Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 42,461 to 42,480 of 69,964

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Well, if that’s true then it just seems to be a case of needing some clarification. Hopefully my post shed some light on at least my POV, and what I mean by it (and by extension, what I believe a lot of others who, like me are not into anime, mean by it).

I imagine that, to you it seems very imprecise because you’re exposed to it so much that you see all the little differences. But to someone not into it, it all kind of blurs together and looks the same. It’s hard to elaborate on the specific style when you’re not even sure of the differences yourself. For the same reason I think a lot of FPS and open world realistic games all look the same. To people who are really into those games they see them as being worlds apart. Not even remotely similar. They’ll pick apart all the differences and they could rattle off 1000 different things that make them unique. But to me I’m like... uh huh. And I think that’s especially true for anime.

That’s not to say I can’t tell differences because even I can see there is quite a bit of variety. But that’s because I’ve been exposed to those games more and more over recent years. Five years ago I thought all of them looked like One Piece. It all looked exactly the same to me. So you have to understand, that’s what people see who aren’t into it. They don’t see the differences you see.

All I know is, either something appeals to my taste or it doesn’t. And as a general rule, anime art style does not appeal to my taste, at least, what I still perceive to be anime. The weird thing is, each year that passes by, as I’m exposed to more and more games in the artstyle, more and more of them start looking “normal” to me. And the ones that still don’t look normal, at least look more normal. The range of games that are offputting seems to shrink more and more each year. And I believe that is because I am acclimating to the art style. Which is precisely why a lot of those games you say are technically anime I don’t see as anime, because I’ve acclimated. They look normal to me now. The offputting style that used to stick out like a sore thumb, has faded. So the bubble of games that I classify as “super anime” (the degree is really important here), gets smaller and smaller. Xenoblade looked anime, but not that much. Only somewhat (as opposed to Neptunia/Kill la Kill/One Piece/Naruto/etc, which still strike me as being on the extreme end of the spectrum). Yet... I hear other people say they wouldn’t even play Xenoblade, or even Fire Emblem. And I have to assume that comes down to acclimation. Those people are where I was at five years ago, when the bubble still included everything.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH Five years ago, though, even anime virgin you would still, say, not find the artstyle in the Fire Emblem games to be off-putting, right? You probably also wouldn't watch a classic anime film like Ninja Scroll and find the style of the art to be off-putting. I'm sure you're acclimatizing somewhat to Japanese art styles (how could you not, given how many Japanese games you play these days?), but I think the big thing is that you're learning that the stereotypes you associate with the word "anime" (big eyes, little mouth, giant sweatdrops, provocatively dressed women, people randomly turning chibi, etc.) doesn't actually resemble a lot of what you'll find in the medium. Which, I think, supports my point: there is no anime art style, and you're learning that as you broaden your horizons and continue to find styles of Japanese character design that you find to be aesthetically pleasing (or, at least, not off-putting).

To be honest, while I understood it years ago, when Westerners had very little experience with anime, I find the notion of a person being "into anime" to be very weird. Like, I don't say I'm "into books," or "into live-action movies," you know? I like some books. I like some live-action movies. And, frankly, the same applies to anime. I don't just uncritically enjoy everything in the medium. I'm "into it" only insofar as I'm open to experiencing it with an open mind.

Anyway, I don't think we're disagreeing at all.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

HobbitGamer

All this just makes me wish there was a Robotech game on Switch. 😂

Has anyone put some time in DCU yet? I made a character, then got distracted for the rest of that night.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Grumblevolcano

August's NES games are Vice: Project Doom and Kung-Fu Heroes.

I'm starting to have doubts SNES is September or rather at the least that August isn't the last month of NES games.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano Geez, they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

HobbitGamer

@Grumblevolcano Ughhh, I’ve gotta scratch my head on that those August titles. It would be a nice surprise if they have something planned for the one-year next month.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Toy_Link
Second game is a Kunio-Kun title instead of Vice:Project Doom (despite it having a Japanese release)

Is this also the first month without a Nintendo first party title?

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Heavyarms55

sigh Nintendo, please, please, please, improve this. This slow trickle of NES titles is just so underwhelming. Game Boy, GBC, SNES. Come on, even if you stopped there it would be so much better.

And I would pay more if they started offering GBA N64 and Gamecube. I'd pay as much as PS4's service for that!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

kkslider5552000

Your monthly reminder from me that NSO and all mainstream console-wide online play should be free and that this entire NES service is a lazy way to try to justify it not being free when it could've been its own separate paid service.

I should probably literally just copy+paste that sentence and just post it every month. It was true before it came out, it was true 11 months ago when it changed to paid, it will be true even when they add better and more compelling games to the service.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

link3710

So, this makes the 12th release, right? I wagered way back when we'd see 12 releases of NES games before SNES came out in this year's Nintendo Direct, let's see if I was right.

link3710

Eel

It seems Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town will feature same-sex relationships in the form of the "best friends" system.

It would be the first time in the history of the series it is an option for a male playable character.

Source (in Chinese):
http://m.a9vg.com/article/51397

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

TheFrenchiestFry

Fresh off of my 300th rational argument against someone who refused to doubt that Persona 5 is coming to Switch

I hate Thursdays

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

HobbitGamer

That seems like 299 discussions too many 😂

#MudStrongs

Magician

Heavyarms55 wrote:

sigh Nintendo, please, please, please, improve this. This slow trickle of NES titles is just so underwhelming. Game Boy, GBC, SNES. Come on, even if you stopped there it would be so much better.

And I would pay more if they started offering GBA N64 and Gamecube. I'd pay as much as PS4's service for that!

Just remember that 24 SNES games for NSO were found the in Switch's code six months ago. Nintendo is waiting for those annual subs to run out in September/November before dropping those SNES games on us and...well if fish were NSO subs...
Untitled

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

CurryPowderKeg79

Yes @BlueBlur101 but isn't it Persona 5 S which is totally different from Persona 5.

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
ASPHALT 9: LEGENDS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

CurryPowderKeg79

Magician wrote:

Heavyarms55 wrote:

Just remember that 24 SNES games for NSO were found the in Switch's code six months ago. Nintendo is waiting for those annual subs to run out in September/November before dropping those SNES games on us and...well if fish were NSO subs...
Untitled

They better because as it stands now i'm letting my yearly NSO subscription elapse. As i've never played my Switch online and haven't played any of the NES games since Super Mario Bro's The Lost Levels.

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
ASPHALT 9: LEGENDS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

link3710

The only reason I have NSO right now is that it's free with Twitch Prime. We'll see if I ever decide it's worth paying for.

link3710

NintendoByNature

It's a shame too. I got the yearly online sub for the nes games being a big reason for it. That lasted like 6 months and i haven't opened the app in a while. It's such a poor effort as of late. But I was still playing splatoon regularly and I knew i was getting smash so I bought in. Now I play mm2 online almost every day so I'm really on the fence if i should renew it for that fact. Next month or if we have a direct with new information, I'll have to make my decision

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

NEStalgia

@BlueBlur101 Persona 5 is going to be announced in an October Direct along with the Switch Pro.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic