Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 42,621 to 42,640 of 69,981

JaxonH

I like owning my games, so I do prefer VC. But just given how much I play my Switch, the utility of having access to such games indefinitely for a little extra is enough to tip the scales. For any other console, I’m not interested in sub model services. And honestly, I’m not interested in it for Switch if it were anything other than VC (like actual Switch games). But for vintage games, ya. If it’s my only option of having them on Switch. Obviously I’d choose buying them if I had the option.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

BougieBeetle

@Knuckles-Fajita Mr. Yamauchi was always very concerned with strict quality control, I'm not sure he'd be willing to monetize to that extent. On the other hand, he did like making money. He liked it a lot.

@EvilLucario What would you say are the downfalls of VC from Nintendo's perspective? Just curious!

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

EvilLucario

@BougieBeetle So you have your usual games you want, like Mario, Zelda, Metroid. Those do well, of course. But who cares about games like Ogre Battle 64 or Strider? Not much, a fraction at best. Good games, but they don't do as well. It becomes a huge popularity contest where all those games get left behind. The return isn't as good for those games compared to the popular Nintendo games, and they make up the majority of all titles, Wii Virtual Console or Wii U or 3DS.

That's why I say that when people say they want Virtual Console, they just want Mario/Zelda/Metroid and nothing else. Obviously not everyone is like that but it is what it is.

With a subscription service, you can use quantity as a way to tip people over to subscribing to your service in addition to the same Mario/Zelda/Metroid games, as well as actually getting people to play those games in the first place they otherwise would not have.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Therad

I am fine with it. Nintendo can monetize their games however they want.

having to sub for online is still stupidly greedy though.

Therad

BruceCM

Just put Final Fantasy Tactics Advance & A2: Grimoire of the Rift on Switch along with War of the Lions.... I'll buy those

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

DenDen

Snes whould be awesome put full online support in it en some dedicated servers and Im a happy man

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

StuTwo

BougieBeetle wrote:

@EvilLucario What would you say are the downfalls of VC from Nintendo's perspective? Just curious!

I’ve heard it called the ‘Uncle Buck’ problem. Uncle Buck is a fun film but not an essential one. It’s something you’ll have a good hour and a half watching if it’s there and free but it’s not something you’d ever wake up one thinking ‘I really need to watch Uncle Buck’. So the commercial case for making Uncle Buck as an individual film available for sale is weak.

As a grain of sand in a weightier package though it has value. In fact it’s only by packaging it up that you can really justify keeping it available.

The same goes for games. I’ve put a bit of time into games like Solomon’s Key on Switch - games that I wouldn’t even contemplate buying outright (even if we were only talking about a price £1 or less). The subscription model allows Nintendo to plumb the depths and bring games that wouldn’t otherwise be made available.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

HobbitGamer

@StuTwo That’s a pretty on point comparison.
I love the Uncle Buck movie, and now that it’s been mentioned I would like to watch it; But I’m not going to go through the effort to track it down.

That chainsaw, tho 😂

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

rallydefault

New_Guest wrote:

@rallydefault

You know id rather have all SNES titles on one cartridge and pay 30 for it

And apart from that, if i paid for one year i probably played all the NES games already and therefore shouldnt have to pay for it again, so the price i pay for NSO should go to the SNES game, thats why there shouldnt be an extra cost to play SNES games

Thats BS

I honestly have no idea what you are saying. You "probably" played all the NES games so you...shouldn't have to pay for them next year? Is that what you're saying?

I mean, if you BOUGHT them, then yea...you don't pay for a game every year that you've already bought. But when you signed up for Online, you didn't buy the games... you subbed to a service that provides access to those games for a recurring fee. You did that, and you should make sure you read, clearly, the stipulations of anything you sign up for/buy.

That being said, MAYBE they will come out with a plan where you can choose what games (NES or SNES or future systems) you'd like to receive for different price ranges. I don't see that happening, though. I think they'll tack on SNES for 5-10 dollars more per year.

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

Wargroove is a getting a physical version:

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

https://nintendoeverything.com/a-hat-in-time-officially-confi...

A Hat in Time is coming October 18th. Seal the Deal DLC is included, although it'll need to be downloaded separately for the physical version. Amazon physical version is listed at $39.99.

Between this and the side-scrolling Yooka, October is looking to be a good month for platformers on Switch.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

HobbitGamer

@New_Guest In your view of this, does that mean that a person subbing up after SNES were to launch should pay more than a person that subbed up when NES launched? Because that person had not yet "paid for NES games"?

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Magician

New_Guest wrote:

@HobbitGamer I would like to have the NES games on a cartridge but they dont sell it.

Oh...the irony in that statement, lol. Thank you, I needed some hilarity in my day.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ryu_Niiyama

My only issue with the online services is the same I had with VC. Due to legal logistics it is impossible to offer a full library. So you get the same releases into infinity. However if you liked a rare game or are trying to play something you missed, VC/online service doesn't assist much. Granted I have NSO for online so the games are an extra padding. So I play what I see and keep it moving.

In a perfect utopia where all the rights holders came together and said "here is our entire catalog for purchase" it would be wonderful (and knock a hole in the whole ROM scene) but because that will never happen we are stuck with a bandaid solution. There were a lot of good licensed games in the snes era (and a few in the NES era) but they will never see the light of day again. To me that is the only issue with video games as a medium. They were made to be used at the time and then thrown away, but because gaming is such a cultural touch stone people want to go back and keep playing those games. The medium wasn't (still isn't if you look at licensed games) prepared for that.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

StuTwo

@BougieBeetle @HobbitGamer it is such a great film with a wicked sense of humour. Not “top 10 of all time, keep the poster on your wall and the 5 disc collectors edition blu ray on your shelf” material - there are dozens of films more deserving of that treatment - but it’s more than solid.

I suppose we should be glad it’s not more we’ll known today. If it were we’d have chainsaw Buck Funko Pops and a terrible reboot staring Seth Rogan prepped by Hollywood as the forerunner of a nascent “Buck cinematic universe” pledging to show us just what was happening with Buck’s brother and his wife and what the boyfriend did next...

Anyway - the main point is that if we want those solid B tier games available then they need to make commercial sense and subscription based services are the best bet for that. They also need to be baited with the games that people really want. Making Mario 3 et al available to buy separately could undermine the whole endeavour.

Which isn’t to say I agree with Nintendo’s model - it clearly has downsides as well as upsides - but there is a logic to it and that logic is not inherently anti consumer. The way they’ve communicated the advantages and marketed it has been an utter disaster so far however - which is a real shame.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

rallydefault

@New_Guest
Ok, here we go:

100 bucks over 5 years to play 30+ classic games is an EXCELLENT deal. Ask any game collector. To collect/buy physical games, you'd be paying many multiple times that much. You would own the games, yes, but you could easily be paying in the thousands of dollars to establish a big library. 200 dollars and a decade later and probably many more added games later (assuming the service stays up, and that's a whole other discussion), and you're still WAY on the winning end of things if you're hardcore about playing old games.

I guess you are being "clear," sure, but I think you're being spoiled. You're asking for everything for nothing or next to nothing. You WANT a big collection of games to be made available to you for a reasonable price. Yea, awesome - we all want that. I want to win the lottery tonight.

And I agree with you: online should be free. Most of us around here think that. But guess what: Nintendo decided it's not free on their console. So you either pay for it or walk away from it and play for free on a PC or something. It's up to you.

rallydefault

RR529

@StuTwo, actually they did try to reboot Uncle Buck as a TV series, I think last year, but it flopped. EDIT: it was actually back in 2016.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4424758/

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JaxonH

And I agree with you: online should be free. Most of us around here think that. But guess what: Nintendo decided it's not free on their console. So you either pay for it or walk away from it and play for free on a PC or something. It's up to you

Couldn’t agree with this statement more. Everybody here agrees online should be free. But that’s not the way it is, and it hasn’t been that way for years. Complaining about it like it’s the morning’s breaking news isn’t going to solve the issue. Accept it and pay for it, or don’t accept it and don’t pay for it. It truly is up to you.

Most people agree with shouldn’t be paying income taxes. Income tax didn’t exist before the 20th century. It’s a relatively new thing. But every since 1913, we’ve been paying income tax on top of sales tax and property tax. It’s double taxation. Your money gets taxed once when you earn it and again when you spend it. People just accept it as normal, but it wasn’t always like that. Paying income tax to the IRS has only been around for 100 years or so.

But there’s no sense in complaining about it now. That’s just the way it is and it’s not going to change. You don’t have to like it, but if you choose to earn money legitimately you’re going to have to pay the tax. No ifs, ands or buts. It is what it is. Same goes for online subs. It is what it is. That’s just the way it is and it’s not going to change. Wasting breath on what it “should be” is exactly that... wasting breath.

If someone wishes to harness their frustration into something constructive, however, I would advise voting with your wallet, and making your voice heard on official social media accounts. You’re not going to change it, but you can at least make a case for better value.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Cotillion

JaxonH wrote:

But there’s no sense in complaining about it now. That’s just the way it is and it’s not going to change. You don’t have to like it, but if you choose to earn money legitimately you’re going to have to pay the tax. No ifs, ands or buts. It is what it is. Same goes for online subs. It is what it is. That’s just the way it is and it’s not going to change. Wasting breath on what it “should be” is exactly that... wasting breath.

If someone wishes to harness their frustration into something constructive, however, I would advise voting with your wallet, and making your voice heard on official social media accounts. You’re not going to change it, but you can at least make a case for better value.

If only I could vote with my wallet on taxes too by just not paying them

Cotillion

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic