Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 43,281 to 43,300 of 43,638

JaxonH

Check out some Fire Emblem Three Houses in handheld mode

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, God Eater 3, Mario Maker 2, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Final Fantasy XII
PS4: Judgement
PSVR / Vita / X1 / PC / Rift / Win2 / WiiU / 3DS: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

NEStalgia

@Morpheel There's no difficulty using 2 Switches as a compliment rather than a replacement. I already have 2 full size switches, one that I use almost exclusively as a handheld, that I use complimentary - bought them both day 1. It was rough going until last September, but with all the NSO functionality it finally became the way I pictured it. It does need NSO to be really convenient...but that's fair....you're using cloud services to conveniently keep two consoles synced, so it's fair to pay for those cloud services. That's probably a more fair reason to charge a yearly fee than "playing multiplayer games" without using any of their servers. Your saves are using their servers.

@link3710 The list terrifies me more and more every time someone posts it. That's like $1k in games in a 5 month period......sigh

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Thanks, that's great to see. I'll really be playing it 100% handheld!

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
It's a shame Lite Switch won't be out in time for FE, cause I'd love to play it on that and reminisce about playing all the handheld FE games. I have to wait til November for the Pokemon edition.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, God Eater 3, Mario Maker 2, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Final Fantasy XII

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH Three Houses is looking good in handheld mode. Excellent. While I'll inevitably do my usual "see what this looks like on a TV" routine, as with most Switch games, I'll be playing it mostly undocked.

I'm also waiting for that Pokemon Switch Lite. I'll try to put in a preorder when it goes live via a US retailer. Hopefully it's not a CRAZY limited thing.

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@JaxonH True, I'm used to FE on a smaller screen.... But I think of it as a plus. I may not be playing it as a console game on it's first console entry in ages, but at least the big switch screen still makes it a bit of an upgrade.

I'm probably not getting a Lite. It tempts me slightly...and it's so cute...but I bought a second Switch to be my handheld from the start, and when I consider having both sitting next to each other, I know I'd pick up the big one every time. Bigger screen, HD rumble.... Other than the d-pad, not much would incentivize me to take the smaller one unless I need it to be truly compact...but with the stand-out sticks it's still not something I'd pocket. If I didn't already have the second Switch I'd have considered it. But I'm kind of glad I have the second big one instead. Heck I'd have bought a 3DS XXL if they made it. I'd buy a Switch XXL if they made it. Give me an 8" screen...I'll be all over it

Edit: Oh and the convenient dock/undock with my 2 docks side by side rather than plugging in a USB-C cable. The little daily usage things make a difference!

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Uh uh. After the KH3 PS4 Pro nightmare I am so done with LE consoles. I'll leave that to the eBay scalpers.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Can always secure an order on Amazon Japan as backup, and cancel if you score an order in the west? Always good to cover all your bases.

I have Daemon X Machina Orbital Edition at Amazon UK and GAME UK, Astral Chain EU Collector Edition at Amazon Japan (yes, Amazon JP made a separate listing for the EU version, I was all over it), Pokemon LiteSwitch at Amazon JP, Zelda Link's Awakening Collector Edition via Amazon Italy... Will cancel the extras closer to release, or if they announce an equivalent western version.

@NEStalgia
I'll definitely be playing on the TV half the time. But also handheld. Btw there is no plugging in a USB-C cable on the Lite. No TV out support. Unless it works unofficially, which I dont think is the case

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Morpheel

@NEStalgia do you use any games that don't support cloud backups? I would certainly want to play Pokémon and Animal crossing on both systems without having to start a new file on each.

Edited on by Morpheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JaxonH

@Morpheel
Just an FYI, I believe Nintendo said they're going to offer a way to transfer between... but who knows what they meant by that. A permanent transfer? We can already do that. A temporary one to swap back and forth? That would make sense for those without cloud saves and/or games which dont support the functionality.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Therad

I think tv out was supposed to be on the lite. If you look at the underside during the reveal, it has two small holes. Those holes are also on the switch, to guide it when you dock it. We will see if it is missing and/or easily modded in when it comes out.

Therad

Magician

Folks won't care if the Lite can dock once the Plus/Pro model comes out next year.

Switch Physical Collection - 366 games (as of July 18th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch) Mary Skelter (PS Vita) Borderlands The Pre-sequel (PS4)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Tsurii

I'll drop this in here as well, for those remotely curious about Three Houses. The opening for the game, stuff looks hella intense and I really hope it sets the mood for the entire game, if not at least the "war phase" of it all

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Oh I know there's not TV out on the Lite - I meant charging it. There's no dock so you have to plug the USB-C into it. My second dock I just us as a charging dock. It didn't even have an HDMI cable attached for the first year and a half. But it's such a nice dock...just drop it in.....lift it out...mechanical spring-loaded connections. I can do it one-handed, and it sits out of the way rather than plugging the cable in with two hands and finding a place to rest the console flat. I'm spoiled.

It sounds like a little thing, but it's something you do once or twice every single day. I have a wireless charger for my phone too for that reason. Fiddling with a cable based charger would feel like scaling Mt. Everest, I think, after that convenience (fortunately pro controller lasts weeks on a charge. I just use a wired PS4 controller now...it's easier than recharging every few battles

That reminds me, remember Vita's official dock? It was such that if you tap the console, or heaven forbid, tug the cable even slightly, it would topple over. And undocking it involved holding the 2oz stand down while ripping the console off it. It was actually worse than just using a cable

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Morpheel Yeah, THAT is a problem Dark Souls, Pokemon, Splatoon.... Not sure there were others with that issue (and I imagine Pokemon SnS won't have that problem.....Now that they're doing Lite I would think that's an imperative.)

Indeed for those games (I can't BELIEVE they didn't fix that in Splatoon yet. Let's Go is Game Freak doing Game Freak, and Souls, made no sense - it does cloud save on every other platform...not Ninendo's fault though. But, Splatoon REALLY needed to be fixed. Yeah for those games, there's no way around, it's one console only without starting new saves. Fortunately they're the only ones, even Smash does Cloud (har har.) That does bother me though.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Morpheel Also I hadn't heard about Animal Crossing. That's unforgivable! Disabling cloud saves should not be permissible for devs. Especially with a time consumer like Animal Crossing! It was fine on 3DS, we could back up our saves. It was fine for Splatoon, bad as it was, because that pre-dated cloud saves. But for a brand new 2020 game to prevent cloud saves and actively tell us "oh well, if your Switch breaks you lose everything...." They're abusing how it works to tell you how to play. That's not cool. And they've never had the power to prevent you from having a backup before now.

And with the portable-only Lite now, that's even WORSE as the odds of losing that save are tremendously greater for those users - without backup capability like the 3DS had!

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Morpheel

OK but here's the important question, can I transfer all my animal crossing neighbors to New Horizons?

#BringBackTheNeigborDex

Anyway, I wouldn't count on cloud saves for Sword and Shield, you mentioned it yourself: gamefreak.

Edited on by Morpheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic