Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 42,521 to 42,540 of 69,979

Therad

@BlueBlur101 I agree that sticking to one platform makes you miss out on a lot of good content. And not only that, sometimes a version of a game on one platform is far superior to other platforms.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

DenDen

@JaxonH
You seem the right guy to ask this too.

Never been An fire emblem fan, played previous titels never finished them.
Wil this one apeal to me?
Or is it yust the hype that gots me interested?

On a note my all time favorite genre is rpg trpg jrpg you name it.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

CurryPowderKeg79

Thanks i was wondering @BlueBlur101. I really want Persona 5 but if Persona 5 S reviews well i'll pick it up as i've never played a Persona game before and really want too. Thanks again.

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
ASPHALT 9: LEGENDS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

TheFrenchiestFry

@Therad cough cough Wolfenstein II and Doom on literally any platform but Switch cough cough Dragon Quest XI S over PS4/PC cough

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Therad

RedderRugfish wrote:

Therad wrote:

how often do atlus port their games? The answer is almost never.

SMT was ported from SNES to Sega CD, Turbografx CD, PS1, and GBA. Persona 4 was ported from PS2 to Vita. Devil Summoner was ported from Saturn to PSP. Snowboard Kids was ported from N64 to PS1. Persona was ported to PSP. Devil Children was ported from GBC to PS1. Persona 4 Arena was on both PS3 and 360. Catherine was on PS3, 360, and PC.

I correct myself, I meant nothing recent. I don't say it won't happen, but don't get your hopes up.

Therad

Therad

BlueBlur101 wrote:

@Therad cough cough Wolfenstein II and Doom on literally any platform but Switch cough cough Dragon Quest XI S over PS4/PC cough

Yeah, good examples.
I would add cities skylines and civ to that list. Those kinds of games become very taxing late game. I am glad they ported them, but they are better on PC.

Therad

JaxonH

@DenDen
It's hard to say what someone on the internet will or will not enjoy, as every game that exists appeals to each person differently.

If you didn't enjoy the previous entries, then I'm hesitant to say you'll enjoy Three Houses. Then again, it depends on which entries you played. Three Houses is quite different from previous entries and the vast majority of people playing it are saying "GotY" and "best I've played all gen" and "one of my faves of all time". That's a very common reaction to the game. But if you didn't like it before, Idk if this will be different. I'd like to say it would, just because the strength of FE is making you care about the characters, and the rewind mechanic takes away the frustration of permadeath.

If the game looks appealing to you, there's probably a reason for that. It's likely something you'll enjoy. So I say trust your instincts. If you're gut is telling you "this looks awesome" then dont hesitate to swan dive in head first.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

StuTwo

@DenDen I’ve never played a Fire Emblem game before Three Houses (but I had played - & loved - Advance Wars, other tactical RPGs and games like Civilisation).

I think it’s a great game. I think it’s far more “RPG-y” than I was expecting. Less like Advance Wars than you’d think given the look of battle might suggest. The Monastery gives you a lot of RPG style interaction - it could have been done via menus but the fact it’s not gives you an illusion of freedom. The plot is fairly grounded by RPG standards.

It’s definitely not a game for everyone but I suspect you’d really like it if you’re into classic turn based RPGs. It’s different from that genre (& plot momentum is comparatively slow - all SRPGs have this problem because the battle system is more involved) but it’s not too far removed I’d say.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

HobbitGamer

@StuTwo What you said sums up my experience with 3H as well. I’m loving it; it’s like Advance Wars, Quest 64, and Half Blood Prince has a baby.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

DenDen

@JaxonH @StuTwo
Tnx both!!
If Im stil interesseted in it next week i wil buy it

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Therad

DenDen wrote:

@JaxonH @StuTwo
Tnx both!!

You can watch an episode or two of a let's play to see if it is for you. The 'Visual novel'-part of FETH turns off some fans of the genre. IMHO that part is what makes FE unique, but it is a more slow paced entry in the genre. Also why I haven't bought it yet, I simply don't have the time at the momemnt for a long slowburner.

Therad

JaxonH

Therad wrote:

DenDen wrote:

@JaxonH @StuTwo
Tnx both!!

You can watch an episode or two of a let's play to see if it is for you. The 'Visual novel'-part of FETH turns off some fans of the genre. IMHO that part is what makes FE unique, but it is a more slow paced entry in the genre. Also why I haven't bought it yet, I simply don't have the time at the momemnt for a long slowburner.

I wouldn't say its that slow of a burn. There are people here who already beat the game and are halfway through a 2nd playthrough (Tsurii). Something you'd never see in a game like Xenoblade 2 or Dragon Quest XI S. There is a lot of dialog, but, it's all fully voiced with 3D models so its incredibly engaging, much more akin to what you'd find in a AAA game than a visual novel. And, it's all 100% skippable/optional (though I wouldn't recommend doing that, as the social interactions are excellent).

But if you do watch gameplay, watch from the beginning. Otherwise you wont have the attachment to the characters whoever is playing does, and you might not get the appeal of wanting to talk to everyone.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Therad

JaxonH wrote:

Therad wrote:

DenDen wrote:

@JaxonH @StuTwo
Tnx both!!

I wouldn't say its that slow of a burn. There are people here who already beat the game and are halfway through a 2nd playthrough (Tsurii). Something you'd never see in a game like Xenoblade 2 or Dragon Quest XI S. There is a lot of dialog, but, it's all fully voiced with 3D models so its incredibly engaging, much more akin to what you'd find in a AAA game than a visual novel. And, it's all 100% skippable/optional (though I wouldn't recommend doing that, as the social interactions are excellent).

But if you do watch gameplay, watch from the beginning. Otherwise you wont have the attachment to the characters whoever is playing does, and you might not get the appeal of wanting to talk to everyone.

What I meant was that if you are after a game where you have battle after battle, you might not find the downtime between appealing. And if you skip the monastery, you miss out of a lot of world building and story. A big part of FE is that every character is unique, and much of the charactisation comes from out of combat (what I call the visual novel part).

And if he (or anyone else) would watch a let's play, it is better to see it from the beginning. Let's plays can be a good way to sample a game, sometimes better than demos.

Therad

JaxonH

Holy crap holy crap holy crap... EPIC!

On a map later in the game with the Death Knight for a Kill the Commander objective, and it’s my last chance to get my 2nd Dark Seal and reclass to the Advanced Dark Mage class (won’t get into how I lost my first two and had to get two more). He’s in the middle of the map with enemy reinforcements pouring in from four different corners without limit, plus archer and mage artilleries that can hit you anywhere on the map, and armored knights, Paladins and mages EVERYWHERE, even a few Divine Beasts. I split off into two groups and proceed to work my way around the perimeter when the death knight decides to retreat to a new exit, at which point I quickly realize he is halfway across the map for me and there’s no way I can catch him.

I had Dorothea within range for Meteor which can strike quite a distance aways, but he has a skill which allows him to counter-attack any distance and it was an automatic KO if I tried to attack him with her. And I did have my Bow Knight Shamir in range, but she would’ve died as well. Nobody on my team could take him without dying in the counterattack. I quickly realized only Byleth could attack and not die. But even then if I didn’t kill him in one turn he would surely finish me off, and even if he didn’t, the dozen other enemies around him now certainly would have.

But I’ve got one shot, so I say screw it. Where’s Linhardt. He has ONE WARP LEFT. Just one. And I’m able to warp Byleth within reasonable range, but I’m still not sure if I’m able to reach him after that. And I know that if I can’t he’ll just ride further off on the next turn and there’s no way I’ll be able to fight my way through a dozen enemies by myself to catch him, much less beat him. I’m able to get it within one diagonal square from the Death Knight. I made it!

But that’s only half the battle. Oh yes. I still have to kill him in one turn and NONE of my attacks can do it, not even with the Sword of the Creator WITH a combat art. However, I have a 46% chance at crit.... and if I miss, I die...

I roll the dice and go for it....

Cha-Ching!!! The critical cutscene blazes across the screen! Here is something to believe in. You’re dang right it is. BOOM! 120 critical damage to win the map, AND I got my Dark Seal! AND I GOT MY FREAKING DARK SEAL.

Edited on by JaxonH

rallydefault

FETH is definitely on the slower side, even compared to the 3DS games. But I love it, and you can control HOW slow you want things to be to a certain extent. Some people probably scour every corner of the monastery every time they get a chance. I don't. I usually do the rounds to talk to everyone, keeping half an eye out for items, but I'm in part two and still haven't read all the books in the library or spent serious time gifting items and recruiting as many people as possible.

So, I get to battles pretty quickly, but I really don't feel like I'm missing any story or characterization. I do have some hunches about what I COULD be doing with recruiting/decisions, though, and I'm already excited to try a different approach on my second playthrough.

rallydefault

TheFrenchiestFry

Does anyone else feel that Sonic Forces actively wanted to make them distance themselves from the series

It's so weird

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Ralizah

I was thinking about picking up Fire Emblem Warriors, since it's cheap on Amazon, but I realized I'd have to play with a bunch of lamers from Awakening/Fates and pretty much lost all interest.

I want a version with character from Three Houses. This Emblem has the best cast of any of the games I've played thus far.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

HobbitGamer

@Ralizah The exact same process went through my mind 😂. “I don’t want all these Smash characters! I want my Blue Lions!”

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic