Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 42,781 to 42,800 of 45,813

Ralizah

@darkfenrir Yep. Playing it on the TV is miserable. I wish they'd made it so that you could play with gyro when the system was docked.

Ralizah

Therad

JaxonH wrote:

Pokemon Let's Go is 100% playable in handheld mode. No joycon required.

ARMS is 100% playable in handheld mode as well. No joycon required.

And yet that isn't how they are advertised. I am quite sure something gets lost in translation when you go from one control scheme to another.

Therad

Ralizah

@NEStalgia The stereotypical "hardcore gamer" is typically obsessed with performance metrics in their games, so the idea of a system gimping itself on behalf of portability was offensive to a lot of them. But hardware versatility is very useful for the average person, who doesn't necessarily structure their lives around playing games on their giant 4KTV.

Ralizah

Grumblevolcano

Is the source of gyro for normal Switch handheld usage in the Joy-Con or the screen unit? Wondering if Switch Lite removed gyro.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BruceCM

@JaxonH, @NEStalgia & @Ralizah ... Stop being so sensible You realize nothing you say to those people is going to stop them? I might actually trade my Switch in for a turquoise lite

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Toy_Link

@Grumblevolcano According to the Verge from their article “...The Switch Lite still supports ...built-in gyro controls.”

Where am I going! Nowhere, unless if I say otherwise!

Link-Hero

So those accessory leaks were legit and not for some knockoff like I initially thought. I still think Nintendo wasted there time and effort in making a worse version of the Switch. There's no point in making a mini version when the original model was small enough to begin with. But hey, if you want to waste your money, go buy a Switch Lite.

Edited on by Link-Hero

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

Knuckles-Fajita

@Ralizah I'm not down on it, I'm buying one or two when they come out, after all, 8 year old in my life.

I'm just assessing what will and wont be doable on the system for her sake, since she likes games like Mario Party and Odyssey and Snipperclips.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NEStalgia

@Ralizah That's not a hardcore gamer, that's a technophile. And is precisely what drove me away from PC gaming.

Hardcore gamers are the people that need to 100% everything and beat everything on the hardest level and find every secret or get the highest scores - portability only helps them.

Well then there's the new "hardcore gamer" that's all about online competitive games and it's always open-mic night. I suppose Switch doesn't work for them. I don't think of them as gamers, really, at all, they're virtual sports fans.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@Knuckles-Fajita

Fair enough.

Games like Snipperclips and SMP are designed more for people to play together, so I don't think it'll be a big deal for most people. Those can be games to play together on the TV, while single-player stuff will really shine on the new dedicated handheld model.

Ralizah

Knuckles-Fajita

@Ralizah I cant exactly ask her what games she would like to play...its meant to be a surprise after all for her birthday later this year.

So I'm going through all the things she WOULD play, and then kinda working out if this or a normal Switch works more.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

BruceCM

Also, you'd still have local co-op connecting Switch lites, if you wanted ....

SW-4357-9287-0699

NEStalgia

@Link-Hero I think the smaller size will appeal to traditional dedicated handheld gamers that still preferred 3DS to Switch and waited for this to upgrade. Plus kids.

But the big purpose of it isn't really the size so much as stripping down the hardware to hit a price point to open the market. It will be highly successful there. This isn't about "wasting time making a worse Switch" - it's about using resources to make a 3DS replacement. Switch Lite is the 2019 Game Boy. Except the 2017 NES is also a "Game Boy XL." It'll definitely attract a big market, and Nintendo already said scale/install base is their goal for competing against powerful consoles.

NEStalgia

Therad

Knuckles-Fajita wrote:

@Ralizah I'm not down on it, I'm buying one or two when they come out, after all, 8 year old in my life.

I'm just assessing what will and wont be doable on the system for her sake, since she likes games like Mario Party and Odyssey and Snipperclips.

Mario party and arms are the big ones for my kids. Without those I don't think they would have been nearly as interested in a switch.

Therad

JaxonH

@Therad
It's not how they were previously advertised. It will be going forward. And even if not, it really makes no difference how they advertise. The bottom line is, can you play the game on the Switch Lite or not?

The answer to which is a resounding yes.

@Link-Hero
The fact you think they wasted their time and effort is precisely why you're on a random fansite making backseat commentary and they're enjoying continued success as a global, multi-billion dollar corporation with the hottest gaming device on the market.

A $199 Switch is going to drive growth immensely, and if you doubt it, keep an eye on the sales charts post-September and witness it firsthand.

And btw, if someone buys something they find appealing, they're not "wasting" their money on their $200 Switch any more than you're wasting your money on a $300 Switch. Lack of empathy and unwillingness to see any point of view other than your own are hallmarks of the ignorant. You dont have to like Switch Lite to recognize it's going to drive sales. And there's never any excuse for telling people they're wasting their money buying something they like. You dont get to decide what constitutes wasting money for anyone other than yourself.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: DQXIS, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ni No Kuni, Divinity: OS 2, Astral Chain, Zelda Link’s Awakening

HEY LISTEN! GO PLAY ORI AND THE BLIND FOREST!

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

BruceCM

https://www.game.co.uk/en/m/hardware/nintendo-switch-consoles/nintendo-switch-lite?cm_sp=mobilehome--espot1--JustAnnounced
Game also has them ....

SW-4357-9287-0699

EvilLucario

My only question is if I should buy it for my younger sister. We share it right now, but she only plays BotW right now and I'm waiting to see what Doug means when they said more details to come about transferring gameplay experiences, since I have BotW digitally. She loves Pokemon like I do so if we got a Lite, she can pick up Shield. But aside from that, I don't know if she's gonna get that much use out of it, especially since we already share the Switch as is.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

PikPi

I'll only be getting it once the inevitable Prime 4 special edition gets released. Or maybe I'll ge lucky and in 2021 they'll release a Switch Pro/X and I can get a fancy one then

PikPi

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic