Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 44,461 to 44,480 of 69,981

Tangerine

Loving Luigi's Mansion. Brilliantly fun! I agree with Arlo's YouTube first impressions vid. Treasure, treasure to be found everywhere! Gorgeous looking game. The character animations are so expressive and well done. I'm thoroughly impressed with what I've played so far

Tangerine

AndyD

NintendoByNature wrote:

Yea im still on my 128gb but I archive a game once I'm done with it. I suppose once i find a solid deal for a 256 or 400 i might go for it.

I just realized I’ve been using a 200GB card...I thought it was atleast 256...now I maybe can getaway with just a 400GB. But the 512 is still enticing. I like to have all my games readily available.

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Ruthless4u

Actually trying to determine how big a card I’ll need for my son.

No idea how much we plan to do physical vs digital content.

Ruthless4u

AndyD

Well, I can do a 400, but it doesn't leave me much room left to download for later next year...so I may see if I can snag a 512 on sale somewhere. If anyone happens to see any good sales, pass along the news.

Edited on by AndyD

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Ralizah

@NintendoByNature 256 is absolutely worth the upgrade. It's quite roomy, even speaking as someone who downloads the majority of my games.

If you archive games you're totally finished with (nice to meet someone else who doesn't senselessly horde all of their digital purchases), there should never be a need to upgrade.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NintendoByNature

@Ralizah yea, that's how I lasted almost 2 years on my 32gb. I held off on large downloads and archived alot. But now with my 128gb, I feel a little more saucier than normal lol. Even So, black Friday, I might grab the 256 or 400.

NintendoByNature

HobbitGamer

@NintendoByNature @Ralizah Same. My 256 does well in the OG, and I’ve only got a 32 in my Lite. I only load the Lite with stuff I wouldn’t play much docked, anyway.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

JaxonH

The 512gb sd can be obtained for like $85-90 (or it could last time I checked anyways). A crucial asset for any Switch owner. Even for physical only gamers, many titles have large downloads and updates, and that space gets eaten up very quickly. I thought a 512gb would last me all gen, but now I'm eagerly awaiting the inevitable 2TB cards. Way more good games are releasing than expected, and they're taking up way more space than expected.

Doraemon Story of Seasons Asia import just arrived, and I'm surprised how high quality and fun it is. The characters are really appealing, art style is gorgeous and it runs flawlessly. This is why I like trying so many different genres and games. Sometimes the ones you thought you'd enjoy are meh, while the ones you weren't sure about end up being much better than you imagined.

@Ralizah
I dont think its senseless to horde digital titles. Think of the mindset of the physical gamer- I have all these games and if the internet were to go out tomorrow or some emergency happens, I could still play them. It eliminates counterparty risk.

With your purchased games being available on the sd, the same is true. You've got the actual game, in hand, without counterparty risk. Plus having all your games available to play at the drop of a dime is a nice feeling (nothing sucks more than having to wait 2 hrs to download a game you decide you want to play now).

That doesnt mean the archive feature has no value, and many will prefer to use it over buying a larger sd, but I dont think there's anything senseless about preferring to have as many of the products you paid good money for available to enjoy when you want.

Even for games I've fully beaten (which isn't enough to make a huge dent in space if archived anyways) it's nice to have if you ever want to come back to them, and... again, counterparty risk. Games like Zelda BotW and Mario Odyssey. Beat both, but like having the option to play if/when I want. And I may do that since I never finished the expansion or got all the moons.

That said, it's still good to be smart about which games stay downloaded in an ecosystem where space is a precious commodity. If it's a game I dont think I'll ever want to play (such as games deemed mediocre or the vast majority of Hamster NeoGeo/arcade classics) I not only archive them, but delete them. Dont even want their icons wasting my time on the menu. So all of my downloaded games are ones I feel are quality candidates for play after having sampled them. It's nice having a spanning collection of all kinds of great games you carry with you everywhere.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@HobbitGamer thankfully the switch makes it manageable as long as you have some extra storage. I Dont think I've run into any major storage issues yet.. I'd imagine a 32gb for the lite is perfect. If I ever got a lite, I'd use it for small file size 2d indie games. That's a while down the road for me though.

NintendoByNature

NotTelevision

I’m generally fine with archiving anything on the Eshop... unless it is published by those lousy thugs at Nicalis.

Kinda sucks waiting for a big game to download again, but it can be done.

NotTelevision

rallydefault

I only have a 128gig card, I think. I don't archive anything, but I get everything physical that I feasibly can. If I really want a game that is only digital at launch, though, I'll just download it (like original Yooka Laylee, Banner Saga... stuff that later came out on cards). That also includes physical games with big downloads like DOOM and Spyro. I think my card is only half full.

rallydefault

Ralizah

@JaxonH You do you. People should enjoy their hobbies however they like. But, given the existence of the archive feature, it feels needless to me for games that I know I won't be playing again any time soon. And I don't really sympathize with the paranoia about not being able to redownload your games. It's incredibly, profoundly unlikely that Nintendo is just going to randomly crash and burn as a company and, if something this drastic happens, it probably means social/economic conditions are dire enough that I won't be concerned about video games anyway.

I understand this need to keep digital backups of, say, digital PC games, but you can't really do that with the Switch unless you hack it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Anti-Matter

Physical games are more reliable than digital download only games in my opinion.
If convenience just the matter of gaming, i don't even want the convenience like that.
Swapping the cartridge is more enjoyable rather than touch the different apps to play.

And having HORI cart storage to store my Switch games is the fun part. I can decorate the cover by applying a sticker or art paper with double tape attached on. I can decide what picture i want to apply on. 😀
Untitled

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Well, when you said senseless, it did seem kinda judgemental. But to be clear, it’s peace of mind more than it is paranoia. I don’t think somethings’s going to happen, but I like the peace of mind just in case something does.

But it’s more than that. I like having all my digital games available for the same reason I like having all my physical games on my shelf, and not half of them across state lines at somebody else’s house. Sure, I could drive there and pick them up and be back in a few hours just like I could download a game off the Internet in a few hours, but I don’t want to have to go through that if I want to play now. And the problem is, for me at least, you never know what games you want to play tomorrow. I just fired up Saints Row 3 and Bloodstained yesterday. I wasn’t planning on it when I woke up that morning, but I did. You just never know what you’re going to want to play, and had I archived Saint’s Row and Bloodstained, I’d have had to wait quite a bit for the download to finish.

I own a lot of games. If I were to just archive everything on a smaller card, I would only have like 10% of my collection available to me immediately, and that defeats the entire point of buying digital in the first place. If I’m just going to re-download the vast majority of games I own when I want to play, I may as well have just stuck with physical. The entire point of digital, for me, is the convenience of immediate access without having to get up and change cartridges, so naturally, having to re-download runs counter to that convenience.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH Nah, if I sound judgey, I don't mean to. I just believe in speaking plainly. There's no harm in hoarding digital games. I just don't see the need for it. Of course, it makes sense to keep games you might revisit soon downloaded. I do the same for games like VC4 and XC2 where I might go back to them.

I keep all my digital 3DS games downloaded, personally, because, without an archive feature, it feels like they're not a part of my library unless they're actively downloaded. It's why I'm such a fan of the feature.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Ah. No worries then. And I would agree it’s not so much a “need” as it is a luxury. But a luxury I like having 😁 It is a good feature. When I first got the system I thought to myself, “I’ll never use that”, but it’s a necessity now. I like how the icon stays on the menu. It’s a feature I’ve been forced to use, since even the largest sd on the market can’t hold all the digital games.

What makes me ok with it, is knowing that sooner or later, they will release a 2TB card (which is the max the Switch is capable of detecting). And when that day comes, I can migrate my collection over. Until then, I can deal with archiving the ones I think I won’t play that also take up lots of space (Hyrule Warriors, Grandia Collection, Mega Man Collection 2 and X Collection 2, Resident Evil 0 and 1, etc. etc). Not to say I’ll never play those games, but I’d say I’m least likely to play them in comparison to the others (rather play Persona 5 Scramble, Mega Man Collection 1 and X Collection 1, or Resident Evil 5 and 6 with gyro).

Ralizah

@JaxonH Right. Sounds like you're not entirely into hoarding digital purchases either. It makes perfect sense to keep games you might dip into downloaded. And yes, the icon staying on the desktop is why I can tolerate not having all my games downloaded at once.

I thought you had multiple 1TB cards for all your digital games?

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Only because I have multiple Switches. One for my main, digital-only Switch. One for Switch Lite. And one for my duplicate v2 Switch I didn’t mean to order (But since I did and I couldn’t cancel it, I kept it and made it a physical-only Switch + digital-only games, so that I still at least have a Switch where every game I own can be accessed- not just the best digital games I can fit on one sd, including all the games I own physical that I didn’t deem good enough to buy a digital copy of).

So for now, it’s “archive” until 2TB cards release. Thought about buying another 1TB card for the kickstand of the digital-only v2 Switch (Lite doesn’t have a kickstand so it can’t use the Nyko kickstand trick, and the physical Switch doesn’t need more space), but it kind of seems like a waste of money if I’m just going to replace them with 2 TB cards down the line anyways. At $100 I may have done it, but even at $330 (the price I got my 1TB cards for) that’s a lot of money for something that will just get swapped out eventually anyways.

Once 2TB sd cards release I’ll grab 4 I’ll grab 3 (Switch for physical games + games that only released on the eShop can probably last all gen on 1TB- I’m at 500gb free after nearly 3 years). One for Switch Lite (will still have to archive but, with the top 2TB available to play anytime that’s good enough), and two for the digital-only v2 Switch (one in slot, one in kickstand), so that I don’t need to have any games archived and can preserve them going into the next generation.

Even if the next system offers backwards compatibility there won’t be any room for them if I’m already using two 2TB cards for digital Switch games, so I’ll just carry over the top 1% and leave the rest on Switch. Otherwise there’d be no room for Switch 2 games.

Edited on by JaxonH

SuperSpaghetti

Nobody seems to be talking about the Call of Juarez game coming to Switch. Is anyone else interested? I think it looks good.

Future games collector

JaxonH

In short- yes. Thanks to the gyro.

If there hadn’t been gyro, then... I would’ve been meh on it. Gotten to the point I really don’t like playing FPS without gyro, especially on Switch. But... they added gyro so, ya. Definitely interested.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic