Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 42,761 to 42,780 of 43,633

Tangerine

Some of my experiences on Ebay haven't been great. I had a 3DS 2nd hand copy of donkey kong country returns wrapped up poorly and totally coated with selotape, so the only way I could open it was to inadvertently cut the front of the box to pieces with scissors. Also a copy of ultra moon arrived which absolutely stank to high heavens with what I assume was old 2nd hand smoke.

After that I decided to buy brand new only, as my OCD wouldn't allow me to continue! My sister benefited at least, as I gave the pre owned games to her along with a couple others for Christmas. I actually bought her a brand new 2DS XL to go along with the games, so I feel it was justified!

Tangerine

DenDen

Lucky as i am never had this problem on ebay, like i said before buying cheap switch stuff is always hard to find many people know there is a high demand for it

Top 10 games
1 secret of mana
2 majoras mask
3 breath of the Wild
4 final fantasy 9
5 Octopath traveler
6 Lufia II
7 super mario world
8 bravely default
9 pikmin 2
10 Diddy kong racing

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

gcunit

I buy a lot of games on ebay and I've gotten used to it. I'd guess nearly 50% of the games I've bought have not met the ebay definition for the item condition, to a greater or lesser extent, so I've had to return for refunds (all at their expense) many times. Some people are just ****wits. Nothing new or exclusive to ebay about that.

But on many occasions it's worked to my advantage e.g. I bought a 'New, sealed' copy of Boing! Docomodake recently. When it arrived I was pretty sure it was a 're-seal' job - the cellophane didn't look legit, and when I unwrapped some of it was glued to the game case; the cover was for the US version (and looked low res, like it was printed on a home inkjet), the cart inside was PAL (not matching the US cover) and the instruction booklet was in German. I'd paid about £14. I iniated a return and got all my money back, plus I got to keep the game, which does work but just isn't in an authentic set.

Edited on by gcunit

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Magician

JaxonH wrote:

This game is coming to Switch. Here’s a review for the release on other platforms. Seems interesting. Not really my cup of tea but I think the Ace Attorney/LA Noire crowd might love it

The Sinking City looks like a prime candidate for being a bad Switch port.

The game looks rough on a high end PC.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 366 games (as of July 18th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch) Mary Skelter (PS Vita) Borderlands The Pre-sequel (PS4)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Dezzy

Well my copy of Odyssey arrived! Woohoo, first official game. I have the afternoon off so have played like 4 hours already. Lol.
I think it's already my second favourite 3D Mario game after Galaxy/Galaxy 2 (those count as one in my mind). It probably won't outdo Galaxy for me, because I think that was near-perfection, but it's definitely better than 64/Sunshine/3D World/3D Land imo.
Gameplay-wise, it feels closest to Mario64 though. Like a sequel to that, but with much better controls.

Ralizah wrote:

@Dezzy LOL I've never had a problem on Ebay before. Do you check the feedback ratings for sellers before purchasing from them and/or message them with questions about what's included if they use stock photos for their product listings?

Yep. Although the console mishap was an amazon seller, not an ebay one.
And the guy who sent me the wrong game had 100% feedback and was very nice about it when I complained, so in retrospect it sounds like it might've been an honest mistake. He sounded like someone's dad who didn't know much about games, so I think he might've been selling his child's stuff and got confused. With Xenoblade it's probably because it was only a game cart without a box, so the writing is really small on the cart.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

someguy050

Dezzy wrote:

Well my copy of Odyssey arrived! Woohoo, first official game. I have the afternoon off so have played like 4 hours already. Lol.
I think it's already my second favourite 3D Mario game after Galaxy/Galaxy 2 (those count as one in my mind). It probably won't outdo Galaxy for me, because I think that was near-perfection, but it's definitely better than 64/Sunshine/3D World/3D Land imo.
Gameplay-wise, it feels closest to Mario64 though. Like a sequel to that, but with much better controls.

Ralizah wrote:

@Dezzy LOL I've never had a problem on Ebay before. Do you check the feedback ratings for sellers before purchasing from them and/or message them with questions about what's included if they use stock photos for their product listings?

Yep. Although the console mishap was an amazon seller, not an ebay one.
And the guy who sent me the wrong game had 100% feedback and was very nice about it when I complained, so in retrospect it sounds like it might've been an honest mistake. He sounded like someone's dad who didn't know much about games, so I think he might've been selling his child's stuff and got confused. With Xenoblade it's probably because it was only a game cart without a box, so the writing is really small on the cart.

You enjoyed Mario Odyssey? I tried to, but the focus on collectibles I found boring to collect made the game flimsy. If you thought collecting Moons was boring or repetitive, the game sucked, and that was my main problem with it. Breath of the Wild had collectibles too, but they felt more fun (even Korok seeds) and even if you didn't want to collect them the game still stood on its own.
That being said, I can certainly see why some people like it. But to me, it did not feel like a 3D Mario at all, and had little resemblance to some of my favorite games such as Galaxy and Mario 64.

Right now, I'm sinking my teeth into Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and in a moment I'm going to play Mario Maker 2!
In the future, I can't wait to grind some New Horizons and Link's Awakening!

Ralizah

@Dezzy Ouch. Sounds like you just had a run of bad luck, then. Fear of this sort of thing happening is why I never make BIG purchases on the second-hand market.

Well, like I said, Odyssey gets better as it goes on, well into the post-game where it'll truly begin to shine. Hope you keep enjoying it as much as you seem to now!

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

HobbitGamer

@Dezzy Glad you're enjoying Odyssey! It's probably my second favorite under SM64. I can't wait till you get to the post game

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

DenDen

@Dezzy great your enyoing Odyssey game is awesome.
It gets better when your post-game and end game.
Not my favorite 3d Mario that belonngs too super mario 3d world

Top 10 games
1 secret of mana
2 majoras mask
3 breath of the Wild
4 final fantasy 9
5 Octopath traveler
6 Lufia II
7 super mario world
8 bravely default
9 pikmin 2
10 Diddy kong racing

Dezzy

someguy050 wrote:

You enjoyed Mario Odyssey? I tried to, but the focus on collectibles I found boring to collect made the game flimsy. If you thought collecting Moons was boring or repetitive, the game sucked, and that was my main problem with it.

It does go way overboard on the collectibles. It's not really damaging the experience for me, but it's definitely not adding anything by having you get another moon every 2 minutes.
I think Galaxy and 64 got the right level of collectibles.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

I simply think of Mario Odyssey more like a collectathon platformer in the vein of Banjo-Kazooie than I do a more traditional, mission-based 3D Mario game.

Ralizah

HobbitGamer

Ralizah wrote:

I simply think of Mario Odyssey more like a collectathon platformer in the vein of Banjo-Kazooie than I do a more traditional, mission-based 3D Mario game.

That's the vibe I get when I play it, especially with the transformative elements from Cappy.

Speaking of the bear and bird, does Yooka-Laylee ever go on sale in the US market? I've heard great things, but I've also heard it's somewhat shorter for $40

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Ralizah

@HobbitGamer It went on sale for $20 a few weeks ago, if I recall correctly.

I am wondering where you heard "great things," though. People are very, very hard on that poor game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

HobbitGamer

@Ralizah Oh poo. I always get it and Yoku's Island Express confused, truthfully. I suppose I'll hold out for Banjo to show up in Smash this fall, in that case. I'm currently impatiently awaiting Graveyard Keeper.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

PikPi

HobbitGamer wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

That's the vibe I get when I play it, especially with the transformative elements from Cappy.

Speaking of the bear and bird, does Yooka-Laylee ever go on sale in the US market? I've heard great things, but I've also heard it's somewhat shorter for $40

Tbh, it's a good game that serves as a great starting point for their franchise. I was never as down on it as most other people, though, so I'm definitely biased. I think it did what it set out to do and did it in a decent way.

PikPi

DenDen

Yooka is an amazing game really in the veins of the old times I liked it a lot, sure it has it flaws but in overal its a good expirience.

Top 10 games
1 secret of mana
2 majoras mask
3 breath of the Wild
4 final fantasy 9
5 Octopath traveler
6 Lufia II
7 super mario world
8 bravely default
9 pikmin 2
10 Diddy kong racing

Ralizah

YL is one of those games that gets savaged by the gamer hivemind more than it ought. Partially because it had the unfortunate luck of tripping into some controversy before release, and the angry narratives formed as a result of the backlash spread like wildfire around gaming communities on the internet, and partially because many people didn't really know what they were asking for when they said they wanted a modern N64-style platformer.

Ralizah

HobbitGamer

Okay, I’m seeing what y’all mean. So I would most likely enjoy it then, from the sound of it. Probably going to hold out for another sale though.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

JaxonH

God Eater 3 preorder is live, and a demo is available for download.

Can’t say no to a free demo. I’ve already pre-ordered the game but I’m eager to check it out. Anyone who is a fan of Monster Hunter should check this one out. It’s not as difficult and has a little more freedom of movement, but it’s probably the best non-MH Monster Hunter series on the market. In fact, God Eater was super popular back on the PSP. Fans used to beg to see the titles localized in the west.

Now, we are getting the new 3rd entry that just released a couple months ago designed for home consoles, but on the Nintendo Switch as a handheld hybrid game. That’s pretty freaking rad.

Btw
There is English voice option in the game. The person in the demo must have opted for JP instead.

edit
Just played the demo. WOW.

This game looks SO GOOD on Switch, handheld too, runs great, seems like no sacrifices were made, even the secondary color of light shimmering off the player’s hair looks fantastic, and there’s like 20 different voice actors to choose from when creating your character, and all of them are extremely high-quality voices, not that typical garbage English voice acting you see with Japanese games- these are really really good.

I’m sold. Preordering digitally. THIS is how you port a game to Switch.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, God Eater 3, Mario Maker 2, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Final Fantasy XII
PS4: Judgement
PSVR / Vita / X1 / PC / Rift / Win2 / WiiU / 3DS: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic