Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 42,601 to 42,620 of 43,639

Tangerine

I'd like a UK physical of gungeon. Still not sure if I'll pick up dragon quest builders 2. I haven't played the first one, or minecraft or any regular dragon quest games. It looks interesting though...

Tangerine

Cotillion

July is pretty empty for me . Marvel Alliance is pretty well the only Switch game that month I want or interests me. Be a good month to catch up on backlog.

Cotillion

Ralizah

July is the "real start" of Nintendo's 2019 for me, with Bloodstained at the very end of June and Fire Emblem: Three Houses in late July.

Ralizah

RedderRugfish

So for the people who have huge lists of dozens of games they're going to buy this year, are you planning on buying them all day one? I can't imagine you'll have the time to properly play each one as soon as you buy it, and the price for them will start going down after a few months (unless you only buy digital).

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

Ryu_Niiyama

@ReaderRagfish Really depends on how my budget goes. I'm buying less physical currently so some digital games I just slap on the wish list and wait until they go on sale. Otherwise I tend to buy day one because a lot of games I like are niche and have limited print runs and I'd rather pay full price than whatever nonsense Gamestop will mark it up to later or having to stalk ebay. I've been a poor gamer (read: College Student) before and its not worth the footwork you put in later imo. I budget to pay full price, just to save myself the annoyance of hoping something is on sale when I may want to play it now. Also the rest of the year has most of the "I want to play this as soon as it drops because I gave another game right behind it" titles for me. Next month alone is egregious because of DQB2/ MUA /FE3H.

Of course I'm about to start a second job to pay for all of this so who knows...I'll be in here whining about not being done with FE3H in October...lol.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

@JaxonH I think there's a special award for you for being the only person on the internet who has any memory at all of the existence of red faction. Poor thing should just launch into the clearance bin given what it's up against.... They have a 10 year old game and still managed to miss the full year of crickets on Switch, waiting to release until the unrelenting onslaught for the next 10 months begins.....

DQB2 and SMM2 launching within weeks of each other is a truly dangerous combination....and I don't even generally do "creative" games. And that's excluding FE. I love FE but suck miserably at it so my attention span tends to wane on it.

@Ryu_Niiyama You still won't be done AC: Sparta by then. I won't have even be done Odyssey yet.

@ReaderRagfish The price for the first party games won't be going down. That list is huge enough!

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia I'm mostly done with AC: Sparta. I'm waiting on all the rest of the dlc to drop before I jump back in (although I do want to try the story creator). Afterall the DLC has the aspects of AC that I actually care about (the Isu) and since it is a bad AC game (they really neutered the assassin capabilities) I'm just there because I love Kassandra's voice actor. And Greece is pretty, but there isn't much upward mobility in ancient Greece. Yeah you can climb mountains but who cares, the joy of AC was leaping rooftop to rooftop avoiding guards. While AC3 is similarly flat I'll head back in just to feel like an assassin again.

All bets are off after FE3H drops though. I expect to fall off the grid.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama Wow, Sparta killed the Assassin-y feel? I thought Origins did it really well, though, honestly even 2 never felt very assasiny to me. They left Assassining at the door after 1. I still adore 1. Origins was the closest to that feeling I've experienced since. 3 was....awful, but I'm hoping the remaster fixes that. They said they were trying to.

I'll be on the boards complaining i have no idea how to win when FF3H drops. I think I'll have to go with "baby mode"

NEStalgia

BruceCM

Dunno if anyone is interested but Devil May Cry is now up to pre-load in eshop...

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Magician

ReaderRagfish wrote:

So for the people who have huge lists of dozens of games they're going to buy this year, are you planning on buying them all day one? I can't imagine you'll have the time to properly play each one as soon as you buy it, and the price for them will start going down after a few months (unless you only buy digital).

Personally, I try to support my favorite publishers by purchasing their games on day one, even though I may not play that game immediately due to my backlog. Everything else get put on a "wait and see" list until it reaches an msrp of 50% or better. That's the problem with being a collector, the hunt for a good deal is almost better than playing the games themselves.

Switch Physical Collection - 366 games (as of July 18th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch) Mary Skelter (PS Vita) Borderlands The Pre-sequel (PS4)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

BruceCM

Well, I try to buy games as soon as possible.... But if needed, I'll have to get some later, when there's less games around

SW-4357-9287-0699

iKhan

I'll be honest, I don't know which Switch games to buy at this point. There is so much I want to play on this platform, it's incredible.

Some of the things I'm super interested in that are already out:

Cuphead
Mulaka
West of Loathing
Steamworld Quest
Ys 8
Secret of Mana collection
Octopath Traveler
Pretty much any of the Final Fantasy games, as I've never played any of them
Mario + Rabbids
XC2 DLC

And then here's what's coming out this year that looks really good:
Astral Chain
Daemon X Machina
Luigi's Mansion
Pokemon Sw/Sh

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Pokemon Crystal, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions

BruceCM

iKhan wrote:

Steamworld Quest
Ys 8
Octopath Traveler
Mario + Rabbids
XC2 DLC

Have you only recently got a Switch....? For the FF games on Switch, I would definitely recommend VII 1st, just because of it's rather dated graphics Other than that, since the games aren't really connected, it doesn't matter which order All the others I've quoted are awesome, too but not played the rest you mentioned

SW-4357-9287-0699

iKhan

BruceCM wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Steamworld Quest
Ys 8
Octopath Traveler
Mario + Rabbids
XC2 DLC

Have you only recently got a Switch....? For the FF games on Switch, I would definitely recommend VII 1st, just because of it's rather dated graphics Other than that, since the games aren't really connected, it doesn't matter which order All the others I've quoted are awesome, too but not played the rest you mentioned

No, I got the switch w/in the first few months of launch. For the 1st year I had time, and invested it in ARMS, MK8D, Zelda, Mario, and XC2. By the 2nd year, I was knees deep in med school, so I have minimal time per week to play.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Pokemon Crystal, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions

CanisWolfred

I'll wait on the reviews before I consider getting Kill La Kill: IF, but I really do hope it's good. KLK really seems like a natural fit to turn into a beat 'em up/fighting game.

I'll be honest, though - I'm more worried about September than July, since a lot of PS4 games will also be competing for my attention. And money.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

JaxonH

@iKhan
Final Fantasy X. Unless you are one of those people that loves retro games and the blocky PSone graphics, FFX is the way to go imo. Not only is it my personal favorite of the series, it’s the last game by series creator Sakaguchi, and the only one on a somewhat modern console. It’s been completely remastered and looks wonderful, especially since it was already one of the best looking PS2 games of the generation (though Final Fantasy XII has it beat- that game released later in the PS2 console cycle).

It’s also the last great turn based Final Fantasy, and is truly the pinnacle of the genre. The sphere grid system is, even today, considered one of the greatest skill point systems of all time. The story is wonderful, the characters are lovable, The game is just excellent all around.

Having said that, i’m currently wrapping up my first playthrough of Final Fantasy XII on Switch, and I have to say I think I like it almost as much as FFX. It was done by the creator of Final Fantasy Tactics, but he left partway through development so the second half of the story kind of drops off. It’s very unconventional though and has an automated battle system where are you strategically set “gambits”, which are basically conditional statements of “if then”. If an ally’s health drops below 50%, use Cure. If party leader is targeted, attack foe. If status = disease, use remedy. Etc etc. very unconventional but once you get used to it it’s incredibly addictive. I just wouldn’t recommend it as your first foray into the series. It’s not really representative of the franchise as a whole, aside from the high production values and great storytelling.

Btw, I highly recommend looking into Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest XI S. Those are some really high-quality games which, as is typical for the genre, tend to get overlooked by the majority of gamers. Fire Emblem is well-suited to the intelligent, are those who play chess or are really smart. Not to say you have to have a high IQ to enjoy the game, just saying that the game lends itself well to those types of people. And given you’re in med school, you sound like the kind of person who would really love it.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, God Eater 3, Mario Maker 2, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Final Fantasy XII
PS4: Judgement
PSVR / Vita / X1 / PC / Rift / Win2 / WiiU / 3DS: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Ralizah

Wow! Clannad is getting a Western Switch release. Never thought I'd type those words.

But then, The Witcher 3 is getting a Switch release, too, so what do I know?

Ralizah

RedderRugfish

NEStalgia wrote:

@ReaderRagfish The price for the first party games won't be going down. That list is huge enough!

Places like Gamestop will probably charge $60 for years, but on ebay Smash and Yoshi are both about $40, and those games are only a few months old.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

Luna_110

How is FF X’s story? I’ve heard it’s pretty divisive - how does it stacks against VII and XII?

And this second half of the year is stacked. I’m trying to save money and this isn’t helping at all.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

JaxonH

@Luna_110
Story is fine. It’s nothing groundbreaking (although still pretty good by video game standards), and it can be a little cheesy sometimes. But as a whole, I really like it. The endearing characters help a lot. I haven’t finished VII (technically I haven’t finished XII either but I’m right at the end of the game so), and... it’s hard to compare. XII story is told better and has more political intrigue, but I care about the characters way less. And it’s less consistent as the end kind of just coasts to the finish line. I’d say they’re about equal but for different reasons. X is pretty consistent throughout. A solid 8/10 for story/characters beginning to end. While FFX is like, 10/10 for story the first half, 7/10 the second half, and 6/10 for characters. Idk.

Even if it ends up not being your favorite story I find it hard to believe it would divide anyone. At worst it’s “pretty good”. At best it’s great.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, God Eater 3, Mario Maker 2, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Final Fantasy XII
PS4: Judgement
PSVR / Vita / X1 / PC / Rift / Win2 / WiiU / 3DS: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic