC rebel collection are for sures. With how much fun im having with re4 might opt for 5 after. But that's probably it... I say this now, but there's definitely a chance once black Friday rolls around that i start going crazy on the sales and deals. If i get a chance to grab Mario and rabbids for $15 I prob will. Also might get spyro for $25. Other than that, I'll keep my eye eshop sales

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano

I have so much backlog that outside of checking Black Friday sales, I'm pretty much done this year for Switch purchases and I'll get the many other games I want later. Works out well anyway as Nintendo systems in the first half of the year are generally pretty slow, 2018 Switch being a big exception.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@BlueBlur101
I mean, it is derivative of other platformers, but so is practically every other platformer. Some of the best video games ever made have been derivative of games that came before it. And some of the worst games I’ve played have been games that did something new just for the sake of it. Witcher 3 is derivative of western RPGs, but it does it really well. New Super Lucky’s Tale is derivative of the 3D platformer genre, but it does it really well.

As for generic? I wouldn’t say that. The characters are extremely endearing and incredibly well done. Everything is so cheerful. Not only that it mixes 2D stages with 3D stages, and has a 3D hub world that’s really unique. Nothing about this game strikes me as being generic.

As for mediocre, the original release wasn’t received well which is why this release is so great. As I mentioned in my previous post it’s bordering on being a new game. The biggest complaints came from the camera and that’s completely fixed now. Levels have been redesigned, New content has been added, new movesets which make gameplay more satisfying... and that’s the best part about this release. They took something that had a really strong foundation but was largely mediocre due to some key shortcomings, and have transformed it into something that’s really quite good.

I’m not going to sit here and say it’s one of the greatest platformer‘s ever made. It’s not. But it is really good, and I don’t think there’s any aspect I dislike about it. The levels are fun, finding the letters LUCKY in each stage to earn a scroll, like in DKC, are engaging, finding the hidden scroll in each area is engaging, and often entails going into a hidden puzzle room and solving a puzzle or a platforming challenge. And the puzzles have been solid so far. You can collect 300 coins to earn a scroll as well. And completing the level gives you one. The mechanics are as tight and precise as any Mario game I’ve ever played. And it’s just fun to move around. It has that Nintendo quality about it where the gameplay mechanics have been tuned so well it’s just fun to do double jumps and ground pounds and burrow under the ground or skate down inclines. The puzzles are also a nice mix up and the 2D segments as well.

So yeah, I don’t know. I wouldn’t recommend the Xbox version but I do recommend New Super Lucky’s Tale for Switch. I haven’t played nearly enough to review it but, it’s fun. Certainly not mediocre or generic to me.

@rallydefault
Ya, that’s right. There’s a demo. Anyone interested should check that out and see for themselves.

Also, Ori on Switch is... its so good. So good it still amazes me. Fire Emblem DLC, thus far, hasn’t been worth it if I’m being completely honest. Don’t get me wrong- they’ve added a lot of cool stuff. Stuff that I really appreciate that will make my second playthrough much more enjoyable. But I don’t think it’s $25 cool. The bulk of the DLC is going to come from the final wave. And I don’t doubt that’s definitely going to make the DLC worth it. But I would say maybe it’s better to wait and see how the wave 4 DLC pans out, just in case it’s a misfire. Because I don’t think what they’ve released thus far is enough to carry the season pass (granted that’s to be expected, because they told us straight up the final wave was going to be the big story content).

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic